Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 7:11 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Joke- What's the difference between

Topic closed. 57 replies. Last post 11 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
PA
United States
Member #22983
October 6, 2005
2226 Posts
Posted: March 11, 2006, 11:37 pm - IP Logged

I won't get into a religious debate, as there is little hope of changing someone else's views usually once they are deeply engraved in them. I know many people who do not believe in a God, and who are equally if not more negative and pessimistic about life.

I also know many who seem to always receive good fortune due to their Faith, and are overall happy, and successful in life and always have a positive mindset. Coincidence? Intelligence and rational thinking actually separates man from God, as it is man relying on his own thinking as opposed to letting God handle it. I also struggled with this many times in the past, and was the same way.

Of course it was a life of misery, and nothing ever made sense. But later on I just put my Faith in God and stopped trying to act like I knew everything, and stopped trying to look for rhyme or reason in everything that happened. All the hardship I went through led me to question God's existence many times. It wasn't until I had true Faith that things began to turn around. Some things in life just don't make sense, and man will never have all the answers. It is far from a perfect world, who knows why?

Man assumes that just because something cannot be "scientifically" proven that it must not exist. That is what truly is "stupid." To know all is to again know nothing...Sometimes just a change in how you think can make all the difference in life, especially when you have nothing to lose and are already very jaded, unhappy, and miserable. From such a low point the only way left is upward.

teacake58's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
    AL
    United States
    Member #29698
    January 5, 2006
    1141 Posts
    Posted: March 12, 2006, 12:19 am - IP Logged

nicely put mylollipop, todd, luckyGa3, sirbrad i'm in total agreement  i can't live without God in my life i will be praying for all. enjoyed the joke coin laughter is good for the soul

Columbia City, Indiana
      United States
      Member #2978
      December 9, 2003
      381 Posts
      Posted: March 12, 2006, 2:05 am - IP Logged

Sirbrad said:

"Intelligence and rational thinking actually separates man from God ... Man assumes that just because something cannot be "scientifically" proven that it must not exist."

Sirbrad:

Thanks for one of the most thought-provoking and well-worded posts I've ever read on this forum.

I wholeheartedly agree. For all the intelligence claimed by the scientific community and the so-called "Illuminati," one would think they would have the good sense to realize that there are things not meant to be understood by mortal man.

Science has an inherent need to explain everything we don't understand; three words you'll never hear from a scientist: "We don't know."

Conjecture spawns a hypothesis, hypotheses become theories and theories become fact under the guise of, "How else can this be explained? It's our best guess until someone comes up with a theory we like better than this one, so this is how it is. Period. End of discussion." 

In addition, "Separation of church and state" has been bastardized to mean we can't put the Ten Commandments on the courthouse lawn, that we can't allow our children to pray in school and that we, as Americans have no use for the Divine principles on which this country was founded. The term actually has nothing to do with keeping God out of the courthouses and schools.

The founding fathers were speaking specifically of the hopelessly corrupt Trinity Church when they put that clause into the the constitution, because they didn't want state (meaning elected) officials in America to be influenced by that body as they were in Britain at the time. The Trinity Church was one of the richest and most powerful entities in the western world, and used their influence to buy British lawmakers and members of Parliament and turn them into puppets. Trinity came to this country with the founding of Jamestown, and bought or otherwise claimed thousands of square miles of land in the northeast. The men who drafted the constitution were not without adequate foresight, an attribute which is sorely missed in our modern politicians, and so they attempted to preclude similar problems here by forbidding our civic leaders from attaching themselves to Trinity. It was simply another measure to protect the general population from corrupt lawmakers.

Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, et. al. envisioned a government not only different, but far removed from the oppressive tyranny which defined England in the  seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. One must remember that we were still British subjects when Jamestown was founded in 1607, and the settlement was financed by The London Company, which had very strong ties to the Trinity Church.

It seems to me that the more we turn away from our religious convictions, the closer this country comes to a complete and utter collapse. Is this a coincidence? Maybe, but by the time we know for certain, it might be too late. When a person finds that all he holds dear is suddenly taken away, for any reason, he will invariably turn to Christ. If all the criminals currently being housed and cared for at our expense (which, in most cases, far exceeds any amount they ever earned while free) had bothered to pick up a Bible before they committed their crimes, I like to believe that most of them wouldn't be there today. It's not necessarily true; it just makes me feel better to believe that.

Someone murders someone else, goes to prison and shortly thereafter is miraculously reborn to religious practices and convictions. This process has been reduced to a very precise formula. However, if prayer were allowed in school, at work, or anywhere else one might choose to pray, isn't it feasible that many potential criminals would look to Divine guidance to help work through their problems before throwing their lives away in a fit of rage or one of desperation? 

Again, maybe not, but it makes me feel better to believe that they would, so unless and until the scientists come up with a better theory, I'll hold onto this one ...

Come, Pinky; we must prepare for tomorrow night...

Jim

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
        Dump Water Florida
        United States
        Member #380
        June 5, 2002
        3106 Posts
        Posted: March 12, 2006, 2:28 am - IP Logged

mylollipop

Excellent post, but tell me, if you had all five numbers drawn of five, you wouldn't be aying an extra little prayer for that sixth number or the MM or PB number to be the one on your ticket? I think most would.

Wink 

For many lottery players it would be pointless to pray during the drawing because they are watching a tape the station took off the feed earlier or at the very best the actual draw took place ten seconds ago, but either way it's too late to be changed.  BobP

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: March 12, 2006, 3:02 am - IP Logged

"Maybe we all need to really study the book of Numbers!"

LOL - Clever, Coin Toss!  Amazing that this thread started with a joke, which was cute BTW.

I'm not going to join in this debate because I don't think praying to G-d for money is prayer at all.  I think Jim Morrison put it best when he said "You cannot petition the Lord with prayer."  Oh, I've had many days lately where I've pleaded "Oh, please get me out of this terrible mess and I'll be a good person, feed the poor, blah, blah, blah.." But in Matthew where it is written "Heal the sick, cleanse the lepers...freely ye received, freely give" I don't think it has anything to do with winning the lottery!

Okay, I change my mind. I will mention something, although since this is a lottery board, not a theology forum, I don't want to discuss my personal beliefs. In fact, I usually keep them between my Higher Power and me. I respect every person's right to believe or not believe. I don't judge people by Race or Religion.  That is why I wish people would stop telling me I need to follow his or her faith or I'm doomed.

I have no agenda here, but I just thought of and recommend this article written by Karen Horst Cobb called "No Longer A Christian"  You can Google the title or use this link:  http://www.commondreams.org/views04/1025-25.htm

Lottery Queen's avatar - Animation2
            Watch Blinking #
            United States
            Member #34411
            March 3, 2006
            11733 Posts
            Posted: March 12, 2006, 7:18 am - IP Logged

luckieStarr Hehe We have the Lottery Bible here too good numbers on there.

It's Not How Many Numbers You Post, But If You Can  Post The Right One's To Fall!

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
              Michigan
              United States
              Member #22395
              September 24, 2005
              1583 Posts
              Posted: March 12, 2006, 7:46 am - IP Logged

justxploring 

>That is why I wish people would stop telling me I need to follow his or her faith or I'm doomed.

I agree.  That is something I never understood.  People get so headstrong about it. 

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                Tennessee
                United States
                Member #7853
                October 15, 2004
                11338 Posts
                Posted: March 12, 2006, 9:50 am - IP Logged

the lottery commandments

1-thou shalt play mega millions and powerball
                2-thou shalt play pick 3,pick 4,pick5
                3-thou shalt not play computerized drawings
                4-thou shalt not play annuity only lotteries
                5-thou shalt play according to your means

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #1340
                  April 6, 2003
                  2450 Posts
                  Posted: March 12, 2006, 10:44 am - IP Logged

I think a great number of people confuse prayers with wishes, if you do that you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I don't pray for material things, because I tried that on occasion to come up dry... then you realize that's not what it is about.

Prayer (true prayer) is an enabling psychological tool that allows you to feel that you are contributing to a situation that you have no other control over. I prayed that things would go well during my wife's pregnancy and they did... we also followed along with the proper pre-natal regimen.

My grandmother always says "God helps those who help themselves", I take this to mean that it is ok to ask for the assistance of the Lord, but you must also be actively trying to solve your own problem(s). There is a joke that really sums up the theory...

one day there was a flood and a very devout catholic was on the roof of his house, determined to pray to the lord to be saved. while the water was at the level of his windows, a boat came by and wanted to rescue him. He said "The lord shall rescue me, no thanks". when the water was at the level of his roof, a helicopter flew by and lowered a ladder for him to climb. He said "The lord shall rescue me, no thanks" and he stayed put. 2 hours later he drowned. Upon entering heaven he had asked the Lord why he refused to save him... the Lord said "I sent you a boat and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                    Member #24380
                    October 21, 2005
                    623 Posts
                    Posted: March 12, 2006, 1:08 pm - IP Logged

I think a great number of people confuse prayers with wishes, if you do that you are setting yourself up for disappointment. I don't pray for material things, because I tried that on occasion to come up dry... then you realize that's not what it is about.

Prayer (true prayer) is an enabling psychological tool that allows you to feel that you are contributing to a situation that you have no other control over. I prayed that things would go well during my wife's pregnancy and they did... we also followed along with the proper pre-natal regimen.

My grandmother always says "God helps those who help themselves", I take this to mean that it is ok to ask for the assistance of the Lord, but you must also be actively trying to solve your own problem(s). There is a joke that really sums up the theory...

one day there was a flood and a very devout catholic was on the roof of his house, determined to pray to the lord to be saved. while the water was at the level of his windows, a boat came by and wanted to rescue him. He said "The lord shall rescue me, no thanks". when the water was at the level of his roof, a helicopter flew by and lowered a ladder for him to climb. He said "The lord shall rescue me, no thanks" and he stayed put. 2 hours later he drowned. Upon entering heaven he had asked the Lord why he refused to save him... the Lord said "I sent you a boat and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

Before I read to the end of your quote, I thought of that joke.  LOLAnd that is so true.  When you study the Bible, it is amazing what you LEARN and what Myths are dispelled.  For instance, consumption of wine...not banned, but told to consume in moderation---even has medicinal qualities in moderation.  Then Jesus was in attendance at a wedding where the wine ran out at the reception.  They were told (action of the individual)to do their part (go to the well and get the water) and He then turned (miracle presented as the result of their faith/prayer)the water into Wine.

Prayer is conversation/communication.  What is communicated is between you and God.  He saiad to ask, not asking amiss, and you will receive.  He compares the scenario to a parent and child.  If you, who are weak humans can have your child ask you for something, would you give your child a serpent instead of the item asked for.  Why no! So, HE who is divine will not give you something bad. 

All needs will be provided.  Just recognize when He sends it!

United States
                      Member #24380
                      October 21, 2005
                      623 Posts
                      Posted: March 12, 2006, 1:28 pm - IP Logged

mylollipop

Excellent post, but tell me, if you had all five numbers drawn of five, you wouldn't be aying an extra little prayer for that sixth number or the MM or PB number to be the one on your ticket? I think most would.

Wink 

Coin Toss, I never look at the televised drawings.  I usually, depends on work schedule, go to USAMEGA to get the results if I am up and working that night, or call the Lottery Hotline and get the results, look at the newspaper, or get back online to USAMEGA.  And that's when the pot is high too.  I am one of those winners that learn of my win a day or so later.  Coffee; now if I win over a $100, I might be more proned to check immediately...Ha, Ha....

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10354 Posts
                        Posted: March 12, 2006, 1:35 pm - IP Logged

I just adapted the joke to lottery, the actual joke is the difference between prauying in church and at teh racetrack....you know, people with money on a horse watching the race.  

Smile 

United States
                          Member #24380
                          October 21, 2005
                          623 Posts
                          Posted: March 12, 2006, 1:48 pm - IP Logged

I just adapted the joke to lottery, the actual joke is the difference between prauying in church and at teh racetrack....you know, people with money on a horse watching the race.  

Smile 

There is so much humor in life (and the Bible, the book of life) and laughter is good for the soul!  How about this Coint Toss:

What happened to the person who had prayed for and got a big win and was thinking about what they were going to do with the win?

Answer: They lost it all, no patience for procrastinators, they died that night! 

The scriptural reference.  The man who had so many treasures, they were stored in his many barns, then he was told, "Thou fool, this night, your soul is required of you...!" 

Can't you just imagine the look on that fella's face! Thud.  I also have to laugh every time about Sapphira, telling her bold lie.  Then they tell her, "The same feet that carried your husband out are coming to carry you out.  Whoa, that is just too awesome!

I laugh 'till the tears fall.  And I thank God that I can laugh at myself.  It (LAUGHTER) uplifts and heal.

Thanks to all LP's who can add laughterSun Smiley to anybody's day!Type

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
                            Member #26882
                            November 23, 2005
                            1404 Posts
                            Posted: March 12, 2006, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

I won't get into a religious debate, as there is little hope of changing someone else's views usually once they are deeply engraved in them. I know many people who do not believe in a God, and who are equally if not more negative and pessimistic about life.

I also know many who seem to always receive good fortune due to their Faith, and are overall happy, and successful in life and always have a positive mindset. Coincidence? Intelligence and rational thinking actually separates man from God, as it is man relying on his own thinking as opposed to letting God handle it. I also struggled with this many times in the past, and was the same way.

Of course it was a life of misery, and nothing ever made sense. But later on I just put my Faith in God and stopped trying to act like I knew everything, and stopped trying to look for rhyme or reason in everything that happened. All the hardship I went through led me to question God's existence many times. It wasn't until I had true Faith that things began to turn around. Some things in life just don't make sense, and man will never have all the answers. It is far from a perfect world, who knows why?

Man assumes that just because something cannot be "scientifically" proven that it must not exist. That is what truly is "stupid." To know all is to again know nothing...Sometimes just a change in how you think can make all the difference in life, especially when you have nothing to lose and are already very jaded, unhappy, and miserable. From such a low point the only way left is upward.

On This Note I Have A Good Story!

There was a teacher in front of a class of small group of Children that was trying to prove the non-existence of God because she said you can not see him so there is no God.

A Small Boy Johnny raised his hand and said: I know God exists because my mother and father, preacher and Bible told me so!

The teacher said to young Johnny, look out the window what do you See? Johnny replies: I see trees, grass, flowers, buildings and a big blue sky! The teacher then said OK look up at the sky you said you could see, and Johnny did so. Then the teacher said do you see God up in the sky and Johnny said No? The teacher said that is because there is no God. If you cannot see him then he must not exist!

Then little Susan raised her hand and asked to speak. The teacher said Yes Susan? And Susan replies:

Johnny, can you see the teacher standing in front of the class? Yes Johnny said I can see the teacher. Susan then said, Johnny can you see the teachers head? Yes I can see her head. Susan then asked can you see the teachers brain in her head? No said Johnny and Susan said well then I guess it does not exist then!!!!!

Blessings Everyone!
                              psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5124 Posts
                              Posted: March 12, 2006, 2:20 pm - IP Logged

What Prayer do you need Lucky Draw? Prayer is powerful

Can You see these Images? 

Yeah, right!  All bull-crap!  You're almighty didn't give an infected rats rear-end in the biblical days about humans, and still doesn't.  If prayer worked, the earth would be double-layered with people, and every one would have already won the lottery. Peace would prevail - not from prayer, only from anilation.  Billions of years, Katrillions of years, and prayer hasn't solved a damn thing.  The days of mythical beasts is over, your mumbo-jumbo is proven to mean nothing.  Once education came into play, and people could rationalize truth from fiction, your God went into seclusion - maybe hiding out in a cave in Akganistan.  When was the last burning bush? When was the last visit by an arc-angel, or peon-angel for that matter, with magic love potion seed from heaven?  Not since women have been allowed in schools for something other then mopping the floors.  Keep praying, it keeps the flies occupied.  Gives you something do, standing over dead soldiers who your God decided weren't worthy of life.  Flatulation serves a greater and higher purpose - with actual proven positive results.

WOW........................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go gett'um.....CT and  LQ ..............drag Chewie out of the water

and Pray for eeeeemmmmmmmmmm..............TODAY. Sorry about that "old"

Chewie.....but, you need all the help  you

can gettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt??????????

LOL

PSYKOMO