Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 4:15 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

if you won a jackpot where in the world would you choose to live?

Topic closed. 45 replies. Last post 10 years ago by LOTTOMIKE.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: February 5, 2007, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

I'll be tiger wood's second neighboor...

Brazil & Panama now that the world cup is comming to that country...and finish learning portuguese...I think i will have a second home somewhere in Africa...But i honestly think i will use all that money to influence governments around the world into putting easy lotteries..LOtteries like WVa cash25 and 5/25, 4/25, pick2, pick4 but from 0-7, i'll research and try to introduce an innovative idea of a lottery that becomes like a small version of the stock market for common (the lowest class) people, a pick5 with some balls been bigger and the same weight and others been small and the same weight, etc, etc, etc...but i'll have to make my money multiply...so probably even thought i'll like i don't see myself living in other countries except brazil and Panama...

You probably could not afford to be Tiger's neighbor unless you TOOK HOME about 100 million, didn't his place alone cost like 20 million ?

PS - I have read that Panama IS actually one of the best places to live on earth, tax-wise, COLA-wise, and infrastructure-wise, so don't joke about it.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10354 Posts
    Posted: February 5, 2007, 11:36 pm - IP Logged

Yes. But this is referring to a mega jackpot, right?  It's hard to believe, but many people in Hollywood make $20 million and more every year.  So if you wanted to party with the in-crowd, it would cost a lot to keep up with them. Not my style however.

To answer your first question - Asheville is one consideration, but probably a little bit out of the city like Fairview or Weaverville.  Flat Rock looks really nice which is near Hendersonville. There is also an area called Ashe County, but it's a bit isolated.  The Lake Lure area is also gorgeous (and very expensive)   Austin looks interesting.  Property tax is very high however.  Areas in the Texas hill country like Leander, just north of Austin, look very nice.  To tell ya the truth, I could probably live just about anywhere that's pretty, safe & quiet as long as I have my computer, broadband, and a nice widescreen TV, some books and a couple of dogs.   I'm a recluse! 

Justxploring

I'ce always felt the same way about lighthouses....just give me a lighthouse, books, internet, short wave radio (for Coast to Coast AM!), and a set of barbells

Smile

But born too late, they closed or automated all of them

Bang Head

Texas hill country? You pick out places that get hot. 

I'd like 50- 60 degrees, year round.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: February 5, 2007, 11:39 pm - IP Logged

Justxploring

I'ce always felt the same way about lighthouses....just give me a lighthouse, books, internet, short wave radio (for Coast to Coast AM!), and a set of barbells

Smile

But born too late, they closed or automated all of them

Bang Head

Texas hill country? You pick out places that get hot. 

I'd like 50- 60 degrees, year round.  

CT - but you can still live in one, I see them for sale once in awhile, but they are not cheap by any means.

Had I known 20-25 years ago what we know now, I would have been buying underground missile silos.... 

United States
        Member #30470
        January 17, 2006
        10354 Posts
        Posted: February 6, 2007, 2:39 am - IP Logged

guesser 

A couple of years ago there was a website with all the missile silos the Air Force had up for sale, people did indeed buy them to live in them.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
          Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: February 6, 2007, 2:59 am - IP Logged

Coin Toss, I don't like the heat all the time and enojy a cool breeze, but I'm not sure I could go back to living in a cold area of the country.  I guess I'd need to have 2 homes!!  Maybe I'd adapt.  One thing I've gotten very used to is the sunshine.  A dreary day like today seems almost surreal. 

United States
            Member #30470
            January 17, 2006
            10354 Posts
            Posted: February 6, 2007, 10:26 am - IP Logged

Does that knock Seattle out of the picture?

A guy that worked there and rode the ferry everyday told us the usualy ferry ride was full of young girld with very pale faces, 'Joan Jett' dyed black hair, and you just knew they were thinking of jumping.

Scared

Lep

md
              United States
              Member #14047
              April 20, 2005
              579 Posts
              Posted: February 6, 2007, 6:37 pm - IP Logged

Does that knock Seattle out of the picture?

A guy that worked there and rode the ferry everyday told us the usualy ferry ride was full of young girld with very pale faces, 'Joan Jett' dyed black hair, and you just knew they were thinking of jumping.

Scared

I'd buy acres in Orlando Florida, and keep my home in Maryland.  I'd also buy a Condo in one of the luxurious Buildings in New York on Broadway, so that whenever I shopped or went to the shows, I could stay a few days and relax and shop until I drop, etc.

Honduras
                Member #20982
                August 29, 2005
                4715 Posts
                Posted: February 8, 2007, 11:22 pm - IP Logged

I would buy me a GMC Acadia color grey...

"More important than winning the states' lotteries is the movie Red Planet.."..."

Honduras
                  Member #20982
                  August 29, 2005
                  4715 Posts
                  Posted: February 9, 2007, 12:28 am - IP Logged

Also if i won lots of millions like 80 million dollars, not only would i try to lobby governments of other countries into implementing easy lotteries, but i will do two things in addition to that...I will try and lobby or i would go on a campaign accross the country and try to make math books publishers & authors try and write math books but more easier, with better examples, clarified examples and clarified definitions, if this mean adding more examples to the books so be it (specially calculus, trigs, statistics and what goes beyond calculus, if this mean establishing a clearer definition of something so be it...The problem with math is that it has to change.I've looked at math books and they are not clearer enough, they are too concise and some of them use words that are for experts..Math books are not for dummies enough..Even the books that are for dummies are not easy enough...Math has to be easy enough that it can be thaught to a baby...Could you imagine if math books were like science books, or religion books very easy?Do you know what revolution this world would have, do you know how many Geniuses, einsteins we would have..And is not only math but anything related to math...

The second point i will try and change or influence with my huge money is the banks, what's called interest on money in the bank...I believe banks don't give enough interest on money in banks...What's is that of 6%..Six percent is not enough, i think they should raise it higher...So if you have 1 million dollar, 60,000 dollars is yours from interest..That's not enough, plus you have to pay the taxes on those 60K...And interest has a flaw too, because if i have 1 million dollars i get 60,000 yearly but then whoever has 250,000 gets only 15,000 so interest favors the rich...I would make each person be like on brakets and according to their brackets it will be determine how much each person gets, i don't know how this will work yet...The world would be a better place if banks (not people), gave something like 12% interest to people that had money on banks..The nature of interest is that it can make the richer get richer and the poorer, poorer....Rich now our bank and interest system is  a mess...That's what i would do with lots of million of dollars, even if it means that i will have to create my own bank and set the example...I don't understand how can banks give you 6% interest, when you have different areas of the world where the money has different values...But that's what i would do with 80 million dollars...All in hopes to make the world a better place...

"MOre important than winning the state's lottery is the movie "Red Planet.." ..."

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: February 9, 2007, 1:17 am - IP Logged

You probably could not afford to be Tiger's neighbor unless you TOOK HOME about 100 million, didn't his place alone cost like 20 million ?

PS - I have read that Panama IS actually one of the best places to live on earth, tax-wise, COLA-wise, and infrastructure-wise, so don't joke about it.

I used to spend time on a Panama board a few years ago and learned quite a bit about the country from the people who live there.  It was a Yahoo Group called Viviendo en Panama. Since so many Americans have moved there, it's gotten more expensive.  I was there a very brief time about 6 years ago.  I thought Florida had a lot of rain in the summer, but I soon learned what the word "Rain Forest" meant when I was in Central America!  EscapeArtist (a magazine online) used to have lots of ads for land and homes in Panama.  I never saw it in person, but there's a development of homes called Altos Del Maria I always kept in my favorites folder to look at when I was in my "what if I win the lottery" dream state. LOL

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: February 9, 2007, 3:33 am - IP Logged

I have a few missile silo sites bookmarked, a lot of them are dead links now, but after 9/11 hit, 'missile silo homes' pretty much quadrupled in price overnight and have not come back down, especially the ones where the gov't left behind generators - in some cases big enough to power a small town....

And Pumpi76:

If you do as you say, we will be seeing you on the next TV show about bankrupt millionaires and how they lost their money, because 'you is nuts' if you think you are going to put a dent into any of those issues. The only one viable I can see is your math book one, and you are going to have to write the book yourself, or find a person that can write it to your specs, and then YOU will have to publish it, and then YOU have to go sell it, BUT, few school boards are buying books these days - budget crunch - I've seen school books that talk about the 'Berlin Wall that came down last year' still in use today....     

Math is easy - very easy. Why ? Because you cannot argue it - there is one answer and one answer only, in every other area of study the subject(s) are open to interpretation and debate. We still argue over who shot JFK and MLK, did man really walk on the moon, and just exactly what was Nixon's part in Watergate, is the earth indeed round, and who invented the telephone ?  All subjects of debate. 

While I admire your thoughts on the banking system, you are fooling yourself if you think you will accomplish anything besides going broke yourself.  80 million is absolutely NOTHING in the banking world.  Unless you are a prime lender - and you are not and never will be because they comprise the six largest banks in the USA - money will cost YOU 4%, which is why you won't see the prime lending rate fall below 4% - ever.  How are you going to be able to pay 12% interest on a savings account ?  You can't make that in the stock market - the FDIC won't let you - if the housing market totally crashes, you will have real estate holdings worth not much. 

PLEASE enlighten us at to where you are going to make up the difference between 4 and 12%.

NY
                        United States
                        Member #31362
                        January 28, 2006
                        78 Posts
                        Posted: February 9, 2007, 7:07 am - IP Logged

Babylon village, NY

Honduras
                          Member #20982
                          August 29, 2005
                          4715 Posts
                          Posted: February 9, 2007, 11:16 am - IP Logged

"PLEASE enlighten us at to where you are going to make up the difference between 4 and 12%".

guesser i don't have an answer to that. Is just an idea for now...

"More important than winning the state's lottery is the movie "Red Planet.."..."

chasingadream's avatar - Archangel 01.jpg

United States
                            Member #38687
                            May 3, 2006
                            315 Posts
                            Posted: February 9, 2007, 11:18 am - IP Logged

the isle of capri

Oogle  waiting patiently for my jackpot

United States
                              Member #41383
                              June 16, 2006
                              1969 Posts
                              Posted: February 9, 2007, 12:48 pm - IP Logged

"PLEASE enlighten us at to where you are going to make up the difference between 4 and 12%".

guesser i don't have an answer to that. Is just an idea for now...

"More important than winning the state's lottery is the movie "Red Planet.."..."

Well, if you can figure it out, you will be a billionaire, but you won't be able to figure it out or it already would have been done by now, and I'm not kidding.