Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Your lottery pool won,but you didn't play

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

The one day you decide not to play in your work's lottery pool, they win $315 mil. How do you react?

No big deal. I'll win a jackpot eventually. [ 4 ]  [8.70%]
This was my one chance to win and I ruined it! [ 14 ]  [30.43%]
Give them my $3, and beg for an equal share. [ 3 ]  [6.52%]
Find a new job. I can't work there any more. [ 2 ]  [4.35%]
Pretend it doesn't bother me, but have nightmares. [ 6 ]  [13.04%]
Get upset & spend all my money on the next drawing [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Drive back home and sleep for the rest of the week [ 3 ]  [6.52%]
Laugh uncontrollably for days. Then cry. [ 7 ]  [15.22%]
Other (please explain) [ 7 ]  [15.22%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
Member #12618
March 18, 2005
2060 Posts
Posted: November 17, 2005, 10:48 pm - IP Logged

I don't participate in pools, so this would never happen to me. But I think that if you didn't enter the pool (even if you had entered before) and they won, that you are out of luck. If you don't put in the money you shouldn't get access to the winnings.

Dance like no one is watching.

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
    Magnolia, Delaware
    United States
    Member #18795
    July 20, 2005
    789 Posts
    Posted: November 17, 2005, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

The pool players that skip the one time that the JP gets hit will retain an attorney and get something out of it anyway, you know- they played before, so their winnings were reinvested, etc....

Seen this happen before...

DoubleDown is right to some extent in what they say! But if the pool was done right and I mean each and every time they took collections for that one drawing, then the person who missed that one drawing will be SOL! They are to sign next to their name when paying for that one drawing. Now when reinvesting the winnings to buy more tickets, everyone is to also sign an agreement to the fact that is what they wished to do with anything under a specified amount (like 25.00), otherwise it's to be split evenly among all payees for that one drawing! This way there is no recourse for the non-payers to take when their fellow workers win that one drawing! Yes, it's a pain to do it that way, but it saves you a lot of headaches and a court battle and hard feelings!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
      Pennsylvania
      United States
      Member #1340
      April 6, 2003
      2450 Posts
      Posted: November 17, 2005, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

I don't swim in the lottery pools...
      wouldn't bother me in the least.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: November 18, 2005, 12:10 am - IP Logged

Lottery pools!!?  Who needs them!!?

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: November 18, 2005, 2:02 am - IP Logged

It just wouldn't happen. Period. Funny that I just saw this thread because only yesterday I asked a friend in AZ if she wanted to start one. She & I would never be able to share because she's not a serious player and only likes to buy a ticket when the mood hits. I suggested some rules like "Members cannot randomly participate. Each member must contribute at the beginning of the month for the next 8 drawings. Should any member decide to leave the pool, he must give written notice & will not be allowed to share in any prizes following the date his membership ends."  If everyone signs an agreement, then I don't see how there could be any legal recourse. On the one hand, it's just a silly game with very high odds, but on the other it's something that could change your life forever, so there should always be a contract. You're either a player or you aren't. No gray area.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
            Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: November 18, 2005, 2:27 am - IP Logged

The clerk always says "if you win you gonna split it with me?".  Like everyone says yes, but knowing me the one time I say sure he's gonna have a lawyer waiting when I go to lotto HQ with my winning ticket wanting half.  So I would feel like this

LOL!! Oh so very true! I'm laughing because I was standing in a supermarket buying a FL lotto ticket and a man in front of me said to the clerk "if I win tonight, I'll give you a million." I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me "will you split it with me?" and I answer "Sorry, no."  Once I had a bad day and a splitting headache (excuses, excuses) and left my tickets on the counter at a convenience store. The cashier ran outside and caught me as I was driving off. She didn't ask, but if I won that night, I definitely would have rewarded her with a large sum of money.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
              PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: November 18, 2005, 7:21 am - IP Logged

I don't really see why people make a connection between a clerk and a lottery ticket. Sure they types your numbers, and printed the ticket out for you. They get paid to do that. This does not make them deserving of any of your money at all, unless you have some unique relationship with them personally, and you choose to reward them. But I highly doubt they would reward you the same for being the "best customer."

Usually when I am asked by the cashier if I will split it with them, I ask them only if they will contribute to half the money I spend a year in losses, starting immediately, and for the last part of the year. They usually change their tune pretty quickly. People 'want' a lot, but rarely do they 'want to give.'

Sparta, NJ
                United States
                Member #18331
                July 9, 2005
                1977 Posts
                Posted: November 18, 2005, 7:28 am - IP Logged

It just wouldn't happen. Period. Funny that I just saw this thread because only yesterday I asked a friend in AZ if she wanted to start one. She & I would never be able to share because she's not a serious player and only likes to buy a ticket when the mood hits. I suggested some rules like "Members cannot randomly participate. Each member must contribute at the beginning of the month for the next 8 drawings. Should any member decide to leave the pool, he must give written notice & will not be allowed to share in any prizes following the date his membership ends."  If everyone signs an agreement, then I don't see how there could be any legal recourse. On the one hand, it's just a silly game with very high odds, but on the other it's something that could change your life forever, so there should always be a contract. You're either a player or you aren't. No gray area.

Do people actually sign forms and stuff about leaving?  I did one pool, about three or four years ago. We played two draws because the number was big.  Compared to todays numbers, it was probably $30.00! Anyway, every one contributed and got a repro copy of the tickets and walked away.  Won a few bucks the first drawing, re-invested, lost it all and some one around the world hit.  I would haver thought a copy of the tickets would count, and no copy wouldn't count.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Magnolia, Delaware
                  United States
                  Member #18795
                  July 20, 2005
                  789 Posts
                  Posted: November 18, 2005, 10:42 am - IP Logged

Chewie, some don't sign anything at all and that's where the trouble begins, because they contend that they were in! Having proof of their not being in any one drawing at any given time makes it very hard for them to dispute! Believe it or not, huge amounts of money (life changing amounts) changes people and their worst side can and will come out at that very moment!

I say sign on the dotted line when paying each and every drawing! None of that paying ahead of time stuff for 8 draws, you pay as you go and then their is no confusion as to who's in and who's not! Besides this way people can drop out as they see fit and others can join when they wish too, just by signing the payment paper before each and every draw. Also signing for their copies of the tickets that had been purchased! It might be a big pain in the butt to do it that way, but you also can save yourself and the others a headache/court battle by be cautious and diligent while handing the lottery pool affairs!

I don't participate in lottery pools, never have, never will!

Sparta, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #18331
                    July 9, 2005
                    1977 Posts
                    Posted: November 18, 2005, 10:50 am - IP Logged

I guess, my being such a soft hearted person, I never thought people would be intrust worthy.  Who would have think it.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

konane's avatar - wallace
                      Atlanta, GA
                      United States
                      Member #1265
                      March 13, 2003
                      3333 Posts
                      Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:17 am - IP Logged

It's not YOUR pool if it didn't have any of YOUR money in it to purchase the tickets. Congratulate your co-workers and get back to work. 

If the truth was know you've probably missed some good  opportunities before but you just didn't know anyone who profited from them.  A least now you rubbed elbows with some millionaires.

"It's not YOUR pool if it didn't have any of YOUR money in it to purchase the tickets. "

I Agree!

Every ticket you buy is a chance at winning but does not entitle you to ownership of any portion of the jackpot unless your ticket matches the numbers (digressing to an earlier thread), every pool stands alone as to participants paying into it for a chance to win a particular drawing.

If you fail to pay into the pool for a particular drawing, then you do not own any legal right to partake of any benefits bought and paid for by others. 

Tough noogies!!!    Bash    Stooges

Good luck to everyone!

bobby623's avatar - abstract
                        San Angelo, Texas
                        United States
                        Member #1097
                        January 31, 2003
                        1394 Posts
                        Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:20 am - IP Logged

One way to avoid creating a situation for hungry lawyers to exploit is to require pool members to pay in advance, like for 6 drawings. Renew the contract after the 4th drawing.

People who don't have enough money to pay in advance shouldn't be in a pool to begin with.

Magnolia, Delaware
                          United States
                          Member #18795
                          July 20, 2005
                          789 Posts
                          Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:24 am - IP Logged

Every ticket you buy is a chance at winning but does not entitle you to ownership of any portion of the jackpot unless your ticket matches the numbers (digressing to an earlier thread), every pool stands alone as to participants paying into it for a chance to win a particular drawing.

If you fail to pay into the pool for a particular drawing, then you do not own any legal right to partake of any benefits bought and paid for by others. 

Tough noogies!!!    Bash    Stooges

You better have some type of proof that they didn't pay for that one particular draw (like a signature of all the people who paid and signed for their copies of the tickets for that one draw). Be wise and diligent!

Magnolia, Delaware
                            United States
                            Member #18795
                            July 20, 2005
                            789 Posts
                            Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:36 am - IP Logged

One way to avoid creating a situation for hungry lawyers to exploit is to require pool members to pay in advance, like for 6 drawings. Renew the contract after the 4th drawing.

People who don't have enough money to pay in advance shouldn't be in a pool to begin with.

That has to be the most confusing concept I have ever heard yet! Signing anything before the end of the specific time frame of the current contract can and will confuse many of the new people that may join as to when it was to take affect! That's going to cause some serious headaches! The pay as you go for each and every draw is the most effective way to avoid any confusion and complications down the road!

lottoshlep's avatar - super 7-top-over.jpg
                              BC
                              Canada
                              Member #2120
                              August 19, 2003
                              258 Posts
                              Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:40 am - IP Logged

There are 2 very recent examples of this here in Canada. 

In the first one, where 13 workers shared a $54M ($45M US) Jackpot in Alberta, there was one other that did not play because he was away the day the numbers were picked/played ... he expressed deep regret for not participating, and happiness for the winners, but placed no claim for a share.

However, the winners were heard to say on the news they were considering givig the guy some of the winnings anyway, not a full share but a substantial amount ... happy ending for the non-participant who was honest and fair.

In the second case the opposite is true. When 9 A&W co-workers shared in a $14.5M win ( $12M US). Soon after, this happened - I quote a headline:

"An A&W workers' dispute in Mission, B.C., over a $14.5-million lottery ticket has turned nasty, with allegations of lies, deceit -- even threats of physical harm"

See here: http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/canada/article.jsp?content=20051003_113095_113095 . To my knowledge this one has not been fully resolved yet, it's still in the hands of lawyers/courts.

For that reason a Group Agreement Form like this one http://www.bclc.com/documents/GroupAgreement.pdf  is a must for any pool.

if at first you don't succeed ... destroy all evidence you ever tried  Cool