Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Anyone else thinking of Euromillions?

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 11 years ago by JAG331.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
new delhi
India
Member #22145
September 20, 2005
174 Posts
Posted: January 3, 2006, 1:02 am - IP Logged

Fraserm, I can't find the same site. However, another says that anyone can play, above 18, but would have to go the country where you bought the ticket. In that case, unless I can substantiate my earlier statement, I think I owe Todd an apology for getting defensive. However, I do remember reading it...try www.euro-millionslottery or the national lottery home. Go to google.co.uk and then type the national lotto. You'll get online to play the games. I'm going to try and find that site. I know I read it.

new delhi
    India
    Member #22145
    September 20, 2005
    174 Posts
    Posted: January 3, 2006, 1:05 am - IP Logged

just for your info guys you have to be a resident of one of the participating countries in order to claim the prize. you may currently be residing elsewhere and it is not necessary to be a passport holder of the same though. I hope it rolls one more time. Won 20 pounds on it last week.

Shalini,

Your remark sounds very interesting to me. Does that imply, for example, that an international tourist can not claim the prize, if won, in his/her name even with a proper identification such as passport? Or, is that limited only to online play through UK National-Lottery online account? (As I understand it, online plays are open generally to those residents of UK only.)

I am asking this because, just having read the so comprehensive Terms and Conditions of the UK National-Lottery, I failed to find any such clause, though I might have skipped inadvertently.

The Terms and Conditions may be found by clicking "Terms and Conditions" which appears on the bottom of the following UK National-Lottery site.

http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/promotions/promotions.do?promo=helparea

(may possibly irrelevant to the issue, but just for reference from an international perspective, here is, as I remember, what Korean press reported last year: 'as of 2005 Kookmin Bank, operating Korean Lotto 645 under a licence from the Korean government, announced that 4 different foreigners hit jackpots, $16 million in total, and of course legitimately claimed the prizes. Most of them were from Southeast Asian countries.' It was known that most of them have gone back to their own countries.)

Good luck!

hi anonymous. I know I read it. I will just have to look harder. I somehow remember it because I love playing lottos everywhere and therefore end up reading the rules that go along. Maybe I mistook it and it was for another lotto. I will have to look. Thank you for your input.

new delhi
      India
      Member #22145
      September 20, 2005
      174 Posts
      Posted: January 3, 2006, 1:07 am - IP Logged

Thats it. To play online that must be the rule. I play it online most of the year except when in the UK. I am definitely quite stupid. Never mind. Apologies to anyone I needed to apologise to.

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
        United States
        Member #19651
        August 3, 2005
        621 Posts
        Posted: January 3, 2006, 1:10 am - IP Logged

I FOUND a sight  that said that also  it seemed real but it was a fake    i' m playing now last week i got a small win it's over a 100 million cash  or 300+ mm or pb size

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
          Member #2338
          September 17, 2003
          2063 Posts
          Posted: January 3, 2006, 3:53 am - IP Logged

It would be appealing, but $5 a ticket seems a bit pricey.

I agree but a ticket if you were in the UK tickets are $2.60 each plus the price of flying over there.

best site I have found for past draw info is this : google for national-lottery uk resultshistory then click on first item and select euromillions. at the current jackpot level it looks like it grows around 10 million pounds per draw. I'm not getting tickets this time but definitly get them very early next time as I'm sure they will close sales early due to to interest in this game now.

You can claim a prize if you win even if you are from the US. The UK even had a winner of the UK lotto purchased in Switzerland through a service like prime ticket and it's legal - although it does aggravate the loosing UK players. You can not however buy tickets on the internet directly from any participating lottery like the national uk lottery, you would have to use a 3rd party like prime ticket service.

The only lotteries that have limits on where the winner can be from are "green card" lotteries held by the US and possibly other countries.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
            Chief Bottle Washer
            New Jersey
            United States
            Member #1
            May 31, 2000
            23277 Posts
            Posted: January 3, 2006, 6:18 am - IP Logged

just for your info guys you have to be a resident of one of the participating countries in order to claim the prize. you may currently be residing elsewhere and it is not necessary to be a passport holder of the same though. I hope it rolls one more time. Won 20 pounds on it last week.

That is totally untrue!  It's really not a good idea to make statements like that when you're not in possession of the facts.

Todd, these are the rules of the Euromillions. You can check it on their website. And, also I think the last bit of your remark is totally uncalled for.

As you have discovered, those are not the rules of Euro Millions, which is why I made that remark.  You should be careful when making general statements that contradict the general consensus, as there is no reason to get people all wound up for no reason.  I'm not saying to not put an idea out there, but maybe you could have suggested the possibility that someone would need to be a resident, instead of stating it like it was a fact (which it wasn't).  I apologize if you took offense at my remark.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
            What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
            Help eliminate computerized drawings!

new delhi
              India
              Member #22145
              September 20, 2005
              174 Posts
              Posted: January 3, 2006, 7:45 am - IP Logged

white flag Todd

Think's avatar - lightbulb
                Marquette, MI
                United States
                Member #20541
                August 20, 2005
                705 Posts
                Posted: January 3, 2006, 9:58 am - IP Logged

dvdiva,

If you're considering tickets, I would highly recommend not waiting any longer.  Be sure to get them for this Friday's drawing.

Most people don't realize how HUGE that jackpot really is.

It's ALL CASH and TAX FREE.

So what does that mean?  If you think about it in terms of a big Mega Millions or Powerball jackpot, they would have to be somewhere around $350 million - $370 million to get an after-tax cash prize of that much.

Plus, as you mentioned, the odds of winning Euro Millions are MUCH BETTER than MM or PB, and there are FOURTEEN prize levels, instead of nine for MM and PB.

If you win the jackpot, your prize is already in another country, so you're only taxed on what you actually bring into the USA.

How great is that??

In Michigan 100,110,000/.611=163,846,153 or for a guestimate

100,110,000/.36= about 278,000,000 mega millions jackpot

As far as not being taxed on any money not brought into the US that is tricky and I think the IRS would disagree with you (maybe they would have no disagreement with your lawyers?)

Marquette, MI
                  United States
                  Member #20541
                  August 20, 2005
                  705 Posts
                  Posted: January 3, 2006, 10:09 am - IP Logged

Oh, I suppose I should have pointed out 350,000,000*.36=126,000,000

370,000,000*.36=133,000,000

That is about the equiv MM Cash in MI

BaristaExpress's avatar - BaristaExpressMX zpsfb0d8b5d.png
                    Magnolia, Delaware
                    United States
                    Member #18795
                    July 20, 2005
                    789 Posts
                    Posted: January 3, 2006, 11:30 am - IP Logged

Now Think, You got to be kidding me right? How in Gods name is the IRS going to know anything about any US citizen winning the lottery in another country? (This I'd like to know, that is if you have any answer that would amount to a pile of salt) The IRS isn't going to know not a thing, unless the winner opens their mouth or tries to bring the money into the US without declaring it when going through customs! Only a dummy/idiot would do something like that! The smart thing to do is to leave it over there as not to have to claim the win to the IRS! Besides with that kind of money you will be on vacation traveling around Europe with the family! There is nothing in US Tax law that says you can't have an off-shore bank account! The IRS only goes after you for using those funds from said account to live on while living here in the US and not claiming said money as income on your taxes!! That's called tax evasion! So if you don't use the money to live on while in the US it can't be called income, now can it? No it can't!

I know I wouldn't bring any money back to the US so I could be taxed on my good fortune of winning the Euro Millions! 

Keep dreaming the impossible dream, it just may come true! Thumbs Up

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
                      United States
                      Member #19651
                      August 3, 2005
                      621 Posts
                      Posted: January 3, 2006, 1:40 pm - IP Logged

if you come though Texas the irs will not see you

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
                        United States
                        Member #19651
                        August 3, 2005
                        621 Posts
                        Posted: January 3, 2006, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

the odds seem better with eurocash and with mm at 12 mill why not go after the big cash i've done well on line and trust prime time  if you win who cares where you pick up the cash  and as for the irs thats what lawyers are for  go to ny and you will find people with big condo and are'nt from the us  i can get a car on my mastercard /visa  you can get around anything

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
                          Chief Bottle Washer
                          New Jersey
                          United States
                          Member #1
                          May 31, 2000
                          23277 Posts
                          Posted: January 3, 2006, 2:13 pm - IP Logged

Oh, I suppose I should have pointed out 350,000,000*.36=126,000,000

370,000,000*.36=133,000,000

That is about the equiv MM Cash in MI

That's approximately amount you'd get from the lottery.  You'd owe a lot more taxes after that, but I guess you'd discover that after you win!

If you're trying to say that my estimate was off, I supposed it could be off by a little, but arguing that point is not very worthwhile, because you're missing the forest for the trees.

I also disagree that it would be "tricky" to leave the money offshore.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
                          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
                          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

konane's avatar - wallace
                            Atlanta, GA
                            United States
                            Member #1265
                            March 13, 2003
                            3333 Posts
                            Posted: January 3, 2006, 2:39 pm - IP Logged

Shalini, the terms you read may be very much like Mega Millions and Powerball rules in the US.

We have Mega Millions in Georgia but if I were to go to California, purchase a MM ticket there which was a winner, then I would have to claim that winning ticket in California even if it meant making a special trip that far if required to claim it in person. You have to make your claim through the lottery in the state where the ticket was purchased.

Hope you hit really big if playing this draw!!

Good luck to everyone!

Marquette, MI
                              United States
                              Member #20541
                              August 20, 2005
                              705 Posts
                              Posted: January 3, 2006, 10:15 pm - IP Logged

Now Think, You got to be kidding me right? How in Gods name is the IRS going to know anything about any US citizen winning the lottery in another country? (This I'd like to know, that is if you have any answer that would amount to a pile of salt) The IRS isn't going to know not a thing, unless the winner opens their mouth or tries to bring the money into the US without declaring it when going through customs! Only a dummy/idiot would do something like that! The smart thing to do is to leave it over there as not to have to claim the win to the IRS! Besides with that kind of money you will be on vacation traveling around Europe with the family! There is nothing in US Tax law that says you can't have an off-shore bank account! The IRS only goes after you for using those funds from said account to live on while living here in the US and not claiming said money as income on your taxes!! That's called tax evasion! So if you don't use the money to live on while in the US it can't be called income, now can it? No it can't!

I know I wouldn't bring any money back to the US so I could be taxed on my good fortune of winning the Euro Millions! 

Thanks for the good laugh BaristaExpress!

I should point out that the smart thing to do is to hire somebody who knows the tax law (aka lawyer).  Then MAYBE you can not pay taxes on some or all of it!

If you want to sneak and hide and have that weight on your shoulders then go for it if it is really worth spending the rest of your life in jail for major tax evasion charges!

You say --

"So if you don't use the money to live on while in the US it can't be called income, now can it?"

I say read the tax code!