Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 6:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

True personal story (getting ripped off)

Topic closed. 39 replies. Last post 10 years ago by jrobber69.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #3291
January 8, 2004
71 Posts
Posted: March 2, 2007, 10:35 pm - IP Logged

So I believe it's time to share an interesting personal story with everyone here now that the smoke has cleared.

Roughly 2 years ago.. early in the morning I went to a convenient store to buy a coffee and a $10 scratch ticket.  The coffee was a usual for me and I went into that store many times to get coffee.  However I normally do not buy $10 scratch tickets.

I purchased a 10,000,000 Blockbuster ticket or something to the sort and brought my coffee and ticket back to my car with me.

It was early in the morning and I was a bit sleepy.  I first scratched off only the numbers of my "Winning numbers" and then proceeded to scratch off again, only the numbers, of the tickets. (No prizes)

As I got to the last number on the ticket I had no other numbers that matched.  As i scratched the last spot I noticed that I received a Star. I quickly got excited and scratched off the prize and noticed that it was $100.  I was very excited since that was the most I had ever won on any scratch ticket.

I wipped out my cellphone and took a picture of the front of the ticket to show my buddies and brag and I went in gave the ticket to the guy that I had known and spoke to for about 5 years. He quickly looked at the ticket and said.. "Hey it's your lucky day' and opened the cash register and gave me a 100 bucks.

I noticed that he didn't scan the ticket like he normally does to see what the prize isbut i was excited and didn't think much of it.  I asked for another 10 dollar ticket and I lost  and I was done for the day being ahead.

Now flash forward almost 6 months to the day..  I was feeling a little depressed and figured why not try my luck again at  a 10 dollar ticket.  So i bought the same blockbuster ticket and this time I lost.  I however scratched all the prizes off and started reading the ticket more closely and noticed that it said if i get a star I not only get the prize shown but all 10 prizes.

As i stared at the losing prizes on my ticket i quickly got a sickening feeling in the pit of my stomach.  $200,000 for life... etc.. were on the losing ticket.

I thought to myself "I'm sure i had a star".  So It was easy enough to check.. I flipped open my cell phone and loaded up the picture. I zoomed in and it was deffinately a Star that I had.

At this point i was starting to get very nervous. I called a family friend and I printed a full color copy of my picture and took it with me to the Lottery office.

I told my story to the lady at the front and she looked at the ticket and said "well you deffinately won more than a 100 dollars but we can't tell what the prizes were because you didn't take a picture of the back of the ticket"

i think to myself "Well if i had known i was going to get ripped off I would have"

Anyhow.. she tells me that my best luck would be to go to the store and see if the guy remembers the situation and maybe he can help.  Again, I think to myself "This guy totally ripped me off there is no way he's going to help".

So I drive back and a little angry go into the store to see if the guy is there.  I walk in and another younger kid is working there and i start looking around and look at all the copies of the winning tickets they have Hanging on top of the counter..

And what do you know! the bastard hung up a black and white copy of MY TICKET with the exact numbers.. my scratch pattern..  and now with all the prizes scratched off as well as the infamous "VOID IF REMOVED".

By the way. it was 1000 dollars.  So i ask the kid if i can have that copy and he looks and me and says  yea sure..

So i grab it and walk out never looking back.. Now remember.. I have my color copy of the ticket.. wth a time stamp on my cell phone of exactly when i took the picture.. and now i hav ea black and white copy of the ticket.

I go back to the lottery office and they pass me to someone else who hears my story and gets very excited.. He tells me that this is the first time a Cellphone has ever been used in a lottery investigation in My state and that as long as my story is true he'll work hard to get me my money.

He asked me if i was willing to write down my testimony right there and I said "yea sure". So i started writing what i've been writing to you guys.. and while i'm doing this.. this guy is bringing me lottery gear. like hats, shirts.. numbers scratchers.. mugs.. it was actually kind of funny.

So after everything is done.. I leave and don't hear back from him for about a month.

I call back to see what's going on and the guy says that the investigation is looking good for me and to make sure not to go in the store to tip off the guy in any way. I told him I hadn't and do not plan on it.

So another couple of weeks go buy and i get a phone call early morning from a detective telling me that he's in the area and If i can meet him at the store in 10 minutes.

I'm shocked because I thouht they were going to figure all of this out on their own and just give me money. But i said I'll be there and went down to the store and met up with him and another detective.

We go into the store and the det. asked me if the person working the register was the one that sold me the ticket and I said "No, the main boss sold me the ticket"  so the det. tells the kid.. "hey why don't you call your boss up and tell him to come here it's pretty important".

Hope you guys that are reading this are interested so far..

anyhow.. so the guy comes in and the first thing the det asks him is "do you know this young man?" and he says "ofcourse, he comes in here all the time.. i know his father as well"

and Bam...... he just f'd himself.. Now he can't say that he'd never seen me and that the whole ticket thing was an accident and once he saw the ticket was a winner he didn't know where to find me.

and man.. the detective bring out the history of this ticket..  they tell him it was cashed 2 minutes after I took the picture with my cellphone (time stamp) and they asked him if he knew some guy "john something" who cashed the ticket and he said he did. So basically this fool ripped me off.. found out the ticket was worth 1000  2 minutes after i left then had some guy down the street cash it and then Sign over the ticket to him.

Ha so they keep asking the guy "so do you remember now what happend?" and each time he said no  they bring out a new piece of evidence. it was actually somewhat halarious.

anyhow so they tell him this. "why don't you give him his $900 now and it will look good for you at your trial because you WILL have a trial"

ha.. so the guy.. still claiming he doesn't doesn't remember.. quickly wips out a moneyclip full of hundreds and gives me 900 on the spot.

anyhow. so to make a long story a lil bit shorter.. I never went into teh store again.. and after about a week I no longer saw scratched off tickets on the ground near there.

after about 4 months i saw that he put a sign up saying "We are now again selling lottery tickets" Big Smile

From now on i make sure I always scratch off everything and sign the back if i ever win.

Hope everyone enjoyed my true life story and everyone good luck on tonights drawing.  My office and I have 64 tickets ( and i have one for myself as well).

So i guess a total of 66/135,000,000..  ;) 

Kam

<Shameless self promotion :)>. Want to get an Edge in Mega Millions ? Try Mega Lotto Assistant. Coded by yours truly. </Shameless self promotion>

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19904 Posts
    Posted: March 2, 2007, 11:02 pm - IP Logged

Who paid the taxes on that ticket?  In Ohio, to cash a winning ticket over $599, you have to show proper I.D. and fill out and sign a form with your SS# and address so you can be mailed a W-2G to file with you taxes. Putting false information on that form is a punishable crime.  If the store owner had to pay the Federal and State taxes on that $1000 ticket and you didn't, who scam who?

RJOh

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #3291
      January 8, 2004
      71 Posts
      Posted: March 2, 2007, 11:26 pm - IP Logged

The individual who cashed the ticket ended up paying taxes on the ticket.

<Shameless self promotion :)>. Want to get an Edge in Mega Millions ? Try Mega Lotto Assistant. Coded by yours truly. </Shameless self promotion>

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
        Indiana
        United States
        Member #48725
        January 7, 2007
        1958 Posts
        Posted: March 2, 2007, 11:35 pm - IP Logged

Make sure you read your tickets better from now on.No No

Kentucky
          United States
          Member #32652
          February 14, 2006
          7344 Posts
          Posted: March 2, 2007, 11:49 pm - IP Logged

Who paid the taxes on that ticket?  In Ohio, to cash a winning ticket over $599, you have to show proper I.D. and fill out and sign a form with your SS# and address so you can be mailed a W-2G to file with you taxes. Putting false information on that form is a punishable crime.  If the store owner had to pay the Federal and State taxes on that $1000 ticket and you didn't, who scam who?

RJOh

When that similar story ran out of Cleveland last week, I wondered why the Ohio Lottery representative they interviewed never out pointed the taxes. The part about her getting some of the money back from the clerk was very strange too.

It's obvious in this story the store owner ripped off $900 and paid somebody to sign the ticket.

Many years ago a friend of mine hit an Exacta at a race track for over $800 and found somebody "to sign" so he wouldn't have to claim it on his taxes so it's reasonable to assume that's what happen in this story and in the one in Cleveland.

On prizes over $5000, they withhold 25% Federal and 6% Ohio State taxes.

United States
            Member #10720
            January 23, 2005
            933 Posts
            Posted: March 3, 2007, 12:08 am - IP Logged

The best defense against this kind of fraud is to make sure the clerk scans the ticket (YOUR ticket, be careful! A shifty enough clerk could have a few $3.00 winners up his sleeve...) and the termial readout is facing you. (if facing away that's already a bad sign!) the terminal will say "PAY (prize amount)" or something similar or "FILE CLAIM" if it requires a claim form. The worst I had so far is when they forget to clear the previous customer's amount and end up adding it to mine. Know ahead what your purchase should be and pay careful attention to the terminal readout. If a clerk doesn't scan, warn them to do so and if they give you flake about it take your business elsewhere.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
              Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:07 am - IP Logged

I purchased a 10,000,000 Blockbuster ticket or something to the sort

Now flash forward almost 6 months to the day..  I was feeling a little depressed and figured why not try my luck again at  a 10 dollar ticket.  So i bought the same blockbuster ticket

What?

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                Member #41383
                June 16, 2006
                1969 Posts
                Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:33 am - IP Logged

RJOh

VBMX got his money, tax free for HIM, and I'd consider the tax consequences a penalty to the guys that illegally or unknowningly cashed it in.  For all we know the store clerk told the stooge that cashed it in that he (the clerk) won it, but since he works there he could not cash it in....

VBMX scammed nobody. 

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:34 am - IP Logged

I purchased a 10,000,000 Blockbuster ticket or something to the sort

Now flash forward almost 6 months to the day..  I was feeling a little depressed and figured why not try my luck again at  a 10 dollar ticket.  So i bought the same blockbuster ticket

What?

???

Remember - he took a picture of it with his cell phone camera.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                    mid-Ohio
                    United States
                    Member #9
                    March 24, 2001
                    19904 Posts
                    Posted: March 3, 2007, 1:39 am - IP Logged

???

I'm surprised he didn't post the picture with his story.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3502 Posts
                      Posted: March 3, 2007, 3:12 am - IP Logged

???

He also got a photo copy of the actual ticket. Yet in writing the true personal story it sounds like he's not really sure what the ticket was...

fja's avatar - gnome1

United States
                        Member #91
                        January 19, 2002
                        12018 Posts
                        Posted: March 3, 2007, 8:32 am - IP Logged
                        i'm just going to post some numbers and analyze a lil bit

from looking at that,  3,21,36,37,55 Mega: toss up b/w alll those numbers  look pretty good.
                        55 looks like a specially healthy number.

i hope you played those numbers on line 5  - that the jackpot  if you played it

the winning #2,20,37,43,46--mega ball 4

hah, actually from the text portion  that i posted (which was legit) i got  1 + 0
                        if i'd have posted my actual ticket i'd have gotten 3 + 1 :)
                        for anyone who is still wondering how i did it,  what i had done was put a picture that existed on my website in the post at around 7 PM, i didnt' edit the post anymore because well, that wouldn't be that convincing.
                        once the lottery was drawn,  all i had to do was change the picture on my website, and the picture on this site would automatically get updated as well without me having to actually edit the post.
                        i did this in all fun and games, but watch out , i've seen sellers on ebay use the same scheme to rip people off. 
                        GOod luck on friday! :)

This was the trick you pulled back in June of 2005,  I thought I recognized your name,  quite a prankster you are.....sorry but I do not believe you!!!

"Everybody has to believe in something...I believe I'll have another beer!"   = W.C.Fields                      

United States
                          Member #3291
                          January 8, 2004
                          71 Posts
                          Posted: March 3, 2007, 9:23 am - IP Logged

What does that have anything to do with my story?

THat was a prank I played about last year.

I'm at work now, when I get home I'll stick the picture of the ticket on here for you guys to see.  But i'm not sure why I have to prove myself being ripped off to you guys.. The investigation already proved that :)

I'll always save that picture for the memories.

All in all, the listen learned for me was to sign the back of the ticket everytime I win, and make sure the guy scans it in front of me. Also scratching all the prizes and reading the ticket a little bit more closely helps as well.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            51286 Posts
                            Posted: March 3, 2007, 9:48 am - IP Logged

This story is a good example of:

Why you should carefully read and understand what's printed (Ways to Win) on the Instant (Rub-Off) Tickets you Buy!

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

fast eddie's avatar - lasvegas2
                              Chicago,IL.
                              United States
                              Member #2902
                              November 29, 2003
                              1444 Posts
                              Posted: March 3, 2007, 10:20 am - IP Logged

"Hope you guys that are reading this are interested so far.."

BSThis is the line that tells you his post is b.s.

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned"