Welcome Guest
You last visited January 21, 2017, 10:35 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Protecting your numbers

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 11 years ago by LANTERN.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Visar's avatar - burning

United States
Member #41199
June 12, 2006
11 Posts
Posted: June 12, 2006, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

I am curerently running a system that tries to pick PB numbers that I see that will be highly unlikly that anyone else will pick.  I use Random and if I am just going to pick some fast I normally use the quick pick system, because I do not believe the human mind can truly pick a random sample.  

My main question becomes after you pick the numbers you normally use, do you protect your numbers and use truly random numbers so that you can decrease the chance that anyone else picks the same numbers? 

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19901 Posts
    Posted: June 12, 2006, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

I assume you're picking losing numbers like most everyone else.  Why would you assume that any  one would prefer to play your numbers rather than some of their own?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Visar's avatar - burning

United States
      Member #41199
      June 12, 2006
      11 Posts
      Posted: June 12, 2006, 7:41 pm - IP Logged

Because all drawing are independent random samples, all numbes have the same odds to appear.  Lets say I pick, 1/2/3/4/5 PB 6.  This has the same odds to comming up than any random numbers.  BUT, I cut off my upside my increasing my chances of someone else picking my same numbers, thus cuting the potential jackpot.  Yes, I could use a wheel system of picking numbers but I dont see that as giving any real advantage when it comes to net income after accounting for the costs of buying enouf tickets. 

My main reference to "protecting your numbers" would be by picking numbers that have a low probability of being picked.  

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
        mid-Ohio
        United States
        Member #9
        March 24, 2001
        19901 Posts
        Posted: June 12, 2006, 7:55 pm - IP Logged

Many LP members post the numbers they're playing on the prediction board and as far as I know none of them have had to share a jackpot yet.

Evil Looking       

Visar's avatar - burning

United States
          Member #41199
          June 12, 2006
          11 Posts
          Posted: June 12, 2006, 8:03 pm - IP Logged

I will phrase is differently then.  What can someone do to increase there upside in a lotto that is a truly random sample?  That would be to pick numbers that other are not likely to predict, because in the event of hittting a Jackpot, it would cut your upside. 

four4me's avatar - gate1
            MD
            United States
            Member #1701
            June 18, 2003
            8395 Posts
            Posted: June 12, 2006, 8:14 pm - IP Logged

I am curerently running a system that tries to pick PB numbers that I see that will be highly unlikly that anyone else will pick.  I use Random and if I am just going to pick some fast I normally use the quick pick system, because I do not believe the human mind can truly pick a random sample.  

My main question becomes after you pick the numbers you normally use, do you protect your numbers and use truly random numbers so that you can decrease the chance that anyone else picks the same numbers? 

it does not make any diference which numbers you picked. You have no way of knowing if someone else has played the same numbers or if someone else bought a guick pick with the same numbers.

But i can say without a doubt if you buy a ticket with these digits then you'll have lots of company. because many people play  numbers like these 1-2-3-4-5 ----- 10-20-30-40-50 ---- 5-10-15-20-25 and so on.

Big John says. You don't hit the number. The number hits you!!!!

I'm not Big John, I'm Four4me, Big John's a friend.
              RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
              mid-Ohio
              United States
              Member #9
              March 24, 2001
              19901 Posts
              Posted: June 12, 2006, 8:19 pm - IP Logged

I try to pick numbers that will win a jackpot, I'll deal with sharing the jackpot if and when I ever win if that's a problem.  Sharing a MegaMillions or PowerBall jackpot with another winner wouldn't be a problem for me, it beats being one of thousands of losers.

Evil Looking       

NY
                United States
                Member #16556
                June 1, 2005
                1053 Posts
                Posted: June 12, 2006, 8:41 pm - IP Logged

I try to pick numbers that will win a jackpot, I'll deal with sharing the jackpot if and when I ever win if that's a problem.  Sharing a MegaMillions or PowerBall jackpot with another winner wouldn't be a problem for me, it beats being one of thousands of losers.

and if i did win with other winners , i highly doubt the other winners were  also on this site looking at my numbers, the chances of that alone is the same as winning the jackpot Yes Nod

Visar's avatar - burning

United States
                  Member #41199
                  June 12, 2006
                  11 Posts
                  Posted: June 12, 2006, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

You dont get what I am saying still.  I am not talking about this site.  I am talking about picking numbers that have a LOW chance of someone else picking the same numbers. 

ayenowitall's avatar - rod serling4.jpg

United States
                    Member #4416
                    April 22, 2004
                    1075 Posts
                    Posted: June 12, 2006, 9:30 pm - IP Logged

Visar,

Try reading this book:

How to Win More: Strategies for Increasing a Lottery Win

by Norbert Henze and Hans Riedwyl

Copyright 1998 by A K Peters, Ltd.

ISBN 1-56881-078-4

In large part, this book adresses exactly the question you've raised in this thread. I think you'll find it a good read. The book has been discussed here at LP in the past. You might do a search for it to see if you can bring up some of those old posts, but I'd still recommend that you get the book. At least you'd be getting some straight answers to your question instead of wasting your time trying to fend off the cynics and naysayers.

Good luck,

aye'

Raven62's avatar - binary
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #17843
                      June 28, 2005
                      51178 Posts
                      Posted: June 12, 2006, 10:22 pm - IP Logged

The number of combinations in PB are so high, and the odds of you picking the correct combination are so low, that the probability of you and another player having the same winning numbers are slim. It does happen on occasion, but half-a-jackpot is still better than no jackpot at all. If you're worried about someone else playing your numbers, then you should watch out for the folks that work at the place where you place your bets. Coffee

Jake649's avatar - scene sunovermountains.jpg

Canada
                        Member #2673
                        November 2, 2003
                        497 Posts
                        Posted: June 12, 2006, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

Visar,

I understand your question and the reason for your quest. I also use the same strategy.

What I do is track the winning numbers and try to corelate the wins in respect to the expected wins. This is difficult to do for the jackpot wins but easier to do for 1, 2 and 3 number matches. I then extrapolate the information for the low number matches to the jackpot.

For example, Mega Millions in CA is great because their paramutel payouts clearly show players prefer low numbers. Therefore, one easy conclusion is to play high numbers. There are many other conclusions to be made.

Good luck,
                        Jake

Visar's avatar - burning

United States
                          Member #41199
                          June 12, 2006
                          11 Posts
                          Posted: June 12, 2006, 11:43 pm - IP Logged

Visar,

Try reading this book:

How to Win More: Strategies for Increasing a Lottery Win

by Norbert Henze and Hans Riedwyl

Copyright 1998 by A K Peters, Ltd.

ISBN 1-56881-078-4

In large part, this book adresses exactly the question you've raised in this thread. I think you'll find it a good read. The book has been discussed here at LP in the past. You might do a search for it to see if you can bring up some of those old posts, but I'd still recommend that you get the book. At least you'd be getting some straight answers to your question instead of wasting your time trying to fend off the cynics and naysayers.

Good luck,

aye'

Thx for the information. 

People get familiar with the common numbers, that being a date (would exclude all numbers 32+) and with the common 5, 10, 12, 15, and 20 (with 13 being unlucky). 
                          Now, if it can be proven that the lotto is NOT a truly random sample then I can give some credence to people who pick numbers that are “more frequent”.  I mean, even I was wondering how 20 can up 3 times (minus the last drawing). 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: June 13, 2006, 12:23 am - IP Logged

PB is currently $86 million.  I know that's not the amount of the actual cash, but even if 8 people won, that would still be a lot of money.  I don't understand why anyone would try to choose numbers based on how many others might select them.  I play to win, although of course I'd love a large jackpot. But I'd rather win 1/10 of $20 million than 100% of nothing.

BTW, what is the highest number of winners in a single PB or MM game? Has it ever been more than 5?  Even the state lottery 6/53 games rarely have more than 2 winners.

New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #21206
                              September 4, 2005
                              949 Posts
                              Posted: June 13, 2006, 2:00 pm - IP Logged

I use a similar strategy.  For many years I kept a file on certain types of lottery drawings and wrote a computer program to process them, accounting, among other things, for their frequency in drawings that resulted in higher than average numbers of winners.  No such program is infallable, since the majority of tickets sold are quick picks, but you can increase the liklihood that if your numbers come up, you will win alone.  This is called raising your expectation value.   

The effect is slight, and one could argue that the extremely long odds lotteries, Megamillions and Powerball, are very unlikely to have more than one winner.  In Powerball, for instance, the probability that the in the case that there is a winner, there will be more than one of them, does not happen until Powerball sells in a single drawing, about 183 million tickets.    This has never happened under the new matrix.  Since, California excepted, the smaller prizes are not parimutuel but are fixed, one probably accrues an even smaller advantage if one plays in this way.

You cannot increase your odds of winning in the first place, but if you play more than one ticket, there are certain ways that you can minimize your overall probability of winning.

Of course, I will never know, but there probably is an alternate universe where I didn't write such a computer program and won using a quick pick!

I do keep my numbers to myself, however.