Britons go lotto loopy for £100m Euro Millions draw

Jan 26, 2006, 9:18 am (35 comments)

Euro Millions

If one lucky player wins the Euro Millions jackpot tomorrow they will instantly become Britain's 458th richest person, alongside Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne.

According to figures from posh bankers Coutts & Co, they'll be earning around £12,300 a day in interest alone — that's £86,300 per week.

A Camelot spokeswoman said, "This is now the biggest lottery jackpot in Europe. We're in completely uncharted territory.

"We are obviously hoping for a UK winner — needless to say, there are going to be a lot of people on the edge of their seats all over Europe ahead of the draw on Friday."

The mammoth prize fund, which has rolled over 10 times since November 11, has sparked a spending frenzy in newsagents nationwide.

Ticket sales are up 600 per cent — at more than two million an hour. The excitement has spread across Europe, where the game is played in France, Spain, Austria, Belgium, Ireland, Luxembourg, Portugal and Switzerland.

Players must choose five numbers from 1-50, plus two lucky star numbers from 1-9. Picking all numbers correctly wins the jackpot.

The previous biggest winner is Dolores McNamara, 47, of Co Limerick, who won £77 million.

Mirror

Tags for this story

Other popular tags

Comments

DoubleDown

"alongside Sharon and Ozzy Osbourne"

Now that's where I want to be.....LOL

mylollipop's avatarmylollipop

An how rich is that in U.S. CurrencyAgree with stupid

fxsterling

That's a power ball jackpot of $531 million . Cash option  of $177 million cash

gocart1's avatargocart1

ok .so on fridat at 5pm i hit eruo millions then at 11pm i hit mega millions then saturday night i hit powerball, but do i still have to go to work monday ?what would the odds of that happening to me.guess i would have to throw a party for everone on here.

gocart1's avatargocart1

how would you do the odds on that ,just for laughs

gocart1's avatargocart1

any math wis kidds out there

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

"Crazy...but that's how it goes."

LOL

Chewie

An how rich is that in U.S. CurrencyAgree with stupid

Look to the left of the screen. EuroMillions is what we are talking about.

JAP69's avatarJAP69

ok .so on fridat at 5pm i hit eruo millions then at 11pm i hit mega millions then saturday night i hit powerball, but do i still have to go to work monday ?what would the odds of that happening to me.guess i would have to throw a party for everone on here.

The odds of the first 3 is one in a zillion
the odds of the 4th part is 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999

DoubleDown

LOL

Hey Just:

My fave is no more tears, but then again I am an old headbanger...Guitar

BaristaExpress's avatarBaristaExpress

DoubleDown Thumbs Up I wouldn't mind being along side them either!

LOTTOMIKE's avatarLOTTOMIKE

LOL

Hey Just:

My fave is no more tears, but then again I am an old headbanger...Guitar

same here doubledown.ozzy had some pretty good music throughout his career.randy rhoads was one of the best ever at guitar....

powerplayer's avatarpowerplayer

DoubleDown Thumbs Up I wouldn't mind being along side them either!

All I can say is I would love to be = to ozzy..Love his music. Big Blacksabbeth fan also.

Been to over 20 concerts to see him. Every ozzfest.hmm

Now the question is if I win will they have dinner with me..???

I don't usually play jackpots other then PB in CT but, before I step into trying the betslips is there any warnings I should know about?

Thanks

PP

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

As far as do I trust them, then yes. But it's probably to late to get tickets. My guess though is that they purchase the tickets from the uk national website - that way there is no physical ticket to lose.

anonymous77's avataranonymous77

Britons may not be the only ones that are excited at, and eager to buy the tickets for, the 100M pound Euro Millions jackpot. I guess EM fever has already been spread all over the Europe and possibly among serious jackpot game players all over the world.

To me, this drawing and after, until hit by someone, would be a MUST regardless of the number of tickets, since I think this high EM jackpot might never be available again in my lilfetime.

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

Well it must be hit by the 10th or it will be rolled down to the 2nd level prizes if no one wins on the 10th. According to the UK National Lottery page it should roll to a 12th drawing once every 25 years which I find hard to believe. This is also the last jackpot roll that will be able to go a little higher to a 13th roll although who knows how likely that is. I doubt it will roll today.

gocart1's avatargocart1

good luck to everone in here that played

gocart1's avatargocart1

i need to hit euro millions today ,mega millions tonight ,powerball tomorrow and new york lotto just to brake even.

gocart1's avatargocart1

then go into hiding

gocart1's avatargocart1

its going to happen in eight minutes ..4pm est

pwillans
Euromillions has now rolled over for the 11th time.  The estimated jackpot for Friday 3rd Feb. is £125,000,000  ($220,000,000).  It is certain to reach £130,000,000 ($230,000,000) due to phenomenal sales.  Euromillions only allows a maximum of 12 consecutive unwon jackpots
to be rolled over to the next draw so if nobody hits the jackpot on Fri. 10th Feb. the money will be distributed among the winners of the 5 + 1 Star tier.  13 people matched 5 + 1 today winning £450,148.03 (about $795,000).
If 1 person scoops the prize next week, they will receive the biggest lottery prize ever paid out in the world as it will be 100% tax free and there is no lump sum deduction.

Check out:  www.national-lottery.co.uk  &  www.lotto.ie  for the Irish site. 

pwillans

Correction: 13 people won £511,554.50 (about $900,000) today by matching 5 + 1 star.  Click the Prize Breakdown under the results at: www.national-lottery.co.uk

Chewie

According to figures from posh bankers Coutts & Co, they'll be earning around £12,300 a day in interest alone — that's £86,300 per week.

That equates to:  $21,812 USD a day and $153,035 USD a week,  With money like that at stake, why do people spend months (and according to atleast one thread, years) screwing around figuring out how to divide it?  Why not get it, and then make money, while trying to figure out how to divy it up?  You wait a month, and you have (potentually) lost, FOREVER, 384 thousand dollars.  If you do not think, losing 384 thousand dollars a month, due to indecision is stupid, you shouldn't be playing the lotterys.  Get the money, invest it, and do the tax thing, or the divy thing, at your leisure.  If you're too rich to care, give the money to an Animal Shelter!

shalini

good morning...its rolled again and is now 125 million.

DoubleDown

Crazy...but that 's how it goes !!

fxsterling

$15.73  win                  I never hit in mm for more then 3 bucks  I've hit 2 times this run with euro millions

justxploring's avatarjustxploring

Hmm..I think I heard that in a song. LOL 

i wish i could gain millions of pounds!!

Chewie

Try some Fish & Chips, it might help you gain those pounds.

you never know in britain.when they say they gained some pounds you wonder if they mean money or weight....

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

you never know in britain.when they say they gained some pounds you wonder if they mean money or weight....

They don't use pounds for a weight measurement in the UK. They use metric or stone but if a person has gain a couple of stones  in weight they have a serious problem.

dvdiva's avatardvdiva

That equates to:  $21,812 USD a day and $153,035 USD a week,  With money like that at stake, why do people spend months (and according to atleast one thread, years) screwing around figuring out how to divide it?  Why not get it, and then make money, while trying to figure out how to divy it up?  You wait a month, and you have (potentually) lost, FOREVER, 384 thousand dollars.  If you do not think, losing 384 thousand dollars a month, due to indecision is stupid, you shouldn't be playing the lotterys.  Get the money, invest it, and do the tax thing, or the divy thing, at your leisure.  If you're too rich to care, give the money to an Animal Shelter!

That money is small potatoes compared to a long prison sentence over tax evation if you don't take the time to set up trusts, etc before picking the ticket up. When it  comes to large sums of money it's better to try to have a cool head and take the time to do things right.

powerplayer's avatarpowerplayer

Hmm..I think I heard that in a song. LOL 

OZZY!!

OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!

THE WIZARD OF OZ..... 

OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!OZZY!!

Chewie

That money is small potatoes compared to a long prison sentence over tax evation if you don't take the time to set up trusts, etc before picking the ticket up. When it  comes to large sums of money it's better to try to have a cool head and take the time to do things right.

Tax evasion? What does that have to do with claiming the lottery?  In case you haven't figured it out, they have zero to do with each other. Z-E-R-O!  The IRS is NOT a subset of any state Lottery.  My state, New Jersey, has an obligation to withhold 25% (if you have a SSAN) - then they fade into the background when it comes to taxes. No state tax on NJ lotto winnings. 

In almost every state, it takes weeks to get the money transferred to you, after you step forward.  Why wait months to claim the money and then wait another month, or more, for the transfer?  That is not a financially sound decision.  You are willingly allowing some other entity to make money that could easily be yours.  You are aallowing them to take money out of your pocket.   That is ludicrous.  You don't owe any money to the IRS until the next tax cycle. Use that time to assemble the professionals and build your portfollio.  You don't have to sit on your thumbs and play switch; amazingly, you can actually be proactive.

Some people may have lived a sheltered life, and not realized banks handle money 24/7; sums much larger then one will ever win in a lottery.  Bank of America, Chase, etc., they all have professional people who do this sort of thing for a living.  The bank makes or looses mony based on their strategy with your money.  When multi-millions are involved, they will put their best people at your disposal.  I am 45 minutes from Lottery Headquaters, and another 45 minutes from the heart of the New York City banking industry.  That is all the time I need. That's all the professionals I need.  Atleast until well into the future, where re-evaluation should be done.

Waiting to claim the money only delays the transfer to your account.  That is a loss.  A loss is a loss, no matter how it is phrased.  Use the system, don't let the system use you.  Be decisive.   Think beyound this afternoon.  Prepare to win as willingly as you prepare to loose.   I have already documented steps for each phase of the process, including flowcharts.  I know exactly what I am going to do from the minute I see the numbers displayed on usamega,  through the following year.  I plan to win, and I plan to get as much of what I win in my possession as soon as possible; that includes bank loans and advances.   The phrase, Time IS Money was created for a reason.

gocart1's avatargocart1

your so right chewie

End of comments
Subscribe to this news story