Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

location, location, location?

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Coin Toss.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
we;reallwinners's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
Member #12416
March 13, 2005
564 Posts
Posted: September 13, 2006, 2:04 pm - IP Logged

I'm wondering whether payouts wouldn't be something to consider when playing the lottery.

A store in my "hood" recently sold a winning Fantasy Five ticket (an easy pick) and it seems to me that buying a Fantasy Five ticket from them now would insure that I wouldn't be buying a winner.  I also wonder whether they insure a "rollover" based on ticket sales and winners?

I started watching where the winners where being paid and it seems like the lottery is "spreading the wealth", which is a good thing, but something to be aware of.

Any other observations out there regarding how they pay out on the different games.  Just an idea.........

Hiding Behind Computerbe vewyvewy quiet, WewHuntingNumbers

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10355 Posts
    Posted: September 13, 2006, 2:40 pm - IP Logged

I'm in Illinois and nowhere near Chicago, in fact we're closer to Nashville, TN than Chicago.

I've had clerks tell me that the best thing any Illinois lotery player could do is just save up and go to Chicago to pay their tickets, just pick a game and play advanced play (multiple drawings).  

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: September 13, 2006, 2:59 pm - IP Logged

I think you need to look at demographics.  For example, in Florida a very large portion of the winning tickets are in Miami-Dade county.  However, there are also millions of people living there.  Additionally, you might want to consider the areas where people work, since many players purchase tickets during their lunch hour or after finishing work.  So a big city or one with a lot of businesses might sell more tickets and, therefore, have more winners.  However, many small stores in Podunk have sold winning tickets too. I don't think there is such a thing as a lucky area or a store that pays more than another.  I do agree that I might not purchase a quickpick from a store that recently had a winner, yet many people feel just the opposite. Most of the time when a store announces that it just sold a winning ticket, people will line up to make a purchase.

I also wonder whether they insure a "rollover" based on ticket sales and winners?

Not sure what you mean.  In FL Fantasy5 doesn't rollover, but the MegaMoney and Lotto games do. I have seen jackpots won when there has been a much smaller than average amount of players.   Some people feel the states purposely roll over the jackpots to attract more players.  If the lottery is truly random, then that would be impossible.  I still don't know if the lottery is fair and random, but I'm hoping that it is. 

Regarding whether or not a store will sell more than one winning ticket within a short period, it's hard to say.  Quickpicks are generated randomly by the store machine, so what you wrote does make sense. However, I once wrote to the lottery in FL and was told that anything is possible and it's only a game of chance.  So maybe a small convenient store in a local town will sell many winning tickets and a large supermarket won't sell any at all.  I don't think anyone can respond with the definitive answer.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
        Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: September 13, 2006, 3:06 pm - IP Logged

Coin Toss - I was typing, so I didn't see your post.  That's what people tell me to do here - drive 100 miles to Miami and buy an advanced play.  I've noticed that some of the winners in Miami live in other counties.**  BTW that $337K Fant5 jackpot in Miami is still unclaimed. One more week to go....

* The gas price would be too high to bother. I think spending the $30 on more tickets in my own area would make more sense, but who knows?

we;reallwinners's avatar - praying hands.jpg

United States
          Member #12416
          March 13, 2005
          564 Posts
          Posted: September 13, 2006, 3:23 pm - IP Logged

I think you need to look at demographics.  For example, in Florida a very large portion of the winning tickets are in Miami-Dade county.  However, there are also millions of people living there.  Additionally, you might want to consider the areas where people work, since many players purchase tickets during their lunch hour or after finishing work.  So a big city or one with a lot of businesses might sell more tickets and, therefore, have more winners.  However, many small stores in Podunk have sold winning tickets too. I don't think there is such a thing as a lucky area or a store that pays more than another.  I do agree that I might not purchase a quickpick from a store that recently had a winner, yet many people feel just the opposite. Most of the time when a store announces that it just sold a winning ticket, people will line up to make a purchase.

I also wonder whether they insure a "rollover" based on ticket sales and winners?

Not sure what you mean.  In FL Fantasy5 doesn't rollover, but the MegaMoney and Lotto games do. I have seen jackpots won when there has been a much smaller than average amount of players.   Some people feel the states purposely roll over the jackpots to attract more players.  If the lottery is truly random, then that would be impossible.  I still don't know if the lottery is fair and random, but I'm hoping that it is. 

Regarding whether or not a store will sell more than one winning ticket within a short period, it's hard to say.  Quickpicks are generated randomly by the store machine, so what you wrote does make sense. However, I once wrote to the lottery in FL and was told that anything is possible and it's only a game of chance.  So maybe a small convenient store in a local town will sell many winning tickets and a large supermarket won't sell any at all.  I don't think anyone can respond with the definitive answer.

thanx for the respones.......I'm not sure what I meant either, HA!  Just thinking that the payouts may play a part on what numbers we should play....

If we are playing games that have a second and third prize that would make it worth while, or if we play the three and four digits should we be using more "long shots".......

just food for thought, I'm sure the Lottery Commission has a balance sheet and would rather not pay out too well on a drawing.  I am also sure that if ticket sales lag in an area they may be able to steer a couple winners that way.

It's all in the game.......just some thoughts.

Hiding Behind Computerbe vewyvewy quiet, WewHuntingNumbers

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
            FEMA Region V Camp #21
            United States
            Member #520
            July 27, 2002
            5699 Posts
            Posted: September 13, 2006, 3:39 pm - IP Logged

Nancy,

What you say is absolutely true.  In IL we have a lot of cities, but obviously Chicago is the biggest by a wide margin.  Most winners come from the greater metropolitan area which accounts for almost one-third of the states total population.

With regard to repeat winners from the same location...Fon Du Lac (sp?) Wisconsin has a strip known as the millionaire mile because it has sold several multi-million dollar winning  tickets, two from the same store I believe.  So there is something to location...Fon Du Lac is not a high density area and a lot of people make the pilgimage there to buy their Powerball tickets.

In my own "hood" there are some stores that sell more winners than others.  Why, I don't know but I buy my tickets there...;) 

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

United States
              Member #30470
              January 17, 2006
              10355 Posts
              Posted: September 13, 2006, 6:39 pm - IP Logged

Rick G, justxporing....

I understand about the demographics, but Rick G beat me to mentioning the "miracle mile" - it's along US 41 in Wisconsin and well, blasts any 'logic' about demographics right out the window. Naturally word about a winner gets out and people flock to those places, but the amount of jackpots won in 'miracle mile' stores is way out of proportion. 

I posted about this before, but at least for the game of Little Lotto, it seems an inrdonate amount of jackpot winners are purchased at stores calleed The White Hen Pantry (soon to beor are already 7-11's). Granted there are a lot of those stores, but there are also a lot of others peddling tickets and none even come close.

Speaking of that, I get the list of winners for Illinois Little Lotto every night, and for the number of tickets they sell you just don't see jackpot winners from grocery stores like Schnuck's and Kroger.  I think I've seen two in over three years of drawings. Subscription tickets don't seem to win jackpots either.

You would think there'd be more winners from truckstops, too, but that just doesn't seem to be the case.  

Rick G's avatar - avatar 1766.jpg
                FEMA Region V Camp #21
                United States
                Member #520
                July 27, 2002
                5699 Posts
                Posted: September 13, 2006, 6:55 pm - IP Logged

Rick G, justxporing....

I understand about the demographics, but Rick G beat me to mentioning the "miracle mile" - it's along US 41 in Wisconsin and well, blasts any 'logic' about demographics right out the window. Naturally word about a winner gets out and people flock to those places, but the amount of jackpots won in 'miracle mile' stores is way out of proportion. 

I posted about this before, but at least for the game of Little Lotto, it seems an inrdonate amount of jackpot winners are purchased at stores calleed The White Hen Pantry (soon to beor are already 7-11's). Granted there are a lot of those stores, but there are also a lot of others peddling tickets and none even come close.

Speaking of that, I get the list of winners for Illinois Little Lotto every night, and for the number of tickets they sell you just don't see jackpot winners from grocery stores like Schnuck's and Kroger.  I think I've seen two in over three years of drawings. Subscription tickets don't seem to win jackpots either.

You would think there'd be more winners from truckstops, too, but that just doesn't seem to be the case.  

Coin Toss,

You are right about White Hen.  My local one has sold several Little Lotto jackpot-winning tickets in the past.  The only reason I don't buy my tickets there is that the franchise shares the store's cut.  If I wanted them to make money off of their franchisees, I'd buy stock.

Posted 4/6:  IL Pick 3 midday and evening until they hit:  555, 347 (str8).

BILOXI, MISSISSIPPI
                  United States
                  Member #19651
                  August 3, 2005
                  621 Posts
                  Posted: September 13, 2006, 7:11 pm - IP Logged

in GA for a long time Atlanta never won fantasy 5  just small towns won    I've got  a ticket for 14 draws  got to win

weshar75's avatar - Lottery-042.jpg
                    Mcminnville, Oregon
                    United States
                    Member #3013
                    December 13, 2003
                    3056 Posts
                    Posted: September 13, 2006, 8:00 pm - IP Logged

In my adult life I have lived in three areas of Oregon and each area had winners for all lottery games.  The big games like megabucks in the years that I have played have always been spread out over the state and the three winners we had for Powerball were also spread out.  But I also knew of two stores that had luck with winners.  When I lived in Dallas, Oregon the convenient store/gas station known as "Jackpot" sold scratch-it Top prize winners periodically and had a Megabucks winner.  Then when I lived in Willamina, Oregon the corner store and Vic's tavern both had a Megabucks winner.  I am sure though places like Salem, Oregon and Portland, Oregon have winners too just on the size of their population.  The only person who I once met that was good at the lottery was this older gentleman who played Keno.  Every month I would read his name in the keno winners section and he would have several thousand dollars in winnings.  From a store in Sheridan, Oregon called T.J.'s.  The man had a system that he would only give out hints to people about.  I guess he was superstitious that it all might end if he gave out his system.  I think to this day he was blessed with lottery MOJO.  Some people have it and some people don't.-weshar75

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10355 Posts
                      Posted: September 14, 2006, 2:22 am - IP Logged

From Wikipedia, looking up "miracle mile":

South Main Street in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin, which received this name after a string of Powerball and Wisconsin Lottery winning tickets from businesses along the street in the 1990s, along with a state record $208.6 million Powerball win on August 6, 2006.

Rick G

Regarding White Hen.... I actually think that there's got to be maybe a native American tribe or some group somewhere that thinks a white hen is lucky. I'm surprised the White Hen, at least the Chicago ones, don't sell a bunch of 'lucky lotto' paraphenalia like white hen ticket scratchers, key chains, etc....

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                        Member #41383
                        June 16, 2006
                        1969 Posts
                        Posted: September 14, 2006, 2:33 am - IP Logged

In theory you may be right, in reality you are wrong, I discussed this a week ago.

A year or two ago, there were 2 winners from Wyoming (or Idaho ?), and no winners in Pennsylvania.

In theory Pennsylvania should have more winners because the population of PA is like 13 million - Philly alone is like 5 million - but the population of Wyoming (?) is like 1.8 million, so it should stand to reason more tickets are sold in PA than WY - by a large margin.

By the same token, if you live in a town of 500 people and someone wins the lottery there, what are the odds of getting a repeat winner in the same town ?   Just as good, actually.  And you already heard about the miracle mile.

Convenience stores sell more tickets because that suits the demographics of the typical lotto ticket buyer:

20 bucks in gas, a pack of smokes and a quick-pick, and you're outta there in a hurry. 

Remember - it doesn't take much to win the lottery, all you have to do is get the right numbers - no matter where you are... 

NY
                          United States
                          Member #23835
                          October 16, 2005
                          3475 Posts
                          Posted: September 14, 2006, 11:04 am - IP Logged

ran dom  [ran-duhm]  –adjective
                          1.    proceeding, made, or occurring without definite aim, reason, or pattern: the random selection of numbers.
                          2.    Statistics. of or characterizing a process of selection in which each item of a set has an equal probability of being chosen.

It's that simple. Numbers and tickets don't know where they are or where other winners were sold. In the long term the combination of demographics and randomness is likely to result in a distribution of winners that has a strong correlation with ticket sales, but the very nature of randomness is that there's no guarantee that we will ever see such a pattern. In the short term we shouldn't be surprised by anything that happens. When the odds are very high, as with games like PB and MM, you need a lot more than a few hundred winners before it qualifies as a long term trend, but the higher number of winners in areas with higher populations is a no brainer. You can pick any other category you want, and you should find some kind of correlation. Bald guys? 3% of ticket sales and 2.7% of last year's winners. Plumbers? 1.4% and 1.5%. Quick picks? 68% and 67.7%

Guesser is dead on with his last line. If you want to win all you need to do is have the wining ticket, and it won't matter where you bought it or whether or not it was quick pick. 

Sunny California
                            United States
                            Member #40295
                            May 31, 2006
                            7712 Posts
                            Posted: September 14, 2006, 12:16 pm - IP Logged

In California it seems like most of the winning tickets come from the Los Angeles area. I suppose that makes sense because the population is huge, more tickets being bought = more chances of winning. Though, here in the capitol we've had 2 major SuperLotto winners from the same liquor store! That started a media frenzy and everyone started going there to buy tickets thinking it was a "lucky" store. They haven't had a win since.

United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10355 Posts
                              Posted: September 14, 2006, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

Ok, these are the Illinois Little Lotto ( 5/39) jackpot winners thus far for September. Granted that's a Pick 5 game and the jackposts are lower, but ticket sales are ticket sales.

Anyone see any paterns here?:

LITTLE LOTTO PRIZE PAYOUTS FOR FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 01, 2006

WINNING NUMBERS: 07 - 12 - 17 - 19 - 25

PLAYER(S) MATCHING 5 OF 5 NUMBERS
                                  INCLUDING SUBSCRIPTION WINNERS:        2
                               EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:        $140,000.00

WINNING TICKET(S) WERE SOLD AT:

180513    NORTONS NOVELTY SHOP
                                          4759 W NORTH AVE
                                          CHICAGO/60639

097196    SUCH FOOD              (QP)
                                          3155 N CALIFORNIA AVE
                                          CHICAGO/60618

NUMBER OF SUBSCRIPTION WINNERS:      0

LITTLE LOTTO PRIZE PAYOUTS FOR TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 12, 2006

WINNING NUMBERS: 02 - 04 - 15 - 25 - 27

INCLUDING SUBSCRIPTION WINNERS:        1
                               EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:        $360,000.00

102074    TOBACCO MART            (QP)
                                          5717 W 95TH ST
                                          OAK LAWN/60453

___________________________________________________

LITTLE LOTTO PRIZE PAYOUTS FOR FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 08, 2006

WINNING NUMBERS: 01 - 03 - 14 - 22 - 27

EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:        $270,000.00

103309    PARKS AMOCO
                                          6350 W MONTROSE
                                           CHICAGO/60634

264713    LOCKPORT PHARMACY         (QP)
                                          944 E 9TH ST
                                          LOCKPORT/60441

___________________________________________________

LITTLE LOTTO PRIZE PAYOUTS FOR SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 03, 2006

WINNING NUMBERS: 02 - 05 - 06 - 23 - 37

EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:        $100,000.00

100908    BURBANK CITGO            (QP)
                                          5049 W 79TH ST
                                          BURBANK/60459

____________________________________________________

LITTLE LOTTO PRIZE PAYOUTS FOR SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 02, 2006

WINNING NUMBERS: 07 - 15 - 32 - 33 - 39

EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:        $100,000.00

107938    WHITE HEN PANTRY #9704      (QP)
                                          6800 W NORTH AVE
                                           CHICAGO/60707

LITTLE LOTTO PRIZE PAYOUTS FOR FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 01, 2006

WINNING NUMBERS: 07 - 12 - 17 - 19 - 25

EACH PLAYER WILL RECEIVE:        $140,000.00

180513    NORTONS NOVELTY SHOP
                                          4759 W NORTH AVE
                                          CHICAGO/60639

097196    SUCH FOOD              (QP)
                                          3155 N CALIFORNIA AVE
                                          CHICAGO/60618