Computerized lottery drawing glitch picks same numbers for 3 days

Dec 23, 2005, 7:22 am (40 comments)

Kansas Lottery

Problem clearly demonstrates how computerized drawing faulty program code can go undetected — even for something as obvious as three consecutive days of repeating numbers.

A computerized drawing system glitch caused the Kansas Lottery's Pick 3 game to draw identical numbers in the same order three days straight, from Dec. 16 through Sunday.

Apparently some players caught on. By day three of picking 5-0-9, ticket sales were $12,223, and the payout was $23,480, which is 192 percent of sales. The usual payout is 50 percent to 60 percent, Kansas Lottery executive director Ed Van Petten said.

The 5-0-9 picked on Dec. 16 was legitimate, but on the next two days the numbers resulted from a computer hardware failure in the drawing system that has since been fixed, officials said.

Mike Harmon received a message about the Pick 3 computer malfunction shortly after he began his shift Thursday afternoon as a clerk at the Kwik Shop at Ninth and Mississippi streets in Lawrence.

"It was bound to happen at some time. I'm surprised it hasn't happened before," Harmon said.

But he said the Pick 3 ticket had been much less popular than the Powerball and Kansas Cash drawings, and Harmon estimated that he didn't sell a Pick 3 ticket every day.

Because of the malfunction, lottery officials plan a special promotion Saturday, giving anyone who makes a Pick 3 ticket purchase of $1 or more a free $1 Quick Pick, Pick 3 ticket.

In addition, players who have nonwinning Pick 3 tickets from Dec. 17 or 18 and want to return them for a refund may mail or bring the tickets, along with their return address, to: Pick 3 Refund, Kansas Lottery, 128 N. Kansas Ave., Topeka 66603.

The lottery will issue coupons to players for the purchase price of their nonwinning Pick 3 tickets from the Dec. 17 and 18 drawings. The coupons may be used for Quick Pick tickets in future Pick 3 drawings.

The deadline for players to return these Pick 3 tickets is Jan. 27.

Lottery Post Staff

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

i think all computerized drawings should be banned...........

Dream's avatarDream

I agree

Rip Snorter

I'm betting some online LP members playing the 'forbidden' site cleaned up on this.  Guess it wouldn't show on the official records.

Wonder if they'll pay off now that it's established there was an error.

-----------------------------

Incidently, interesting to note there was evidently no mechanism for detecting the problem other than watching the draws...... hmmm two days, just a coincidence.  Three days in a row and someone starts looking at things.

If they're going to use computers I suppose that's just the cost of doing business.

Jack

DoubleDown

Did they make good on the tickets or weasel out of it ?

Todd's avatarTodd

Incidently, interesting to note there was evidently no mechanism for detecting the problem other than watching the draws...... hmmm two days, just a coincidence.  Three days in a row and someone starts looking at things.

Jack,

That's what I've been trying to say ever since I started the petition.  With computerized drawings, the lottery "draw operators" cannot possibly see what program code is actually generating the numbers every night, so there's no way for them to have the slightest clue if they are being scammed by a hacker or insider.  The only way they can know everything is OK is by "guessing" -- looking at the results and trying to somehow "sense" if something is wrong.

Now we clearly see the results of the stupidity called "computerized drawings".

Two days of Kansas Pick 3 games are total junk.

I really don't care if people say that they personally think it's great because they played the same numbers again, taking advantage of the computer error.  The fact is that the citizens of Kansas did not create a lottery so that they could guess what kind of computer error would generate bad results.  They want a lottery with fair and auditable drawings, and they will never have that as long as their state government allows computerized drawings to remain.

Are all the financial losses associated with this computerized drawing error going to be taken into account when the lottery tries to show how much money they saved by switching to computerized drawings?  I'm sure they won't, even though the lost productivity, lost credibility, refund payments, and disproportionately-large prize payouts will add up to a sizable chunk of revenue.

When are the state legislators finally going to "get it" and write some laws that impose an outright ban on computerized drawings?

Rip Snorter

Crazy stuff, Todd.  Maybe it just has to happen a few more times, or on a jackpot draw before it joggles things enough to give them a scare.

Jack

Tenaj's avatarTenaj

ConfusedI think losing money will be the only thing that will scare them.  If enough people had played that number to r-e-a-l-l-y bring them to their knees it would have made a big impact.  And it would have to happen a lot.

I think the only way to stop computerized drawing is the take advantage.

KY Floyd's avatarKY Floyd

<< In addition, players who have nonwinning Pick 3 tickets from Dec. 17 or 18 and want to return them for a refund may mail or bring the tickets, along with their return address, to: Pick 3 Refund, Kansas Lottery, 128 N. Kansas Ave., Topeka 66603.

The lottery will issue coupons to players for the purchase price of their nonwinning Pick 3 tickets from the Dec. 17 and 18 drawings. The coupons may be used for Quick Pick tickets in future Pick 3 drawings. >>

Clearly evolution hasn't produced many intelligent lottery administrators in Kansas.  Hello, is anyone home? Wouldn't all of those pick 3 tickets from those two days make perfectly good coupons? Or perhaps they figure they can just rip people off, since many people will figure it isn't worth the bother and the 37 cent stamp (39 cents for anyone who procrastinates until 1/8) to get back a dollar. Of course it will cost Kansas a decent chunk of change to print the coupons, do the paperwork, and mail them back to people.

Issues about other problems with computer drawings aside, this seems to suggest that they are using a single computer and a single copy of the program that generates the numbers, and even that they didn't have any test drawings before the official draw. States that use balls don't have just one set of balls and one machine, because varying the balls and the machines helps to eliminate any problems from the balls not being 100% identical. Since computer generated numbers aren't 100% random even when everything goes perfectly, the least they could do is have multiple machines, each with multiple programs.

As for paying out, the payout is mentioned in the article  they really had no choice. People played that number and the lottery department picked those numbers. Unless they want an even bigger problem their only choice is to pay out on the winners, and refund the losers who didn't have a fair chance of winning. The $23,480 that they have to payout is pocket change,  and they expected to pay out about $6000, anyway.

fja's avatarfja

I agree

I Agree!

Just the same if they ever switch MM or PB over to computers....Guess what numbers one of the tickets I play are going to be.....that's right ......The previous draw.......I'll probably be one of the 15 million tickets that will play those numbers......

JADELottery's avatarJADELottery

YES, YES, YES... 

As I've predicted...  someone has taken advantage of a flawed method of number selection.

WTG!!!

JADELottery's avatarJADELottery

Be aware people,

It's coming to a Computer Generated Number (CGN) near you, watch for it.

CGN ≠ RNG

NBey6's avatarNBey6

YES, YES, YES... 

As I've predicted...  someone has taken advantage of a flawed method of number selection.

WTG!!!

I Agree!I Agree!I Agree!I Agree!I Agree!I Agree!I Agree!

MADDOG10's avatarMADDOG10

I've said it in the past and I'll keep saying it, if a human developed it , it's going to have a flaw no matter how they try. I too am surprised it hasn't happened sooner.

Maybe now N.C. will take a closer look before even think about going computer...! 

Bradly_60's avatarBradly_60

I really don't understand why people are complaining about this.  This is an instance where you could actually beat the lottery.  They don't let you do that all the time.  If they are making mistakes or in this case a RNG is, well that is GOOD for the player.  See with RNG's you can see patterns if there is a flaw in the RGN which is just amking it easier for you to win.  With balls this can't happen.  This is why I really don't care if the numbers come from balls or a computer.  You can acually beat a flawed RNG.

Brad

demonter

HOW DUMB...WHY NOT JUST DO IT THE OLD FASHIONED WAY AND STOP ALL THIS TECH GARBAGE. ITS ALOT CHEAPER TOO.

LckyLary

I think they wouldn't use the nonwinning Pick tickets themselves mainly because a lot of people throw them away immediately.

The real reason we hate computerized drawings is because they are very hard to systemize  - except that one time but that's rare!

I don't bother with computerized draws such as the PA midday until I can ever find a system for it.

If all is fair and the drawings are completely random, over time there is no way to get back more than 50% what you spend. I only play something that I think I can win, or for a large enough jackpot that it's worth trying even against the odds.

NOTE: I like how on the VA page where you download #s it tells you that you have no hope with a system. I beg to differ; theirs are not computerized. Yet.

DoubleDown

Is there a link that can tell us which States games are computer generated and which are ping pong balls ?

I think I would like to take the advice and play yesterday's numbers each day on the RNG states......

mylollipop's avatarmylollipop

Ta Ha!  How about a repeat for the PB and MM?  mmmmm......Hyper

i bet there are already people who play numbers from the previous draw........you never ever know.it IS mathematically possible....

Todd's avatarTodd

Is there a link that can tell us which States games are computer generated and which are ping pong balls ?

I think I would like to take the advice and play yesterday's numbers each day on the RNG states......

Yes, click State Lottery Report Card in the Results menu at the top of the page.

BaristaExpress's avatarBaristaExpress

DoubleDown, go to the top of this page and click on results, then click on the State Lottery report card and there you'll be. 

Think's avatarThink

Why did they have to fix it?  I might have enjoyed a trip to Kansas!

Oh well, it has been said before, RNG = Rigged Numbers Game

The model 509 ATM hmm...start with 100 bucks and watch your money balloon!!

you hit the nail smoothly on the head.........

RNG====RIGGED NUMBERS GAME!!

sirbrad's avatarsirbrad

Keep computerized drawings, at least for the smaller games. That way I can continue learning how to exploit them.

Todd's avatarTodd

Good one!  (RNG)

DoubleDown

Yes, click State Lottery Report Card in the Results menu at the top of the page.

Thanks !!

Oh well, none of the states are close enough for me to participate in the "rigged numbers game" , so I will stick with the tried and true GA and SC games.

DD

libra926

I'm betting some online LP members playing the 'forbidden' site cleaned up on this.  Guess it wouldn't show on the official records.

If they're going to use computers I suppose that's just the cost of doing business.

Jack

MAY I SAY...."HAPPY HOLIDAY" TO YOU "RIP"...12/24/05

I've missed reading your delightful Postings......where have you been??? Personally, I work 40 hrs a week, so I cannot Post as often as I might like to....but it's always delightful to read you..

Where've you been??????

Razz

libra926

Thanks !!

Oh well, none of the states are close enough for me to participate in the "rigged numbers game" , so I will stick with the tried and true GA and SC games.

DD

12/24/05

HAPPY HOLIDAY....."DD"....

LOLOLOLOLO.....you have always been one of my favorite posters, and this latest one proves why......"rigged numbers game"...LOLOLOLOL.....oh well some people rec'd a very nice Christmas Gift....and can spend it anytime and anywhere they like.....

I guess I better go and prepare the Turkeyfor dinner this Christmas Eve....

Badger's avatarBadger

KY Floyd wrote :

Clearly evolution hasn't produced many intelligent lottery administrators in Kansas.  Hello, is anyone home? Wouldn't all of those pick 3 tickets from those two days make perfectly good coupons? Or perhaps they figure they can just rip people off, since many people will figure it isn't worth the bother and the 37 cent stamp (39 cents for anyone who procrastinates until 1/8) to get back a dollar. Of course it will cost Kansas a decent chunk of change to print the coupons, do the paperwork, and mail them back to people.<<

EXACTLY !  They are going to come out of this smelling like a rose.

Rip Snorter

Jack

I've missed reading your delightful Postings......where have you been??? Personally, I work 40 hrs a week, so I cannot Post as often as I might like to....but it's always delightful to read you..

Where've you been??????

Razz

Thanks libra. I'm still around. I post a blog entry almost every day, sometimes more.  But I haven't posted as much on the forums as I used to do.  I try to take it all out on the blog readers.

Hope you have a fine holiday.

Best to you,

Jack

CASH Only

If I lived in KS I probably would have bought a Pick 3 for the drawing after the second consecutive 509. Those who caught on probably are happy KS has computerized draws.

DoubleDown

Thanks !!

DD

12/24/05

LOLOLOLOLO.....you have always been one of my favorite posters, and this latest one proves why......"rigged numbers game"...LOLOLOLOL.....oh well some people rec'd a very nice Christmas Gift....and can spend it anytime and anywhere they like.....

Thanks Libra !! I'm not one to rack up the highest number of posts,  preferring instead to pick and choose.

I hope you had a terrific Christmas, and heres to a Happy New Year !!!

DD

antiwarlover

DEAR BROTHER PLAYERS        IN CASE YOU DID NOT KNOW THE WHOLE SHOW IS RIGGED IN THEIR FAVOR. IF YOU START BEATING THEIR ASS ALL OVER THE ROOM LIKE A PISSED OFF PSYCHOPATH -- THEY WILL SIMPLY CHANGE THE THE GAME TO THEIR FAVOR.                                                                   

DoubleDown

DEAR BROTHER PLAYERS        IN CASE YOU DID NOT KNOW THE WHOLE SHOW IS RIGGED IN THEIR FAVOR. IF YOU START BEATING THEIR ASS ALL OVER THE ROOM LIKE A PISSED OFF PSYCHOPATH -- THEY WILL SIMPLY CHANGE THE THE GAME TO THEIR FAVOR.                                                                   

They can't change the game to their favor in this case unless they go back to ping pong balls...

Of course the house wins - it's their game.

libra926

Ta Ha!  How about a repeat for the PB and MM?  mmmmm......Hyper

HI "MY".....HAPPY HOLIDAYS.....12/27

I don't need my contacts or my glasses when I read your postings..........................Lurking

libra926

LOLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOL.......12/27/05

Pissed off Psychopath.....LOLOLOLOL.....And is he on top of the desk "Going Postal"......LOLOLOLOL

libra926

Jack

Where've you been??????

Razz

Thanks libra. I'm still around. I post a blog entry almost every day, sometimes more.  But I haven't posted as much on the forums as I used to do.  I try to take it all out on the blog readers.

Best to you,

Jack

12/27/05.......Patriot

Where are they located, is it on this same web site???..Which one ???

libra926

Thanks !!

DD

12/24/05

Thanks Libra !! I'm not one to rack up the highest number of posts,  preferring instead to pick and choose.

DD

12/27/05

Thanks "DD"...for the kind sentiments.......yes Christmas was wonderful as was the weather here in Maryland on 12/23 &12/24.........I felt great all week long.  Over dinner Christmas Eve and Christmas Night, I told my Family and other Friends, that I wish the Holiday was always celebrated on the Last Sunday of every December, as Thanksgiving is the last Thursday of every November. I believe that if Christmas were celebrated this way, people would give greater respect and appreciation to the true meaning of the Holiday.

See Ya!

Rip Snorter

Jack

Where've you been??????

Razz

Best to you,

Jack

12/27/05.......Patriot

Where are they located, is it on this same web site???..Which one ???

Shoot, I'll bite.  Spang plug that old blog right here on a thread.  I'm proud, but not all that proud, since you've left me an opening a mile wide.

RIP SNORTER BLOG

Good seeing you back on the board libra

Jack

DoubleDown

Thanks !!

DD

12/24/05

DD

12/27/05

Thanks "DD"...for the kind sentiments.......yes Christmas was wonderful as was the weather here in Maryland on 12/23 &12/24.........I felt great all week long.  Over dinner Christmas Eve and Christmas Night, I told my Family and other Friends, that I wish the Holiday was always celebrated on the Last Sunday of every December, as Thanksgiving is the last Thursday of every November. I believe that if Christmas were celebrated this way, people would give greater respect and appreciation to the true meaning of the Holiday.

See Ya!

You know, that's not a bad idea...The Sunday thing.

It did seem to work out very well this year. 

Ain't gonna change , though.

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story