Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Help! My excel system is no longer working

Topic closed. 33 replies. Last post 10 years ago by EXCALIBUR.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Tenaj's avatar - michellea
Charlotte NC
United States
Member #17406
June 18, 2005
4053 Posts
Posted: November 5, 2006, 10:28 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone

I managed to get in the CD & hit setup.exe & it seems to be installing...but Was I suppose to uninstall my previous office?  I don't know how to backup files & I really don't want all my hard work to go up in smoke if I uninstall. 

BananaIf it's installing let it.  It will overwrite the old files.

takeemtothebank

floridian's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing

United States
    Member #45802
    August 28, 2006
    335 Posts
    Posted: November 5, 2006, 10:33 pm - IP Logged

BananaIf it's installing let it.  It will overwrite the old files.

T

I agree let it overwrite and it may clean up what was wrong.

Floridian

United States
      Member #45802
      August 28, 2006
      335 Posts
      Posted: November 5, 2006, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

T

I agree let it overwrite and it may clean up what was wrong.

Floridian

Also it should not effect your files it is just the application that is installing.  If you have a CD in your computer which you said you did an easy way to back-up your files is just to drag and drop them to a writable CD if you are so equipped.  Or just copy those files to a rigid floppy disk.  This is nothing fancy just a way to preserve all that hard work.

Floridian 

lottaloot's avatar - AvatarZ56
        Redford/MI
        United States
        Member #3396
        January 18, 2004
        4867 Posts
        Posted: November 5, 2006, 11:30 pm - IP Logged

Thanks all

It is repairing office as we speak.  Right now it says "waiting for cabinets to be cached to local installation source"

So hopefully when I check my computer in the morning, this will all be over. 

Wish me luck!

L ttaL   T

LAVERNE MALONEY's avatar - smallgirl

United States
          Member #1987
          August 5, 2003
          8968 Posts
          Posted: November 5, 2006, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Thanks all

It is repairing office as we speak.  Right now it says "waiting for cabinets to be cached to local installation source"

So hopefully when I check my computer in the morning, this will all be over. 

Wish me luck!

Sending good energy your way lottaloot.

Best wishes to you.Wink

Redford/MI
            United States
            Member #3396
            January 18, 2004
            4867 Posts
            Posted: November 6, 2006, 7:45 am - IP Logged

Didn't work.  It got stuck on finding Y5561401.cab.  I was able to get into the CD in order to find that cab but I don't know how to make it run.

L ttaL   T

SirMetro's avatar - center
              East of Atlanta
              United States
              Member #6191
              August 11, 2004
              1389 Posts
              Posted: November 6, 2006, 9:21 am - IP Logged

If you recently updated to Microsoft IE7, go back and UPDATE again. Go thru a FULL and complete update of the IE7.

IE7 is so full of bugs and holes, it's a shame Microsoft released it.

A coworker recently "updated" his Internet Explorer to IE7 and it bombed his system. It took several attempts and reboots to force it reinstall. Finally got it going and once we did, the rest of the software works fine.

The biggest problem now is that ALL of Microsofts software relies heavily on Internet Explorer to function correctly. If it isn't up and running correctly, nothing else will be either.

Good Luck

Sir Metro

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
                Charlotte NC
                United States
                Member #17406
                June 18, 2005
                4053 Posts
                Posted: November 6, 2006, 9:39 am - IP Logged

If you recently updated to Microsoft IE7, go back and UPDATE again. Go thru a FULL and complete update of the IE7.

IE7 is so full of bugs and holes, it's a shame Microsoft released it.

A coworker recently "updated" his Internet Explorer to IE7 and it bombed his system. It took several attempts and reboots to force it reinstall. Finally got it going and once we did, the rest of the software works fine.

The biggest problem now is that ALL of Microsofts software relies heavily on Internet Explorer to function correctly. If it isn't up and running correctly, nothing else will be either.

Good Luck

Sir Metro

UnhappyAnd the sad thing about ie7 is that you can't go back.  If you go back - a lot of stuff will not work.  I tried it.  I was like "forget this" and went back to 6.0 - NOT.  And this is the second try for Microsoft for this browser.  It was worst than that.  They had a beta version and won't let the regular people test it before it went public - only certain IT professionals. 

It had some real security issues and other issues, but they released it anyway.  The FFP is different - you have to use a password and Id.  Microsoft is known for releasing software with issues.  I had one IT person to call XP crap when it first came out - he said it stood for Extra Patches.  I wonder how Vista is doing.

takeemtothebank

United States
                  Member #41846
                  June 23, 2006
                  459 Posts
                  Posted: November 7, 2006, 11:33 am - IP Logged

LL first I scaned thru this thread quickly. May have missed a detail or two.

First backup your data.  Jump drives are ideal for this. You run a very real risk of losing it if you do not.

This is true even if you are not having problems.

I assume you are using XP operating system

Goto start

All programs

Accessories

Command prompt

Type in      chkdsk  enter

It will take 3-10 min  look at report  about center it will say # bytes in bad sectors  if this is not 0  your hard drive has a problem

You can run this command again  as chkdsk/f  and it will try to fix problems  read above about backing up data

Close this window

Now  delete excel . this may require deleting the office package.

This gets you ready to reinstall.

Check you CD

Use it as a mirror looking at the shiny side are there any scratches, finger prints ,foreign objects  (grand kids and peanut butter)

If not perfectly shiny clean gently with water & dish liquid if required  do not scrub  try to keep the top or label side dry

Inspect the top or label side. Are there any scratches?  If yes you need a new disk.

Most people do not realize the data is stored on the shiny side of the label  always protect your disks

No tape  no pencils  very careful of type ink best if none

If CD is ok proceed

Shut down any running programs  right click  and close or exit

Especially internet  . they will be back when you restart

Try reinstalling program

Hope this helps

P8

Redford/MI
                    United States
                    Member #3396
                    January 18, 2004
                    4867 Posts
                    Posted: November 7, 2006, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for responding.  Here goes nothing!

L ttaL   T

sysp34's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
                      Heroic City
                      Indonesia
                      Member #31689
                      February 2, 2006
                      1153 Posts
                      Posted: November 9, 2006, 9:09 am - IP Logged

LL first I scaned thru this thread quickly. May have missed a detail or two.

First backup your data.  Jump drives are ideal for this. You run a very real risk of losing it if you do not.

This is true even if you are not having problems.

I assume you are using XP operating system

Goto start

All programs

Accessories

Command prompt

Type in      chkdsk  enter

It will take 3-10 min  look at report  about center it will say # bytes in bad sectors  if this is not 0  your hard drive has a problem

You can run this command again  as chkdsk/f  and it will try to fix problems  read above about backing up data

Close this window

Now  delete excel . this may require deleting the office package.

This gets you ready to reinstall.

Check you CD

Use it as a mirror looking at the shiny side are there any scratches, finger prints ,foreign objects  (grand kids and peanut butter)

If not perfectly shiny clean gently with water & dish liquid if required  do not scrub  try to keep the top or label side dry

Inspect the top or label side. Are there any scratches?  If yes you need a new disk.

Most people do not realize the data is stored on the shiny side of the label  always protect your disks

No tape  no pencils  very careful of type ink best if none

If CD is ok proceed

Shut down any running programs  right click  and close or exit

Especially internet  . they will be back when you restart

Try reinstalling program

Hope this helps

P8

hi LL

if those step above doesn't solve your problem then you need to buy new CDROM/DVDROM although your current CDROM still work for some programs.

United States
                        Member #2460
                        October 7, 2003
                        766 Posts
                        Posted: November 9, 2006, 12:08 pm - IP Logged

While you might have to use a Windows operating system, you don't have to use any other of Microsoft's software if you don't want to, there are expreadsheet programs that might be Excel  compatible made by others and as to browsers, well I am finding out that both K-Meleon and FireFox are very good, now I like the newest  K-Meleon version the best of them all, now I hardly ever use FireFox and Internet Explorer, if you like lots of browsers' extensions and plug-ins then use Firefox, otherwise instead use K-Meleon, to me it's TOPS, the best of the best.

Try Open Office or some of the other many free and or almost free office suites and or spreadsheet programs.

MicroSoft? Who are they?.

There are so very many very good freeware programs that you won't often have to buy them.

Foe example take a look at the FreeWheeler, for all the money in the world you just can't buy a better filtered wheeler for the pick 3 and it is free, a close second is the Crunch 3 which in the future just might be better than the FreeWheeler unless Ricky keeps on working on it.

Most of my software is freeware and non-Microsoft.

By the way, Why depend on only one hard drive partition and when it goes KAPUT every thing goes too with it.

I have a hard drive chock-full of operating systems, it has many partitions in it and most of them hold fully operational Windows' operating systems in them  the rest are for storage of downloaded programs and files. 

When you have a big hard drive then you can do that.

I have a main partition copy and when one of the other copies goes bad for whatever reason, I copy the main copy into that particular partition and I am good to go again for that partition, it takes only about 10 minutes to copy one partition into any other one.

If in a hurry, just reboot into any other of the very many partititions they are all completely operational Windows' operating systems complete with all drivers and all other  programs needed such as lottery programs and even the latest updates.

If you want to, they can all be identical clones (copies) or they can have different applications in them, like one partition just for lottery programs other for music another for pictures and or movies another just for  text ebooks another just for games and or whatever, you can even have 2 or even 3 partitons with the very same stuff or even more of them, you can have up-to 100 fully operational Window's partitions and each of  them fully complete with any and all programs and utilities that you want to put in each of them.

Blue screen of death and or computer crashes? What is that? Viruses and Trojans? What are those? Rebulid any one of the partitions complete with all drivers and any and all programs already installed in it only a few minutes.

How is that for Pc invulnerability?

Good luck. 

EXCALIBUR is no more that "Handle" is dead, gone.
                        Maybe sometime in the future I might come back as LANTERN again, but maybe not, if I don't come back as LANTERN in the future then I won't come back at all, but as I said there is no more EXCALIBUR.

Redford/MI
                          United States
                          Member #3396
                          January 18, 2004
                          4867 Posts
                          Posted: November 9, 2006, 12:41 pm - IP Logged

Thanks everyone. 

BTW: it didn't work.  Oh well, it's not like I have to have excel, but I do like it.  And I was getting pretty good on it also.  Unhappy

I may try something else a bit later but right now, I am on to other things.  See Ya!

L ttaL   T

United States
                            Member #45802
                            August 28, 2006
                            335 Posts
                            Posted: November 9, 2006, 1:22 pm - IP Logged

While you might have to use a Windows operating system, you don't have to use any other of Microsoft's software if you don't want to, there are expreadsheet programs that might be Excel  compatible made by others and as to browsers, well I am finding out that both K-Meleon and FireFox are very good, now I like the newest  K-Meleon version the best of them all, now I hardly ever use FireFox and Internet Explorer, if you like lots of browsers' extensions and plug-ins then use Firefox, otherwise instead use K-Meleon, to me it's TOPS, the best of the best.

Try Open Office or some of the other many free and or almost free office suites and or spreadsheet programs.

MicroSoft? Who are they?.

There are so very many very good freeware programs that you won't often have to buy them.

Foe example take a look at the FreeWheeler, for all the money in the world you just can't buy a better filtered wheeler for the pick 3 and it is free, a close second is the Crunch 3 which in the future just might be better than the FreeWheeler unless Ricky keeps on working on it.

Most of my software is freeware and non-Microsoft.

By the way, Why depend on only one hard drive partition and when it goes KAPUT every thing goes too with it.

I have a hard drive chock-full of operating systems, it has many partitions in it and most of them hold fully operational Windows' operating systems in them  the rest are for storage of downloaded programs and files. 

When you have a big hard drive then you can do that.

I have a main partition copy and when one of the other copies goes bad for whatever reason, I copy the main copy into that particular partition and I am good to go again for that partition, it takes only about 10 minutes to copy one partition into any other one.

If in a hurry, just reboot into any other of the very many partititions they are all completely operational Windows' operating systems complete with all drivers and all other  programs needed such as lottery programs and even the latest updates.

If you want to, they can all be identical clones (copies) or they can have different applications in them, like one partition just for lottery programs other for music another for pictures and or movies another just for  text ebooks another just for games and or whatever, you can even have 2 or even 3 partitons with the very same stuff or even more of them, you can have up-to 100 fully operational Window's partitions and each of  them fully complete with any and all programs and utilities that you want to put in each of them.

Blue screen of death and or computer crashes? What is that? Viruses and Trojans? What are those? Rebulid any one of the partitions complete with all drivers and any and all programs already installed in it only a few minutes.

How is that for Pc invulnerability?

Good luck. 

Man!  You just do not loose a CAB file out of the blue.  I got to believe a virus has hit her system.  Of course without seeing what is happening it is really hard to guess.  However, I have been out the trouble shooting business for a while but if I had the guts I would have her subscribe to GO TO MY PC for just a month and look at her system then one could really know what gives.  I use GTMPC for access to a family member business system to help out from time to time and it seems to work pretty well.

I did have a question about FIREFOX.  I have the browser up and ready to run and have used it on occassion but I am not real fond of it.  It does squirrley things with migration of Bookmarks from IE and some other sites find hard to deal with.  However, I guess I just need to work with more and maybe I will love it.  Do you like FireFox better than IE, maybe that is a loaded question cause you will probably say anything is better than IE.

Anyway, your suggestions were very sound on the PC thing but I think she is fearful she will do more harm to her machine if she fools with it too much  more and frustration has set in.  I really understand the feeling.  You put in so much work and blam its gone.  That is why I cannot emphasize enough the consistant use of backups.  However, I am too old to be taken seriously.  I used to have clients that would freak if the keyboard hesitated once in a while.

When you start talking about hard drive partitions, most people's eyes glaze over.

I have seen not enough juice in swap files, a recycle bin so full it slowed the machine down to a crawl, defrag had never been done, no virus protection or so old it would not catch anything, and on and on.  In addition, many people have never looked at the component services and stopped some of the stuff they never use.  The PC is running wide open all the time and becomes slow and cumbersome.  Some folks in this day and age do not even have adware or spyware protection.  Microsoft out of their own mouths recently say it has gotton so bad it is virtually impossible in many cases to remove and will takes a total wipe of the drive and a start over.  I would buy a new drive before I would go to all that trouble and I would install it in minutes and have the system up and running with clean data in a heartbeat.  But I would loose everything I had saved in the process.  Backup, Backup, Backup.  Its like your automobile, you don't or at least should not run it 100,000 miles before you change the oil.  Good God, they are machines and need to be kept up.  Its that simple. 

LottoFan's avatar - nw sorc2.jpg
                              Arizona
                              United States
                              Member #4595
                              May 6, 2004
                              57 Posts
                              Posted: November 9, 2006, 5:35 pm - IP Logged

I highly recommend OpenOffice v2.X.  It's free.  OpenOffice Calc is every bit as good as Excel (in my opinion).  In fact, I think OpenOffice is superior to Microsoft Office.