Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 3:06 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You buy a 2line ticket to pool with 1 person but they don't pay the $1

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 10 years ago by konane.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What do you do?

They didn't pay the $1 as promised so they're out. [ 23 ]  [57.50%]
I'd still share the JP and get the $1 later. [ 4 ]  [10.00%]
If they are a friend, i'd share. A collegue, no. [ 5 ]  [12.50%]
This is a tough question. See my reply. [ 8 ]  [20.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
New Jersey
United States
Member #50273
March 3, 2007
348 Posts
Posted: March 20, 2007, 9:34 pm - IP Logged

Okay, say you worked with a person for 10 years or more but you still only consider them to be a collegue and not a personal friend.  I mean, your cool with the person at work but you would NEVER hang out with that person outside of work or business. 

Next, you both are talking about the lottery.  You suggest you pool 2 lines in the MM drawing and the other person agrees.  You say you will go and purchase the $2 dollar tickect (QP) and the person agrees to give you the dollar as soon as they go on break. 

You go get the ticket, sign just your name and as soon as the other person gives you the dollar, you have them sign too.  The person comes back from break and doesn't pay you the dollar and says they will get the dollar to you before they leave.  Its the end of both of your shifts and the person says they thought they had a $1 dollar bill on them but they don't and then looks at you like your supposed to just front them the $1 buck.  You look at them like "you said you had a dollar, if you don't your not in on the ticket" (I didn't actually say this but I thought it).  So the other person said, "oh well, nevermind."

Now in this situation, what would you do if the ticket wins the jackpot?  Would you share it with the other person even though they didn't have the dollar in on the ticket?  Would you keep it to yourself since they didn't pay up because they thought they had a buck on them but didn't?

PS:We were actually talking about the movie "It Could Happen To You" and thats why we decided to share a ticket but they didn't pay the buck.  That was the deal, my dollar and your dollar and we'll split it 50/50.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: March 20, 2007, 9:44 pm - IP Logged

If the person doesn't participate financially, that person has no part/ownership.

However, in the movie...He offers it willingly, not caring about moral issues, so it's different.

tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
      Member #5344
      June 30, 2004
      23641 Posts
      Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:07 pm - IP Logged

oh heck.. if it was a person I was going to go in half with to begin with.. It must be a family member or friend.. I would lose a friendship over half of any amount to money... Just isn't worth it..

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

derek7's avatar - speedykat
        IL
        United States
        Member #34578
        March 4, 2006
        198 Posts
        Posted: March 20, 2007, 10:20 pm - IP Logged

You should decide BEFORE, if late payment is OK...?!?

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1953 Posts
          Posted: March 20, 2007, 11:16 pm - IP Logged

Nope. They didn't pay, therefore they get nothing.

Gonna win.Big Smile

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19825 Posts
            Posted: March 20, 2007, 11:31 pm - IP Logged

If I'm playing then I'm buying at least 10 lines and all my friends know that so anyone who would offer me a dollar to go half on my winnings is not my friend or is just trying to be funny.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

four4me's avatar - gate1
              MD
              United States
              Member #1701
              June 18, 2003
              8360 Posts
              Posted: March 21, 2007, 2:01 am - IP Logged

It cost money to play the lottery and if they don't pay, they don't get to play period. I've had the same situation more than once. Get the money up front or else there out.

az
                United States
                Member #50932
                March 21, 2007
                9 Posts
                Posted: March 21, 2007, 3:07 am - IP Logged

i have lurked for a while and this is my first post. hi to all.

i run a pool of 12 at work and will let them pay me later, mostly because i don't see them often. we have an oral agreement that when i see them or call them they pay what I say they owe. some will deposit in my credit union account because they work at a satellite plant that is 45 miles away. another part of the agreement is if they miss a payment they are out of the pool FOREVER. i only asked/let guys in that i trust and have only had one drop out. he wanted back in awhile later but was refused. i have a waiting list to get in, but the only other way a spot opens is through leaving the company or death.

now when PB gets real big i'll run another pool and ask every one that works the sat shift if they want in. if they want in they pay NOW, no credit. even the ones in my regular pool has to pay up or not get in the pool. i usually get 25 to 30 people in this one. 

later jim

amsoly41's avatar - ron paul_gold_standard.jpg
                  Tennessee
                  United States
                  Member #24912
                  October 29, 2005
                  94 Posts
                  Posted: March 21, 2007, 6:36 am - IP Logged

This could turn into a real legal nigtmare.

That is why you should always have some kind of written agrement.

otherwise it is your word against the other person in court.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0204/30/ltm.04.html

Boxing

Money can't buy you happiness... but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery Wink

EAST COAST, USA
                    United States
                    Member #49428
                    January 31, 2007
                    553 Posts
                    Posted: March 21, 2007, 10:37 am - IP Logged

If I went to the State Lottery Commission and told them well "Well I was gonna give you a dollar first thing the next morning."  They'd look at me like I was crazy and probably laugh.  But I would still not get 1 dime.  You can't win it if you ain't in it and you gotta pay to play.

NY
                      United States
                      Member #23835
                      October 16, 2005
                      3474 Posts
                      Posted: March 21, 2007, 11:25 am - IP Logged

You clearly had a contract with your coworker to split the cost and split any winnings, and you clearly agreed to buy the ticket  on their behalf and be paid later. You clearly bought the ticket with the intent that you would be co-owners with equal shares. At that point the coworker owns half of the ticket.  That they don't pay on time is a separate issue from ownership. If you were ever late with a credit card payment and didn't take the merchandise back to the store you've already agreed that you know that's how it works.

So what happened after the coworker became the co-owner of the ticket, but still owed you $1? By saying "oh well, nevermind," perhaps they were trying to be released from the contract, but you apparently didn't ask if that was really what they wanted and you didn't tell them that you wanted to cancel the contract. Oral contracts can be enforced as long as what was said can be determined.  "Looking at somebody like" is not something the courts are likely to consider. Since you had a contract and the two of you didn't clearly agree to  cancel the contract, I'd say you still have a contract. The coworker owes you $1 and if you win anything they get half.

The one thing that's certain is that if you're at all clever you'll have learned at least one useful lesson about running a lottery pool.

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
                        Member #48046
                        December 7, 2006
                        1699 Posts
                        Posted: March 21, 2007, 11:44 am - IP Logged

Hey Pumpi.... go get a ticket now, and I'll pay you.....whenever.

I don't like the sound of that and neither do you.

In a way, your like a store that had to "eat" a ticket.

Get the dollar before, you decide anything. 

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                          Member #50124
                          February 26, 2007
                          601 Posts
                          Posted: March 21, 2007, 12:11 pm - IP Logged

When they said "Oh well, nevermind" I'd hopefully have the presence of mind to say, in front of a witness or two, "okay, maybe the JP will roll and we can pool next time.  I'm gonna go ahead and get me a ticket, and it's all miiiinnne, baby!"

But even with just  the "Oh well, nevermind" I'd assume they opted out.   I'd buy just one line, (on two separate tickets if I wanted to play 2), and since the agreement with them was for a $2 ticket, I think that should settle it that their money didn't play.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #50273
                            March 3, 2007
                            348 Posts
                            Posted: March 21, 2007, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

You clearly had a contract with your coworker to split the cost and split any winnings, and you clearly agreed to buy the ticket  on their behalf and be paid later. You clearly bought the ticket with the intent that you would be co-owners with equal shares. At that point the coworker owns half of the ticket.  That they don't pay on time is a separate issue from ownership. If you were ever late with a credit card payment and didn't take the merchandise back to the store you've already agreed that you know that's how it works.

So what happened after the coworker became the co-owner of the ticket, but still owed you $1? By saying "oh well, nevermind," perhaps they were trying to be released from the contract, but you apparently didn't ask if that was really what they wanted and you didn't tell them that you wanted to cancel the contract. Oral contracts can be enforced as long as what was said can be determined.  "Looking at somebody like" is not something the courts are likely to consider. Since you had a contract and the two of you didn't clearly agree to  cancel the contract, I'd say you still have a contract. The coworker owes you $1 and if you win anything they get half.

The one thing that's certain is that if you're at all clever you'll have learned at least one useful lesson about running a lottery pool.

No, the agreement was to pay me the 1 buck BEFORE the end of their shift if they wanted in.  I think the person knew they didn't have a dollar from the beginning and thought I would front them.  The agreement was also that they would sign the back of the ticket next to my name when they paid the dollar thus making the "contract" complete. 

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

stephi's avatar - winifrid
                              rural lowcountry, south carolina
                              United States
                              Member #31677
                              February 2, 2006
                              196 Posts
                              Posted: March 21, 2007, 2:02 pm - IP Logged

I would go ahead and include them and forgot about the dollar if they don't pay me because I don't want any trouble. Typically how humans are or at least the ones i know, will nag me and tell everyone else at work and in town what i did and how wrong i was and win those people to their side and I will then have the whole town nagging me about what I did (I live in a small town where everyone knows me and a town that loves to gossip) and then press a lawsuit and all this other good stuff. I like no trouble so a dollar and 1/2 a prize isn't much to spare if it spares me much trouble and grief.