Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Why It Is Important to Remain Anonymous.

Topic closed. 38 replies. Last post 10 years ago by lucky146.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
Member #567
August 14, 2002
484 Posts
Posted: July 12, 2006, 10:25 am - IP Logged

Most states don't even allow anonymity, but regardless of where I was at, if I ever won the lottery, I would change my phone number and leave town.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
    Member #41383
    June 16, 2006
    1969 Posts
    Posted: July 12, 2006, 11:39 am - IP Logged

I wouldn't leave town, I'd just move to a motel for a few days, have a friend check me in with his credit card so the desk clerks don't see my name, etc. 

I don't know if ticket sale agreements really work, I was wondering that myself, such as if you won the jackpot but were in the middle of a divorce and didn't want to give her half.  Problem is, if word EVER got out, she'd get half.   I would imagine when she sees her ex in a million dollar house, driving a Lamborghini, and not working, she will put her lawyer to work, checking into income taxes, etc.   I just don't think you could keep something like that a secret forever. 

iowa
      United States
      Member #32899
      February 16, 2006
      46 Posts
      Posted: July 18, 2006, 7:10 pm - IP Logged

Okay. How about this question. What if in Iowa(where I live) you bought a ticket very far from your hometown(which I have) and you just happen to have a very common name(which I do)? Just saying, if your name was, for example, Mike Jones, as long as they didn't post your address couldn't you remain relatively anonymous? And what if you legally changed your name before claiming the jackpot? I have posted a question to the Powerball press officer yesterday, but haven't gotten a response. What do the learned posters here think?

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
        Member #4877
        May 30, 2004
        5121 Posts
        Posted: July 18, 2006, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

Rundown99::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Just read a few post here & can't understand people...."would like to run"

and play "HIDE & SINK"..........................................."If they had MONEY???

First of all, if PSYKOMO hit a mega jackpot of a few million after taxes.......

I would buy a yatch and anyone would be able to find me and my"sales"

girls at the .................................................................................................

"Zihuatanejo Yatch Club" located on the Pacific Ocean in

the state of Guerrero...............................................................................

My office would be located in the back-room and would be well guared

with a staff with AAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK$$$$$$$$$$

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You would see PSYKOMO on late nite info-commercials halking, honkin

"lottery software"..............and TONKIN how I WON!!!!!!!!!!!

Note......only people who actually "purchase & use"......PSYKOMO LOTTERY SOFTWARE....will BEEEE

allowed aboarb...............the PSYKOMO YATCH.......LOL$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

PSYKOMO 

wake forest
          United States
          Member #43322
          July 18, 2006
          13 Posts
          Posted: July 19, 2006, 5:03 am - IP Logged

you are indeed my correct my friend. take it from someone who knows first hand. i did win a substantial jackpot 6 years ago.. at the time of my win, i was young, naive, and like many, thought it was the greatest thing to be featured in front of the cameras, doing news conferences. etc. in hindsite, i wish i had tried to remain a bit more inconspicuous. i lost about all my supposed friends, lost relationships with just about all my family, as they were all there with there hands out....waiting....and subsequently i had to move out of the city, and state where i won just to get away from it all.  my friends, listen to me when i tell you this, this is sound advice that this person is giving you, if you can remain anonymous, it will save you a lot of hardship, and in the end.....you dont want to wish the jackpot never happened,,,,do you? i can assure you that i am not the only one who has wondered if my life would have been better had i not been so public about my winnings. take care and think about what i say here....God bless.

lucky146's avatar - animal monkey.jpg
            ny
            United States
            Member #40152
            May 28, 2006
            77 Posts
            Posted: July 19, 2006, 2:36 pm - IP Logged

Hi nc,

If you really did win, congratulations - and sorry about your rough time. It seems like winning a jackpot is tougher than anyone would like to think. I remember reading an article about jackpot winners a while ago - someone took a poll and found that those who won were "less happy" than the losers.

If I did win now, I'd like to think I'd be more prepared to handle it than a few years ago (keep it on the DL!!!!!) in part because of what i've read here on LP.

good luck.

rundown99's avatar - cigar

United States
              Member #567
              August 14, 2002
              484 Posts
              Posted: July 24, 2006, 10:11 am - IP Logged

you are indeed my correct my friend. take it from someone who knows first hand. i did win a substantial jackpot 6 years ago.. at the time of my win, i was young, naive, and like many, thought it was the greatest thing to be featured in front of the cameras, doing news conferences. etc. in hindsite, i wish i had tried to remain a bit more inconspicuous. i lost about all my supposed friends, lost relationships with just about all my family, as they were all there with there hands out....waiting....and subsequently i had to move out of the city, and state where i won just to get away from it all.  my friends, listen to me when i tell you this, this is sound advice that this person is giving you, if you can remain anonymous, it will save you a lot of hardship, and in the end.....you dont want to wish the jackpot never happened,,,,do you? i can assure you that i am not the only one who has wondered if my life would have been better had i not been so public about my winnings. take care and think about what i say here....God bless.

Thanks for your reply nclottoplayer

I spent years reading stories of lottery winners, and I believe that anonymity is the way to go, not only for financial security but also for the protection and privacy of the winner.

Smart lottery winners form trust to claim their winnings.  They send an attorney to the lottery headquarters to claim the prize in trust, so that ONLY the name of the trust is revealed.  And they tell NO ONE, especially relatives.

If you ever win a lottery and you are single, the only person you should ever marry is someone who was truly in love with you BEFORE you won the jackpot!

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
                Member #2338
                September 17, 2003
                2063 Posts
                Posted: July 24, 2006, 5:40 pm - IP Logged

Eventually all lotteries will have to allow some degree of anonymity. It's only a matter of time before a lottery that refuses to hide the identity of a winner will get sued by the winner after a kidnapping and or murder.

States that refuse to protect the identities of large lottery winners could easily be held liable if the winner gives them a certified letter stating pre-existing dangers. Kind of like winning the lottery twice but the ticket bares a far higher price.

Lotteries could give out information about the winner in such a way that would still protect the winner. Not putting out the name of the winner or printing the name of a trust claiming the winner would be a good start. Certain precautions would have to be taken by the winner still to protect their identity. 

Of course this assumes that the winner does everything possible to hide their own identity like not holding press conferences, appearing on Oprah, etc. 

lucky146's avatar - animal monkey.jpg
                  ny
                  United States
                  Member #40152
                  May 28, 2006
                  77 Posts
                  Posted: July 24, 2006, 5:50 pm - IP Logged

test