Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 7:05 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Lotto South- Potential New Draw Days

Topic closed. 37 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What if Lotto South were to move to Mondays and Thursdays? Would you like that better?

Yes. [ 11 ]  [78.57%]
No. [ 3 ]  [21.43%]
Total Valid Votes [ 14 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 3 ]  

United States
Member #379
June 5, 2002
11296 Posts
Posted: September 8, 2005, 1:07 pm - IP Logged

just6:

Imagine Lotto South with Texas (and Florida.) We all can speculate.

United States
    Member #1826
    July 11, 2003
    2645 Posts
    Posted: September 8, 2005, 1:34 pm - IP Logged

just6:

Imagine Lotto South with Texas (and Florida.) We all can speculate.

I don't think I want to. Imagine a 6/69 with no match 2 prize. Doesn't sound good does it? Well that's what I imagine Lotto South being if it's that big. Just add 5 balls, add South Carolina, and leave it. We don't need another Mega Millions.

(insert signature here)

United States
      Member #379
      June 5, 2002
      11296 Posts
      Posted: September 9, 2005, 4:29 pm - IP Logged

js:

No one is suggesting Lotto South have 100+million odds. But it DOES need a matrix change.

United States
        Member #379
        June 5, 2002
        11296 Posts
        Posted: September 30, 2005, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

We may never see a matrix change to LS. Kentucky may be pulling out next year.

Tnplayer805's avatar - G 14_v78828750_Small.JPG
          North Dakota
          United States
          Member #13397
          April 5, 2005
          1623 Posts
          Posted: October 5, 2005, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

I think LS is doomed.  Just my opinion.  :(  I hate it but it looks that way.  Bring back Lotto GA!!!

How are you going to win if you don't play?

United States
            Member #379
            June 5, 2002
            11296 Posts
            Posted: October 6, 2005, 10:46 am - IP Logged

"Classic" lotto games may continue to decline. I still think there should be more multi-state jackpot games, like the proposed Michigan-Ohio game.

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: October 7, 2005, 12:56 am - IP Logged

Classic games won't decline as much if they promote what makes them different.

•    
              • Better Jackpot Odds
              •    
              • Simpler Gameplay
              •    
              • Knowing that all the money will go winners in their home state.
              The niche is there, they just need to let it be known.

(insert signature here)

United States
                Member #379
                June 5, 2002
                11296 Posts
                Posted: October 8, 2005, 4:08 pm - IP Logged

I still think Georgia, Kentucky, and Virginia did the right thing by starting LS. It simply lacked better execution.

konane's avatar - wallace
                  Atlanta, GA
                  United States
                  Member #1265
                  March 13, 2003
                  3348 Posts
                  Posted: October 8, 2005, 11:08 pm - IP Logged

I think LS is doomed.  Just my opinion.  :(  I hate it but it looks that way.  Bring back Lotto GA!!!

Bring back Lotto GA!!!"

I Agree!   

Good luck to everyone!

United States
                    Member #5565
                    July 11, 2004
                    260 Posts
                    Posted: October 9, 2005, 11:05 am - IP Logged

Their last chance for keeping the game alive is for North Carolina to pick Mega Millions and they also consider adding Lotto South.  Adding South Carolina and perhaps Maryland, as well as retaining Georgia, would create the possibility of an Atlantic Coast Conference Lotto.  This would all necessitate a realignment of the drawing dates and a larger matrix.

konane's avatar - wallace
                      Atlanta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #1265
                      March 13, 2003
                      3348 Posts
                      Posted: October 9, 2005, 11:58 am - IP Logged

The decision to join Lotto South was ill made by our former lottery director whose penchant for greed caused her to take actions which shot her in the foot with declining sales.  It showed very clearly with the implementation of the "Change Game" which was a computer generated farce designed to wring every last penny from players.  The strategy was beyond obvious.

Georgia players like Texas players have a nose for greed and recoiled by sitting on our wallets.  Lotto South is nowhere near the wonderful game we were told it would be because we remember Lotto Georgia which was fun, which we spent money playing and because of the lower matrix often got a few dollars back for lower tier wins. 

The Georgia spending mindset does not conform to surrounding states.  I'm not sure why but know that the Atlanta area is trendy, frugal for the most part, and people will not spend the kind of money the lottery is looking for if they're being lead around by pie in the sky for which they can't even get a nibble.  High matrix games are just that.

I personally don't care what direction Lotto South goes in with respect to decisions made by other state lotteries.  I just hope Georgia gets out of Lotto South and really don't care if it is replaced or not.

As for me if they ratchet up the matrix in another smoke an mirrors mini-clone of MM or PB then I will simply send my discretionary lottery dollars out of state to friends or family to play lower matrix games. 

However, if online ticket purchases become the norm lotteries can learn the hard way what players really want. 

Good luck to everyone!

United States
                        Member #5565
                        July 11, 2004
                        260 Posts
                        Posted: October 20, 2005, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

I believe this next drawing is the first one where the prize amount has been bumped by 1 million. 

They could keep LS and fill the void with a 5-ball lotter similary to Washington state's Quinto which has better odds, somewhat smaller prizes, and a 1-in-10 chance of getting the lowest prize.  As more states (North Carolina) join one of the big two multistate lotteries, PB and MM will continue to eat at away at instate classic lotteries.

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: November 15, 2005, 4:36 pm - IP Logged
                          It's a damn shame that KY is considering bailing out (and replacing it with a "lose for life" game, of all things) rather than increasing the matrix and encouraging states like Louisiana and the Carolinas to join.

United States
                            Member #5565
                            July 11, 2004
                            260 Posts
                            Posted: November 16, 2005, 11:10 am - IP Logged

It makes more sense to sign up contiguous states MD, SC, and NC in the same manner as Hot Lotto.  They need to increase the second-tier prizes to attract more players.  They're never going to be able to compete head-on with PB/MM.

What happens to the money remaining in the jackpot at the end of a game?  Does it all go to the states?

United States
                              Member #13801
                              April 14, 2005
                              48 Posts
                              Posted: November 16, 2005, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

Ya'll seem to be missing the point, in regards to Lotto South.  It was never meant to compete directly with PB/MM, which is why the Lotto South states also offer PB/MM.  If they wanted Lotto South to compete with PB/MM, they would have just dropped those large jackpot games and only had Lotto South, forcing people to put all their money into Lotto South.

They have both games because they're both different, exactly as they intended it to be.  They know that many people don't care for the astronomical odds that PB/MM offer, so they obviously wanted to get a game that would attract those buyers.  Hence, Lotto South.  It provides a nice sized jackpot, with much better odds than PB/MM.

If they start increasing the Lotto South matrix or changing it to closer match PB/MM, then they will have completely changed the whole point of having it in the first place.  And my question is, who exactly is going to be attracted to Lotto South if they increase the matrix?

PB/MM players?  Nope, because the Lotto South jackpots would still be much smaller than PB/MM.

Lotto South players?  Nope, because the reason they play the game is for the smaller odds.  You'll actually LOSE some of these players.

5-Number lottery game players?  Nope, because they obviously thought Lotto South's odds were too high to begin with.

Many states realize this, which is why more and more often they are replacing lottery games with a game that has a SMALLER matrix (Ohio is the latest example).  I'm not really sure why Kentucky is dropping why Lotto South, but I'm assuming it's because they think the matrix is too high.  Are they replacing it with a game that has a smaller matrix?

If a state only had Lotto South and not PB/MM, I could understand the argument for a larger matrix, but as it is, I don't see how a larger matrix will help more than hurt.

I'm curious to hear counter arguments to this debate.