Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:52 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Remaining anonymous if you win jackpot?

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #23787
October 16, 2005
68 Posts
Posted: October 16, 2005, 7:08 pm - IP Logged

After doing lot of search, I found that only few states allow winner to remain anonymous. But it is wise to remain anonymous (in my opinion and also after reading lot of stories). I have read about forming a trust (in which all 3 parties are you) and which can claim prize on your behalf. What are the options that come to mind of LP members about how to remain anonymous?

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: October 16, 2005, 7:31 pm - IP Logged

If you're prepared to win, remaining anonymous shouldn't be that big a problem. Smile for the camera; after negotiating the rules of the press conference with your Lottery Director. Remember, they need you to be a willing participant more than you want to be there. The last thing they want is some one standing in front of the press and television complaining about something. Have a lawyer negotiate something you want. Like arranging a huge cash advance with one of the banks they deal with. When you win multimillions, you are no longer the minnow in the pond, you instantly became a large-mouth bass!

A few weeks after you win, the spotlight will be on something else. There will also be some rich teenage tramp getting herself in trouble on some exotic island, then you won't be interesting. The spotlight only remains lit when you keep your finger on the switch. Hide out for a while; take that extended vacation to China, Australia, Scotland, or Switzerland. Enjoy yourself. Have young kids?  Rent Six-Flags Over Texas for a day!  Buy a house some where, not necessarily in this country, and donate your old place to the church down the street. You can have a Personal Assistant pick up your personal items and bring them to you.

Think about this, when is the last time you heard about John Cartier, or Christopher Ewen? You probably don't even recognize their name. Both of them won major Powerball jackpots! Your ten minutes of fame only lasts ten minutes. Anything longer than that is entirely your fault.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #1340
      April 6, 2003
      2450 Posts
      Posted: October 16, 2005, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

If you're prepared to win, remaining anonymous shouldn't be that big a problem. Smile for the camera; after negotiating the rules of the press conference with your Lottery Director. Remember, they need you to be a willing participant more than you want to be there. The last thing they want is some one standing in front of the press and television complaining about something. Have a lawyer negotiate something you want. Like arranging a huge cash advance with one of the banks they deal with. When you win multimillions, you are no longer the minnow in the pond, you instantly became a large-mouth bass!

A few weeks after you win, the spotlight will be on something else. There will also be some rich teenage tramp getting herself in trouble on some exotic island, then you won't be interesting. The spotlight only remains lit when you keep your finger on the switch. Hide out for a while; take that extended vacation to China, Australia, Scotland, or Switzerland. Enjoy yourself. Have young kids?  Rent Six-Flags Over Texas for a day!  Buy a house some where, not necessarily in this country, and donate your old place to the church down the street. You can have a Personal Assistant pick up your personal items and bring them to you.

Think about this, when is the last time you heard about John Cartier, or Christopher Ewen? You probably don't even recognize their name. Both of them won major Powerball jackpots! Your ten minutes of fame only lasts ten minutes. Anything longer than that is entirely your fault.

" Your ten minutes of fame only lasts ten minutes. Anything longer than that is entirely your fault."

wow, that's cool! how true!

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Pennsylvania
        United States
        Member #1340
        April 6, 2003
        2450 Posts
        Posted: October 16, 2005, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

I am relatively sure that after a brief conversation when I show up in lottery headquarters in a "stop outsourcing America" t-shirt... they will honor the anonymity olive branch I set forth with the personal property trust. If they are smart, I won't even get the 10 minutes... just a check and a maybe handshake... with no photos.

delaware has the right idea. I think it is a useless risk to publicise winners. even with a personal property trust I would still not trust a lawyer to claim it. I would still need to be there as a trustee. I hope they can come to some sort of reasonable agreement if I ever do win. After jack whittaker, I hope the press doesn't ruin the life of the next big winner expecting the same sort of behavior.

United States
          Member #23787
          October 16, 2005
          68 Posts
          Posted: October 16, 2005, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

Agree that the fame and celebrity status is only for 10 minutes. What I mean is that complete annonimity as far as possible. Almost 80 to 90% people may not know/hear about winners but the concern is from 10 to 20% people who know them or will find out somehow.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: October 16, 2005, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

Wear a "MUSL is bad" tee shirt. Maybe your picture won't even be covered that way. I think it depends on the state. Some states allow trusts to claim the tickets some states don't. I would just pack the stage with people so no one knew at first but I'm sure the media will try to cover any winner for a while.

United States
              Member #21574
              September 11, 2005
              138 Posts
              Posted: October 16, 2005, 11:10 pm - IP Logged
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #1340
                April 6, 2003
                2450 Posts
                Posted: October 16, 2005, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

great link, i must have missed that one... thanks GuessWhat!

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                  PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: October 17, 2005, 7:48 am - IP Logged

Good luck remaining anonymous if you hit the largest jackpot in history. They don't care about risking the individual, they care about media exposure. That all comes with the territory that is a "Powerball winner." You have no one to blame but yourself for playing. I am sure that is what they assume. In fact I even asked the PA lottery if you could have a lawyer claim it for you via a trust fund, and as I said in another thread, they said "only YOU can claim it, no other individual may claim it on your behalf."

How true that is legally I am not sure, but of course they will try to publicize you to the fullest extent possible, as to increase more sales.

Atlanta
                    United States
                    Member #15989
                    May 24, 2005
                    183 Posts
                    Posted: October 17, 2005, 9:24 am - IP Logged

Like I said in some other thread, if you have to claim it, get yourself a big fake beard (even women), big sunglasses, a clown wig or something similar, dress like a total bum in clothes you got from a dumpster somewhere, don't take a shower for 2 days, and I think they will get the hint. It is STILL you handing over the winning ticket and presenting your identity, you just look and smell  a "little" different that is unrecognizable to even your best friends.

konane's avatar - wallace
                      Atlanta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #1265
                      March 13, 2003
                      3333 Posts
                      Posted: October 17, 2005, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Hire an attorney to be your spokesperson.  Most of them love their faces on TV ... so should be a match made in heaven. Big Grin

Several years ago there was a Lotto Georgia winner who (if memory serves me) won and set up a family trust.  Not wanting to appear on TV they had an attorney do just that for them.  

Good luck to everyone!

Sparta, NJ
                        United States
                        Member #18331
                        July 9, 2005
                        1977 Posts
                        Posted: October 17, 2005, 11:08 am - IP Logged

My mind tells me, if I win the largest jackpot in history, the media is going to find out my name. Those news people may not be mental giants, but they are not idiots. Some one, some place will mention the winners name; after that it is seach engine time.

The thought I keep having is, how do I work that to my advantage. I cannot afford to do a lot of the things that a sane person should do to protect themselves. What I can do, is have a lawyer, I have used in the past, and basically trust, negotiate some up front money; money I can use to immediately disappear from the news media circus. The money doesn't have to come from the state, they can work something out with the banks; those same banks who want access to my money, regardless of my attitude.

Their alternate option is to present the winner with the worst attitude known to mankind.  When my safety, and the safety of my grandchildren is at stake, don't get between me and shaft of vengence. They can play my game, or I can go down in history as the individual who caused a change in all future news conferences for lottery winners- the three thousand second delay. Makes no difference to me. $150M+ buys you a lot of power!

Cheers

md
                          United States
                          Member #14047
                          April 20, 2005
                          579 Posts
                          Posted: October 17, 2005, 12:12 pm - IP Logged

Well, I am certain in my state (Maryland) I could clain it anonymously and /or in Trust.  I will use a trust.  If I am found out, I will deal with that through hired "GUNS."  Meaning a security firm.  I don't want the attention, I will pay to avoid attention.  So be it!

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                            PA
                            United States
                            Member #22983
                            October 6, 2005
                            2226 Posts
                            Posted: October 17, 2005, 3:05 pm - IP Logged

I also believe that if you ignore the media, they will HUNT you. That is why it is important to be "as boring" as possible. Of course winning that much money may actually make you lose all your sanity for awhile, so who really knows how you would react? Personally I also believe you would not be big news for very long anyway as someone else said, as the public has a very short term memory.

Not to mention the constant overwhelming news that the public is bombarded with on a daily basis. For the most part people will "oooooo and awwwww" for a few days, then get back to their lives. They have themselves to worry about. Sure there may be a few "jackpot seekers/gold diggers" out there, but they are usually minorities. Also depends on where you live.  Besides, I will make it very clear during my initial press conference that I am very ecstatic that I will now be able to finally complete my mass gun collection, a gun collection that would make any small Army jealous.

Surrender

Nonetheless, I would welcome anyone who wanted to visit me, and my new mansion with open arms. So as long as my 10 guard dogs approve of them at the gate. Leaving

I would most likely build my own gated community, and only my family and closest friends would be able to get in. There will be a guard station, and anyone who wants to visit will have to have a special electronic card issued by myself personally.

If not, no access will be granted. So I guess the real question is, is winning the lottery actually a paradise, or a self-contained prison? I guess that all depends on the forsight, and overall intelligence of the individual(s) who win. Also person tolerancy levels play a huge roll.

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: October 17, 2005, 4:15 pm - IP Logged

I have no intention of hiding behind walls. They can follow me all they want. As long as they have a Boeing Business Jet (737) they can rent to keep up with me. I'm figuring, minimum six months, probably 12 months of travel. China. Monte Carlo. Austria. Australia. Italy. Moscow. Switzerland. Germany. There is a long list. All under Luxury Travel scenarios. Nope, no walls for me!

Cheers