Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

GA-KY-VA Lose for Life

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 11 years ago by CASH Only.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Will you boycott if no cash option?

Yes [ 8 ]  [26.67%]
No [ 19 ]  [63.33%]
Maybe [ 3 ]  [10.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 30 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  

United States
Member #13801
April 14, 2005
48 Posts
Posted: January 7, 2006, 4:28 am - IP Logged

A tri-state game and the cash option is only $520,000? That's pathetic.

I would MUCH rather have Lotto Georgia than this junk.

You need two things for a good mid-tier 6-number lottery game, IMO:

1. reasonable odds
2. nice size jackpot (i.e., above $1 million)

They've failed to meet the second requirement. This game is barely better than a 5-number game.

Let's be honest here. This change is being made for one reason: so the lottery commissions can make more money at the expense of the lottery players. They win more, we win less. They've decided to just throw a bunch of small prizes at us, hoping that it'll distract us from noticing how small the jackpot is.

Anyone else agree with me here, or do ya'll like this decision?

Someone posted earlier that maybe Georgia will have this game AND bring back Lotto Georgia. I certainly hope so! (although, I doubt it)

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
    Tennessee
    United States
    Member #7853
    October 15, 2004
    11338 Posts
    Posted: January 7, 2006, 4:42 am - IP Logged

1. reasonable odds

They've failed to meet the second requirement. This game is barely better than a 5-number game.

Let's be honest here. This change is being made for one reason: so the lottery commissions can make more money at the expense of the lottery players. They win more, we win less. They've decided to just throw a bunch of small prizes at us, hoping that it'll distract us from noticing how small the jackpot is.

Someone posted earlier that maybe Georgia will have this game AND bring back Lotto Georgia. I certainly hope so! (although, I doubt it)

they should've just kept lotto south instead of this new game because it is not going to last.i'm with you they should just bring back lotto georgia.if not at least leave lotto south alone.in my opinion lotto south wasn't that bad of a game.........

Coastal Georgia
      United States
      Member #2653
      October 30, 2003
      1866 Posts
      Posted: January 7, 2006, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

I agree Lotto South wasn't really that bad of a game, but it sure didn't sell a lot of tickets outside of GA.

GA should have kept it and renamed it Georgia Lotto or something like that.

The win for life game to me is gimmicky.

United States
        Member #13801
        April 14, 2005
        48 Posts
        Posted: January 7, 2006, 3:31 pm - IP Logged

LOTTOMIKE:

I agree.  I like Lotto South.  I'd be happy with Lotto Georgia or Lotto South, because both have nice size jackpots (both start at $2 million).

DoubleDown:

You're absolutely right, DD, this new game certainly is gimmicky.  And it has to be, because the state lotteries are trying to fool lottery players into playing this game.

The cash option for this game, $520,000, is an absolute joke, and the state lotteries know it.  The average cash value of a Lotto South jackpot is $4 to $5 million.  But what's even more absurd is that the cash value of this ridiculous new tri-state game is smaller than the average cash value of the old state lotto games (the cash value of Lotto Georgia started at $1 million).

I also think it's laughable that 3 states are forming a game that can barely produce a jackpot that is bigger than a 5-number game in 1 state (GA's Fantasy 5).  So why should people play this WinForLife game, when the odds of winning a 5-number game are 10 times easier (WinForLife's odds are 1 in 5,245,786 while Fantasy 5's odds are only 1 in 575,757).

And finally, here's a quote from the Virginia Lottery 4 years ago, explaining why they were changing Lotto Virginia to Lotto South for the bigger jackpots:  ''A million dollars just isn't what it used to be.''

After taxes, the cash value of this new WinForLife game will only be about $350,000, barely one-third of a million dollars.

United States
          Member #379
          June 5, 2002
          11296 Posts
          Posted: January 7, 2006, 4:18 pm - IP Logged

The cash value of the WA scratch game Lucky for Life is $750,000. Its regular prize also is $1000/week.

Virginia
            United States
            Member #26983
            November 25, 2005
            167 Posts
            Posted: January 7, 2006, 4:40 pm - IP Logged

The Lottery is always looking for ways to generate more revenue.  In this case, it will attempt to exploit its loyal players in the process.  Virginia is taking a step in the wrong direction. Our neighbor (North Carolina) is about to get Powerball.

United States
              Member #1826
              July 11, 2003
              2645 Posts
              Posted: January 7, 2006, 5:58 pm - IP Logged

I think they should have revitalized Lotto South with a WinFall concept or and all-cash jackpot, maybe bigger lower tier prizes. LS could have held it's own, but has to set itself apart, and the forces that be would rather not give it the chance.

(insert signature here)

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: January 7, 2006, 6:17 pm - IP Logged

here lies

lotto south
                                                    2001-2006

"gone but not forgotten"

Alabama
                  United States
                  Member #17830
                  June 27, 2005
                  309 Posts
                  Posted: January 9, 2006, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

1. reasonable odds

As I've stated numerous times in the forum,* I would much rather see the return of Lotto Georgia in it's original format.

You are right about the WFL game being barely better than a 5-number game. In fact, it may reduce Fantasy 5 sales.   My fear is that, if this game generates a large amount of sales initially, the GLC will consider shutting down Fantasy 5 as well.

I said earlier that I would spend some of my lottery budget on the WFL game IF the GLC also brought back Lotto Georgia, but if they were to also eliminate Fantasy 5, I'd just play some Lotto Georgia and spend more on TN Lotto 5 and FL Fantasy 5. I sincerely believe that the GLC would do better in the long term by bringing back Lotto Georgia.

*( I'm not trying to annoy LP members by bringing this up often, I'm just hoping that GLC officials are taking note -- surely they read Lottery Post! And the squeaky wheel gets the grease, right?! )

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

konane's avatar - wallace
                    Atlanta, GA
                    United States
                    Member #1265
                    March 13, 2003
                    3333 Posts
                    Posted: January 9, 2006, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

Bottom line I have trusted friends in other states. 

If the WFL game is not to my liking or if they shut down Georgia Fantasy 5 then will happily have friends out of state fatten their lotteries with my discretionary lottery dollars.  Big Grin

Good luck to everyone!

Knoxville
                      United States
                      Member #13510
                      April 7, 2005
                      89 Posts
                      Posted: January 9, 2006, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

I my opinion they should have added TN to Lotto South and it would have really taken off!  After learning the rules/odds/payoff you would have to be a damn fool to play WFL.

konane's avatar - wallace
                        Atlanta, GA
                        United States
                        Member #1265
                        March 13, 2003
                        3333 Posts
                        Posted: January 9, 2006, 1:32 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone have information as to how much Win For Life tickets are going to cost per play? 

Good luck to everyone!

Alabama
                          United States
                          Member #17830
                          June 27, 2005
                          309 Posts
                          Posted: January 9, 2006, 3:41 pm - IP Logged

Does anyone have information as to how much Win For Life tickets are going to cost per play?

I just got off the phone with a representative of the Kentucky Lottery and she told me that Win For Life would be drawn exactly like Lotto South and that tickets will cost $1.00 per play.

I would have called GA, but they have that pesky 900 number for out-of-state folks. I did email GLC via their web site to ask those questions - I'll let you know if I receive a reply.

Check out the benefits of a Lottery Post Premium Membership!

Want to know more?  >> Click Here <<

Read what Platinum Members have to say:  << Click Here >> 

United States
                            Member #379
                            June 5, 2002
                            11296 Posts
                            Posted: January 12, 2006, 8:05 pm - IP Logged

I voted NO.  Boycott might be a bit strong... 

By the way, there WILL be a cash option choice according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution today.

The cash option is a lump sum of $520,000.

DD

Oh, and if I don't like another member's opinion, I do not have to respond.

Today the GA lottery e-mailed me and told me GA _will_not_ offer a cash option. Either the cash option is up to each state, or it's a false rumor.

Coastal Georgia
                              United States
                              Member #2653
                              October 30, 2003
                              1866 Posts
                              Posted: January 12, 2006, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

I voted NO.  Boycott might be a bit strong... 

By the way, there WILL be a cash option choice according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution today.

The cash option is a lump sum of $520,000.

DD

Oh, and if I don't like another member's opinion, I do not have to respond.

Today the GA lottery e-mailed me and told me GA _will_not_ offer a cash option. Either the cash option is up to each state, or it's a false rumor.

Ruh Roh.... Mad

If they do not offer a cash option, then lose for life will never ever ever see any money from DD.

Thanks Cash