Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 2:47 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Thanks for CalifDude

Topic closed. 48 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Todd.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
New Mexico
United States
Member #13253
April 2, 2005
40 Posts
Posted: July 22, 2006, 10:05 am - IP Logged

Todd, I'm a lurker for the most part, so you don't know me from my posts. But I follow the forums that Rip posts on because he's my friend. 
 You're just not understanding this issue at all,  or else have understood perfectly and chosen not to do anything about it, as evidenced by your desire not to hear any more about it. It's  not just Rip's concern, as is obvious by the other comments over the last two pages. And if you can't see anything insulting from an emoticon vomiting on someone, then our standards of offensiveness are different, which is okay too.
  It just didn't seem like you, which was Rip's concern. But it is you, so we all have to let it go and live with it, or without it, our choice.
 Back to lurking.

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
    Chief Bottle Washer
    New Jersey
    United States
    Member #1
    May 31, 2000
    23267 Posts
    Posted: July 22, 2006, 10:23 am - IP Logged

Jack,

What you're suggesting with the predictions page goes against its purpose.  It is -- by design -- a place where people publicly post their numbers.  People who want to test number in private do so on a spreadsheet, or something else on their individual computer.  There's no real benefit to building a web page to do that.

It's like blogging.  If people want to have a private journal, they can just fire up Microsoft Word and start typing.  They save the document on their PC.  If they want to have others see what they're writing, that's what blogs are for.  People don't start a blog so that they can keep a bunch of private notes that only they can see.

Lottery Post is a community website, and everything here is built around sharing of ideas.  I'm not really interested in building a private predictions tracker.  I'm not sure why someone would even do such a thing, when it's much easier just to build a spreadsheet.

You say, "I think a lot of members might use the predictions page more if that were a premium membership option."  A lot of people do already use the predictions page.  I don't think there is any shortage of people using it, and I do not believe that creating a private section is going to get people who post predictions in the forums (a public place) start to post them on the predictions board.

Jack, a lot of this is a Jack Purcell issue, and I don't believe you have the kind of widespread agreement on it that you think you do.  Lest you think that I am down on you for expressing yourself on this issue, let me be clear:  feel free to express yourself on this issue.  However, it is better to send me a PM when you have an issue with another member, rather than causing a stir on the public forums.

I think we should just take a break on this topic altogether, because the rhetoric about attacks and emotions and such are getting a little thick.  I'm going to lock this puppy before things get really bad, and hopefully you or anyone who has a problem with anyone else's posting style does not post additional topics that deal solely with another member's posting style, or post topics that are meant to mock their style.  Because that's exactly what this is, no matter what kind of song and dance accompanies it.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
    What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
    Help eliminate computerized drawings!

New Mexico
      United States
      Member #12305
      March 10, 2005
      2984 Posts
      Posted: July 22, 2006, 10:27 am - IP Logged

Todd, I'm a lurker for the most part, so you don't know me from my posts. But I follow the forums that Rip posts on because he's my friend. 
       You're just not understanding this issue at all,  or else have understood perfectly and chosen not to do anything about it, as evidenced by your desire not to hear any more about it. It's  not just Rip's concern, as is obvious by the other comments over the last two pages. And if you can't see anything insulting from an emoticon vomiting on someone, then our standards of offensiveness are different, which is okay too.
        It just didn't seem like you, which was Rip's concern. But it is you, so we all have to let it go and live with it, or without it, our choice.
       Back to lurking.

Hi.  Good to see you posting, though I'm sorry to see it manifest on this issue.

If the post was made to express your thoughts and concerns about LP and the subject at hand minus me it's no concern of mine.

However, if, because you and I are friends in real life, you posted it out of some intention to support me and my views, I'll be obliged if you won't do so here.

I'm no piece of this issue for the future.  I'll have no part in it.

I hope to see future comments from you about numbers and lotteries, however.  Joy to see you posting.

Best to you,

Jack

Absorb the good, ignore the bad, weigh the ugly.

It's about number behavior.

Egos don't count.

Dedicated to the memory of Big Loooser

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
        Chief Bottle Washer
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #1
        May 31, 2000
        23267 Posts
        Posted: July 22, 2006, 10:36 am - IP Logged

Back to lurking.

Thank you for posting your thoughts on this, I do appreciate it.

I would just have to differ with you, in that I do understand what Jack's concern is, but you need to understand that I disagree with his point.  And I completely disagree with this whole concept of posting mocking threads in order to continue making that point, as if somehow I or others will be swayed by it into thinking that people posting "thanks for the numbers" or "way to go!" is a bad thing.

People have been posting those kinds of messages since the very beginning six years ago.  I you don't believe me, go back and look.  Every message posted on LP is still there.

Nobody is going to agree with every decision I make, for crying out loud.  Do you expect me to come up with decisions that 43,000 people will all agree on? 

To anyone out there who wants to help me out with the difficult job of managing this site:  You can do so by giving me some slack and not challenging the tough decisions I have to make.

Check the State Lottery Report Card
        What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
        Help eliminate computerized drawings!