Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 11:05 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Giving Tips.

Topic closed. 89 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 6 of 6
PrintE-mailLink

Do you tip clerks after a lottery win?

Yes [ 15 ]  [20.83%]
No [ 29 ]  [40.28%]
Depends on how large the win is. [ 19 ]  [26.39%]
sometimes [ 4 ]  [5.56%]
unsure [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
I didn't know I had to. [ 5 ]  [6.94%]
Total Valid Votes [ 72 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
Member #5344
June 30, 2004
23641 Posts
Posted: November 19, 2006, 4:30 pm - IP Logged

Here is the thing about what you are saying.  When you go into a store that sells lottery just like in the game of baseball the pitcher is trying to get you out.  But if you are coaching the players into playing one ticket over another you are throwing the game. IE Kenny Rogers and his "Dirt" which we all know was pine tar on his hand.  At the point of sell like it or not you are giving your tippers an unfair advantage over the rest of the lottery players and why?  Well because it benefits you.  Bottom line is you are looking out for you and you are throw a wrench in the game.  It is plain to see and you can candy coat or excuse it all you want but pine tar is not "Dirt".  I think if I was working a clerks job I would probably do the same thing because you are probably not making that much.  But it still does not avoid the truth and that is you are cheating in my opinion.-weshar75

LudricousUnhappy

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: November 19, 2006, 4:31 pm - IP Logged

Sorry, you haven't comprehended the full post. I suggest you go back and reread it. 

I fully understand everything you have said, and then re-said, and then said differently. If I didn't understand, I would be the only one with a problem with what you are doing. I am not...

Find some other poster who has and have them to help you if needed.

But isn't that suppose to be your skill, to make people understand that have a difficult time with comprehension? Then again, are you really the teacher, or just part of the class?

You have to have something to work with...

Bryan's avatar - Lottery-002.jpg
      Mid-Missouri
      United States
      Member #644
      August 31, 2002
      4271 Posts
      Posted: November 19, 2006, 4:39 pm - IP Logged

You have to have something to work with...

My point exactly....that is why all these people trying to explain something to you is a moot point...Do we have any other Special Ed. teachers in the house? Sure could use your skills here...

I've tried, I'm done...

Bryan  :)

Tenaj's avatar - michellea
        Charlotte NC
        United States
        Member #17406
        June 18, 2005
        4053 Posts
        Posted: November 19, 2006, 4:52 pm - IP Logged

My point exactly....that is why all these people trying to explain something to you is a moot point...Do we have any other Special Ed. teachers in the house? Sure could use your skills here...

I've tried, I'm done...

Bryan  :)

ROFL

takeemtothebank

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19825 Posts
          Posted: November 19, 2006, 6:48 pm - IP Logged

Most everyone who come to LP are looking for a tip that might give them an edge.  Some even claim to be winning more because of what they've learned but I wouldn't call that cheating.

If a clerk can tell when a roll of scarch-offs might be due to payout a big prize then the lottery isn't doing a good job of printing the winning tickets in a random fashion.  I doubt is a clerk would have that kind of information and still be working as a clerk instead of the owner.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: November 19, 2006, 7:38 pm - IP Logged

At my favorite store, The cashiers that know me will tell me if there has been a significant hit on a particular game.

I see nothing wrong with that.

They do not steer me anywhere , even though I do tip from time to time.

I have certain games I like to play and I will buy them anyway.

DD

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: November 19, 2006, 8:47 pm - IP Logged

At my favorite store, The cashiers that know me will tell me if there has been a significant hit on a particular game.

I see nothing wrong with that.

They do not steer me anywhere , even though I do tip from time to time.

I have certain games I like to play and I will buy them anyway.

DD

Same goes for our regulars.

Funny how some people get beat up and out of shape because I get tips doing my job and having friends with my customers.

United States
                Member #5344
                June 30, 2004
                23641 Posts
                Posted: November 19, 2006, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

You forgot these nuggets too.

She is already telling him/her that this happens to them because they don't tip and then she says that like she is condoning what they did.  Not necessary.

She also said this...

"I wouldn't tell them to play a one roll or the other.. That would be wrong.  However, I wouldn't tell them where I think a winner is , when I know that a regular may come in behind them.. That would be stupid on my part."

So, do you think for a minute if someone she knows (a tipper) is standing behind the person at the counter she wouldn't try to send him/her (non-tipper) in the wrong direction.  (I have the customers to pick their own tickets..)

Yeah, I believe that too. LOL 

Tntea, What you are doing is simply wrong. You are basically scalping tickets. (this is crazy)  Apparently you have painted a picture of how you see it in your mind.. 

As long as you get your cut all is right with the world and if you think for a moment the lottery commission wouldn't frown on that then you would be sadly mistaken...

You are expecting a tip because you point your finger and go "Play that one". Oh, you won, now pay me! (Not necessarily...  The regulars tip regardless win or lose, when I spend hours with them)

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                  Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #46493
                  September 11, 2006
                  4173 Posts
                  Posted: November 20, 2006, 1:38 am - IP Logged

I don't see a problem with giving tips.  Just because certain tickets are hitting doesn't mean that the next one is going to be a winner for the customer.

Any lottery player in Ohio can get on the Ohio Lottery web site, go the "scratch offs" section, and it will give a list of every scratch off currently being sold, and give detailed information of each ticket... how many were printed, how many of a certain prize were won, how many tickets of each prize there are, how many of a certain prize is remaining.  The lottery system in your state WANTS you to win.  Why?  The lottery generates money... when you win you'll play again. When you lose, you'll still play again.  It shouldn't matter if the store clerk is giving you the information or the state lottery system is giving the information. 

Keep it simple 

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: November 20, 2006, 8:45 am - IP Logged

I don't see a problem with giving tips.  Just because certain tickets are hitting doesn't mean that the next one is going to be a winner for the customer.

Any lottery player in Ohio can get on the Ohio Lottery web site, go the "scratch offs" section, and it will give a list of every scratch off currently being sold, and give detailed information of each ticket... how many were printed, how many of a certain prize were won, how many tickets of each prize there are, how many of a certain prize is remaining.  The lottery system in your state WANTS you to win.  Why?  The lottery generates money... when you win you'll play again. When you lose, you'll still play again.  It shouldn't matter if the store clerk is giving you the information or the state lottery system is giving the information. 

Bingo.. You win the Jackpot..

cnchsound's avatar - scenery water_mountains.jpg
                      Nassau
                      Bahamas
                      Member #25282
                      November 4, 2005
                      2787 Posts
                      Posted: November 20, 2006, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

When I bought my tickets from clerks yes I tipped them. Now we have our own version of on line where we open an account and purchase tickets. Winnings are placed in an ATM machine from which you draw them.

Cnchsound

To be loved, be lovable.            Ovid.

United States
                        Member #5344
                        June 30, 2004
                        23641 Posts
                        Posted: November 22, 2006, 11:32 am - IP Logged

WOW, another clerk asked me for a tip if I win big.  What's up with these clerks? 

I always buy from one store and cash in another so they don't know if I won.

Last week I hit $500.  No clerk getting my moola.

Party

It is probably part of conversation and means  nothing to the clerks.. After selling as many as they do , they hear lots of stories..

*if I win I will buy you a car.. (I hear this all the time.. )  I dont want a car.. lol  I have 30...

*if I win we will take a long trip.. (I hear this a  lot too.. )  I am not going anywhere with a stranger.. regardless how much he/she has

*if I win I will give you X amount of dollars.. (This I hear.. )  I come back with a nice breakfast would do just as well..

The dream tickets have people saying most anything...  and it is fun to hear what the customer will come up with if asked...

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
                          Tennessee
                          United States
                          Member #7853
                          October 15, 2004
                          11338 Posts
                          Posted: November 22, 2006, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

smooth refreshing sodas wash down tasty treats!!

United States
                            Member #5344
                            June 30, 2004
                            23641 Posts
                            Posted: November 22, 2006, 7:53 pm - IP Logged

smooth refreshing sodas wash down tasty treats!!

Glad you enjoyed them...

Have a Happy One... Turkey

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                              Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: November 24, 2006, 3:56 am - IP Logged

Disagree!  I won't go back to a store if the clerk asks me to share.  The people in Publix never ask. In fact, many times I've offered to tip people who help me when they are doing their jobs and they decline. I've always been a good tipper (20% or more) at restaurants. When I was in better financial shape, I gave to several charities every month. But in my whole life I never tipped a clerk working in a convenient store.

One thing I don't understand is how anyone can really offer advice or information on a scratch ticket or any lottery game that is fair and random.  Just because one game has been in a slump and there aren't many big prizes left, doesn't mean the next ticket bought won't produce a winner.  Everything you are saying indicates to me that the lottery isn't all it's cracked up to be and I think the state would look at your comments with a jaundiced eye.