Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 12:53 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should we feel stupid playing the lotto?

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 11 years ago by TNPATL.

Page 4 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
New Mexico
United States
Member #12305
March 10, 2005
2984 Posts
Posted: July 5, 2005, 9:21 am - IP Logged

I know someone who is a self made millionaire who rags on people who play the lotto for being fools and idiots because the odds are so stacked against them, and even among the few schmucks who win most of them end up going into debt because they never learned how to manage money. He will say, most people playing the lotto are poor and with money problems already, and you can't and won't build wealth by having a tremendous amount of money dumped in your lap all at once with not the slightest plan for what to do with that money, winning the lotto does not changed the spending habits that get people in the mess they are in, blah blah blah...I'm not wealthy but I don't really have money problems (but that is beside the point) so now when I am standing in line with my ticket form filled out I always have this uneasy feeling and wonder if the person standing behind me feels the same way as my friend does?

Do people ever rag on you for playing the lotto? Maybe I *am* stupid to buy those tickets but I feel compelled to...I happen to think it's fun, so what if I blow a couple of dollars a week?

I tell my friend to lighten up but he has no sense of humor. It won't stop me from playing but I have to wonder how many other people feel this way?

When there's a line and I come in to buy a wheel with a deck of slips I've noticed there's occasionally a certain amount of winking and nodding to go with the sly smiles about it. 

For the most part I don't hold the opinions of others in high enough regard to care if they snicker... if it gives them amusement, fine enough.  They're not entirely wrong.  They just aren't entirely right.

I don't see many people in this life I'd admire enough to change places with, nor even to adopt their views on any subject at all.  This includes the people I see in lines, and probably includes your millionaire friend. 

Jack

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19813 Posts
    Posted: July 5, 2005, 9:31 am - IP Logged

Very few people can afford to play the lotteries just to loose money, but if the States want to make money and offer large jackpots to attract more players then a lot of people have to lose.  Just remember when you win, a lot of losers shared the cost of your winnings.  Buy your tickets at several locations, that way no one will know how much you're losing but you.Wink 

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

konane's avatar - wallace
      Atlanta, GA
      United States
      Member #1265
      March 13, 2003
      3333 Posts
      Posted: July 5, 2005, 9:43 am - IP Logged

Your friend is a self-made millionaire of course he's gonna rag on Lottery Players he already has money,if he didn't he might be one of those playing as well.

I Agree!     

Waaaay too easy to make judgments when someone has their "nose pressed against the glass" of someone else's life rather than attending to the full time job of running their own.

The lottery offers hope for change in a person's life when the change they desire might not happen without a windfall the lottery offers. 

On a good day the lottery gives lucky people a little walking around money plus a whole lot of fun for others.

Good luck to everyone!

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
        Member #5344
        June 30, 2004
        23641 Posts
        Posted: July 5, 2005, 10:04 am - IP Logged

This is an interesting topic.  I enjoyed it very much.  I will admit I have spent quite a bit in the TN lottery since Cash 3 has came out.

Number picking has become a hobby for me.  I liked  it so much I started playing online. 

As for money, I take my winnings and play back.. (what is left after buying savings bonds for the grand babies ) and I have a part time job that I use the money for entertainment use only.

I work for some friends in a couple stores they own. When time gets rough for them, I fill in and bring home $375 a week.  My agenda there was to make an extra $100 for entertainment.. but since there are $300 + weeks, I put it back for entertainment when there are $100.00 weeks..  None of the pay goes towards bills or groceries.. My career takes care of all that stuff. 

I ask people if they would like a 50 cent qp on Cash 3 and Cash 4 when they are in the store. Some will say they are wasting their money.  I had a man to hit for $500 for buying a ticket after I told him to take one chance..

I see people spend $400 + on Powerball for one drawing.  I find that sick..  I wouldnt take a week's pay and spend it like that.

Others spend $100 + a day on lottery scratch offs..  How do they afford it?  Beats me..

Many people are amazed when they ask me which scratch offs I like best and my response is "I don't play those games."  I have watched too many people lose their money on them, so I know it isn't the game to make profit with.  Why pay $5 to win a ticket worth $5 bucks.. I had soon keep my $5..

These are the same people who refuse to play the online games.. Cash 3, Cash4, Lotto 5 and Powerball. They say that is just wasting money..  I want to get their trashed tickets and hand it to them and say, "here is your money you didn't waste."

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
          Member #1826
          July 11, 2003
          2645 Posts
          Posted: July 5, 2005, 12:43 pm - IP Logged

It's all based on the luck of the draw. You might win, but more times than not you'll lose. If you can't handle that, you shouldn't be playing. You'll just get frustrated.

(insert signature here)

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: July 5, 2005, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

i heard a story right here on lottery post about a man who played 20 dollars on one number in cash 3 for years and one night right after he ate supper he was watching the drawing and when his numbers came up he died of a heart attack clutching the tickets in his hand.i guess he might've gotten too excited.....

Lottomike:

That's actually probably taken from the movie, 'Waking Ned Devine'.... probably available on DVD from your local library..... one of the two only lottery movies I've ever seen, unless you want to count 'Treasure of Sierra Madre', but the lottery was sort of incidental in TSM.

Good movie, Ned Devine, though... all about a lottery winner who died and a town that didn't think Ned would want them to lose the benefits of his win.

Jack

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: July 5, 2005, 1:20 pm - IP Logged

Buy your tickets at several locations, that way no one will know how much you're losing but you.Wink 

Alternatively, if you care that much what other people think, and you want them to think the other way, you could bring in a six inch thick deck of your old slips and hold them in plain view as you stand in line, along with a wad of cash in the other hand.  Make them think you're losing a lot more than you actually are.

I think I might try that just for grins.

Jack

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
                Member #5344
                June 30, 2004
                23641 Posts
                Posted: July 6, 2005, 12:12 am - IP Logged

I had a man to buy $45 dollars worth of st.. for  539 in TN yesterday.. 

The number fell st tonight.. I sure hope he replayed them for today...

I sure wish I had..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                  Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #7853
                  October 15, 2004
                  11338 Posts
                  Posted: July 6, 2005, 8:06 am - IP Logged

yep that would be over 20,000 dollars in winnings....

atlasshrugged's avatar - candle
                    Alaska
                    United States
                    Member #16217
                    May 27, 2005
                    287 Posts
                    Posted: July 6, 2005, 8:21 am - IP Logged

At the last convience store I worked at, there was a gentleman who came in regularly. He would pick one number and play it strait 80 times. He probably hit about once every 4 months or so. The way I figured it, if he played every draw, and I believe he did, he spent a total of $54,080 a year. When I first heard how he played, I thought to myself, how can he spend that much on the lottery especially when he is hitting only 3 times a year. Then I did the math. He's winning $40,000 each time his number hits or $120,000 per year. Subtract the $54,080 that he is spending and he still ends up with a profit of $65,920 for the year. That's more than I've ever made in one year. -Bonnie

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: July 6, 2005, 8:47 am - IP Logged

At the last convience store I worked at, there was a gentleman who came in regularly. He would pick one number and play it strait 80 times. He probably hit about once every 4 months or so. The way I figured it, if he played every draw, and I believe he did, he spent a total of $54,080 a year. When I first heard how he played, I thought to myself, how can he spend that much on the lottery especially when he is hitting only 3 times a year. Then I did the math. He's winning $40,000 each time his number hits or $120,000 per year. Subtract the $54,080 that he is spending and he still ends up with a profit of $65,920 for the year. That's more than I've ever made in one year. -Bonnie

Interesting implications to all that.

Back earlier this year, and once in the late '90s when I felt a lot of confidence in a particular set of numbers I used to buy 10-20 tickets with the same number on them, with the multiplier.  My figuring was that if the red ball hit the multiplier would at least get me my money back with a good return, and if it did better it could foil the  paramutual downside of jackpots and the higher bonus prizes.

I had a partner working with me on the thing in the '90s.... Mel, the guy who'd managed to dowse a trifecta with a swingrod..... we both figured there was no point in buying more than one set of numbers because we hadn't yet had the fickle nature of dowsing forced into our consciousness.

We gave up the 90s effort after a relatively long series of busts and minor paybacks.

But when I began playing the lottery again earlier this year I always bought the multiplier and it kept me roughly even for a few months...... a few times I was confident enough to play multiple tickets with the same number, still using the multiplier, but opted to quit when I kept seeing numbers I'd have bought tickets, but didn't because of this lunatic strategy, popping up  on the draws.

Lunatic strategy, I name it, but one I'd use again in a nonce if I ever manage to believe the exact six numbers for the next draw.

Jack

New York
                        United States
                        Member #18207
                        July 7, 2005
                        1 Posts
                        Posted: July 7, 2005, 3:15 am - IP Logged
                        I've been playing for years and won next to nothing. But I'll continue to play cos the lotto is always exciting to watch, and you NEVER know what the future holds.

Maybe I'll take a chance on this, I need all the help I can get.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=317&item=5985299043&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW 
                          four4me's avatar - gate1
                          MD
                          United States
                          Member #1701
                          June 18, 2003
                          8358 Posts
                          Posted: July 7, 2005, 4:32 am - IP Logged

i heard a story right here on lottery post about a man who played 20 dollars on one number in cash 3 for years and one night right after he ate supper he was watching the drawing and when his numbers came up he died of a heart attack clutching the tickets in his hand.i guess he might've gotten too excited.....

Lottomike:

That's actually probably taken from the movie, 'Waking Ned Devine'.... probably available on DVD from your local library..... one of the two only lottery movies I've ever seen, unless you want to count 'Treasure of Sierra Madre', but the lottery was sort of incidental in TSM.

Good movie, Ned Devine, though... all about a lottery winner who died and a town that didn't think Ned would want them to lose the benefits of his win.

Jack

Yep that was me who told that story my co worker passed away while sitting in his favorite chair holding 20 tickets fan fold style with the number 789 straight on them. The number finally came in he won enough money for his family to lay him out and put him in the ground.
                          On another note i read all the replies to this thread and some have good points. I think your millionaires are a typical bunch they often look down on less fortunate people and proclaim that we must all be idiots because were not millionaires also. And in part they have a good point one doesn't need to hit the lottery to become a millionaire. Although it wouldn't hurt me one bit if i did or someone else for that matter. I think moreover what he should have said or told you was that anyone who wants badly enough to become a millionaire has all the recourses at their disposal to become one after all we are capable of many things and there are million of things that haven't been invented yet. Any one of which could make you a millionaire ten times over.
                          He should have given other options as to how to join the ranks of the rich and famous. So since he didn't I'll give you some tips look around you at everything you see, feel, taste, hear and smell. There is money to be made in every one of our senses. Everything you touch, hear, taste, smell and see costs money or money can be made from those things. Find something you like to do and become the best at it or do something that has never been done before and you will find the millions that you might seek.
                            Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                            Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23258 Posts
                            Posted: July 7, 2005, 9:14 am - IP Logged
                            I've been playing for years and won next to nothing. But I'll continue to play cos the lotto is always exciting to watch, and you NEVER know what the future holds.

Maybe I'll take a chance on this, I need all the help I can get.....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=317&item=5985299043&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW 

People should be aware that (a) this is a rediculous scam, and (b) the person who posted the link is from London, the same city as the person who is selling their "luck", so it is likely that this is the seller posing as a potential customer.  You've been warned.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
                              Member #5565
                              July 11, 2004
                              260 Posts
                              Posted: July 7, 2005, 12:34 pm - IP Logged

Millionaire status is no longer a sign of wealth.  If you were a millionaire 10 years ago on either coast, you need at least three or four times as much to maintain the same standards with respect to the home you live in, the car you drive, the TVs you watch, and the other goods and services you can buy.  The flip side of the boom in oppulence is the amount of accumulated debt that's required to achieve the appearance of wealth.  The economy takes on about five dollars in debt for every dollar it produces.  If the economy contracts in any meaningful way, a lot of assets, mostly homes, are at risk of needing to be liquidated to meet foreclosures.