Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 5:13 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Remaining anonymous if you win jackpot?

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
Pennsylvania
United States
Member #1340
April 6, 2003
2450 Posts
Posted: October 17, 2005, 8:43 pm - IP Logged

maybe a "guns don't kill people, I DO" shirt and a set of matching Elvis mutton chops and mirrored shades...

or a 10 gallon Jack Whittaker hat and a friendly greeting of "you ain't seen nothin' yet!"

better still, I'll dress up like will sasso does on MADtv as Kenny Rogers and act all goofy...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Sparta, NJ
    United States
    Member #18331
    July 9, 2005
    1977 Posts
    Posted: October 17, 2005, 9:08 pm - IP Logged

maybe a "guns don't kill people, I DO" shirt and a set of matching Elvis mutton chops and mirrored shades...

or a 10 gallon Jack Whittaker hat and a friendly greeting of "you ain't seen nothin' yet!"

better still, I'll dress up like will sasso does on MADtv as Kenny Rogers and act all goofy...

Wouldn't there something more entertaining to accomplish with a zillion dollars? You're starting to sound like Britney's husband. He walked into a multi-million dollar deal, and all he has accomplished it to max his credit at McDonalds.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

United States
      Member #23787
      October 16, 2005
      68 Posts
      Posted: October 17, 2005, 10:45 pm - IP Logged

Two piece of information is in so called public domain.
      Winner name & His City. So rent a home in a differant area/state where no one knows you. Then claim your prize yourself or as trust with new address.

Annual Payments's avatar - annual 20payments.jpg
        Houston, TX
        United States
        Member #9841
        December 23, 2004
        236 Posts
        Posted: October 18, 2005, 4:06 am - IP Logged

Who would wanna remain anonymous?  I know if I won I'd want everyone to know who i am! =)

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
          Pennsylvania
          United States
          Member #1340
          April 6, 2003
          2450 Posts
          Posted: October 18, 2005, 6:06 am - IP Logged

main attraction of anonymity is safety of your family. What if the kids were abducted from school? there IS at least an 8 week turnaround from when you claim the ticket to when you access the money... alot can happen in 8 weeks! I think it's wreckless on the part of the states... they announce right away, there should be some lead time so that when they announce (if they must at all) you can be safely out of the area...

If there is no way around the media circus, then they will get an earful... downsized, outsourced, lower middle class America will have the voice they are currently missing in the media... their choice I guess...

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Huntsville AL
            United States
            Member #16531
            June 1, 2005
            65 Posts
            Posted: October 18, 2005, 6:34 am - IP Logged

great link, i must have missed that one... thanks GuessWhat!

hypersonig

YOu said in an other post that it takes 8 weeks after you claim to get money.  What is your source? Any one else that can add to this?

md
              United States
              Member #14047
              April 20, 2005
              579 Posts
              Posted: October 18, 2005, 9:06 am - IP Logged

The Discovery Channel had two stories  (each an hour long) yesterday that was fascinating.  One about Lotteries in general, positive and negative stories. The other was a profile of the 1997 couple who won a $66m Powerball. 

They wanted to stay in their area, and their identity certainly became known.  But they were bombarded with request from all over the world.  The mail man was bringing 2 and 3 duffle bags full of letters from people wanting a portion of thier winnings - with hard luck stories. 

For those can keep their identity out of the press, it would be to your benefit. 

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: October 18, 2005, 10:06 am - IP Logged

great link, i must have missed that one... thanks GuessWhat!

hypersonig

YOu said in an other post that it takes 8 weeks after you claim to get money.  What is your source? Any one else that can add to this?

The timeline, is a variable, by state. First they have to collect all the money from the zillion stores accounts, then move it to the state with the winner. Then go through the audit thingie with the professionals. You can't just transfer millions of dollars out of state treasury without a ton of sign-offs. The government is based on CYA, thus all sign-offs come first.

New Jersey, for example, tells you, on their web site, you can aniticipate up to four weeks for the transfer to occur. It could be less, it could be more. When I hit my mid-tier win, it took 28 days for the check to hit my mailbox.

You need money? Get a loan, using the Lottery Director of your state as a witness to your value. If you're deperate, bring the cardboard check as collateral. End of problem. You only need a few thousand, not enough to require a semi-trailor to follow you acroos the city.

Cheers

Sparta, NJ
                  United States
                  Member #18331
                  July 9, 2005
                  1977 Posts
                  Posted: October 18, 2005, 10:18 am - IP Logged

For those can keep their identity out of the press, it would be to your benefit. 

Ever hear of the Freedom Of Information Act? Except for medical records, I can get everything I need to know about you for fives dollars a printout. All I need is the correct question.

You can thank the ACLU for making you a public target.  Remember that the next you want to send a check to a liberal group, who could then forward it to the ACLU!

Even Rush Limbaugh tried to keep the government out of his medical records, and the court opened them up the the government. Anything open to the government is open to the public. Its a circle.

Cheers

md
                    United States
                    Member #14047
                    April 20, 2005
                    579 Posts
                    Posted: October 18, 2005, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Thats why I state, "for those who can..."  I am a firm believer in keeping my mouth shut.  People can research all they want, and you are right CHEWIE, some will research about winners.  That I have no control over.  But I am absolutely sure, I would be one hard nut to crack in terms of people contacting me.  From being in a gated community, having my 3 Rottweilers, and my cousins SMITH & WESSON (44 Magnum). 

Sparta, NJ
                      United States
                      Member #18331
                      July 9, 2005
                      1977 Posts
                      Posted: October 18, 2005, 10:25 am - IP Logged

After me, I hope you win and I hope you remain out of the spotlight.

Cheers

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                        Member #567
                        August 14, 2002
                        484 Posts
                        Posted: October 18, 2005, 9:14 pm - IP Logged

main attraction of anonymity is safety of your family. What if the kids were abducted from school? there IS at least an 8 week turnaround from when you claim the ticket to when you access the money... alot can happen in 8 weeks! I think it's wreckless on the part of the states... they announce right away, there should be some lead time so that when they announce (if they must at all) you can be safely out of the area...

If there is no way around the media circus, then they will get an earful... downsized, outsourced, lower middle class America will have the voice they are currently missing in the media... their choice I guess...

8 Week Turnaround???

It doesn't take 8 weeks to get the money.  Usually, if you decide which payment you want when you claim the prize, it takes like a couple weeks.  Maybe three weeks (like the Watertown 34 in 2003), but not EIGHT weeks.  HELL NO!!!  That would be 8 weeks of paranoia and stress.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

DirtyWrat's avatar - dirty rat_3051bs_mor.jpg
                          Darlington, S.C.
                          United States
                          Member #3691
                          February 12, 2004
                          133 Posts
                          Posted: October 18, 2005, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Chewie said:

"Think about this, when is the last time you heard about John Cartier, or Christopher Ewen? You probably don't even recognize their name. Both of them won major Powerball jackpots! Your ten minutes of fame only lasts ten minutes. Anything longer than that is entirely your fault."

Chewie, as usual you're right

The general public does have a very short attention span, but it's not your everyday John Blow that you have to worry about. Its con artists, crooks, kidnappers, church pastors, heads of charities, politicians, and friends and relatives that you have to watch out for. Basically anyone who wants to beg, borrow, or steal your windfall from you.

Believe me, these people have a very, very long memory

With the lottery I get all the exercise I need.

In futility.

atlanta
                            United States
                            Member #13754
                            April 13, 2005
                            53 Posts
                            Posted: October 18, 2005, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

i'll have my lawyer set up everything with the lottery pips,make travel arrangements to go to south africa for a good two months, look for a new residents, go to the lottery office shake hands,take picture after that off im gone to south africa. come back spend another month in some resort in hawaii, come back in georgia and immediately move to the new area.

Sparta, NJ
                              United States
                              Member #18331
                              July 9, 2005
                              1977 Posts
                              Posted: October 18, 2005, 9:54 pm - IP Logged

Hehehe - South Africa! Checked the crime rate lately? If you want to live longer than a week, you better check it out. I had a buddy there last month, they chased him down the main street of the capital with a pickup; until they ran him over. He is back here recovering right now! Big steel plate in his head. Talks kinda weird.

You would be safer in a row boat in the Gulf of Mexico right now!

Cheers