Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

The most important question on LP

Topic closed. 55 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Do you play Quick Pick or Pick Your Own Numbers?

QUICK PICK [ 17 ]  [31.48%]
MY OWN NUMBERS [ 37 ]  [68.52%]
Total Valid Votes [ 54 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 5 ]  

United States
Member #25881
November 12, 2005
62 Posts
Posted: November 15, 2005, 7:52 pm - IP Logged

I usually choose quick pick / easy pick, as I did for tonight's MM drawing, too.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
    Member #4877
    May 30, 2004
    5120 Posts
    Posted: November 15, 2005, 9:58 pm - IP Logged

I doubt if any strategy that only pick $10 worth of tickets will ever compete favorable with $100 worth of quick picks over the long haul.  It hard to beat the odds.

I Agree!

Yes..........I justed VOTED!!!!

Yes..........I voted Quick-Pick and my ###### on the vote counter was 13....

a favorite # of mine for whatever reason???? Out of the  40 QP's bought this

day.........no mega balls contained #13, but it was sprinkled thru the W balls.

No MB's repeated........that was good but, a lot of balls were the same in the

W ball group. Usually, buy $20 to $40 on JACKPOTs....today bought a $40 Quick-Pick $100 would bee a lotto better....BUT, remember, "A  USA  DOLLAR and DREAM

is ALL YOU NEED" $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to WIN!!!

LOL

PSYKOMO 

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
      Member #4877
      May 30, 2004
      5120 Posts
      Posted: November 16, 2005, 12:13 am - IP Logged

Thanks LP:

CHECHED.........WINNing numbersssssssssssss on your site today..........

Winner 2-4-5-40-48+7 did not .......repeat........didnot win for Psykomo!!

QP's played............................TRICK again........6-8-13-17-40+07............

Two out of sxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx not good whem you spend  40$$$$$$$$$

LOL

PSYKOMO 

Alabama
        United States
        Member #17830
        June 27, 2005
        309 Posts
        Posted: November 16, 2005, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

I voted "my own numbers." If the only choice I had were to play either QP's or my own numbers, then I would play my own numbers.

That being said, while the bulk of the combinations I play are my own (or those selected by my playing partner when we pool money to play), I do play some QP's with my selected numbers.

I'll often play a QP on panel E of the bet slip, after my own numbers on panels A through D. Many times, some or all of the QP numbers generated are from the numbers I selected on the first four panels. It's sort of like having a one combination wheel.

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
          FEMA Region V Camp #21
          United States
          Member #520
          July 27, 2002
          5699 Posts
          Posted: November 16, 2005, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

My own method of playing "jackpot games" and I'm referring to IL Little Lotto only, a 5/39 game, is to eliminate as many possible numbers as possible.

I eliminate the 6 coldest numbers, the 6 most overdue numbers and the 5 numbers that played last night. The latter happens about equally...45% of the time there is a repeat and 45% of the time there is not.

This brings my numbers played to about 23-25. It also lowers my odds to about 33,000 - 50,000 to one of hitting the jackpot from 575,000 to one of hitting the jackpot by using all numbers.

The odds of hitting 5/23 from a total pool of 39 numbers is about 17 to one. Meaning once every two-three weeks I have a much better chance of hitting the jackpot.

From this soup of 23-25 numbers I make my "quick pick" selections. No wheels. So I guess my vote would be "both" with the difference being that I make my own quick picks and don't let their machine pick them for me.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

Alabama
            United States
            Member #17830
            June 27, 2005
            309 Posts
            Posted: November 16, 2005, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

Rick G said:

"From this soup of 23-25 numbers I make my "quick pick" selections. No wheels. So I guess my vote would be "both" with the difference being that I make my own quick picks and don't let their machine pick them for me."

Hi Rick,

It seems that your "'quick pick' selections wouldn't actually be quick picks, but your own combinations based on the system that you described above. (Good system, by the way - I think I'll try it out on GA Fantasy 5).

This is just a nit, but I guess it comes down to how exactly do we define QP's? Maybe that would be a good poll question (assuming it hasn't been asked before).

One could argue that QP's are only the combinations generated by the lottery terminal for the next draw only, either by presenting a bet slip that has one or more of the QP boxes marked, or by strolling up to the termianl and asking the clerk to give you one or more QP's for the next draw.

And what about multi draw QP's? Once the QP has ben played on the first drawing, is it still a QP, or does it become a selected number?

So then when is a QP really a QP?

(I know, I know.... does it REALLY matter?!)

Best regards,

-Bob

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

FEMA Region V Camp #21
              United States
              Member #520
              July 27, 2002
              5699 Posts
              Posted: November 16, 2005, 3:34 pm - IP Logged

Bob,

You've hit my point exactly. Is a quick pick the number force-fed to you from the lottery terminal or is it a 'smart' quick pick that eliminates numbers but still uses a random choice among your numbers and a combo that your RNG picks and not their's?

I believe RJOH uses the same technique.....random numbers that you pick from your subset of numbers. Could be wrong on that, but I'm pretty sure he does something similar.

The crucial part to the idea is lowering your odds. Even by eliminating the last set of numbers drawn lowers your odds tremendously and by throwing a couple more parameters in there you've got a slim chance of winning the jackpot but a better one than playing all the possible numbers.

I used to do this with my own RNG and playing IL Lotto. Hit 4 of 6 enough times to make the pain a little less from the losses incurred.

My current experiment is applying this technique to IL Little Lotto. We'll see how it goes.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                PA
                United States
                Member #22983
                October 6, 2005
                2226 Posts
                Posted: November 16, 2005, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

Sirbrad- I like how you put the twist of challenging the system to meet your numbers.

I agree with Barista in veering from places that have claims of past winners. Its sorta like slot machines, once you know its been hit or tapped out, ya just dont want to put your money there again.

Use QP for Powerball and Mega and pick my own for Pick 3 and Cash 5 .

Yeah it is more fun that way! Big Smile  Everytime the balls are spinning, they are playing MY lottery. That is what I am paying them for. If they lose they win my money, but if they win, I win their theirs! Green laugh 

PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: November 16, 2005, 6:57 pm - IP Logged

Also another secret strategy that seems to work sometimes, I select about 5-10 QPs via a RNG. I then use NONE of those numbers to play my tickets. Being past results have proved that I rarely even match JUST ONE of the numbers, so these also much to be sure losers 95% of the time. Works wonders. Then my new numbers are only sure losers 90% of the time...So as you can see I have elimated a whopping 5%!!!

FEMA Region V Camp #21
                    United States
                    Member #520
                    July 27, 2002
                    5699 Posts
                    Posted: November 16, 2005, 7:12 pm - IP Logged

Sirbrad,

Interesting technique and I can't argue with it. It may depend on where or how you select your RNG's, but nevertheless it is as valid a selection process as any other.

My preference is to eliminate some numbers and then do a quick pick on the rest. But you can win either way.

cahaba's avatar - moon
                      Birmingham
                      United States
                      Member #18850
                      July 21, 2005
                      82 Posts
                      Posted: November 16, 2005, 10:14 pm - IP Logged

Rick and Sirbrad-

Both techniques that you employ are interesting and worthy of experimentation. Thanks for sharing them with us.

I choose my own numbers for many different reasons. One can eliminate their odds exponentially when using a filtering and selection method that has shown results over a period of time. The duration of your method must be consistent, minimal in error, and must show a significant difference statistically in winning percentage when compared to other over-the-counter lotto programs, homespun strategies, and even quick-pick selections. It would be wise to employ many different methods simultaneously when playing, yet none of us have extremely deep pockets since we are lurking on Lottery Post for help. So, conventional wisdom is not fair to us here.

About Quick Picks:
                      Many more quick-picks are selected because it is quick (hence the term quick-pick) and painless. The quick-pick only people truly have no desire to select their own numbers (i.e. no holding up gas guzzlers, chain smokers, and processed food junkies that sigh and curse under their breath while waiting for you to hand over your many bet slips and at the same time wondering why you are throwing your money away on your fantastical day-dreaming and night-dreaming jackpot delusions). Many people do not want to sit at a dirty table and fill out a lotto play slip with golf pencils that have dull ends on them. They fear what others would think if they were caught in such a place and position. Now, not all quick-pick only players feel this way, but many do. And many, many more quick-picks are played than are pre-conceived number selection. It is far better to reduce your odds manually, tack a quick pick on to the end of your bet slip, and keep you fingers crossed.

If anyone here has a tried-and-true method in pick-5 that is analytically-based (not astrological, granny's b'day, or number of Uncle Joes's bunions and corns this week, etc.), my playing partner and I will share our research with you as well.

"Life is like a box of chocolates...you can speculate on what you're going to get through trial and error"

PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: November 16, 2005, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

Sirbrad,

Interesting technique and I can't argue with it. It may depend on where or how you select your RNG's, but nevertheless it is as valid a selection process as any other.

My preference is to eliminate some numbers and then do a quick pick on the rest. But you can win either way.

Yes I do that also. I actually eliminate various numbers based off of hot/cold/overdue etc, and I also eliminate all numbers sometimes of previous draws going back from 5-20 draws at a time. It all depends how much money I have to spare, because the more eliminations, the more money is spent. Although a lot of sites state that numbers are very likely to repeat, at least one of them, I find that for the powerball drawings that ANY of the numbers rarely seem to repeat.

I actually used this strategy about a week ago, I played various COLD only numbers, and eliminated all the hot, and most of the average numbers. Sure enough all cold numbers came up, just not most of the ones I selected. I got 2 out of 5, and the powerball as my best return I believe. Most of the time systems seem to fail at a frustrating frequency, but I believe the secret is in the long time results. So a lot of patience, perseverance, and persistence is needed.

PA
                          United States
                          Member #22983
                          October 6, 2005
                          2226 Posts
                          Posted: November 16, 2005, 10:47 pm - IP Logged

My own method of playing "jackpot games" and I'm referring to IL Little Lotto only, a 5/39 game, is to eliminate as many possible numbers as possible.

I eliminate the 6 coldest numbers, the 6 most overdue numbers and the 5 numbers that played last night. The latter happens about equally...45% of the time there is a repeat and 45% of the time there is not.

This brings my numbers played to about 23-25. It also lowers my odds to about 33,000 - 50,000 to one of hitting the jackpot from 575,000 to one of hitting the jackpot by using all numbers.

The odds of hitting 5/23 from a total pool of 39 numbers is about 17 to one. Meaning once every two-three weeks I have a much better chance of hitting the jackpot.

From this soup of 23-25 numbers I make my "quick pick" selections. No wheels. So I guess my vote would be "both" with the difference being that I make my own quick picks and don't let their machine pick them for me.

Yea I use the same types of strategies with the hot/cold/overdue numbers. Although with some different variations as well. I really hate it though when you get burnt, and one of those numbers come up, thus making ALL your tickets void. That is if you played them all that way, and without the eliminated numbers. So I also throw a QP in or two with all the numbers for good measure. I could not believe though that I actually predicted the exact decades during a draw last week, and which types of numbers would come up, only to be off on them by a few digits.

I posted about here somewhere, and a pic of the powerball ticket. To narrow it down so close, and so precise, yet still lose is very deflating. I predicted something like 1,1's, 2'20's 1'30's 1 40's and all my numbers were close. But I was glad to have just narrowed it down to the decades, because it could have been any of them, and repeat decades. These systems sure do keep you busy, and usually broke lol.

PA
                            United States
                            Member #22983
                            October 6, 2005
                            2226 Posts
                            Posted: November 16, 2005, 11:13 pm - IP Logged

WOW! I narrowed it down again tonight!

Played 6, 18, 23, 28, 44,  27 

Came up 5, 18, 20, 21, 44  27!!! Man that hurts! One digit away from $100.00, and just numbers away from the JACKPOT on the others. Bang Head  Crazy Only played 5 tickets using elimination strategies. I was so hoping for the big win tonight, close again but no cigar! Oh well I will take the payback and invest it next week. ($7.00) Finally I won more than I spent! For one draw...MY own systems are really starting to show promise. I hope I hit it one day with them. But I won't complain if I hit via QP! Big Smile

Not to mention that I have all winning numbers on 5 lines of plays, except one (20) (wheeled) I never had that many before in so little plays!

PA
                              United States
                              Member #22983
                              October 6, 2005
                              2226 Posts
                              Posted: November 16, 2005, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Oops also just noticed I matched 2 of 5 on another line, played 6, 17, 18, 21, 50  [10]

No powerball though, so nothing there. I was just excited to have matched 2 and the powerball, I could not imagine the joy if I had matched all of them. Ok maybe I could imagine... It was the blasted number 5 that threw a wrench in my system, as I was not expecting any number from a certain amount of previous draws to come up. Sure enough one did. Had it did what it was supposed to, (not show) I had a great chance to least walk away with $100. Damn those balls!