Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 10:50 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

PowerBall Confessions, Not Tall Tales

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 11 years ago by scorpio.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
Member #4416
April 22, 2004
1075 Posts
Posted: September 5, 2005, 11:18 am - IP Logged

Greetings my fellow PowerBall players,

How are we doing with the new PowerBall format? I mean, how are we really doing? I'm not talking about hypothetical results like those attained in MADDOG10's challenge series. I'm talking about the tickets we actually buy and cash for real money. Is anyone doing any good? Has the new format thrown your stategy off or has it made no difference? Ponder

I told myself I'd quit playing when the game changed, but I guess the lure of giant jackpot win is more than I can resist. LOL  I did cut my PowerBall play back to $5 per drawing and I put the balance into a $200,000 4/33 + 1/31 eight-way game. Thus far, I haven't cashed a ticket on either game in the two draws I've played.

I threw out the old PowerBall history. Playing five lines altogether, I'm using two lines of my own selections and three QPs for the 5/55 matrix. I'm picking my own red PowerBall with one of the lines of my own selections and QPs for the other four red PowerBall numbers.  I plan to start making systematic use of the new history after 11 draws. Type

On Saturday I matched only one number (30) on two of my QP lines. I honestly don't recall what I had on the first drawing, but I know I didn't cash a ticket. That puts me $10 down. PowerBall has always been a tough game, and the new 5/55 matrix has made it even tougher. Sometimes I think they ought to be paying us to play. I'll keep trying though. Bang Head

Anybody else care to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth about their real PowerBall play? Skeptical

Just curious,

aye'

Morrison, IL
    United States
    Member #4657
    May 13, 2004
    1884 Posts
    Posted: September 5, 2005, 2:09 pm - IP Logged

Yeah, many players must have felt the same way as you after the first drawing, because they sold about $3 million less than normal for that drawing, but then on the second drawing, sales were back to normal for that particular jackpot level.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
      Wisconsin
      United States
      Member #1303
      March 27, 2003
      1508 Posts
      Posted: September 5, 2005, 2:10 pm - IP Logged

Frankly, I don't think it could or can be "cracked". There are just too many combinations. I spend $3 -- most often I just randomly pick 5 numbers myself, then let the computer QP the Powerball. Sometimes I reverse that procedure. Unless I forget to do it, then I go with entire QPs. This is a game where...if you're going to win, you're going to win. But there's little if anything you can do to better your odds, so I'm not going to spend much time on it. It's luck.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19817 Posts
        Posted: September 5, 2005, 4:37 pm - IP Logged

If your strategy is to by some QPs, then the new formats shouldn't change it.  With MegaMillions, all the additional numbers have now hit at least twice so players can compare the last 13 drawings to the last 345 drawings to get a sense of how the new format might change their strategies in the future.

My sense is if their strategies were working, they will continue to work, just not as often.  The MADDOG10 challenges have gone from a 18+6 to a 15+5 numbers selection so the results will change even if the formats stayed the same.  It's unlikely these challenges will have any more 5+1 results. 

From recent posts in the discussion and systems forums, other members are also starting to think some of the stories of successful systems and strategies are just a bunch of tall tales and they might be right.  That is the reason I created and monitors my own system, that way I can recheck my results to see if they are real or hypothetical.

When Todd add the feature that allow players to chose to hide their predictions until after the drawings,  posters who claim to have a successful strategy or system will be able to demonstrate them without fear or sharing the jackpot if they really work so those who want brag can back it up.

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
          Member #9579
          December 12, 2004
          2121 Posts
          Posted: September 6, 2005, 12:26 pm - IP Logged

oh no,you mean instead of winning 3 bucks twice a week,now we'll just win once a week?

Greenwich, CT
            United States
            Member #4793
            May 24, 2004
            1822 Posts
            Posted: September 6, 2005, 12:58 pm - IP Logged

Aye, good to see you around the forums.

The exciting thing for me is that Powerball didn't change the Red Powerball matrix...still 1/42, so I feel fine using the past 304 draws as solid history.  I'm not sure if the draw machine was changed??

I'm holding off right now on playing PB until I can get a grip on the 5/55.  Plus, MM is on its 6th?consecutive run of hitting $100m jackpots?

United States
              Member #9579
              December 12, 2004
              2121 Posts
              Posted: September 6, 2005, 1:25 pm - IP Logged

when i could afford gas,i went back and forth,now i'm stuck with pb.

Greenwich, CT
                United States
                Member #4793
                May 24, 2004
                1822 Posts
                Posted: September 6, 2005, 2:07 pm - IP Logged

Scorpio, move down to Brattleboro!

The best thing I ever did was move right onto the stateline. My PB store is 500 yards away, and my MM store is 1500 yards.

United States
                  Member #9579
                  December 12, 2004
                  2121 Posts
                  Posted: September 6, 2005, 3:00 pm - IP Logged

good idea,and it would cut down on the deductions for gambling expenses,gas,etc.of course you can only deduct up to the amount you win!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19817 Posts
                    Posted: September 6, 2005, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Since MegaMillions has a decent jackpot most of the time, the matrix of the MM and PB are similar and driving to Indiana just to buy lottery tickets seems like a waste of gas, I'm just playing the local MegaMillions.  Maybe if I concentrate on the one game, I will do better.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                      Member #1826
                      July 11, 2003
                      2645 Posts
                      Posted: September 6, 2005, 3:36 pm - IP Logged

I'm convinced that the key to Powerballs difficulty in cracking it lies in the machine they use. There's very little room for weight between balls to make a difference. Gravity-pick machines in general are tough to crack, but Powerball and it's Halogen machine take the cake.

(insert signature here)

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                        Member #4416
                        April 22, 2004
                        1075 Posts
                        Posted: September 8, 2005, 7:59 pm - IP Logged

It's nice to hear from some of the PowerBall aficionados, pundits, and players - even if some of the posts were unresponsive or off-topic. LOL It seems that either most people here aren't really playing PowerBall, or people just don't want to own up to the results of their play.

Well, for my part, I played my usual five lines on Wednesday night with no cash return. I managed to match two numbers (50 and 54) on one of my QP lines, but that amounts to nada in this game. I'm now $15 in the hole for the three draws under this new format. Maybe dumb luck will smile on me sometime in the next eight draws before I go to messing things up with a systematic selection method. I'll take a win any way I can get it.

Did anybody cash a good ticket on Wednesday night? Or are there any other PowerBall players sinking into the red?

Better luck,

aye'

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                          Mcminnville, Oregon
                          United States
                          Member #3013
                          December 13, 2003
                          3047 Posts
                          Posted: September 8, 2005, 8:38 pm - IP Logged

Well I played 5 lines on the 7th for powerball and the most I had was two numbers on one line and one number on two other lines.  So since the new matrix has started I have not hit for any win yet.  But I still remain upbeat about a future jackpot coming my way.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                            Magnolia, Delaware
                            United States
                            Member #18795
                            July 20, 2005
                            789 Posts
                            Posted: September 10, 2005, 5:21 pm - IP Logged

Yes the new matrix has messed things up for me..... I must admit I have had runs in the past for 1 or 2 wins per 5 dollar ticket for 3 and 4 dollars, but now nothing since the change! One month before the change my picked numbers won for 100 dollars and one Qp line on another ticket won for 4 dollars! I'm going to get back to my norm one-day, but when that will happen is the question I keep asking myself.

I buy 20 dollars worth of PB tickets at a clip per drawing (depending on the jackpot size). MM is also 20 dollars worth per clip per drawing (depending on the jackpot size). 

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true!

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                              Mcminnville, Oregon
                              United States
                              Member #3013
                              December 13, 2003
                              3047 Posts
                              Posted: September 10, 2005, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

September 10 drawing my siege on powerball has continued on in what is a long saga of missing numbers and heartache.  I had 2 numbers on one line and 1 number on one line.  Once again out of the prize money but maybe next time the sun will shine on me.