Car salesmen lottery pool wins $16 million jackpot

Aug 9, 2005, 1:11 pm (56 comments)

Illinois Lottery

Dan Fontana was set to buy tickets for Saturday's $16 million Illinois Lotto drawing with some friends from work but pulled out at the last minute.

Bad move. Really bad move.

Four of his fellow salesmen at an Oak Lawn auto dealership won the Lotto jackpot. They soon may no longer be his co-workers.

"I came to work and heard about it. After that, I just kind of wanted to go home," Fontana said.

The winners are Jeton Asani, 42, of Orland Park; Arben Gashi, 29, of Worth; his brother Nick Gashi, 28, of Bridgeview; and Chris Matyskiel, 30, of Chicago.

They filed the winning ticket Monday with the Illinois Lottery, opting for a lump-sum payment that's estimated at $1.6 million each after taxes.

Earlier Monday, they quit their jobs at the Haggerty Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealership, general manager Bill Haggerty said.

"I got here this morning, and they all had their keys in hand and their offices cleaned out," he said.

However, by Monday evening all four said they would wait a couple of weeks before deciding whether to continue working.

"I guess I'll just take a couple weeks off," Matyskiel said. "What else am I going to do?"

Before any of them jet off on an extravagant vacation, some shut-eye is in order.

"Since Saturday, I could only sleep for a couple of hours," Asani said.

Also Monday, Matyskiel and Nick Gashi bought new vehicles from the dealership — a Buick LaCrosse by Matyskiel and a GMC Denali by Gashi.

The four men had never pooled their money to buy lottery tickets, but Asani, Nick Gashi and Matyskiel decided last week to do so for Saturday's big prize.

They offered other Haggerty employees a chance to join the pool, with each person having to buy $50 in tickets. The only taker was Gashi's brother.

"Who knows if we'd have won with extra people," Asani said. "I feel bad for them, but then more people would mean less money for me."

The ticket was purchased from Oak Lawn Discount Tobacco, 9241 Cicero Ave., on Saturday, said the manager of the store, who identified himself only as Rod. The four winners returned Monday about 8 a.m., he said.

"They were elated, just jumping for joy," he said.

Meanwhile, there were some sullen faces at the Haggerty dealership Monday. While most employees seemed happy for their co-workers, they also couldn't help thinking about what might have been. A few salesmen joked about people being on "suicide watch."

One salesman had $20 when the offer was presented and had to ask for the other $30 from his girlfriend, Haggerty said. She wouldn't give him the money, he said.

Others, such as salesman Patrick Cunningham, just thought the $50 entry fee was too steep. He bought $5 worth of Lotto tickets at the same store, about 15 minutes after the winners.

"Yeah, I lost a little sleep over this," Cunningham said.

Haggerty salesman Sam Shalabi said he didn't enter because he doesn't gamble. Even after seeing his co-workers win, he doesn't plan on becoming a lottery regular.

"It happens once in a lifetime," he said. "It's not going to help to start buying tickets now."

Chicago Daily Southtown

Comments

CASH Only

How can you run a lottery pool if everybody has to buy $50 in tickets?

JAG331

Thud

Just6ntlc

I'm disappointed that a man decided not to buy lotto tickets and let other people win. I guess Dan has to keep working while some of his co-workers possibly not work anymore.

Jake649's avatarJake649

I find it hard to believe that is a serious question. It is so simple, I do not want to waste time explaining.

On a more positive note and as a strong believer in lottery pools, it is good to see pools winning. It appears to me that is the most common characteristics amoung all winners is the use of pools to win.

As lotteries move to bigger odds and bigger jackpots, lottery pools become more of a viable option.

Anybody interested in the $500 million Mega Millions pool I posted about before?

Good luck,
Jake

Todd's avatarTodd

It seemed to work pretty well for these four newly-made millionaires.

What's the most amount of money you ever spent at one time on lottery tickets?

Todd's avatarTodd

I'm disappointed that a man decided not to buy lotto tickets and let other people win. I guess Dan has to keep working while some of his co-workers possibly not work anymore.

You think?

nomoneybabe

Sad news !!! Disapprove So sorry to hear that ....

But ... $50/person for one pool is too much !!!

let's it be

RJOh's avatarRJOh

It's a good way to find out who can afford to play and who should keep their money for better things.  Those folks that didn't play aren't as sorry as they would have been had they spent $50 and lost.  Playing the lottery is gambling and people shouldn't gamble more than they can afford to lose.

RJOh

qutgnt

The more you play the more your chances of winning, bottom line. Those that couldnt afford to pony up the money or were too cheap dont deserve anything.  I hope there are no "iscriminatory lawsuits" that pop up at this joint.  I myself had 40 bucks on this draw, I would have joined that pool in a heartbeat.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

At their ages $1.6 mill is not serious retirement money unless the live fairly modest lives and make good investments. It's possible but I expect all will eventually have to return to the work pool. Congrats to the winners!

Elizabeth03's avatarElizabeth03

I think there are alot of smart lottery players here . I've noticed that reading people's posts and the predictions they make.See Ya!

lottomoney

i had a lottery pool going for that draw only collected $ 2. each person had 50 people in and are group only won $ 9 dollars total.Thud

lottolady24's avatarlottolady24

I was a part of a winning lottery pool about 5 years ago.  We hit 5 of six numbers with the sixth number 1 digit off.  Just so happened there was more than 4000 people that hit 5 that same week.  Split between 17 employees, we ended up with a meager $82 each!  Still moe than the $5 bet but a bit of a heartbreak to be so close!

No Pity!

BabyJC's avatarBabyJC

I bet the salesman whose girlfriend refused to lend him the $30 he needed to join the pool is going to break up with her now. LOL  It is surprising that they kicked in $50 each for only a $16 million (annuity) jackpot, but someone must have felt lucky!

konane's avatarkonane

"Dan Fontana was set to buy tickets for Saturday's $16 million Illinois Lotto drawing with some friends from work but pulled out at the last minute."

Sounds like he second guessed his original decision and lost so has to live with it.  That's life!!  Confused  Crying

tony2222

1.6 million is some serious cash when u consider these people are quite modest. if i had hit 1.6 I would be allset propably for like 30 years

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I bet the salesman whose girlfriend refused to lend him the $30 he needed to join the pool is going to break up with her now. LOL  It is surprising that they kicked in $50 each for only a $16 million (annuity) jackpot, but someone must have felt lucky!

The story didn't say anything about a lending.  Sounds like the kind of story I see on Judge Judy all the time, some guy ask a girl friend for money and when she ask to be repaid, he considered it a gift.  Had he got it, she probably would have had to go to court to split his share 50/50 even if she paid 60% of the cost and they would have broke up any way.  If some one has to ask their friends for money to gamble, they shouldn't gamble.

Chewie

At their ages $1.6 mill is not serious retirement money unless the live fairly modest lives and make good investments. It's possible but I expect all will eventually have to return to the work pool. Congrats to the winners!

You forgot about the tax-man - he has yet to spoil all the fun. Unearned income tax, with an income of over a million dollars, puts you at the top of the tax bracket. April 16th is NOT going to be a happy day at their house.

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

You forgot about the tax-man - he has yet to spoil all the fun. Unearned income tax, with an income of over a million dollars, puts you at the top of the tax bracket. April 16th is NOT going to be a happy day at their house.

The $1.6 mill is after taxes but I think  they only take out 25% so they *will* owe more. It will hit them sooner than Apr 15th. They'll have to estimate taxes quarterly and pay as they go.

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

50 bucks sounds steep for a pool that runs for every drawing. It's the reason I don't play though unless the jackpot is big. If I spend a lot on a drawing where the jackpot is big it makes up for all those times when the jackpot is small and I never played. Sure the numbers might come up when I'm not playing but odds are they will never come up at all. I just view the lottery as my small shot at having a permanent paid vacation.

pontiacsales

I really wish that the media would stop turning this story into a bad thing about dan he is a great guy that does not deserve this. he is sad enough without everyone asking him how it feels. the only reason he dident play is because he did not have the 50.00 on him. that was the first time we ever played together and we were lucky enough to win. we played with 50.00 because we figured that we had more chances of winning. It was the same thinking as if we went to a high class restaurant: you do it once in a great while, but you dont do it often.  And no one is retiring just taking a couple of weeks off!

konane's avatarkonane

I really wish that the media would stop turning this story into a bad thing about dan he is a great guy that does not deserve this. he is sad enough without everyone asking him how it feels. the only reason he dident play is because he did not have the 50.00 on him. that was the first time we ever played together and we were lucky enough to win. we played with 50.00 because we figured that we had more chances of winning. It was the same thinking as if we went to a high class restaurant: you do it once in a great while, but you dont do it often.  And no one is retiring just taking a couple of weeks off!

If you are indeed one of the lucky winners, Congratulations!!!  Party  And if you are who you imply, sounds like a one time pool of a high amount to take a chance on the mother lode you all reeled in.

Again Congratulations to the winners!!  Party

Rick G's avatarRick G

Pontiacsales...yes, congratulations...and yes I saw Dan interviewed on WGN (or Fox) and felt really sorry for him.  He didn't look like a happy camper....I don't think he needs any more 'grief' right now.

Todd's avatarTodd

Hey, congrats! 

If you get an interview on TV/in the papers, see if you can get them to mention Lottery Post! 

(That's my standard request to winners, because it really helps spread the word about this site, and it's great to have previous winners join our "club" here.)

wizeguy's avatarwizeguy

Welcome to Lottery Post and again congrats on the win! At my age I'd quit for good with a win like that. At your ages I'd take more than a few weeks off and pick up some classes on investing. I'd still leave the investing to the professionals but the more I'd know about the process the better off in the long run. Enjoy your newfound wealth and don't forget your favorite charities!

four4me

Congratulations Pontiacsales. you are our first jackpot winner of 05 to report in. Yes it was sad that your partner didn't have the out of pocket cash. I know how that feels. Where i worked at when we had a pool there was a saying no pay no play a lot of people wanted in the pool on a promissory note and that's not the way it works. Even though we knew people had the cash available (at home in the bank whatever) if they didn't have their money in the pot by the time we were going to get the tickets they were SOL.
I know it feels great to win i hope you have continued success and good fortune. Great win enjoy it.
fja's avatarfja

Same thing happened to me once.  Lady had a dream of a 3 digit number.....told her dream to about 10 people....they each played 2 bucks straight and called the bookie....I didnt have $2 on me so I said no (figured 3 digit straight bet is a long shot) it hit as I watched TV.....talk about feeling like an idiot......who would have thunk it.......never again.....

I have to say at $50 to get into the pool...Chances are I would still be working!! (If i was single i would probably be in it)  

pontiacsales

thanks everyone,  im still sitting here trying to figure out how 16 mil. came out to 1.68 each. and how much more the irs is going to take? however, its still going to buy me a house. at 30 and no house payment is going to be nice. I promised a pizza party for everyone at chucky cheese if i won so i am going to play lots of skiball. thanks again.

konane's avatarkonane

thanks everyone,  im still sitting here trying to figure out how 16 mil. came out to 1.68 each. and how much more the irs is going to take? however, its still going to buy me a house. at 30 and no house payment is going to be nice. I promised a pizza party for everyone at chucky cheese if i won so i am going to play lots of skiball. thanks again.

Locate a good reputable tax attorney and let them explain it all.  Could be your smartest investment.  Good luck to you and yours!! 

Litebets27's avatarLitebets27

Welcome to the site and congratulations Pontiacsales and to your pool mates Wtg. When I ran a pool at work for a Mega million draw, one of my co-workers thought I was being mean to her, when she would not participate by putting up $1.00, but asked everyone if we won would we share with her, and I said "no". We did not win, but if we had it would have been her loss. I feel sorry for Dan, but it was his choice to not put up. LOL to him the next time he has that decision to make.

litebets

Todd's avatarTodd

The $16 Million becomes $8 Million when you take the Cash Option, then Uncle Sam takes 25% Federal of the $8 Million, plus Illinois takes an additional 3%.

Don't forget you'll probably owe a little more at the end of the year, depending on how many charitable contributions and such that you make.

jporter
To all on the forum:  If one wins a jackpot in a lottery pool, what
form of ownership should one chose for the group?  Are there
tax issues that need to be addressed in selecting this form of
ownership?

It seems to me there was at one time tax sheltering
used by authors of books that got large advances before the 
book was published.  Is it not possible to claim lottery winnings
as a one time shot and pay a lower amount in taxes?  Can others
discuss ownership of group lottery wins? 
thousandair's avatarthousandair

Poor guy just wasn't his time to win, Maybe he will win a bigger prize than the one he didn't go with  but i on the other hand would have handed them  a c-  note  for a piece of that prize. Sometimes s happens.

psykomo's avatarpsykomo

FIRST of ALL CONGRATUATIONSSSSSSSSSSSSS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

to  your WINNERS CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a What  kind of car

would you buy on LP ...............try to post on that one if you EVER have ....

time for post'g.........(BUT)????? DID you buy Quick PICKs or did you work 

on individual numbers????????? I am a car crazy..............person and .....

a Quick PICK .............theory promoter...............used  a lot of  lottery<<<

software programs....(quit-that) about a year and now trying to win^^^ 

with QUICK PICKs??????????????????????????????????????????????????

LOL

PSYKOMO 

Todd's avatarTodd

Good point psykomo!  It will be interesting to see if they buy Pontiacs! Wink

pontiacsales

i bought a buick lacrosse cxs. however, the pontiacs are great cars. i owned a pontiac g6 and loved it. as for the numbers, we played qp. we also had a fifty dollor winner as well. and i played 38.00 of it on scratch off tickets after we came back from the lotto office. I won 100.00 so i gave dan those tickets. he went and played it on mega-millions. i hope he wins something.

CASH Only

Congratulations PontiacSales!

I'm sure glad you took the cash! Now you have to hit Mega Millions!Disney Going to Disney World?

Todd's avatarTodd

i bought a buick lacrosse cxs. however, the pontiacs are great cars. i owned a pontiac g6 and loved it. as for the numbers, we played qp. we also had a fifty dollor winner as well. and i played 38.00 of it on scratch off tickets after we came back from the lotto office. I won 100.00 so i gave dan those tickets. he went and played it on mega-millions. i hope he wins something.

I think it's great that you put your money where your mouth is and bought a GM car.  I'm a fellow GM owner myself — you can check out my Vette on my home page.

jporter

PontiacSales,

I had a '58 Bonneville Convertible.  It was the best car of my
life, even greater than the '66 Corvette Stingray.  There was no
way to get any in the corvette, but the "Bonne" had big bench
seats, front and back.  What a car.  When I will MegaMillions I 
will search the globe high and low for a frame up restoration. 
JimmySand9

With 400 combinations being played by this pool 3 times a week, it was only a matter of time. But you have got to feel sorry for that other guy.

harry nuts

With 400 combinations being played by this pool 3 times a week, it was only a matter of time. But you have got to feel sorry for that other guy.

Stop kidding yourself by thinking its only a matter time. Many have been doing larger combinations for years and have not hit the jackpot. It was purely luck. Even with 400 combinations they still had a 99.99% chance of losing. Saying its only a matter of time is nothing more then chasing a pipe dream. Im glad to her that some hard working middle class fellows struck it rich though.

Congratulations PontiacSales to you and you and your friends. If you all play it smart with a stake like that you will have the opportunity to build a dynasty that your families can enjoy for years to come. Be very careful what you do. Think smart. These guys who say that you have to go back to work are pure idiots. You can easily compound 1.6 million into over $100,000 a year using secure investments and still keep your stake. This is something to be discussed with a financial advisor. Take care

RJOh's avatarRJOh

I know among all the lottery players in our town of 30 thousand, over 400 combinations are bought twice every week for our local State lottery and nobody from our town has ever won it.  I matched 5of6 a few years back at a store that sold a lot of lottery tickets and I was surprised to learn that I was their biggest winner in 3 years.  Buying a lot of lottery tickets only guarantee your chances of losing a lot of money.

harry nuts

I know among all the lottery players in our town of 30 thousand, over 400 combinations are bought twice every week for our local State lottery and nobody from our town has ever won it.  I matched 5of6 a few years back at a store that sold a lot of lottery tickets and I was surprised to learn that I was their biggest winner in 3 years.  Buying a lot of lottery tickets only guarantee your chances of losing a lot of money.

You pretty much hit the nail right on the head. There are over 20 million possible combinations in a 6/52 drawing and the IRS tries to screw you as if winning the lotto is some easy task.

I heard a story of a group of millionares who put their money together and tried to corner a lottery drawing which had went way over ($$$) the amount of possible combinations. They played all the possible combinations and they did have it cornered but there was only one problem. Some poor shmuck who lived in the mountains bought one ticket for that drawing and won the pot with the investors. It didnt work as planned so the investors got the high hard one :) in turn losing millions of dollars.

Lottery should be played for fun. If you guys want to play a game with a strong positive expectancy I would suggest you read up on the financial markets and learn some strategies. Once you do this you can buy software that will test your ideas on historical data telling you how good your so called edge has performed in the past. There are many edges that can be exploited in the financial markets but dont expect to get rich quick. 

This is a lottery forum so I will leave it at that :)

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

It seemed to work pretty well for these four newly-made millionaires.

What's the most amount of money you ever spent at one time on lottery tickets?

i bought 300 dollars worth of powerball tickets at one point BUT i learned a very valuable lesson.it only takes one dollar to win....

RJOh's avatarRJOh

What really hurts is when you make out a list of 10 combinations or so to play and then decide to add a bunch more just because the jackpot is so big and the only ticket that wins anything is on the original list of 10.  I have played 50-100 lines at times, but I have never won anything beyond the thirteenth lines, so I have decided to limit my picks to 20 lines until I figure out why my first picks are my best picks.  That might not happen if I bought QP's.

golotto

"It happens once in a lifetime," Shalabi said. "It's not going to help to start buying tickets now."

I beg to differ. Multiple lottery wins can and do happen. It certainly could happen again in their lifetime; even for someone who still works at that dealership. The only way is to buy a ticket.

ms billionaire's avatarms billionaire

It's all about  the right time and place. Those four salesmen where destined to become winners.

I believe  "IT'S JUST NOT THERE TIME" whatever the circumstances of the other salesmen not being able to be in on the pool for that drawing....

.....my time and your time will come.....

WTG on the win pontiacsales.....

harry nuts

It's all about  the right time and place. Those four salesmen where destined to become winners.

I believe  "IT'S JUST NOT THERE TIME" whatever the circumstances of the other salesmen not being able to be in on the pool for that drawing....

.....my time and your time will come.....

Look at it this way. If they didnt ask those two salesman who turned it down to play they may have not generated those numbers that hit the jackpot. They might of bought them 5 minutes earlier and not have the same outcome. Who knows?

They should thank those two guys for turning it down. I personally would give each of them $10,000 but thats just me.

i would too.just to be nice and be good hearted i'd give the guy who asked his girlfriend to chip in maybe 10,000 after all he was gonna join in.it wasn't like he turned them down....

harry nuts

i would too.just to be nice and be good hearted i'd give the guy who asked his girlfriend to chip in maybe 10,000 after all he was gonna join in.it wasn't like he turned them down....

Yes. They could all throw in $2500 a piece which is pretty much chump change for them now.

Todd's avatarTodd

harry nuts,

After getting past your interesting username, I found that you had some good commentary.  Welcome to LP.

harry nuts

harry nuts,

After getting past your interesting username, I found that you had some good commentary.  Welcome to LP.

Thanks Todd

I look forward to posting in here every here and there. I personally know 3 of those guys who won this drawing, They are family friends of ours. Two of them are brothers and another one of them is thier uncle beleive it or not. What a lucky family they are :)

We have spoke with them and they are very excited

RJOh's avatarRJOh

That is nice and good hearted and it nice to see some players think that way, sorry to say that I'm not one of them.  The other day after chasing the Ohio lottery for five drawings at $20 a draw I matched 4of6 for $100 and when I cashed my ticket, the clerk told me it was not unusual for winners of a $100 to give $20 to the clerk for cashing their ticket.  I laughed and told her that I didn't do that, I hope she was joking.

harry nuts

That is nice and good hearted and it nice to see some players think that way, sorry to say that I'm not one of them.  The other day after chasing the Ohio lottery for five drawings at $20 a draw I matched 4of6 for $100 and when I cashed my ticket, the clerk told me it was not unusual for winners of a $100 to give $20 to the clerk for cashing their ticket.  I laughed and told her that I didn't do that, I hope she was joking.

That clerk was full of it. $100 is nothing. Enough for you to buy a bag of groceries. 1.6 million is a different story.

RJOh's avatarRJOh

That clerk was full of it. $100 is nothing. Enough for you to buy a bag of groceries. 1.6 million is a different story.

That's my point, a nice and good hearted friend would have covered the additional $30 he needed to get into the pool in the first place, after all $30 wasn't much for a $250 pool.  Does winning $1.6M before taxes ever turn a person into a more good hearted and giving person?  It would take a lot more than that for me to start handing out $10K to my co-workers or anyone else who wanted  it.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story