Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Your lottery pool won,but you didn't play

Topic closed. 40 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

The one day you decide not to play in your work's lottery pool, they win $315 mil. How do you react?

No big deal. I'll win a jackpot eventually. [ 4 ]  [8.70%]
This was my one chance to win and I ruined it! [ 14 ]  [30.43%]
Give them my $3, and beg for an equal share. [ 3 ]  [6.52%]
Find a new job. I can't work there any more. [ 2 ]  [4.35%]
Pretend it doesn't bother me, but have nightmares. [ 6 ]  [13.04%]
Get upset & spend all my money on the next drawing [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Drive back home and sleep for the rest of the week [ 3 ]  [6.52%]
Laugh uncontrollably for days. Then cry. [ 7 ]  [15.22%]
Other (please explain) [ 7 ]  [15.22%]
Total Valid Votes [ 46 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Sheba2's avatar - moon2
Newfoundland
Canada
Member #22545
September 27, 2005
46 Posts
Posted: November 18, 2005, 6:25 pm - IP Logged

We dont have a contract at the work one..

We know who is in and who is not..

We keep in in the emails of you was asked and said no...

Sheba....

United States
    Member #16612
    June 2, 2005
    3493 Posts
    Posted: November 18, 2005, 7:15 pm - IP Logged

My vote was my big chance to win, but I missed. I hope someday I'll win a jackpot.

Roslindale, MA
      United States
      Member #5377
      July 1, 2004
      135 Posts
      Posted: November 18, 2005, 8:45 pm - IP Logged

I'd look for another job - because with everyone else quitting I'd get their assignments and I'd end up with FAR too much work to do...Roll Eyes

(Oh, I'd congratulate them first though...) 

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
        A long and winding road
        United States
        Member #17084
        June 10, 2005
        4527 Posts
        Posted: November 18, 2005, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

Livid is the word that comes to mind in the poll question!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
          Member #24503
          October 23, 2005
          159 Posts
          Posted: November 18, 2005, 10:52 pm - IP Logged

You either play in pools every week, or never. It is that simple. You don't want to have to try and live with yourself after your pool wins big and you were too cheap to play that week.

exactly.

though i think exceptions should be made for people who can't play because they really are destitute and couldn't play, but they'd played faithfully for an entire year -- like what happened back in the 90s in Indiana, where some group won $12 million, and the one lady who was always part of the group decided that one week that she couldn't enter it anymore because her children came first. too poor to play. and they won.

i don't know if they group did the Christian thing and let her split in with them for some amount, given the time she was with them and the reason why she had to stop. i don't think so :(

but it all depends.  you aren't owed a dime if you don't play, bottom line.  but sometimes... karma says it's better to share huge bucks than be greedy. you know what i mean?

United States
            Member #24503
            October 23, 2005
            159 Posts
            Posted: November 18, 2005, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

Chewie, some don't sign anything at all and that's where the trouble begins, because they contend that they were in! Having proof of their not being in any one drawing at any given time makes it very hard for them to dispute! Believe it or not, huge amounts of money (life changing amounts) changes people and their worst side can and will come out at that very moment!

I say sign on the dotted line when paying each and every drawing! None of that paying ahead of time stuff for 8 draws, you pay as you go and then their is no confusion as to who's in and who's not! Besides this way people can drop out as they see fit and others can join when they wish too, just by signing the payment paper before each and every draw. Also signing for their copies of the tickets that had been purchased! It might be a big pain in the butt to do it that way, but you also can save yourself and the others a headache/court battle by be cautious and diligent while handing the lottery pool affairs!

I don't participate in lottery pools, never have, never will!

excellent idea, barista... and that's actually how the legitimate office pools do so, isn't it?  there are contracts involved.  but that's a great idea, barista.

United States
              Member #24503
              October 23, 2005
              159 Posts
              Posted: November 18, 2005, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

The clerk always says "if you win you gonna split it with me?".  Like everyone says yes, but knowing me the one time I say sure he's gonna have a lawyer waiting when I go to lotto HQ with my winning ticket wanting half.  So I would feel like this

LOL!! Oh so very true! I'm laughing because I was standing in a supermarket buying a FL lotto ticket and a man in front of me said to the clerk "if I win tonight, I'll give you a million." I can't tell you how many times someone has asked me "will you split it with me?" and I answer "Sorry, no."  Once I had a bad day and a splitting headache (excuses, excuses) and left my tickets on the counter at a convenience store. The cashier ran outside and caught me as I was driving off. She didn't ask, but if I won that night, I definitely would have rewarded her with a large sum of money.

if and when you do win in the future, you should reward her anyway for what she did in the past.

fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
                Chicago,IL.
                United States
                Member #2902
                November 29, 2003
                1426 Posts
                Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

I never formed my own lottery pool, but when prompted to get into an office pool, I look at it like they have a gun to my head so I always hand over my cash and then wait till after the drawing and when we didn't win I tell the person who bought the actual tickets that there a loser and it's their fault that we didn't win. Big Grin

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"

Amazing Grace's avatar - lion
                  rainbow lake
                  Canada
                  Member #25177
                  November 2, 2005
                  10764 Posts
                  Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

This just happened in Western Canada the pot was 54 million
                  17 player played 2 decided not to.

If you usually play then why stop now. Its your own fault.

He who hesitates is lost.

Patience is a virtue.

etc....................

Sparta, NJ
                    United States
                    Member #18331
                    July 9, 2005
                    1977 Posts
                    Posted: November 19, 2005, 9:49 am - IP Logged

Its called play to play for a reason.  Pay and you play, don't pay, sorry, you missed the boat.  I don't care how sick you are.  Its not like you had no clue the option was available.  Think ahead, and preplan your win - or don't preplan and accept you loss. Its time to stop coddling the inept.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                      PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: November 20, 2005, 6:48 am - IP Logged

Luckily these people all played, and only .25 a check! Course I bet that added up after 13 years, but the pay off was well worth it eh? 

"Group of 16 Claims Share of Powerball® Jackpot

Sixteen school co-workers, who call themselves the “Happy Huskers” (the Holdingford School District’s nickname is the Huskers), claimed half of the October 25 Powerball jackpot. The “Happy Huskers” group includes fifteen kitchen workers and one custodian. The group’s single quick-pick ticket matched the winning numbers 6-17-45-47-48 and the Powerball of 4 to share the $190.9 million jackpot with a ticket sold in Indiana.

The winning ticket was purchased at Dahlin’s Supermarket, 106 Avon Ave. S. in Avon. Each group member contributes 25 cents every paycheck for Powerball tickets - enough to purchase one ticket for each of the four Powerball drawings held during the two-week pay period. The group has been pooling their money to purchase tickets since the Lottery began in 1990.

Group leader Donna Lange always posts the tickets on a school bulletin board prior to the drawings. The ticket was hanging on the bulletin board when Lange checked the winning numbers on Sunday morning. Lange recalls telling her husband, “The ticket is at work and unless I’m looking at the numbers wrong - we won it!” Lange then called her supervisor, Karen Overman, who is part of the group.

Overman said, “At first I didn’t believe her. As I thought about it, I realized, ‘It’s 7 a.m. on Sunday morning and the clocks have been turned back (for the end of daylight savings time) - she’s serious about it.’”

After completing paperwork at the Lottery’s Roseville office, the group agreed, “We’ll keep playing our quarter!”

The Happy Huskers members are: Donna Lange of Avon, Judith Feia of Avon, Roseanne Feia of Holdingford, Karen Overman of Avon, Nancy Vouk of St. Stephen, Kathleen Wohletz of Holdingford, Cathy Schulz of Holdingford, Alice Kobylinski of Holdingford, Barbara Nelson of Rice, Betty Hayes of Holdingford, Kathleen Welle of Albany, Elaine Schumer of Holdingford, Doreen Platz of Holdingford, Susan Breth of Holdingford, Mary Heitzman of Avon and Phylis Breth of Holdingford.

This is Minnesota’s 16th Powerball jackpot winner since Powerball began in 1992 and the first since Dec. 1, 2001. Minnesota has also had six jackpot winners of Lotto*America®, Powerball’s predecessor."

http://www.powerball.com/powerball/winners/2003/102503mn.shtm