Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A question of the lottery being worth it

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Littleoldlady.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
LANTERN's avatar - kilroy 28_173_reasonably_small.jpg
Tx
United States
Member #4570
May 4, 2004
5180 Posts
Posted: January 22, 2006, 9:40 pm - IP Logged

Lottaloot

Maybe you might want to quit playing the lottery for money for at least 3 months.

I don't say quit playing it, do play, but not for any money at all, that might take some of the stress off of playing it.

You might want to take onto something else besides the lottery, so in time the lottery won't be as important as it is right now, devide your interests, so in time you won't be as interested in the lottery as you are right now, it must be something as interesting and as absorbing and as time consuming, so one interest will put the other in check, so you might be able to better control both of them.

Get a dog or cat, or get a group of people with which to play many games like card games and monopoly, chess, checkerds, dominoes, whatever, does not have to be for money, use those colored plastic disks whatever their name is, or play with pennies or nickels.

Better yet learn programming, VB or even old basic such as GW Basic, there are even free programs, some for DOS (Disk Operating System) , some for Windows, or other programming languages, there are so many free programs out there ready for you to download and also many free programming tutorials.

Otherwise take some chemistry even just basic or study it on your own, it is very interesting, or basic electronics, and or take Excel, what about collecting something, like coins or stamps or whatever, what about learning Naturopathy on your own and or with some help, try looking for Dr. Hulda Clark, on the net use Google.

Learn alternate health therapies. 

Better yet, take Yoga and or join a health club, don't spend all your free time on the lottery.

What about a nice little dog. 

And or take a six months vacation from the lottery.

BibleOnline  ParishesOnline  ChristianRadioOnline   MassOnline   Mass

"Ten measures of beauty descended to the world, nine were taken by Jerusalem."

lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
    Redford/MI
    United States
    Member #3396
    January 18, 2004
    4867 Posts
    Posted: January 22, 2006, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

I feel great now. 

I think I just needed some rest & to get over my loss.  Want to know something??  I just got done arguing with the video store cuz they say I owe a late fee ($2.50) and I don't believe I owe it cuz I hate getting late fees for movies--for anything actually.  (I am CHEAP)===> So you can imagine how I felt about that $50.00 Mad

Also, I am very impatient (VERY impatient)  and when it doesn't happen quickly (my number hitting right when I play I mean), I become very upset. 

I know the world doesn't always give you what you want "when you want it", --but I still have a hard time with that concept cuz "I want what I want" as soon as I want it. :=)  

But hey, I will just have to wait patiently (LOL) till next month when I get to try my luck again.Jester

L ttaL   T

lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
      Redford/MI
      United States
      Member #3396
      January 18, 2004
      4867 Posts
      Posted: January 22, 2006, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

Lottaloot

Maybe you might want to quit playing the lottery for money for at least 3 months.

I don't say quit playing it, do play, but not for any money at all, that might take some of the stress off of playing it.

You might want to take onto something else besides the lottery, so in time the lottery won't be as important as it is right now, devide your interests, so in time you won't be as interested in the lottery as you are right now, it must be something as interesting and as absorbing and as time consuming, so one interest will put the other in check, so you might be able to better control both of them.

Get a dog or cat, or get a group of people with which to play many games like card games and monopoly, chess, checkerds, dominoes, whatever, does not have to be for money, use those colored plastic disks whatever their name is, or play with pennies or nickels.

Better yet learn programming, VB or even old basic such as GW Basic, there are even free programs, some for DOS (Disk Operating System) , some for Windows, or other programming languages, there are so many free programs out there ready for you to download and also many free programming tutorials.

Otherwise take some chemistry even just basic or study it on your own, it is very interesting, or basic electronics, and or take Excel, what about collecting something, like coins or stamps or whatever, what about learning Naturopathy on your own and or with some help, try looking for Dr. Hulda Clark, on the net use Google.

Better yet, take Yoga and or join a health club, don't spend all your free time on the lottery.

All that other stuff is a no-no.  Don't do animals, know too much Chemistry as it is, hate collecting things (like to throw things out though :=))

Health therapies (yuck) Deal with too much health issues as it is.

But there is one thing I like even more than the lottery===>Better yet learn programming, VB

I love the computer, excel with those cute little cells, and did I say the computer?

Now if someone could walk me thru building a computer (that would be fun Jester)

I did have a dog though (when I was 12)  His name was Sam Bo-Bo Tate--fed him peanut butter crackers. Big Grin

Unfortunately, He died in the house fire that my brothers accidentally set while looking for the dog under the bed.  The netting caught on fire--(and hey, they are much younger than me).

I got out alive with 2nd & 3rd degree burns to about 35% of my body. (But not my face, Thank God) Thus, now I don't do animals. 

True story (no pity though--please) That's what makes me the person that I am today.

L ttaL   T

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
        Wisconsin
        United States
        Member #1303
        March 27, 2003
        1508 Posts
        Posted: January 22, 2006, 10:05 pm - IP Logged

I feel great now. 

I think I just needed some rest & to get over my loss.  Want to know something??  I just got done arguing with the video store cuz they say I owe a late fee ($2.50) and I don't believe I owe it cuz I hate getting late fees for movies--for anything actually.  (I am CHEAP)===> So you can imagine how I felt about that $50.00 Mad

Also, I am very impatient (VERY impatient)  and when it doesn't happen quickly (my number hitting right when I play I mean), I become very upset. 

I know the world doesn't always give you what you want "when you want it", --but I still have a hard time with that concept cuz "I want what I want" as soon as I want it. :=)  

But hey, I will just have to wait patiently (LOL) till next month when I get to try my luck again.Jester

So I am not the only one who is cheap and impatient.  The cheap thing is kinda no-choice....I'm working on the impatient thing. <g>

Funny though how things work when you hit on a P3 the first day you play it like today's CA midday which I worked out this morning and it came in...then you don't feel so impatient. LOL !  Sometimes you do get what you want right away.  But yeah, it can be frustrating when you have to wait. ANd more often then not we do seem to have to wait.....So you are not alone.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
          Member #5344
          June 30, 2004
          23641 Posts
          Posted: January 22, 2006, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

Crazy

I eat number,

I bathe with numbers,

I sleep with numbers,

I work with numbers,

I drive with numbers,

Everything thing I do, I think of numbers..

I am in the same boat with you..

However, my problem is vtrac exchange with numbers..

when I see a number, my mind automatic gives the vtrac exchange.. or the vtrac number for that.

I have been laying low with pick 3 the last few days and playing around with pick 4.. The pay out has been great.. and it is a different challenge.. Trying to break the constant flow of vtracs in the bring...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
            Member #1826
            July 11, 2003
            2645 Posts
            Posted: January 22, 2006, 11:14 pm - IP Logged

I'm pretty pre-occupied with the lottery myself, albiet not with the same aspects of the lottery. Don't worry about it, some people have hobbies that they take very seriously, and that's healthy as long as you make sure to balance it with other things. And if that doesn't make you feel better remember this, at least the Lottery doesn't cause cancer (and usually it doesn't cause anything, lottery addiction is extremely rare).

(insert signature here)

United States
              Member #21574
              September 11, 2005
              138 Posts
              Posted: January 22, 2006, 11:19 pm - IP Logged

I feel great now. 

... I want what I want (WHEN & HOW I want it !!!)...

Ever hear the one about the monkey and the peanut jar ?

What do you get when you stick a very hungry, impatient, stubborn monkey in a room with a very LARGE jar (of peanuts) with a very small opening ?

A dead monkey...STARVED to death with a fist full of peanuts.

The monkey can jam his entire hand into the jar and grab a fist full of peanuts (but not get its fist out) or COMPROMISE and LEARN to take a
              few at a time.

Moral of the story: you NEVER get what you want WHEN and HOW you want it.

Anyone addicted to anything is living a life out of balance. Everyone wants to make a connection with something to validate our individual identity. When we experience failures we become frustrated and try to force things we are NOT prepared for. (The difference between a challenge and a formality is preparation.)   Ultimately, we attempt to ESCAPE the conflict by running (not walking) to anything (ie vice) that accepts us unconditionally. That way we can fool ourselves into feeling validated.

However, we are just kidding ourselves. The real answers we seek are never found in the escape...they are found squarely in the face of the conflict we foolishly try to escape from. The conflict is WITHIN us, therefore, when we are genuinely honest with ourselves we admit there is NO escape.

The specifics of your situation are irrelevant. The simple fact is you are a human being and that, by virtue of your humanity, qualifies you to benefit from the 12 steps of recovery.   I highly recommend to anyone who finds their fist stuck in that peanut jar to look closely at steps 2 and 3. Then consider using the greatest power you will ever know (choice) and choose the following:

1. Love yourself for who you are.
                 2. Forgive yourself for what you are NOT.
                 3. Choose to believe that a power greater than yourself loves you at
                      least enough to see you through.

Gather your faith and the fear will scatter...

A loving God WILL give you what you need (not what you want) when
                 you need it most.

United States
                Member #5344
                June 30, 2004
                23641 Posts
                Posted: January 22, 2006, 11:21 pm - IP Logged

A lot of people become obssessed with whatever is peaking their interest. Last year it was one thing, this year it is something else. Find something you like, you become hooked on it and the lottery will be a past time.

I Agree!  I do the same thing.. Here lately it mostly numbers..

One year it was quilting..

One year it was scrapbooking...

Those years I had beautiful quilts and Scrapbooks to show for my hobby..

This year , I have NUMBERS.. and numbers.. charts... and $$$$

Wonder what next year it will be???

time*treat's avatar - radar

United States
                  Member #13130
                  March 30, 2005
                  2171 Posts
                  Posted: January 22, 2006, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Well, Lotta,

At least you know that your fellow asylum-mates will never call you crazy. Crazy

Now, everyone, get back to gnawing at those leather straps. Jester 

In neo-conned Amerika, bank robs you.
                  Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms should be the name of a convenience store, not a govnoment agency.

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: January 22, 2006, 11:59 pm - IP Logged

LottoLoot..

This is what results you get for being informed.. Nothing is wrong with wanting to know lotto results..

You do a fantastic job of helping others..

lottalootCaliforniaDaily 36-Way Box3-0-60-3-6$40
                    lottalootCaliforniaDaily 36-Way Box3-0-60-3-6$40
                    lottalootCaliforniaMidday 3Straight + 6-Way Box3-2-43-2-4$290
                    lottalootCaliforniaMidday 3Straight + 6-Way Box3-2-43-2-4$290
                    lottalootIndianaDaily 3Straight + 6-Way Box9-7-89-7-8$290
                    lottalootIndianaDaily 3Straight + 6-Way Box9-7-89-7-8$290
                    lottalootMarylandMidday Pick 36-Way Box9-7-88-9-7$40
                    lottalootMarylandMidday Pick 36-Way Box9-7-88-9-7$40
                    lottalootMulti-StateTri-State Pick 3 Midday6-Way Box2-6-52-5-6$40
                    lottalootMulti-StateTri-State Pick 3 Midday6-Way Box2-6-52-5-6$40
                    lottalootNew JerseyPick 36-Way Box4-0-90-4-9$40
                    lottalootNew JerseyPick 36-Way Box4-0-90-4-9$40
                    lottalootPennsylvaniaMidday Daily Number6-Way Box6-3-46-4-3$40
                    lottalootPennsylvaniaMidday Daily Number6-Way Box6-3-46-4-3$40
                    lottalootWashington, D.C.Lucky Numbers6-Way Box2-6-55-6-2$40
                    lottalootWashington, D.C.Lucky Numbers6-Way Box2-6-55-6-2$40
                    lottalootWashington, D.C.Midday Lucky Numbers6-Way Box3-2-44-3-2$40
                    lottalootWashington, D.C.Midday Lucky Numbers6-Way Box3-2-44-3-2$40

Sandy K's avatar - graphic pub.jpg
                      Clarkston, Michigan
                      United States
                      Member #76
                      January 6, 2002
                      8528 Posts
                      Posted: January 23, 2006, 7:48 am - IP Logged

LL,

I, too, had that problem.  The problem for me was the thrill of the hunt, not the betting.  I would stay up until the last draw was in also.

For 2 weeks now, I have been clean...lol....I no longer do that.  You just pick a time to shut the computer off.  I cleaned out my online betting account and I am sticking to betting one state....our state, Michigan and I don't bet everyday..........I set traps.......that is my newest venture....If I set the right trap, I can make a bundle...more than betting online all states actually.  2 digit returns are my thing...I have a tripping point of 9.....mid-mid, eve-eve and mid-eve....anytime it goes past 9 draws, I start looking for it.  Michigan is a flaky state, this you already know.  So now I am researching other states to find out what the tripping point for traps is.......when I go back online, this is the state I will play. I prefer a 1 draw state as it takes less of my time to figure things out. So far, Florida has done me well on paper and the results for Florida are in by 8:15 every night and I can shut this computer off early. I have made alot of bucks online, but it just takes too much of my time so I decided to stick with one state, whatever state I end up picking.  I want to end up with 10 picks per day in a one draw state.....$1.00 box..$1.00 straight...now that is 20 bucks a day X 7 days...$140 a week spent.....even a box hit would give me a small profit per week...but the straight hit would give me $760 a week profit.......then if I wish, I can up my bets to 2 bucks straight and box...and so on.

The point I am making is that you can make some bucks concentrating on one state...your research needs to be geared toward one state...a state you know you can win in 7 days. With your knowledge, that should be attainable. 

You are a fantastic researcher and number player.  You should not give it up as it is something you are very good at.  Just set a time.........turn off the computer......the results will still be there in the morning.  You are just taking too much on...slow down, relax, and really find out what you really are looking for.  Your job is not to conquer the whole lottery universe (too much time)....it is to conquer one state (in my opinon).  Big bucks can made doing that.

Sandy

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                        Charlotte NC
                        United States
                        Member #17406
                        June 18, 2005
                        4053 Posts
                        Posted: January 23, 2006, 8:13 am - IP Logged

I Agree!Sandy said: Your job is not to conquer the whole lottery universe (too much time)....it is to conquer one state (in my opinion).  Big bucks can made doing that.

Unless your biggest mission in life is to be one of the beautiful people on LP and have nothing more exciting than to be top dog on a lottery forum.

takeemtothebank

Virginia
                          United States
                          Member #26983
                          November 25, 2005
                          167 Posts
                          Posted: January 23, 2006, 9:21 am - IP Logged

"I use to like playing the lottery; but now, it seems like it's draining the life out of me. All I do is think about playing the lottery..."

Ms. Kim, based on these few lines alone, then the simple answer to the original question is no. You are sacrificing too much for a game. You are worth more than any jackpot. Remember that! Your health (mental, emotional, physical), your family, your entire life cannot be replaced by the largest winning. You are very good with numbers. Now, calculate your worth. You are priceless.

ON BEING PRICELESS...

A well-known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20.00 bill.

In the room of 200, he asked, "Who would like this $20 bill?" Hands started going up.

He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you but first, let me do this.

He proceeded to crumple the $20 dollar bill up.

He then asked, "Who still wants it?" Still the hands were up in the air.

Well, he replied, "What if I do this?"

And he dropped it on the ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe.

He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty. "Now, who still wants it?"

Still the hands went into the air.

My friends, we have all learned a very valuable lesson.

No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20.

Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We feel as though we are worthless.

But no matter what has happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value. Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still
                          priceless...
                            Sandy K's avatar - graphic pub.jpg
                            Clarkston, Michigan
                            United States
                            Member #76
                            January 6, 2002
                            8528 Posts
                            Posted: January 23, 2006, 10:11 am - IP Logged

lol Tenaj....

nope, not me......don't care much.....only thing I care about is making bucks......not interested in being the lottery queen.......

Sandy

paurths's avatar - underground
                              Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
                              Belgium
                              Member #19287
                              July 29, 2005
                              2254 Posts
                              Posted: January 23, 2006, 10:41 am - IP Logged

Lottaloot

All that other stuff is a no-no.  Don't do animals, know too much Chemistry as it is, hate collecting things (like to throw things out though :=))

Health therapies (yuck) Deal with too much health issues as it is.

But there is one thing I like even more than the lottery===>Better yet learn programming, VB

I love the computer, excel with those cute little cells, and did I say the computer?

Now if someone could walk me thru building a computer (that would be fun Jester)

I did have a dog though (when I was 12)  His name was Sam Bo-Bo Tate--fed him peanut butter crackers. Big Grin

Unfortunately, He died in the house fire that my brothers accidentally set while looking for the dog under the bed.  The netting caught on fire--(and hey, they are much younger than me).

I got out alive with 2nd & 3rd degree burns to about 35% of my body. (But not my face, Thank God) Thus, now I don't do animals. 

True story (no pity though--please) That's what makes me the person that I am today.

(darn, i hit "post reply" while my connection was lost.... gggrrr, so here's a short version) 

Hi Kimberlee,

Get on a flight, VB is right here lol 

The last draw is the last draw, but it's a little later/earlier over here then... sometimes i catch it, sometimes i don't/can't .... 

By then it is morning over here and 2 kids jump out of their bed. Never saw mine then ofcourse.

I'm also running on empty, or at least, will be pretty soon.
                              There's one positive thing "to work", we cannot access the forum from there. In fact, anything that has the word lotto or lottery in it is af limits.
                              The negative thing "to work" is, is that i've been strumbling around there like some sort of zombie.
                              I am a programmer for a living, and while i'm doing my job, my thoughts just drift of, thinking of "yet another way" to approach those digits lol

I sometimes wonder how long a person can go on with only one to a few hours sleep a night... Bed

Like Sandy put it, (i will) get out of the "All States" thing.

G's
                              Ricky