Welcome Guest
You last visited December 3, 2016, 6:31 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you won a jackpot where in the world would you choose to live?

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10344 Posts
Posted: February 1, 2007, 6:06 pm - IP Logged

I'm just wondering, since the discussion is if you hit a jackpot, would the cost of living still be as much of a factor?

Think about it.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

Sunny California
    United States
    Member #40295
    May 31, 2006
    7712 Posts
    Posted: February 1, 2007, 6:22 pm - IP Logged

I'm just wondering, since the discussion is if you hit a jackpot, would the cost of living still be as much of a factor?

Think about it.  

I would think so,CoinToss. No matter where you choose to live or what you choose to buy the word "UPKEEP" always comes to my mind. Some sort of budget will always have to be in place if you are expecting these "millions" to last through the rest of your life. Inflation also would have to be taken into consideration. A million dollars isn't what it used to be. And in Monterey,it CERTAINLY isn't what it used to be,heehee.

Blackie's avatar - Norfolk 20Sunrise%20Nov%2016.jpg
      Norfolk , Va
      United States
      Member #4541
      May 2, 2004
      25088 Posts
      Posted: February 1, 2007, 6:38 pm - IP Logged

I would continue to live here where I am..

I would continue to work as a teacher.  Although I had rather open up my own private school. Free to those who qualify.

I like the private school thing Tntea. Athough one would have to qualify, I can remember struggling to keep my daughter where she is. The cost there is $750 a month which to me is an outrage. I was put out of work for 2 yrs when my leg was shattered and times were hard. I think it is a great idea. Many people just cant afford what it cost for a private school and some are like me. Temporarily unable to pay for it.

Good Luck,

Blackie.                           

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: February 2, 2007, 12:06 am - IP Logged

Think about it.  

I suppose it depends on what you mean by cost of living. Te way I see it, that includes the incometaxes you'd pay. I really like the area that I'm in, but there are a lot of nice areas that are cheaper. The paradoxical thing about having a high income is that you can afford to  live where it's more expensive, but your high income may be related to the high cost of living.

The other paradox is taxes, and that's probably the main reason I'd move.  For a modest jackpot that resulted in a comfortable but modest income I'd have to see what the actual income taxes would be, but even a savings of 2 or 3 grand a year would be significant on a pre-tax income of 100 grand. If I could have an income of a million bucks I'd probably move to northeastern Pennsylvania as my primary residence. That would probably reduce my income taxes by something over 30 grand, which would pay for a couple of very nice vacations each year. For a sizable win a friend and I have an agreement to get a vacation place in Kentucky, maybe just down the road from tiggs95. I'd also think about a place here: www.ditleffpoint.com

Georgia
          United States
          Member #49384
          January 29, 2007
          113 Posts
          Posted: February 2, 2007, 12:09 am - IP Logged

I don't much care for the humidity here in South Georgia, so I would see myself moving back home to the Appalachians of North Carolina or Alabama.

Entertaiment Capital
            United States
            Member #37800
            April 19, 2006
            302 Posts
            Posted: February 2, 2007, 1:31 am - IP Logged

I'd move back to Silicon Valley. Palo Alto is a very nice place to live. Also, Marin County, CA can be really nice.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: February 2, 2007, 2:24 am - IP Logged

Think about it.  

Yes. But this is referring to a mega jackpot, right?  It's hard to believe, but many people in Hollywood make $20 million and more every year.  So if you wanted to party with the in-crowd, it would cost a lot to keep up with them. Not my style however.

To answer your first question - Asheville is one consideration, but probably a little bit out of the city like Fairview or Weaverville.  Flat Rock looks really nice which is near Hendersonville. There is also an area called Ashe County, but it's a bit isolated.  The Lake Lure area is also gorgeous (and very expensive)   Austin looks interesting.  Property tax is very high however.  Areas in the Texas hill country like Leander, just north of Austin, look very nice.  To tell ya the truth, I could probably live just about anywhere that's pretty, safe & quiet as long as I have my computer, broadband, and a nice widescreen TV, some books and a couple of dogs.   I'm a recluse! 

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
                Member #15309
                May 13, 2005
                307 Posts
                Posted: February 3, 2007, 3:02 pm - IP Logged

No particular place.  I'll travel the world.  But I'll keep my old homes just to keep me well-grounded. 

I'll get a compact and well-equipped RV so I can take my 2 dogs and 1 cat travelling with me.  Maybe explore the high deserts, look for fossils, climb some mountains, explore some caves, and rivers, and lakes... 

And I can do all these, without me worrying that I have to go back to work next day, worrying about deadlines, payroll, etc., etc.

Sun Smiley             

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                  Pennsylvania
                  United States
                  Member #1340
                  April 6, 2003
                  2450 Posts
                  Posted: February 3, 2007, 3:33 pm - IP Logged

I would leave the keystone state far behind in favor of one of those $1,000,000 to $3,000,000 Oceanfront homes (the ones on wooden columns) on South Carolina's northern coast (a few miles south of Myrtle Beach and all the condos). Maybe Surfside Beach or Garden City Beach.

One room set aside for the recording studio, and a little shack out back for the surfboards & Golf clubs. I want my backyard to be the Atlantic ocean ;-)

I'd dive into the local music scene (no shortage of venues) and try to cook up a punk/reggae/beach band... kind of like Sublime meets the Beach Boys...

Then some serious Fairfield Resort timeshare points to see the rest of the country and eventually the world. Maybe even an RV.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

tula's avatar - cold
                    smithfield n.c.
                    United States
                    Member #22632
                    September 29, 2005
                    1 Posts
                    Posted: February 3, 2007, 11:57 pm - IP Logged

no where anyone knows my name.........many places to chose just waiting on the win

tula

Jester LaughΤutu

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: February 4, 2007, 1:18 am - IP Logged

We always say the most expensive places on earth....

I'd stay right where I am, an 'expensive' house here is around $350,000 (4,500 sq foot, 3 car garage, etc.), so I would upgrade slightly, but as far as moving/travel, here's what I would do: I'd have a decent minivan, or a SMALL RV, and I'd go places and stay a few months' at a time in those 'extended stay' business motels. 

Why ? 

Because you can stay as long as you want, they are better than an expensive hotels/motels, and you can investigate the area for a week, 2 weeks, a month, or longer, then move on to another area and do the same thing again, 3-4 times a year or more. I guess it depends on how much money you have, and how much you want to allocate to do this, but I would not go buying 'summer homes' or 'winter homes', or 'ski chateaus', etc. 

dingo's avatar - lottery of-birth.jpg
                        San Jose, California
                        United States
                        Member #42003
                        June 26, 2006
                        206 Posts
                        Posted: February 5, 2007, 4:33 am - IP Logged

The Bay Area of CA. Redwood City and Belmont are what I have in mind.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                          Member #4877
                          May 30, 2004
                          5114 Posts
                          Posted: February 5, 2007, 8:24 pm - IP Logged

no where anyone knows my name.........many places to chose just waiting on the win

tula

I>>>>>THINK YOU.......answered the "Q"........tula!!!

JUST>>>KEEP ON....................TRY'nnnnnnn  ToDAYs the DAY!!!!!!!!

LOL

PSYKOMOPartyPartyJack-

POT$$$$$$$$$$$

Honduras
                            Member #20982
                            August 29, 2005
                            4715 Posts
                            Posted: February 5, 2007, 8:56 pm - IP Logged

I'll be tiger wood's second neighboor...

Brazil & Panama now that the world cup is comming to that country...and finish learning portuguese...I think i will have a second home somewhere in Africa...But i honestly think i will use all that money to influence governments around the world into putting easy lotteries..LOtteries like WVa cash25 and 5/25, 4/25, pick2, pick4 but from 0-7, i'll research and try to introduce an innovative idea of a lottery that becomes like a small version of the stock market for common (the lowest class) people, a pick5 with some balls been bigger and the same weight and others been small and the same weight, etc, etc, etc...but i'll have to make my money multiply...so probably even thought i'll like i don't see myself living in other countries except brazil and Panama...

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5114 Posts
                              Posted: February 5, 2007, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

I'll be tiger wood's second neighboor...

Brazil & Panama now that the world cup is comming to that country...and finish learning portuguese...I think i will have a second home somewhere in Africa...But i honestly think i will use all that money to influence governments around the world into putting easy lotteries..LOtteries like WVa cash25 and 5/25, 4/25, pick2, pick4 but from 0-7, i'll research and try to introduce an innovative idea of a lottery that becomes like a small version of the stock market for common (the lowest class) people, a pick5 with some balls been bigger and the same weight and others been small and the same weight, etc, etc, etc...but i'll have to make my money multiply...so probably even thought i'll like i don't see myself living in other countries except brazil and Panama...

pumpi76..........I Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              I Agree! GoooooooooooooooooGooooooooooooooooTIGER!!

PukePukePukePartyBananaBananaBanana