Welcome Guest
You last visited January 22, 2017, 5:30 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Powerball Sets A New Record

Topic closed. 79 replies. Last post 11 years ago by ryanm.

Page 3 of 6
PrintE-mailLink
Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
Member #2673
November 2, 2003
497 Posts
Posted: March 2, 2006, 11:04 pm - IP Logged

The Powerball lottery set a new 2 roll record of $29.2 million for the Mar 3 draw. The previous record was $27.2 million.

The Mega Millions 2 roll record is $25 million.

Good luck,
Jake

Morrison, IL
    United States
    Member #4657
    May 13, 2004
    1884 Posts
    Posted: March 3, 2006, 2:17 pm - IP Logged

Damn, Powerball's on fire!

United States
      Member #16612
      June 2, 2005
      3493 Posts
      Posted: March 3, 2006, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

I hope PB continues to roll and set new records. PB is doing a great job increasing the odds and making it harder to win a jackpot. Only 1 ticket matched 5 numbers in the last draw and won $200K while 82 tickets matched 4 numbers and the PB and won $10K.

Morrison, IL
        United States
        Member #4657
        May 13, 2004
        1884 Posts
        Posted: March 3, 2006, 4:09 pm - IP Logged

Lucky match 4+1 winners!! Too bad for the match 5+0 winner that PB prizes other than the jackpot are fixed, and not pari-mutuel, though, or that winner would have won $877,996 (the amount actually in the match 5 prize pool based on sales for that draw). On the other hand, if prizes were pari-mutuel, each match 4+1 winner would have received only $3,264 each assuming PowerPlay is not a factor.

Canada
          Member #2673
          November 2, 2003
          497 Posts
          Posted: March 5, 2006, 9:00 am - IP Logged

The Powerball lottery set a new 3 roll record of $40.4 million for the Mar 4 draw. The previous record was $36 million.

The Mega Millions 3 roll record is $35 million.

Good luck,
          Jake

United States
            Member #16612
            June 2, 2005
            3493 Posts
            Posted: March 6, 2006, 12:47 pm - IP Logged

Jake649, not only it set a new 3 roll record, but it rolled. I'm happy for that in PB. I hope it keeps rolling until it reaches the cap again and then someone wins.

Canada
              Member #2673
              November 2, 2003
              497 Posts
              Posted: March 9, 2006, 8:49 am - IP Logged

The Powerball lottery set a new 4 roll record of $50.7 million for the Mar 8 draw. The previous record was $42 million and it was set under the old matrix

The Mega Millions 4 roll record is $43 million.

Both multistate lotteries continue to set roll records.

Good luck,
              Jake

Indiana
                United States
                Member #29196
                December 29, 2005
                280 Posts
                Posted: March 9, 2006, 9:02 am - IP Logged

It seems like Powerball is setting a new record for setting the most new records.

I really dislike this new matrix.  It seems to me aside from the occasional jackpot winner, fewer people are winning less money.  I know for a fact I am.   Powerball is doing a great job.  A great job screwing the players with their ridiculous odds and bogus jackpot amounts.

Take a game...inflate the advertised jackpot amount so the unknowing will flock to buy tickets...decrease the cash value so you can support the inflated jackpot...increase up the odds so more people will loose consistantly...and set new records every draw.

And people like this?

Jim 

Money frees you from doing things you dislike.  Since I dislike doing nearly everything, money is handy.  - Groucho Marx

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                  PA
                  United States
                  Member #22983
                  October 6, 2005
                  2226 Posts
                  Posted: March 9, 2006, 9:17 am - IP Logged

What piss poor numbers this draw. Not even a QP is hitting them. More rolls=more hype=more money for everyone but the players. I am about done with powerball for good, and will be concentrating on other games soon if I do not see some changes somewhere.

Morrison, IL
                    United States
                    Member #4657
                    May 13, 2004
                    1884 Posts
                    Posted: March 9, 2006, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

It seems like Powerball is setting a new record for setting the most new records.

I really dislike this new matrix.  It seems to me aside from the occasional jackpot winner, fewer people are winning less money.  I know for a fact I am.   Powerball is doing a great job.  A great job screwing the players with their ridiculous odds and bogus jackpot amounts.

Take a game...inflate the advertised jackpot amount so the unknowing will flock to buy tickets...decrease the cash value so you can support the inflated jackpot...increase up the odds so more people will loose consistantly...and set new records every draw.

And people like this?

Jim 

Unfortunately, that sells more tickets than having the jackpot won every third drawing like it was last year. It seems players would rather dream about winning than actually win.

However, while the increase in the matrix may be helping Powerball set new records, what it all comes down to is luck. Last year, Powerball set a record for the most jackpots awarded in one year (14), and it seems that run of luck's temporarily going the other way. Believe me, Powerball probably won't be setting any more record jackpots once North Carolina starts playing, in which case the current matrix will be more realistic for the population.

Canada
                      Member #2673
                      November 2, 2003
                      497 Posts
                      Posted: March 9, 2006, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

"Believe me, Powerball probably won't be setting any more record jackpots once North Carolina starts playing, in which case the current matrix will be more realistic for the population."

Quite the contrary. An increase of the population base of players, increases the probability of record jackpots.

Good luck,
                      Jake

Morrison, IL
                        United States
                        Member #4657
                        May 13, 2004
                        1884 Posts
                        Posted: March 9, 2006, 2:57 pm - IP Logged

It will probably increase the number of roll records, but lotto fever will probably set in earlier if there's a larger player base, as we've just seen from the recent Mega Millions run, although that one could have realistically rolled one more time.

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                          Member #2338
                          September 17, 2003
                          2063 Posts
                          Posted: March 10, 2006, 9:39 am - IP Logged

"Believe me, Powerball probably won't be setting any more record jackpots once North Carolina starts playing, in which case the current matrix will be more realistic for the population."

Quite the contrary. An increase of the population base of players, increases the probability of record jackpots.

That's the same thing some people said when they added California and it was correct. They won't even change the matrix for adding North Carolina so I would have to agree that jackpots may decline.

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
                            United States
                            Member #19651
                            August 3, 2005
                            621 Posts
                            Posted: March 10, 2006, 12:30 pm - IP Logged

NC Has 8.5 million people  that willn't push or pull much in the pool

Morrison, IL
                              United States
                              Member #4657
                              May 13, 2004
                              1884 Posts
                              Posted: March 10, 2006, 2:12 pm - IP Logged

The addition of North Carolina will push the total Powerball population to about 105 million. Powerball will still have a lower player base to combinations ratio than Mega Millions (which has a total population of 156 million).