Welcome Guest
You last visited December 2, 2016, 9:30 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Giving Tips.

Topic closed. 89 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 2 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Do you tip clerks after a lottery win?

Yes [ 15 ]  [20.83%]
No [ 29 ]  [40.28%]
Depends on how large the win is. [ 19 ]  [26.39%]
sometimes [ 4 ]  [5.56%]
unsure [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I didn't know I had to. [ 5 ]  [6.94%]
Total Valid Votes [ 72 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
TheTruth's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
Detroit, MI
United States
Member #43946
July 27, 2006
365 Posts
Posted: November 15, 2006, 9:59 pm - IP Logged

Sure I tip, but I don't even play in stores and If i won I wouldn't tip. Detroit lottery retailers arn't the friendliess ppl to talk to. I'm not looking for 4 start service it's just the enviroment almost anywhere you go in Detroit isn't so inviting. I play online and tip my family for providing for me before I tip anybody else.

"The happiest moment of your life will be the moment it ends...thats because it doesn't end but goes on in ways so magnificent, so full of peace - wisdom - and joy, as to make it difficult to describe  and impossible for you to comprehend"

God

Litebets27's avatar - power
    Maryland
    United States
    Member #10465
    January 14, 2005
    6065 Posts
    Posted: November 15, 2006, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

I tip every once in a while when I win $250.00 or more.

One store that I frequently play lottery at have cashiers that are all too happy to except a tip.

The store that I play at most of the time will not except tips no matter how much you insist.

litebets

Feeling,  PRICELESS!!!Banana

Come on Jackpot!!!

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
      Tennessee
      United States
      Member #7853
      October 15, 2004
      11338 Posts
      Posted: November 15, 2006, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

when i won 5,000 dollars playing 486 ten times in one draw i tipped the clerk ten bucks.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
        Zeta Reticuli Star System
        United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10344 Posts
        Posted: November 15, 2006, 10:51 pm - IP Logged

My wife hit $200 on a scratcher at a convenience store and she tipped the clerk $10.

The one pick 3 we've hit for $290, we tried to tip (grocery store) and the clerk said she couldn't accept it.

Sometimes if there's a large jackpot I play a ticket, and then play it again for the clerk- so someone else is 'rooting for' the same numbers! -  did that once in Indiana on Powerball, hit 4 of 6 so we both won $110 - not a bad tip for a buck!

Wink

JackpotWanna's avatar - squiz

United States
          Member #4121
          March 23, 2004
          817 Posts
          Posted: November 15, 2006, 11:42 pm - IP Logged

My wife hit $200 on a scratcher at a convenience store and she tipped the clerk $10.

The one pick 3 we've hit for $290, we tried to tip (grocery store) and the clerk said she couldn't accept it.

Sometimes if there's a large jackpot I play a ticket, and then play it again for the clerk- so someone else is 'rooting for' the same numbers! -  did that once in Indiana on Powerball, hit 4 of 6 so we both won $110 - not a bad tip for a buck!

Wink

That would been the best tip in the world if you both won the powerball. I bet you she would have tipped you back big time.

Party

dvdiva's avatar - 8ball

United States
            Member #2338
            September 17, 2003
            2063 Posts
            Posted: November 16, 2006, 2:33 am - IP Logged

I have decided to keep things simple and just not win. This way any issues of tipping become irrelevant.

I think the only way I would tip would be if the clerk corrects a mistake or somehow creates a winning mistake ticket. Other than that they are just doing their job.

If the clerk sells cigarettes to someone and they get cancer is the clerk responsible for that? Or someone buying a bottle of hard alcohol sober and then getting drunk and killing someone?  If I pick the right numbers for once and pay for the ticket out of my meager wages why would the clerk then be entiled to my good fortune but not the misfortune they also could create.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: November 16, 2006, 7:28 am - IP Logged

I am so glad to be living down South in Southern TN.. Seems like there are a lot of hateful people else where...  I am so amazed at all the people who complain about hateful clerks... etc in other states. 

My life just became a little richer.. hard to believe.. but true..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                Ohio
                United States
                Member #46493
                September 11, 2006
                4173 Posts
                Posted: November 16, 2006, 8:24 am - IP Logged

I haven't won in the store yet, but honestly, if I hadn't read this thread first, it wouldn't even occur to me to tip the clerk.  I'm not stengy with money, but it's just one of those things that I wouldn't have even thought about doing. 

Keep it simple 

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
                  Florida
                  United States
                  Member #6147
                  August 8, 2004
                  1396 Posts
                  Posted: November 16, 2006, 9:14 am - IP Logged

I voted nada.  I do not tip clerks.

Party

I play online now, but when I was playing in the stores, no, never tipped.

Stavros

TheTruth's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                    Detroit, MI
                    United States
                    Member #43946
                    July 27, 2006
                    365 Posts
                    Posted: November 16, 2006, 9:23 am - IP Logged

I have decided to keep things simple and just not win. This way any issues of tipping become irrelevant.

I think the only way I would tip would be if the clerk corrects a mistake or somehow creates a winning mistake ticket. Other than that they are just doing their job.

If the clerk sells cigarettes to someone and they get cancer is the clerk responsible for that? Or someone buying a bottle of hard alcohol sober and then getting drunk and killing someone?  If I pick the right numbers for once and pay for the ticket out of my meager wages why would the clerk then be entiled to my good fortune but not the misfortune they also could create.

To set the record straight dvdiva

People go out and buy, cigarettes, booze, and liquor themselves. The clerk dosn't come knocking on peoples door with a sales pitch to sell people those things. People create their own misfortune, it's not the fault of the people that surround them, it is their own ignorance that guides them. If a clerk sales you winner with a sizeable amount, I say a tip is only the courteous thing to do. Yet to place blame on someone elses shoulders is, for lack of better words at this time, just flat out stupid.

Not an attack on you, just making a point here 

"The happiest moment of your life will be the moment it ends...thats because it doesn't end but goes on in ways so magnificent, so full of peace - wisdom - and joy, as to make it difficult to describe  and impossible for you to comprehend"

God

freeport bahamas
                      Bahamas
                      Member #46427
                      September 10, 2006
                      63 Posts
                      Posted: November 16, 2006, 9:35 pm - IP Logged

hey out here in the islands most people do tip because we use another set up, we use  books , so the bookie who writes your numbers is responsible for collecting your money and bringing it to you , so if you look at collecting your money ,making sure its all there, and delivering it to you hey why not ,he/she is hustling just like me so , hey nothings wrong with tipping ,years back i won $8OOO, so i tipped the bookie  $500 , we both had a good day,  and by  the way out here most houses pay  $800 for the pick 3 and  $4000 for the pick 4,  ,  ??? this is how we players role,,,,,

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
                        Harbinger
                        D.C./MD.
                        United States
                        Member #44103
                        July 30, 2006
                        5583 Posts
                        Posted: November 16, 2006, 9:57 pm - IP Logged

I am so glad to be living down South in Southern TN.. Seems like there are a lot of hateful people else where...  I am so amazed at all the people who complain about hateful clerks... etc in other states. 

I live just north of the mason dixon line and also don't get the animosity with clerks.  I agree there are incorrigibles out there but they are small percentage.  In any sample of people, clerks, waiters, repairmen, police, doctors, govt. workers, etc. there are jerkys but most are normal.  I figure, if you are polite,  it usually gets returned, if not, no biggie.  There are people who carry a chip on their shoulders, it never gets them far, and they can't figure it out. Lighthen up, be grateful for everyday, that you have, believe in people, look them in the eyes when you talk to them, and they'll come around hopefully.  LOL jarasanUS Flag

freeport bahamas
                          Bahamas
                          Member #46427
                          September 10, 2006
                          63 Posts
                          Posted: November 16, 2006, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

hey its called shareing the joy, you know like :wheres the love man , hey i won a lump sum now here you go get yours ,Banana

CCHS13's avatar - chi jpeg.jpg
                            Illinois
                            United States
                            Member #46704
                            September 23, 2006
                            3692 Posts
                            Posted: November 16, 2006, 10:40 pm - IP Logged

That southern hospitality holds true most of the time,  up north

you get very little of that

Men Lie Women Lie Numbers Dont

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                              mid-Ohio
                              United States
                              Member #9
                              March 24, 2001
                              19816 Posts
                              Posted: November 16, 2006, 10:49 pm - IP Logged

I buy most of my lottery tickets at gas stations, the clerks don't expect a tip when I get a $60 fill-up, why would they expect one just because I have $5 left for some lottery tickets?

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking