Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

LOTTERY’S First-ever millionaire raffle

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Chewie.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: November 18, 2005, 7:36 pm - IP Logged

LOTTERY’S First-ever millionaire raffle will award $5 million in cash prizes new year’s eve

Limited Number Of Tickets Go On Sale Nov. 22 For Dec. 31 Drawing

CLICK HERE TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THE MILLIONAIRE RAFFLE DRAWING

MIDDLETOWN – Millionaire Raffle, a groundbreaking new game developed by the Pennsylvania Lottery, will create four new millionaires on New Year’s Eve.

Millionaire Raffle tickets go on sale Tuesday, Nov. 22, at more than 8,000 Lottery retailers throughout the state.  Each of the game’s $20 tickets will offer a 1-in-125,000 chance of winning $1 million.  Those are the best odds ever offered by the Pennsylvania Lottery for winning a $1 million prize.

Only 500,000 tickets will be sold. 

“Like any raffle, the Pennsylvania Lottery’s Millionaire Raffle will offer a limited number of tickets,” said Lottery Executive Director Edward Mahlman.  “When the tickets are gone, they’re gone.”

Because Millionaire Raffle tickets will be sold over a five-week period, Mahlman urged players to sign their tickets and keep them in safe place until the New Year’s Eve drawing.

Millionaire Raffle will also offer five $100,000 cash prizes and 500 $1,000 cash prizes, for a total of 509 prizes worth $5 million.  The winning raffle numbers will be randomly selected at 7 p.m. on Dec. 31. 

Each Millionaire Raffle ticket will contain a unique, eight-digit raffle number issued sequentially across the Commonwealth from the Lottery’s central computer, starting with raffle number 00000001.  The last raffle ticket issued for the game will contain the raffle number 00500000.  When the last raffle number is issued, the game will be closed and no additional tickets will be available for purchase. 

The Lottery’s live drawing show on New Year’s Eve will televise the selection of the four $1 million top-prize raffle tickets and the five $100,000 second-prize raffle tickets.  The 500 $1,000 winning raffle tickets will be selected, but will not be displayed due to time constraints.  A complete list of all 509 winning raffle tickets will be available by 8 p.m., New Year’s Eve, at Lottery retailers, as well as on the Lottery’s web site at www.palottery.com.

The tickets will be selected by a random number generator certified by Gaming Laboratories International, the world's premier gaming products and systems testing company.

The eight-digit raffle number printed on the ticket must match the eight-digit raffle number combination selected in the drawing – in the exact sequence in which it was selected – to be considered a winning ticket and to be entitled to a Millionaire Raffle prize.

Odds of winning a $1 million top prize are 1-in-125,000; odds of winning a $100,000 prize are 1-in-100,000 and the odds of winning $1,000 are 1-in-1,000.

About the Pennsylvania Lottery:  The Pennsylvania Lottery remains the only state Lottery that designates all its proceeds to programs that benefit older residents.  Since its inception 33 years ago, the Lottery has contributed more than $15.5 billion to programs that include property tax and rent rebates; free and reduced-fare transit; the low-cost prescription drug programs PACE and PACENET; and the 52 Area Agencies on Aging, including 650 full- and part-time senior centers throughout Pennsylvania.   The Lottery reminds its players to play responsibly.  Players must be 18 or older.

http://www.palottery.state.pa.us/lottery/cwp/view.asp?a=11&Q=479572&PM=1

PA
    United States
    Member #22983
    October 6, 2005
    2226 Posts
    Posted: November 18, 2005, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Odds of winning a $1 million top prize are 1-in-125,000; odds of winning a $100,000 prize are 1-in-100,000 and the odds of winning $1,000 are 1-in-1000.

Wow not bad! Especially for a million. Too bad I hate scratchers, but I may make an exception here.

United States
      Member #1826
      July 11, 2003
      2645 Posts
      Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Odds of winning a $1 million top prize are 1-in-125,000; odds of winning a $100,000 prize are 1-in-100,000 and the odds of winning $1,000 are 1-in-1000.

Wow not bad! Especially for a million. Too bad I hate scratchers, but I may make an exception here.

Not bad for the million. Call me picky, but a $20 ticket with 1 in 980-something chance of winning something doesn't appeal to me. Besides, it's drawn with a computer, and I doubt they'll want any winning tickets in the sleepy ol' Poconos.

(insert signature here)

United States
        Member #24503
        October 23, 2005
        159 Posts
        Posted: November 18, 2005, 11:05 pm - IP Logged

Not bad for the million. Call me picky, but a $20 ticket with 1 in 980-something chance of winning something doesn't appeal to me. Besides, it's drawn with a computer, and I doubt they'll want any winning tickets in the sleepy ol' Poconos.

1 in 980?  that's waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay so not worth it for 20 bucks.  imagine buying 5 tickets at $100 and getting nothing.  when you could have spent however many bucks on a couple scratchers, the pick 3, the pick 4, and (if you know what you're doing and you have the mojo that week intuition wise) gotten a lot more bang for your buck.

not to mention had money for groceries, a couple gallons of gas and a book and a movie or two.

PA
          United States
          Member #22983
          October 6, 2005
          2226 Posts
          Posted: November 19, 2005, 6:54 pm - IP Logged

Oh yea I would definitely get $100 in powerball tickets first, but I may just buy one ticket for the heck of it. You just never know...Maybe the New Year will bring some luck! A shot at a million is still a shot, and someone has to win.

Sparta, NJ
            United States
            Member #18331
            July 9, 2005
            1977 Posts
            Posted: November 19, 2005, 7:21 pm - IP Logged

Nothing ventured - nothing gained.  If you have $20.00 bucks to spare.  Call it a self-Christmas gift.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
              Magnolia, Delaware
              United States
              Member #18795
              July 20, 2005
              789 Posts
              Posted: November 19, 2005, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

What a rip-off the state sells 10 million in tickets and pays out only 5 million! I think it would be better for them to pay-out 7 million and keep the 3 million to put toward the programs the lottery funds!

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                Pennsylvania
                United States
                Member #1340
                April 6, 2003
                2450 Posts
                Posted: November 19, 2005, 9:36 pm - IP Logged

50/50 payout no different than any jackpot lottery game...

The important part is that the prizes are in cash and not annuities (1,000,000 split over 20 years = $50,000 per)

Also, the prizes are guaranteed to go off (unless of course they don't sell out... no chance of that here in PA)

IF I happen to snag $20 before nov. 22nd in a Powerball win (must be from PB win... not just having an extra $20), I might just get ONE.

BTW odds are 4:500,000 of $1,000,000 because they will draw 4 winners

PA keeps dividing those odds like it makes a difference... and it just ain't accurate ;-)

1,000,000 top prize odds = 4:500,000
                100,000 second prize = 5:500,000
                1,000 third prize = 500:500,000

odds of wasting $20 = 499,491:500,000

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: November 19, 2005, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Millionaire Raffle will also offer five $100,000 cash prizes and 500 $1,000 cash prizes.

I won't be complaining about either of them if I win either.

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
                    A long and winding road
                    United States
                    Member #17084
                    June 10, 2005
                    4528 Posts
                    Posted: November 28, 2005, 6:03 pm - IP Logged

Just wanted to update that tickets are selling well for this raffle. There are supposed only 200,000 left! And this is only after one week of opening sales.

Thus far I have three of the tickets. May go get another one before its sold out.Investing $80.00 to get back  possibly 1k, not to shabby! But I'll glaldy take the higher prizes as well. Best to all who will be playing this game! I'd love to hear that an LP player claimed one of the tickets!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

Thanks be to the giving numbers: 1621,912,119 02014

United States
                      Member #379
                      June 5, 2002
                      11296 Posts
                      Posted: November 28, 2005, 6:32 pm - IP Logged

You would think with a $20 ticket cost, PA would pay back better than 50% or perhaps have better overall odds. But at least all the prizes are cash.

PA
                        United States
                        Member #22983
                        October 6, 2005
                        2226 Posts
                        Posted: November 28, 2005, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

Darn I may have to get mine soon. But I was saving up for the powerball so I am not sure when, or if I will even get one.

United States
                          Member #379
                          June 5, 2002
                          11296 Posts
                          Posted: November 28, 2005, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

Darn I may have to get mine soon. But I was saving up for the powerball so I am not sure when, or if I will even get one.

Use the next $20 that would buy 10 Unlucky for Life tickets. Keep playing PB.

DoctorEw220's avatar - alien helmet.jpg
                            Yinzer Country, PA
                            United States
                            Member #4067
                            March 18, 2004
                            2741 Posts
                            Posted: November 28, 2005, 7:28 pm - IP Logged

First off, I think that any $20 ticket that does not guarentee you a prize is not worth playing at all.

Second, PA is holding a $20 raffle for a $1 million top prize. NY is holding a $2 raffle with a top prize of $50 million. What the hell was PA thinking?

So here's my take on the issue. Go out and buy a ticket! In fact, buy as many as you can. 500,000 is the maximum that they are selling, but I strongly doubt that PA will even be able to sell half that number. They've put themselves in a situation in which they may not be able to get out of. It's PA's loss here.

I've redone my website.  Go to www.dr-ew.com.  I kept a lot of the old stuff, and I've added some new stuff.  Look for more new stuff in the coming weeks.

United States
                              Member #379
                              June 5, 2002
                              11296 Posts
                              Posted: November 28, 2005, 7:30 pm - IP Logged

dr:

7 days to go in NY, and the jackpot is still $50 million. Millionaire Raffle is better for the player.