Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 4:42 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

A question of the lottery being worth it

Topic closed. 50 replies. Last post 11 years ago by Littleoldlady.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
Member #91
January 19, 2002
11929 Posts
Posted: January 23, 2006, 2:01 pm - IP Logged

lotaloot 

From the looks of all the comments, your problem doesn't seem as bad as you think....Its early in your lottery life, (I"m in my 4th year),  I used to think that way too, I didn't bet much but I did spend alot of time thinking of the better "lottery mouse trap". I even mailed my spreeadsheets to work from home and and back again. But after awhile I settled down and found an entertaining pace,,,,I no longer get too excited or too depressed I just read the post and run through the numbers....I have learned that winning comes in spurts and if you look at my lifetime prediction stats you'll see that i am glad I dont bet on anything MM I do bet on MM but usually $5-$10 a week or draw depending on the cash flow.....  Let it go through its pace you'll settle down and in another year you'll see it differently.

United States
    Member #30538
    January 18, 2006
    14 Posts
    Posted: January 23, 2006, 5:38 pm - IP Logged

In my humble opinion, it sounds like you are a bit obsessed, but it doesn't sound like you have a problem. And I don't think there is anything wrong with being a bit obsessed with it. That's what gives you the drive and the focus to follow the numbers. If you weren't obsessed, you wouldn't be able to win money to take your family on vacation.

Presumably other people in your household who help with the finances have some say in how you spend money. But if you have some kind of agreed to discretionary budget that you can do with as you like (and your winnings can be added to your budget) then that person shouldn't be too concerned. If the complaint is that you don't spend as much time with the family as you should, I'm sure you could work that out.

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
      PA
      United States
      Member #22983
      October 6, 2005
      2226 Posts
      Posted: January 23, 2006, 8:16 pm - IP Logged

It is fine to save and invest all that money you are putting in the lottery, but only if you want to keep living the type of lifestyle you are living now. Because no amount of saving, or investing is likely to equal what a jackpot win could give you, unless you are already very rich.

Some people need to win more than others, but at the same time cannot afford play often. This is something I have always struggled with. I play more so because I NEED a big win, not because it is fun. But losing makes my situation even worse. But after a big win I would have no problem never playing again, but then again maybe then it would actually be fun even if I lost...

lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
        Redford/MI
        United States
        Member #3396
        January 18, 2004
        4867 Posts
        Posted: January 29, 2006, 8:44 am - IP Logged

Got me a new hobby Big Smile 

Re-decorating the house.

L ttaL   T

MADDOG10's avatar - smoke
          Beautiful Florida
          United States
          Member #5709
          July 18, 2004
          20110 Posts
          Posted: January 29, 2006, 8:52 am - IP Logged

Got me a new hobby Big Smile 

Re-decorating the house.

Don't know which one is more expensive...!

Good housekeeping Lottaloot...

"  When Injustice Becomes Law, Resistance Becomes Duty "

Littleoldlady's avatar - basket
            Clarksville
            United States
            Member #487
            July 15, 2002
            17638 Posts
            Posted: January 29, 2006, 9:02 am - IP Logged

I think it is the time thing..I really do.  I used to do all of that too.  But lately, I have been doing other things...getting out more..not playing much..in fact not playing at all now BUT I do check my lists only 1 day a week to see what fell off of them.  I don't really miss it that much either..I may play some next month or the month after..if I am inclined..if not well so be it.  I like people better..I love talking to people so I am doing more of that.

If you know your number is going to hit, have patience and then KILL IT!

You never know when you will get another hit.