Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

What is a 'Lottery System' Poll

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Rip Snorter.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What constitutes a 'system' for jackpot games?

Must be capable of winning more $ than losing [ 25 ]  [78.12%]
Win/loss doesn't matter. Must be complicated. [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Must compute statistics [ 2 ]  [6.25%]
Need only win once per year [ 1 ]  [3.12%]
Need only win once bi-annually [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Need only win a few times in a lifetime [ 1 ]  [3.12%]
Need never win [ 3 ]  [9.38%]
Total Valid Votes [ 32 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 7 ]  
New Mexico
United States
Member #12305
March 10, 2005
2984 Posts
Posted: July 5, 2006, 8:32 pm - IP Logged
 What is a ‘Lottery System' for Pick 5s and other jackpot games?

Words, other than slang and colloquialisms, mean what linguists, entomologists, dictionaries say they mean. 

In these times of linguistically fluid usage, however, words often outrun the linguists, entomologists and dictionaries.

On LP there's always been an unspoken, but very real competition over the meaning of the phrase, Lottery System.

What is a Lottery System?

• Many here would have us believe a lottery system is one that can accurately predict every number to come out of a given draw.
  • If it cannot perform with that accuracy, they'd tell us, it's not a system.
  • Others make distinctions involving patterns, statistics, methods, techniques, arguing this or that must be incorporated to qualify a method of selecting numbers as a ‘system'.
  • PadawanLotto's demonstrating the Expert Lotto System (?) on the LP prediction board.  He's well along toward proving that, while it hasn't won any (prediction) jackpots, properly used it can put players on the positive side of the Win/Loss equation.
  • Is Expert Lotto, (provided it continues as it's doing now,) a ‘lottery system'?
  • LottoMike uses a prediction method that frequently gives him 4 of 5 on Pick 5 games.  Is this a system?
  • RickG uses RNGs and filters to predict so accurately he stays near the top of the top 10 predictors.  Is the use of RNGs as a prediction tool a system?

From the point of view of any lottery player, what's actually needed from a lottery system?  What would it take to convince him it was a ‘system' that works?  That it was a system worth using?

My guess is that any player on LP who can use any method to win one Pick 5 jackpot a year would cease wondering whether it was a system and begin wondering how to make it pay off twice a year.

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

truecritic's avatar - PirateTreasure
    Michigan
    United States
    Member #22395
    September 24, 2005
    1583 Posts
    Posted: July 5, 2006, 9:05 pm - IP Logged

I didn't vote because I am not sure this is exactly what you are asking about.  There are two words that are used often here.  Many say system and it could be inaccurate.  Others use the word method.

The distinction between them is critical.  A system is something that follows rules - no subjective thinking.  A method is probably everything else.  With a system, everybody using it, would arrive at the same answer, using the same data.  With a method, that involves subjective decisions, people can arrive at a different answer.  Dreaming or other mystical numbers would be a method. 

All of the above choices for voting can apply to a system or a method.  But they only help to describe the system or method.  A system/method can win often or not at all - can be complicated - can make use of statistics, etc;

I agree if someone wins a jackpot, it wouldn't matter one iota how he/she got those numbers onto the winning ticket.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19829 Posts
      Posted: July 5, 2006, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Some have referred to Gail Howard software as a system, but everyone who uses it comes up with different results.  I think a lottery system can be as simple as buying a few quick-picks or complicated as analyzing past drawings and wheeling or picking combinations of hot, cold and over due numbers.  Lottery systems have been around a long time and the only persons making money with them are the ones selling them and "winning lottery system" is one of the phase they use to sell those systems.  Nobody is interested in buying a "losing lottery system" even if they don't really expect any system to win. 

Hoping a system will win more money than it cost to play is just wishful thinking because if such a system ever existed the lotteries would cease to exist.  Lotteries only pay back half of what it cost to play, only the jackpot or second prize winners ever have a chance of coming out ahead in a jackpot style lottery.  You usually only have to win the jackpot once to be ahead for life.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

bellyache's avatar - 64x64a9wg

United States
        Member #12618
        March 18, 2005
        2060 Posts
        Posted: July 5, 2006, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

I think a good sign of any system is its ability to win more money with it then lose. But I think everyones idea of a good system is different of course.

Dance like no one is watching.

Michigan
          United States
          Member #22395
          September 24, 2005
          1583 Posts
          Posted: July 5, 2006, 9:48 pm - IP Logged

RJ

I have never seen GH programs. How would entering the same data produce different results?

Of course, anyone deviating from GH rules would be creating a different system, still using her sofware - and that would produce different results for sure.

New Mexico
            United States
            Member #12305
            March 10, 2005
            2984 Posts
            Posted: July 5, 2006, 9:55 pm - IP Logged

I didn't vote because I am not sure this is exactly what you are asking about.  There are two words that are used often here.  Many say system and it could be inaccurate.  Others use the word method.

The distinction between them is critical.  A system is something that follows rules - no subjective thinking.  A method is probably everything else.  With a system, everybody using it, would arrive at the same answer, using the same data.  With a method, that involves subjective decisions, people can arrive at a different answer.  Dreaming or other mystical numbers would be a method. 

All of the above choices for voting can apply to a system or a method.  But they only help to describe the system or method.  A system/method can win often or not at all - can be complicated - can make use of statistics, etc;

I agree if someone wins a jackpot, it wouldn't matter one iota how he/she got those numbers onto the winning ticket.

Truecritic:

Thanks for the reply.

You make some interesting points.

I'd only say, ownership of the word 'system' hasn't been clearly established.  The meaning won't be nailed down on the corners by this poll, nor any thousand declarations of meaning by the users of this forum.

But when the dust settles, if it ever should, your definition and distinction might well be the one on top.

I harbor a belief that casual lottery players couldn't care less whether a 'system' gives the same results for everyone using it, however.  I suspect the overwhelming majority of players are interested only in a method of winning more than they lose, with some hope of taking a jackpot. 

Probably those same players won't be offended if a method that satisfies those distinctions is called a 'system'.

Egos don't count.

New Mexico
              United States
              Member #12305
              March 10, 2005
              2984 Posts
              Posted: July 5, 2006, 9:56 pm - IP Logged

Some have referred to Gail Howard software as a system, but everyone who uses it comes up with different results.  I think a lottery system can be as simple as buying a few quick-picks or complicated as analyzing past drawings and wheeling or picking combinations of hot, cold and over due numbers.  Lottery systems have been around a long time and the only persons making money with them are the ones selling them and "winning lottery system" is one of the phase they use to sell those systems.  Nobody is interested in buying a "losing lottery system" even if they don't really expect any system to win. 

Hoping a system will win more money than it cost to play is just wishful thinking because if such a system ever existed the lotteries would cease to exist.  Lotteries only pay back half of what it cost to play, only the jackpot or second prize winners ever have a chance of coming out ahead in a jackpot style lottery.  You usually only have to win the jackpot once to be ahead for life.

Yes, RJOH.

Thank you.

J

Egos don't count.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                mid-Ohio
                United States
                Member #9
                March 24, 2001
                19829 Posts
                Posted: July 5, 2006, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

trucritic,

I've never used GH software either, but have read the posts of LP members who claim they do.  The same can be said about those who use Steve Player systems too.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

New Mexico
                  United States
                  Member #12305
                  March 10, 2005
                  2984 Posts
                  Posted: July 5, 2006, 10:01 pm - IP Logged

I think a good sign of any system is its ability to win more money with it then lose. But I think everyones idea of a good system is different of course.

Bellyache:

I agree with you.

However, I made no mention of 'good' systems.  Mainly I was curious about the criteria players who use this forum might choose to define a system.

It appears I knew too little to add one of the factors some consider crucial to the poll.

I gather any 'system' that produced the same results for everyone using it, but which did not predict winning numbers, would still qualify as a 'lottery system' in the eyes of some.

Weird, but evidently true.

J

Egos don't count.

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                    FEMA Region V Camp #21
                    United States
                    Member #520
                    July 27, 2002
                    5699 Posts
                    Posted: July 5, 2006, 10:13 pm - IP Logged

Jack,

Here's my take on it (couldn't vote with options offered):

My idea of a system is a rule-set that allows any and every player to come up with the exact same selections every time given the same data.

A method is a similar mechanical 'approach' to that same set of data but that can lead to different conclusions.

There is strict objectivity using a system. There is some subjectivity using a method. Both are mechanical to some extent.

Random numbers (quick picks) are neither objective nor subjective but they are strictly mechanical, meaning there is no human input to the final results.

I like combining them all. But with IL Little Lotto jackpot over 700K tonight, I'm playing quick picks. I don't want to trip myself up from the chance of winning. Sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot when we deprive Lady Luck from having a chance to do her thing. (And my picks aren't that good).

But that's a whole 'nuther thread.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

New Mexico
                      United States
                      Member #12305
                      March 10, 2005
                      2984 Posts
                      Posted: July 5, 2006, 10:23 pm - IP Logged

Jack,

Here's my take on it (couldn't vote with options offered):

My idea of a system is a rule-set that allows any and every player to come up with the exact same selections every time given the same data.

A method is a similar mechanical 'approach' to that same set of data but that can lead to different conclusions.

There is strict objectivity using a system. There is some subjectivity using a method. Both are mechanical to some extent.

Random numbers (quick picks) are neither objective nor subjective but they are strictly mechanical, meaning there is no human input to the final results.

I like combining them all. But with IL Little Lotto jackpot over 700K tonight, I'm playing quick picks. I don't want to trip myself up from the chance of winning. Sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot when we deprive Lady Luck from having a chance to do her thing. (And my picks aren't that good).

But that's a whole 'nuther thread.

Thanks Rick:

Sounds as though the definition of what a Lottery System is has been solidified a lot more than I'd have imagined.

I think I'm going to have to adapt my thinking to expunge the use of the word 'system' from anything I say in the future as it pertains to lotteries.

Gracias, amigo

J

Egos don't count.

Michigan
                        United States
                        Member #22395
                        September 24, 2005
                        1583 Posts
                        Posted: July 5, 2006, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

I gather any 'system' that produced the same results for everyone using it, but which did not predict winning numbers, would still qualify as a 'lottery system' in the eyes of some.

Oh sure, many systems that I have "invented" follow that pattern.  LOL Prefixed with the word BAD (system).

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                          FEMA Region V Camp #21
                          United States
                          Member #520
                          July 27, 2002
                          5699 Posts
                          Posted: July 5, 2006, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

Jack,

I think we all interchange the two terms loosely (method vs. system). My background comes from years of horserace handicapping and their definitions.

The only difference between 'method' and 'system' is semantics. It doesn't matter when you're winning with either one.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

United States
                            Member #10720
                            January 23, 2005
                            933 Posts
                            Posted: July 5, 2006, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

A good system for smaller games like Pick 3, Pick 4 should over time win more $ than is spent playing on the same games... but for jackpot games it's different because you can win one time your whole life and justify everything spent up to then. I'd gladly use a system that missed all 6 balls every time until one time it got all 6 at once. It might lose $500 a year with nothing to show for it and then win $50 million!

New Mexico
                              United States
                              Member #12305
                              March 10, 2005
                              2984 Posts
                              Posted: July 5, 2006, 11:09 pm - IP Logged

A good system for smaller games like Pick 3, Pick 4 should over time win more $ than is spent playing on the same games... but for jackpot games it's different because you can win one time your whole life and justify everything spent up to then. I'd gladly use a system that missed all 6 balls every time until one time it got all 6 at once. It might lose $500 a year with nothing to show for it and then win $50 million!

LckyLary:

Your reasoning rhymes well with my own on Pick 5 and other JP games.  However, there's cause to believe we're using the word system incorrectly by one set of standards.

I gather a system that wins consistently isn't a system if it doesn't give everyone the same results always.

Which doesn't take anything away from the method that wins, but certainly cuts the word 'system' off at the knees and devalues it where lotteries are concerned.

Thanks for the comment.

Jack

Egos don't count.