Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 4:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Help! My excel system is no longer working

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 10 years ago by EXCALIBUR.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
Redford/MI
United States
Member #3396
January 18, 2004
4867 Posts
Posted: November 4, 2006, 10:59 pm - IP Logged

Don't know what I did but it is saying some sku001.cab is missing.  And when I put the CD in to reinstall Office 2003, it says that it can't be read. 

Has this ever happened to anyone? 

What can I do to resolve the problem? 

L ttaL   T

Myrtle Beach, SC
    United States
    Member #18457
    July 12, 2005
    3433 Posts
    Posted: November 4, 2006, 11:11 pm - IP Logged

Don't know what I did but it is saying some sku001.cab is missing.  And when I put the CD in to reinstall Office 2003, it says that it can't be read. 

Has this ever happened to anyone? 

What can I do to resolve the problem? 

Hey lottaloot

Go to Google Search and put in "sku001.cab" and look for the Microsoft link for the correction for this cab.

But first shut down your computer all the way and restart and try to reopen the program before the above statement.

"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it."

David Starr Jordan

S.C.'s weekly-indicative random pairs: 05, 12, 13, 16, 18, 23, 34

Enjoy

pcnut

Myrtle Beach, SC
      United States
      Member #18457
      July 12, 2005
      3433 Posts
      Posted: November 4, 2006, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

If all else fails, do a full un-install of Micrsoft Office then shut down, then restart your pc, then do a full re-install of Microsorft office.

"Wisdom is knowing what to do next, skill is knowing how to do it, and virtue is doing it."

David Starr Jordan

S.C.'s weekly-indicative random pairs: 05, 12, 13, 16, 18, 23, 34

Enjoy

pcnut

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
        Member #1987
        August 5, 2003
        8968 Posts
        Posted: November 4, 2006, 11:24 pm - IP Logged

Lottaloot, I got this info from a help page that has worked for many people, & I quote. 

change setup.ini

CDCACHE=0

Go into Registry Editor (Start, Run, "regedit"). Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software, Microsoft, Office, 11.0, Delivery. There should be only 1 directory under Delivery, which is your DownloadCode (mine was 90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9). Select that directory. On the right side of the screen, right-click on CDCache. Change the value to 0. This worked for me, but be very careful anytime you edit the system registry. Thanks for the great advice on this board.

Redford/MI
          United States
          Member #3396
          January 18, 2004
          4867 Posts
          Posted: November 4, 2006, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for the info, you guys. 

Pcnut, I can't re-install it as it now says that the cd is incorrectly formatted. 

Laverne, I tried your info.  Trying to see if it works now. 

Thanks

L ttaL   T

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
            Charlotte NC
            United States
            Member #17406
            June 18, 2005
            4053 Posts
            Posted: November 4, 2006, 11:38 pm - IP Logged

Lottaloot, I got this info from a help page that has worked for many people, & I quote. 

change setup.ini

CDCACHE=0

Go into Registry Editor (Start, Run, "regedit"). Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software, Microsoft, Office, 11.0, Delivery. There should be only 1 directory under Delivery, which is your DownloadCode (mine was 90000409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9). Select that directory. On the right side of the screen, right-click on CDCache. Change the value to 0. This worked for me, but be very careful anytime you edit the system registry. Thanks for the great advice on this board.

Lottoloot do a system restore point before you fool with your registry.  It's easy and only takes a few minutes.  You can aways go to a restore point, like if it was working yesterday. You choose the date from a calendar. That's if you have it turned on and should be.  Go to start -help and support - and search for restore point.

If you must make changes to your registry make sure you Save your registry first, in case you need to go back and get it.

takeemtothebank

Redford/MI
              United States
              Member #3396
              January 18, 2004
              4867 Posts
              Posted: November 5, 2006, 8:10 pm - IP Logged

Well I did all the above & still it is not working. 

Tenaj, I keep trying to pick a restore point back in time, but it still will not work. 

It will open, but when I insert the CD it will not install.  I can however, open up the CD & see the files inside it--but I don;t know where to go from there.

L ttaL   T

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
                Member #1987
                August 5, 2003
                8968 Posts
                Posted: November 5, 2006, 8:21 pm - IP Logged

I'm still searching for you lottaloot. I have associates who use excel, but some are not in the U.S.A., but here is something else you can try.

1. Simply go to Start > Run ([windows key]+R) type "excel /o" and excel will repair itself.

2. If still that doesn't work for you, there is a chance you will be able to start excel doing the following:

- Start excel as you normally do (the instalation program will prompt for whatever missing file)

- While having the window that asks you for the location of the missing file opened, type[windows key]+R and run the command: "excel" and the application will start, just cancel the other instalation window and voilá! you will have a runing excel

The shortcomming of this is that you have to do the procedure every time you want to open excel.

3. go to Start > Run ([windows key]+R) type "excel /?" and you will have two excel instances starting up, one will do so normally and the other one will prompt you for the missing file(s), just cancel the bad one.

Hope any of these are useful for you.

Charlotte NC
                  United States
                  Member #17406
                  June 18, 2005
                  4053 Posts
                  Posted: November 5, 2006, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

Well I did all the above & still it is not working. 

Tenaj, I keep trying to pick a restore point back in time, but it still will not work. 

It will open, but when I insert the CD it will not install.  I can however, open up the CD & see the files inside it--but I don;t know where to go from there.

What?You may need to uninstall Excel first.  Save your data files and re-install it.  It seems to be corrupt.  I belong this Exel forum http://www.excelforum.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=14  I always used them when I needed help with formulas.

There are several Exel forums out there. 

When you get it fixed, turn on Restore.  I had mine turned off one time and didn't have a point to restore.  That would have fixed it and won't have messed with your data files but if you had installed any programs you would had to do them again.  In the meantime I will try to find exactly what kind of error message it is.

takeemtothebank

Charlotte NC
                    United States
                    Member #17406
                    June 18, 2005
                    4053 Posts
                    Posted: November 5, 2006, 8:36 pm - IP Logged

It has to do with a Microsoft Office update patch.  Did you recently update XP.  Here's the website that will scan for office products updates.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/default.aspx

Click on check for Office Updates

takeemtothebank

Charlotte NC
                      United States
                      Member #17406
                      June 18, 2005
                      4053 Posts
                      Posted: November 5, 2006, 8:49 pm - IP Logged

SmileAll of this people had the same problem - they offer solutions.  Scroll down the page you can't see the it at first.

http://www.dylangreene.com/blog.asp?blogID=371

takeemtothebank

Redford/MI
                        United States
                        Member #3396
                        January 18, 2004
                        4867 Posts
                        Posted: November 5, 2006, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

Thanks guys, but I am still up poop creek without a paddle. 

Going to the site you mentioned now, tenaj.

L ttaL   T

Redford/MI
                          United States
                          Member #3396
                          January 18, 2004
                          4867 Posts
                          Posted: November 5, 2006, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

Well Tenaj, I visited the site & I feel worse than I did before. 

I read if you don't have the original CD--which my computer is basically not reading it now-- "it is bad to be you"

L ttaL   T

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
                            Member #45802
                            August 28, 2006
                            335 Posts
                            Posted: November 5, 2006, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

LL

SKU is a acronym for store keeping unit. 

This is from the what its worth department.  It sounds to me like you are suffering from a storage or memory overload.  Also if you try to re-install EXCEL or any office application and the SKU already installed does not match the CD you are trying to install it from, it just will not install.

Now I am assuming you are using XP-PRO as an operating system.  Several things you should be doing.  Insure that you are keeping up with all the updates supplied free by Microsoft, and to date there are many.  Make sure you are upgraded to the latest and greatest SP.  I believe in XP-Pro it is SP2.  If you have an Anti-virus program you should run it now.  If you have a Anti-Spyware and Anti-Adware program you should run it now.

You also can run the detect and repair program from EXCEL located under the Help Menu in the EXCEL application.  One other important thing, if you have not run Disk Defrag in a while you need to run it now.  You also need to empty the Windows Recycle Bin now in fact before running Defrag.

You need to get your system in tip top shape before doing anything that might really cause some problems. 

Please do not mess with the registry if you are not sure what you are doing.  You can really do some serious damage to the way your operating system functions.

Be careful !!

Floridian

Redford/MI
                              United States
                              Member #3396
                              January 18, 2004
                              4867 Posts
                              Posted: November 5, 2006, 10:24 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone

I managed to get in the CD & hit setup.exe & it seems to be installing...but Was I suppose to uninstall my previous office?  I don't know how to backup files & I really don't want all my hard work to go up in smoke if I uninstall. 

L ttaL   T