Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 8:56 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Should we feel stupid playing the lotto?

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 11 years ago by TNPATL.

Page 2 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
North Dakota
United States
Member #13397
April 5, 2005
1623 Posts
Posted: June 30, 2005, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

lol in the country there isn't anything else to do for fun. (Believe me I live in a small town)

How are you going to win if you don't play?

United States
    Member #1759
    June 29, 2003
    1156 Posts
    Posted: June 30, 2005, 3:29 pm - IP Logged

Your friend is a self-made millionaire of course he's gonna rag on Lottery Players he already has money,if he didn't he might be one of those playing as well.

SirMetro's avatar - center
      East of Atlanta
      United States
      Member #6191
      August 11, 2004
      1389 Posts
      Posted: June 30, 2005, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

play for profit...what a novel concept....I just sorta kinda figured it was a different type of dieting program I was on...spend money on tickets...no cash left for those snacks and sweets I really don't need any way.

Sir Metro

DirtyWrat's avatar - dirty rat_3051bs_mor.jpg
        Darlington, S.C.
        United States
        Member #3691
        February 12, 2004
        133 Posts
        Posted: June 30, 2005, 6:31 pm - IP Logged

They say lotteries are taxes on the stupid and/or poor.

I heard it was a redneck retirement fund.

With the lottery I get all the exercise I need.

In futility.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
          Tennessee
          United States
          Member #7853
          October 15, 2004
          11338 Posts
          Posted: June 30, 2005, 6:44 pm - IP Logged

just like that a**hole in line who told me that i was wasting my money and so i went to the car and showed him two copies where i won on 7866 and 6866 in one week,five thousand dollars on a couple 50 cent bets.i told him it isn't wise to run your mouth when you don't know what your talking about.fool he was.

atlasshrugged's avatar - candle
            Alaska
            United States
            Member #16217
            May 27, 2005
            287 Posts
            Posted: June 30, 2005, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

My family mostly thinks I am insane because I am convinced that I will one day hit a jackpot. I spend a decent amount of time looking at the patterns and trends. Not enough so that it takes away from my family but I have fun doing it. It's one of my hobbies. There are people who have hobbies which I think are just as insane and even more expensive than my lottery hobby. My husband, for instance, has jumped out of planes. That costs $180 a pop.

As for the lottery diet. I am probably on that as well. My husband and I both have a fixed amount of disposable income with which we can do what we want each week. He mostly buys cokes and other junk food with his spending money. I spend most of mine on lottery tickets. The result of me not eating all that crap? I am 5' 7" and weigh 125. So I guess that is one good thing which comes out of this hobby of mine.  

The great thing about my hobby too. Is that when I do hit. (cash 3 mostly) I will treat my whole family out to eat or go get us all a big surprise like a big bucket of ice cream. How many other hobbies allow someone to do that? Other folks may think I'm silly or stupid if they want but the main thing is the I have fun with it. As long as my family isn't suffering from my hobby, I don't think anyone else should have anything to say about it.  And I don't feel guilty about spending a few bucks on lottery tickets. -Bonnie

atlasshrugged's avatar - candle
              Alaska
              United States
              Member #16217
              May 27, 2005
              287 Posts
              Posted: June 30, 2005, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

just like that a**hole in line who told me that i was wasting my money and so i went to the car and showed him two copies where i won on 7866 and 6866 in one week,five thousand dollars on a couple 50 cent bets.i told him it isn't wise to run your mouth when you don't know what your talking about.fool he was.

I like you LOTTOMIKE. -Bonnie

Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: June 30, 2005, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19816 Posts
                  Posted: June 30, 2005, 9:47 pm - IP Logged

They say lotteries are taxes on the stupid and/or poor.

I heard in the Ohio news today that tomorrow taxes on cigarettes ares going up 70¢ a pack making a carton cost $40+ and taxes on alcohol is already high.  Everybody concerned about the stupid and the poor paying taxes, who's speaking up for the smokers and the alcoholics?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
                    Beautiful Florida
                    United States
                    Member #5709
                    July 18, 2004
                    20107 Posts
                    Posted: June 30, 2005, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

My family mostly thinks I am insane because I am convinced that I will one day hit a jackpot. I spend a decent amount of time looking at the patterns and trends. Not enough so that it takes away from my family but I have fun doing it. It's one of my hobbies. There are people who have hobbies which I think are just as insane and even more expensive than my lottery hobby. My husband, for instance, has jumped out of planes. That costs $180 a pop.

As for the lottery diet. I am probably on that as well. My husband and I both have a fixed amount of disposable income with which we can do what we want each week. He mostly buys cokes and other junk food with his spending money. I spend most of mine on lottery tickets. The result of me not eating all that crap? I am 5' 7" and weigh 125. So I guess that is one good thing which comes out of this hobby of mine.  

The great thing about my hobby too. Is that when I do hit. (cash 3 mostly) I will treat my whole family out to eat or go get us all a big surprise like a big bucket of ice cream. How many other hobbies allow someone to do that? Other folks may think I'm silly or stupid if they want but the main thing is the I have fun with it. As long as my family isn't suffering from my hobby, I don't think anyone else should have anything to say about it.  And I don't feel guilty about spending a few bucks on lottery tickets. -Bonnie

now that is a good habit, and a good hobby also....

and  NO you're not a fool.... If it makes you feel good, it's all worth it...! 

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                      Member #2338
                      September 17, 2003
                      2063 Posts
                      Posted: June 30, 2005, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

I've had strangers standing in line with a couple of six-packs and a carton of cigarettes tell me I'm wasting my money buying lottery tickets but being a friendly guy I smile, get my tickets and continue on my way. 

RJOh

Best quote ever. For me I wouldn't say anything for fear of some violent response.

Tennessee
                        United States
                        Member #7853
                        October 15, 2004
                        11338 Posts
                        Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

i got a half*** violent one until the guy realized he was wrong and looked at my winnings.all he could do was stammer.....uh i uh well.......lol

we;reallwinners's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
                          Member #12416
                          March 13, 2005
                          564 Posts
                          Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

I think that there is difference between those that just do easy picks, and those that actually study the games.

People win the lottery everyday........ and we take chances on our investments as well as walking across the street.

I think we are very optomistic when we play...... and if we don't win, we have at least helped to add to the winnings of someone else........right?

Hiding Behind Computerbe vewyvewy quiet, WewHuntingNumbers

Tennessee
                            United States
                            Member #7853
                            October 15, 2004
                            11338 Posts
                            Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:51 pm - IP Logged

the lottery is like my personal stock market,at least i know i won't get enroned,lol

we;reallwinners's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
                              Member #12416
                              March 13, 2005
                              564 Posts
                              Posted: June 30, 2005, 11:54 pm - IP Logged

I agree with you LOTTOMIKE!  and there no "load" involved......what about all that "return" on the money that we've all investing in Social Security?

Hiding Behind Computerbe vewyvewy quiet, WewHuntingNumbers