Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 2:44 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A question of the lottery being worth it

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Littleoldlady.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Columbia City, Indiana
United States
Member #2978
December 9, 2003
381 Posts
Posted: January 21, 2006, 6:12 pm - IP Logged

Lottaloot said:

"You could not have gotten me to spend a dollar 2 yrs ago & I didn't know a wheel from a box. "

Your "problem" is very simple: You're caught up in the throes of discovery. Since the learning process is incremental, it's reasonable to assume that your obsession to know the numbers immediately after the drawing stems from what you've learned over the past two years, and how you've learned it.

I'm not a psychologist (I just play one on the forum), but I know from personal experience that if someone has success with an operation he has previously performed, he will tend to repeat the same steps of that operation in the identical order during subsequent performances. It can be compared to learning to tie your shoes; at first, a very daunting task but, as you gain experience, it becomes second nature and you no longer have to think about each individual step.

What I'm saying (and not very clearly) is that, since you checked the numbers immediately after the drawing when you won the money to take your trip (and probably any other winnings you've had), your mind has subconsciously glommed onto the idea that winning depends upon whether you check the number ASAP, because that's how it happened last time. And the time before.

Ride it out, Lottaloot. After you've been at it a while longer, I'd guess this obsession will probably disappear, only to be replaced with another facet of the lottery puzzle to monopolize your waking hours. When and if this happens, be sure to let us know. 

In the meantime, if you're still concerned about your "obsession," tune in to USA Network at 10pm (EST) on Fridays and watch the new season of Monk. It won't solve your problems, but you'll be able to point at the screen and tell yourself, "Hey - at least I'm not that guy."

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
    Redford/MI
    United States
    Member #3396
    January 18, 2004
    4867 Posts
    Posted: January 21, 2006, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

ROFL

I just play one on the forum ROFLROFLROFL

L ttaL   T

four4me's avatar - gate1
      MD
      United States
      Member #1701
      June 18, 2003
      8358 Posts
      Posted: January 21, 2006, 6:58 pm - IP Logged
      I don't think your addicted but it's more of a preoccupation with lottery numbers because you have a data base that doesn't automatically update. Since you are the person entering the numbers in it and working the pages you are caught in a loop so to speak. If you don't update it every day or at some specific time and let a day or two go buy then you end up spending twice the time playing catch up with your files. This is especially bothersome if you have multiple pages of info. that needs updating.

Me I'm obsessed with lottery numbers I am in front of the TV watching the drawings holding my breath to see if I won and constantly check the prediction board to see if any of my favorite picks hit somewhere else not because I'm playing on that off shore place but because certain numbers might travel and I just need to know what hit where and when. I'm constantly looking for an edge to try and find different ways of winning.

I spend the rest of my time between drawings thinking to myself why I missed the pick4 drawing by one digit or how come I didn't pick the right number to play. Of course when I win I am overjoyed and it all seems worth it because my efforts paid off. These are the highs and lows of playing the lottery and I try and take the good days with the bad. Sometimes I think why not just delete all my files and give up all together and get a new hobby. Then it hits me I love trying to figure out what will happen next with my files. If by chance that one number I've been waiting for to show up will rear it's head and I can drop a 20 spot on it.

You might just need a little break in the action. Take a few days off and play catch up with your files when you feel energized.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19814 Posts
        Posted: January 21, 2006, 8:33 pm - IP Logged

lottaloot writes:
        I use to like playing the lottery; but now, it seems like it's draining the life out of me. 
        .....if I'm at work and it's not busy (like now) I spend time on the computer doing lottery related things--like the forum & checking the numbers.

Maybe you should have a talk with your boss, maybe he/she can find something more interesting for you to do.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
          Member #13130
          March 30, 2005
          2171 Posts
          Posted: January 21, 2006, 8:34 pm - IP Logged

Lotta,

If you got to the point where you could pick 1 number for midday and 1 number for evening (any state) and win all the time, would you be estaticBlue Angel? Or would you get bored longing for the days of the "struggle" and eventually ask to go to the "other place"Evil Looking?

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
          Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

Redford/MI
            United States
            Member #3396
            January 18, 2004
            4867 Posts
            Posted: January 21, 2006, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

Lotta,

If you got to the point where you could pick 1 number for midday and 1 number for evening (any state) and win all the time, would you be estaticBlue Angel? Or would you get bored longing for the days of the "struggle" and eventually ask to go to the "other place"Evil Looking?

I would be ecstatic. 

L ttaL   T

Redford/MI
              United States
              Member #3396
              January 18, 2004
              4867 Posts
              Posted: January 21, 2006, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

I think that I am just ticked off because the 223 that I was playing yesterday in all states with the last of my online money, came out today & I did not have it in. 

I had resorted to playing one state at a time.  Played MI & lost--so I decided to go back to my old ways & play all states.

Now, I have to wait till next month to play. 

Just needed to vent, I guess.

Thanks for listening. 

L ttaL   T

Amazing Grace's avatar - lion
                rainbow lake
                Canada
                Member #25177
                November 2, 2005
                10762 Posts
                Posted: January 21, 2006, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

It will all pay off one day when you drop $50.00 on a double for a box hit thats $8000.00

I spent a lot of time also some times i think i am losing it. I take a break go enjoy everybody and everything.

Then i come back and say Dam i missed that number.

Then i think whats it matter anyways, nothing has changed lol.

Then i chase another.

Then i let them chase me (Thats the best)

Then i go to bed and await another day.

Its a hobby.

Its a challenge.

and in the summer i go back to gardening and trying to grow big pumpkins.

But i can always go back to my numbers and you know what.

Nothing has changed.

Its still the same dam numbers just like always.

There always there for you.

Sound like you just like the challenge

and your posts show your good at it.

So take a break if you need it.

You may come back hotter than ever.

Clear your mind.

Open your mind.

Relax.

And when your done .

Get back here and pick a number for us In Western Canada.

Anna, TX
                  United States
                  Member #26720
                  November 21, 2005
                  263 Posts
                  Posted: January 21, 2006, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

Whew. I am relieved to know that I am not alone.

Like you, I have dropped a little cash here and there and made a little money, but I don't play all the time. I WATCH the numbers ALL  the time though. Its all new for me and seeing something hit somewhere I predicted (to myself) or chase a number here or there and it happens makes me feel like I HAVE to figure this game out.

When I am at home I am on the computer working with numbers, or reading different ways to do things.  When I speak lotto people look at me confused because they have no idea what I am talking about.  When I am at work, working or not, I am working on numbers.  It doesn't help I work on a computer all night.

My husband says I come to bed later and later, my kids get thrown off the computer all the time.  My 3 year old is starting to demand I take her for walks....haha.

So, I understand. I am trying to gain perspective at the same time still pursue my numbers. Im going to start by taking my daughter to the park this week.

And yeah, when I lose a little money I put in I think I am wasting my time. It lasts about 5 minutes before I start working on my numbers again. 

I might even go to bed early one night...

haha. 

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                    Pennsylvania
                    United States
                    Member #1340
                    April 6, 2003
                    2450 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2006, 8:44 am - IP Logged

it gets easier when you truly believe you have tried everything in your power and still can't beat it. sure that's not always the case playing all state picks, but it sure is for jackpot games.

I can take 'em or leave 'em... when I worked out my latest failed attempt, I had to update about 2 years worth of pick3/4 data into my excel sheets... my cash5 files are about 3 years old.

when I am on a new lead, chasing down a different idea... then I might get a bit busy with changing things and backtesting... but when it doesn't pan out into the one pick wonder system of my dreams, I drop it. I save the files and if I revisit stuff, have to do alot of updating. If I didn't play, I don't really care what the numbers were.

when I play powerball, I go to their website to check the numbers the next day... try that ;-) check the results the next day... no waiting involved.

right now I have no active systems... not the first time either... more free time...

one thing for sure, in your pursuit of the numbers, your excel skills have increased by orders of magnitude... I'm learning stuff from your posts about excel macros all the time.

if you enjoy it, and it does nobody else any harm, then enjoy yourself. Lottery isn't my main hobby... I play the guitar, have for 20+ years... If I have my way, they'll bury me with one ;-)

do try for awhile just checking the numbers the day after... then you are doing what you love in a more time-efficient manner... give it a week, you'll see

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                      PA
                      United States
                      Member #22983
                      October 6, 2005
                      2226 Posts
                      Posted: January 22, 2006, 10:14 am - IP Logged

The lottery was an obsession for me for a few months prior to the Big $300 million dollar jackpot win by the West family, and about 2 months or so after. I did not spend a lot really, but far more than I wanted to. I got sick of all the losses, and I have not played for a month or more now. No big deal. Once you shake being caught up in the moment, and do other things, you can easily forget it. I have been even posting much less here. The lottery has far more lows than highs for most.

Of course that also depends on how good you already have it financially, self-discipline, and how often you keep looking for and needing more money. I put myself on a lottery budget months ago, and it is not that fun. But it protects you from having even less money that you already have. At least you are still in the game once in awhile, and have a chance to win. Just not as often. But it seems like when you are trying to force wins, you just lose more. So moderation seems to be the key.

four4me's avatar - gate1
                        MD
                        United States
                        Member #1701
                        June 18, 2003
                        8358 Posts
                        Posted: January 22, 2006, 11:57 am - IP Logged

I forgot to mention I keep all my losing tickets and I keep looking at them piling up in boxes and such and keep saying to myself. This money I am investing playing the lottery isn't making the return I thought it would. (losing more than wining at this point in time) an I'm wondering if I will ever recoup my spending. While pondering that though I also think there must be a better way to use the money I'm spending in some other venture like stocks and bond trading or currency trading. Something that if I have solvent cash to spend that will give me a return of grater value. Since all those losing tickets are only good for kindling and or tax relief should I win large amount playing the lottery.

LiLSpeedy's avatar - 2714
                          Decatur, GA
                          United States
                          Member #20471
                          August 18, 2005
                          2668 Posts
                          Posted: January 22, 2006, 12:17 pm - IP Logged

LOL, I don't think you have a problem at all. I don't think any of us are playing the lottery just for fun. We are in this thing to win. So like anything else, we want to give ourself the best chance as possible to win. This can only be accomplished by hard work. The fun comes when your system starts to work for you on a continuous basis. As for myself, I don't drink or take drugs, so what the hell, I am going to play the lottery and enjoy myself. Do you have a problem, I DON'T THINK SO!

HAVE FUN WINNING MONEY SWEETIE!

Sparta, NJ
                            United States
                            Member #18331
                            July 9, 2005
                            1977 Posts
                            Posted: January 22, 2006, 12:50 pm - IP Logged

A lot of people become obssessed with whatever is peaking their interest. Last year it was one thing, this year it is something else. Find something you like, you become hooked on it and the lottery will be a past time.

Cheers

|||::> *'`*:-.,_,.-:*''*:--->>> Chewie  <<<---.*''*:-.,_,.-:*''* <:::|||

I only trust myself - and that's a questionable choice

Maine
                              United States
                              Member #12412
                              March 13, 2005
                              21 Posts
                              Posted: January 22, 2006, 5:48 pm - IP Logged

Hi Lottoloot,

And I thought I was the only one who thinks about the lottery numbers most of the time.  I only play one state (FL) and have not had any success like you have had, yet I remain fascinated by these numbers.  The game I like to play is the Fantasy Five, tho it is played everyday, I do not have the money to play everyday, but I really enjoy the process of trying to analyze why certain numbers come up.  I save my my worksheets to see  what I missed, while in the back of my mind I wonder if it is all a waste of time.  Then I visit this website, most times as a guest, to reassure myself that I'm not the only one.  Like 4forme, I save my losing tickets and get depressed when I see how many losers I have,  yet I'm updating my games and eagerly looking those numbers over and over again.  I don't talk about my fascination in public because most people do not understand it.  (My husband included).  Sometimes, like you, it seems to feel like alot of work and the enjoyment is not there anymore.  When that happens, I just take a few days off and come back to it.  I hope you are feeling better and know that you are not alone.