Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anyone else thinking of Euromillions?

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 11 years ago by JAG331.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
Member #2338
September 17, 2003
2063 Posts
Posted: January 2, 2006, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

Currently it's 58 million pounds ($100 mil)

next rollover if it occurs would be 68 million pounds ($117 mil)

rollover after that would equal the record for euromillions at ~80 million pounds ($135 mil)

it's tax free (at least in Europe) and all cash. If it rolls over on Friday I'm definitly getting tickets although I doubt it will roll much after that. At least there is the handly link now for ordering them. Odds are only 76 million to one (bad, but better than MM and Powerball)

I'm hoping for a rollover at this point.

Game is pick 1-50 (5) plus 2 numbers 1-9 

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23277 Posts
    Posted: January 2, 2006, 7:03 pm - IP Logged

dvdiva,

If you're considering tickets, I would highly recommend not waiting any longer.  Be sure to get them for this Friday's drawing.

Most people don't realize how HUGE that jackpot really is.

It's ALL CASH and TAX FREE.

So what does that mean?  If you think about it in terms of a big Mega Millions or Powerball jackpot, they would have to be somewhere around $350 million - $370 million to get an after-tax cash prize of that much.

Plus, as you mentioned, the odds of winning Euro Millions are MUCH BETTER than MM or PB, and there are FOURTEEN prize levels, instead of nine for MM and PB.

If you win the jackpot, your prize is already in another country, so you're only taxed on what you actually bring into the USA.

How great is that??

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

TheGameGrl's avatar - character catafly.jpg
      A long and winding road
      United States
      Member #17084
      June 10, 2005
      4533 Posts
      Posted: January 2, 2006, 7:58 pm - IP Logged

Excellent advice! Odds due seem appealing!

Not to thrilled that the cash must stay overseas in order to guard from Uncle Sam. Its probably at the highest tax bracket if any of it is introduced into the US Banks....*sigH*. Best wishes to whoever taps that jackpot and is graced with fortune!

~~Is it true, Is it kind,Is it necessary. ~~~

christmas holly jolly numbers: 255,303,6911, 474,477 silver:47,gold:79.

new delhi
        India
        Member #22145
        September 20, 2005
        174 Posts
        Posted: January 2, 2006, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

just for your info guys you have to be a resident of one of the participating countries in order to claim the prize. you may currently be residing elsewhere and it is not necessary to be a passport holder of the same though. I hope it rolls one more time. Won 20 pounds on it last week.

United States
          Member #1826
          July 11, 2003
          2645 Posts
          Posted: January 2, 2006, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

It would be appealing, but $5 a ticket seems a bit pricey.

(insert signature here)

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: January 2, 2006, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

just for your info guys you have to be a resident of one of the participating countries in order to claim the prize. you may currently be residing elsewhere and it is not necessary to be a passport holder of the same though. I hope it rolls one more time. Won 20 pounds on it last week.

Hi shalini:

If you have to be a resident of one of the countries it wouldn't do much good to win it, seems to me.  That dampens my enthusiasm a bit.

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Plymouth, MI
              United States
              Member #23028
              October 6, 2005
              42 Posts
              Posted: January 2, 2006, 11:23 pm - IP Logged

Well since this web site has a link to Prime Ticket Service perhaps they can shed some light as to wether you have to be a resident of one of the participating countries.

Thanks and Happy New Year to All.........Big Smile 

Chief Bottle Washer
                New Jersey
                United States
                Member #1
                May 31, 2000
                23277 Posts
                Posted: January 2, 2006, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

That is totally untrue!  It's really not a good idea to make statements like that when you're not in possession of the facts.

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23277 Posts
                  Posted: January 2, 2006, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

Well since this web site has a link to Prime Ticket Service perhaps they can shed some light as to wether you have to be a resident of one of the participating countries.

Thanks and Happy New Year to All.........Big Smile 

When you hear an off-the-wall statement like that you should be skeptical of the claim.  In this case you have very good reason to be skeptical.  Some people just state things as if they are fact, not realizing that their words are taken literally on a forum web site, and some people may believe them at face value.

No, you don't have to be a citizen of one of the countries to claim a prize.

Plymouth, MI
                    United States
                    Member #23028
                    October 6, 2005
                    42 Posts
                    Posted: January 3, 2006, 12:02 am - IP Logged

Thanks for verifying my question Todd.  I live in Michigan and I know I can go to Canada, buy tickets, and win jackpots in that country without having to live there.  Just trying to hide the money from Uncle Sam would be the problem.

LOL, Fraser 

Zoozie's avatar - back
                      South Fort Myers
                      United States
                      Member #26835
                      November 23, 2005
                      454 Posts
                      Posted: January 3, 2006, 12:06 am - IP Logged

I read thru the entire website and it did not state anything like that.  As a matter of fact, it stated they have employees posted in each of the countries to purchase the lottery tickets for you and can actually "claim" them and/or send you the information on how to claim larger prizes.

I believe it stated if you won up to $600, they would deposit your winnings (minus commission) into your account and you could re-use it to purchase more tickets or withdraw it.

Also, you must purchase a minimum of 5 tickets, plus pay $7.50 for fees.  Total $12.50

Did I say all this correctly Todd?

Zoozie  Dance

"Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve"
                      Napoleon Hill

new delhi
                        India
                        Member #22145
                        September 20, 2005
                        174 Posts
                        Posted: January 3, 2006, 12:23 am - IP Logged

That is totally untrue!  It's really not a good idea to make statements like that when you're not in possession of the facts.

Todd, these are the rules of the Euromillions. You can check it on their website. And, also I think the last bit of your remark is totally uncalled for.

Plymouth, MI
                          United States
                          Member #23028
                          October 6, 2005
                          42 Posts
                          Posted: January 3, 2006, 12:38 am - IP Logged

What's the official web site shalini.

new delhi
                            India
                            Member #22145
                            September 20, 2005
                            174 Posts
                            Posted: January 3, 2006, 12:43 am - IP Logged

I'm trying to locate the site I read it on. Give me a few minutes to find it and get back to you guys. I know I didn't imagine this info. I did read it somewhere. I play it through the national lotto site but I don't think I read the rule there. I'll just get back to you.

anonymous77's avatar - moon
                              Seoul
                              Korea, South
                              Member #21859
                              September 16, 2005
                              346 Posts
                              Posted: January 3, 2006, 12:58 am - IP Logged

Shalini,

Your remark sounds very interesting to me. Does that imply, for example, that an international tourist can not claim the prize, if won, in his/her name even with a proper identification such as passport? Or, is that limited only to online play through UK National-Lottery online account? (As I understand it, online plays are open generally to those residents of UK only.)

I am asking this because, just having read the so comprehensive Terms and Conditions of the UK National-Lottery, I failed to find any such clause, though I might have skipped inadvertently.

The Terms and Conditions may be found by clicking "Terms and Conditions" which appears on the bottom of the following UK National-Lottery site.

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/promotions/promotions.do?promo=helparea

(may possibly irrelevant to the issue, but just for reference from an international perspective, here is, as I remember, what Korean press reported last year: 'as of 2005 Kookmin Bank, operating Korean Lotto 645 under a licence from the Korean government, announced that 4 different foreigners hit jackpots, $16 million in total, and of course legitimately claimed the prizes. Most of them were from Southeast Asian countries.' It was known that most of them have gone back to their own countries.)

Good luck!