Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Remaining anonymous if you win jackpot?

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: October 18, 2005, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

I wonder if anyone would try to mug you if you walked around with that big cardboard check? I bet you some may think they could cash it. LOL

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
    Pennsylvania
    United States
    Member #1340
    April 6, 2003
    2450 Posts
    Posted: October 19, 2005, 5:51 am - IP Logged

8 weeks is a number I got in a reply to an e-mail I sent to the PA lottery. could be less... they also told me that you can claim a jackpot win as a trust here in P.A. and it has been done before. (WLT Trust, pb jackpot 12/08/2004) but for some oddball reason, the names of the winners involved in that trust are on the powerball "winners stories" website... what, then was the point?

I wonder if it would be better to first claim it in the trust name that will be publicised, then immediately transfer it to a second, PRIVATE trust that would avoid being targeted by lawsuit-happy freeloaders?

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

KYPower418's avatar - nicebear
      Louisville,KY
      United States
      Member #23702
      October 15, 2005
      45 Posts
      Posted: October 19, 2005, 8:46 pm - IP Logged

If you're prepared to win, remaining anonymous shouldn't be that big a problem. Smile for the camera; after negotiating the rules of the press conference with your Lottery Director. Remember, they need you to be a willing participant more than you want to be there. The last thing they want is some one standing in front of the press and television complaining about something. Have a lawyer negotiate something you want. Like arranging a huge cash advance with one of the banks they deal with. When you win multimillions, you are no longer the minnow in the pond, you instantly became a large-mouth bass!

A few weeks after you win, the spotlight will be on something else. There will also be some rich teenage tramp getting herself in trouble on some exotic island, then you won't be interesting. The spotlight only remains lit when you keep your finger on the switch. Hide out for a while; take that extended vacation to China, Australia, Scotland, or Switzerland. Enjoy yourself. Have young kids?  Rent Six-Flags Over Texas for a day!  Buy a house some where, not necessarily in this country, and donate your old place to the church down the street. You can have a Personal Assistant pick up your personal items and bring them to you.

Think about this, when is the last time you heard about John Cartier, or Christopher Ewen? You probably don't even recognize their name. Both of them won major Powerball jackpots! Your ten minutes of fame only lasts ten minutes. Anything longer than that is entirely your fault.

" Your ten minutes of fame only lasts ten minutes. Anything longer than that is entirely your fault."

wow, that's cool! how true!

I think Jack was one of those who extended his 15 min of fame. I haven't heard much either from the single guy in Idaho who won in the summer (?)

There's always again!

KYPower418's avatar - nicebear
        Louisville,KY
        United States
        Member #23702
        October 15, 2005
        45 Posts
        Posted: October 19, 2005, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

If you're prepared to win, remaining anonymous shouldn't be that big a problem. Smile for the camera; after negotiating the rules of the press conference with your Lottery Director. Remember, they need you to be a willing participant more than you want to be there. The last thing they want is some one standing in front of the press and television complaining about something. Have a lawyer negotiate something you want. Like arranging a huge cash advance with one of the banks they deal with. When you win multimillions, you are no longer the minnow in the pond, you instantly became a large-mouth bass!

A few weeks after you win, the spotlight will be on something else. There will also be some rich teenage tramp getting herself in trouble on some exotic island, then you won't be interesting. The spotlight only remains lit when you keep your finger on the switch. Hide out for a while; take that extended vacation to China, Australia, Scotland, or Switzerland. Enjoy yourself. Have young kids?  Rent Six-Flags Over Texas for a day!  Buy a house some where, not necessarily in this country, and donate your old place to the church down the street. You can have a Personal Assistant pick up your personal items and bring them to you.

Think about this, when is the last time you heard about John Cartier, or Christopher Ewen? You probably don't even recognize their name. Both of them won major Powerball jackpots! Your ten minutes of fame only lasts ten minutes. Anything longer than that is entirely your fault.

" Your ten minutes of fame only lasts ten minutes. Anything longer than that is entirely your fault."

wow, that's cool! how true!

I think Jack was one of those who extended his 15 min of fame. I haven't heard much either from the single guy in Idaho who won in the summer (?)

There's always again!

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
          Member #567
          August 14, 2002
          482 Posts
          Posted: October 20, 2005, 10:02 am - IP Logged

8 weeks is a number I got in a reply to an e-mail I sent to the PA lottery. could be less... they also told me that you can claim a jackpot win as a trust here in P.A. and it has been done before. (WLT Trust, pb jackpot 12/08/2004) but for some oddball reason, the names of the winners involved in that trust are on the powerball "winners stories" website... what, then was the point?

I wonder if it would be better to first claim it in the trust name that will be publicised, then immediately transfer it to a second, PRIVATE trust that would avoid being targeted by lawsuit-happy freeloaders?

I read a lot of lottery stories, good and bad, and my advice to you is this:

If you want to be anonymous, go to a state and buy a lot of tickets in a state where you can be anonymous.  No matter how much you study about the anonymity of a trust, if you play the lottery in a state where you are not allowed to be anonymous, then you're still going to run out of town like all the other winners.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

EU
            Estonia
            Member #4217
            April 1, 2004
            25 Posts
            Posted: October 21, 2005, 10:19 am - IP Logged

Rundown99 you wrote: If you want to be anonymous, go to a state and buy a lot of tickets in a state where you can be anonymous. 

But whitch states, beside Delaware allow you  to remain anonymous?

Greenwich, CT
              United States
              Member #4793
              May 24, 2004
              1822 Posts
              Posted: October 21, 2005, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Louisiana appears to be anonymous-friendly.  An LLC claimed a Powerball jackpot in 2003 and the "Duchess Trust" claimed a jackpot earlier this year.

Also, the Bow Trust claimed a NH Powerball jackpot in 2004...just providing the name of the lawyer.

Louisiana, Delaware, New Hampshire....you should be able to get to at least one to buy your tickets!

md
                United States
                Member #14047
                April 20, 2005
                579 Posts
                Posted: October 21, 2005, 11:15 am - IP Logged

If you win a Mega Million Jackpot in Maryland, you can remain anonymous!

EU
                  Estonia
                  Member #4217
                  April 1, 2004
                  25 Posts
                  Posted: October 21, 2005, 11:30 am - IP Logged

What about Illinois?

md
                    United States
                    Member #14047
                    April 20, 2005
                    579 Posts
                    Posted: October 21, 2005, 11:34 am - IP Logged

Well I sent an email to Md. Lottery and they emailed me back about whether I could remain anonymous if I won.  So, email Illinois, they will let you know.  Or call? 

catdaddy's avatar - eye2
                      brooklyn ny
                      United States
                      Member #17069
                      June 10, 2005
                      14 Posts
                      Posted: October 24, 2005, 1:14 pm - IP Logged

Cool What about New Jersey

CoolGOOD LUCK EVERY ONE

CATDADDYCool

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
                        Member #567
                        August 14, 2002
                        482 Posts
                        Posted: November 9, 2005, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

Rundown99 you wrote: If you want to be anonymous, go to a state and buy a lot of tickets in a state where you can be anonymous. 

But whitch states, beside Delaware allow you  to remain anonymous?

You can form a trust in Ohio, New Hampshire, and Louisiana if you win the jackpot there.

You can be anonymous in Delaware as well without the trust (That's what makes Delaware special.)

Someone said in an earlier post that you can be anonymous in Maryland.  Is that true?

As I recall, a couple years back, Todd said that some winners in Maryland were allowed to remain anonymous.

But no matter how much you know about trusts, the ultimate judge regarding whether or not someone can be anonymous is the lottery of that particular state.  Bottom Line:  if you want to be anonymous, play the lottery in a state where you CAN ACTUALLY BE anonymous. 

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

Sparta, NJ
                          United States
                          Member #18331
                          July 9, 2005
                          1977 Posts
                          Posted: November 10, 2005, 10:37 am - IP Logged

NJ is the same as most states.  You're name is published, so that the integrity of the game is maintained - using the word integrity and New Jersey in the same sentance should be a crime.

As I have stated before.  They can force you to the water, but can't make you drink.  You can do whatever you want at any news conference, and say what every you want.  Of course, you can always be like all the previous sheep and repeat the statements about remaining normal and loving mankind.

Without looking it up, name the last three jackpot winners for Mega Millions.  Name the state they claimed the win in.  Name the amount they won.  No one really cares, except those criminals to stupid to rob the middle income people (those who have no protection what-so-ever).  Multi-millionaires have the capability to procure all the protection known to man.  The hiring of security wouldn't make a blip on the radar of $250 million dollars.  How much can an ex-cop or two cost. or a security alarm.  Its deductible.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Baton Rouge, LA
                            United States
                            Member #4602
                            May 7, 2004
                            699 Posts
                            Posted: November 10, 2005, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

I'm in a pool with 3 other people for Powerball and Lotto, and we have talked about that same topic.  In Louisiana, and LLC or trust can be used to collect the prize, which is probably the route we'd take.  The only downside to that is in our state, corporate information is available online from the Secretary of State office.  In other words, officers in the corporation can easily be found by searching on their website.  As for trusts, I saw the name of the owner of Duchess Trust in both the local paper and on Lotterypost.  I don't know how that happened, but if she didn't voluntarily come forward, it nullifies the anomymity advantage of a trust.

I've seen alot of websites with information selling Nevada corporations, which would have "nominee" directors listed in the public records, while the owners' names are kept private.  If this is legitimate, it might be an option worth exploring if anomymity is important.  Of course, many of these sites are also promoting schemes to get around taxes, which to me sends up a red flag.

Of course, plan everything before getting the money.  Get your financial advisor, lawyer, CPA, etc., and plan on where to move if that is what you're going to do, how to maintain a low profile, and so on.  After doing all this, collect the money and get going.

Most importantly, TELL NOBODY!

PrisonerSix 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                              Chief Bottle Washer
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #1
                              May 31, 2000
                              23261 Posts
                              Posted: November 10, 2005, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

The NJ Lottery has a search feature on their web site, which allows you to search by town and see all the winners there.  It basically removes the possibility of staying anonymous if you win.

Here's the link:

http://www.state.nj.us/lottery/games/1-8_winners_search.htm

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                              What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                              Help eliminate computerized drawings!