Welcome Guest
You last visited January 19, 2017, 9:52 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

You buy a 2line ticket to pool with 1 person but they don't pay the $1

Topic closed. 36 replies. Last post 10 years ago by konane.

Page 3 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

What do you do?

They didn't pay the $1 as promised so they're out. [ 23 ]  [57.50%]
I'd still share the JP and get the $1 later. [ 4 ]  [10.00%]
If they are a friend, i'd share. A collegue, no. [ 5 ]  [12.50%]
This is a tough question. See my reply. [ 8 ]  [20.00%]
Total Valid Votes [ 40 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: March 22, 2007, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

I just went back into my post to delete 1/2 of it.  Too late!  (got a knock at the door)  I just read the other posts again and I don't want to get into a battle about contracts.  I think some people are going way overboard with this whole idea.  I can almost guarantee that no court would rule that this was a legal contract.  People make promises to each other all the time and can't prove them. 

Here is a great quote from Law.com about a verbal contract:

"an agreement made with spoken words and either no writing or only partially written. An oral contract is just as valid as a written agreement. The main problem with an oral contract is proving its existence or the terms. As one wag observed: "An oral contract is as good as the paper it's written on."

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5587 Posts
    Posted: March 22, 2007, 9:33 pm - IP Logged

I Agree!   Bev, very well put!!  My feelings exactly.

Regarding the obligation of the ticket holder, it's true that contracts are usually bilateral, that is, 2 people make enforceable promises based on anticipated future events. (I had to memorize features of a contract for some state exams.)  So if you hire someone to fix your leaky roof and promise to pay that person, you have a contract.  If he buys the materials and fixes your roof, you are obligated to pay him since you both agreed this would happen in the future whether or not money exchanged hands at the time of the agreement.  So in this case, I agree with KY Floyd regarding the contract.

However, it would be very tough to prove the lottery ticket case in a court of law (you wouldn't have a picture of the roof you just repaired) unless someone witnessed this conversation or there was a recorded document.  Anyone in the world can say "she promised me this" and be lying. 

the person agrees to give you the dollar as soon as they go on break. 

This is a very important statement.  If you have an agreement to collect a 40% deposit to cover the roofing materials before you begin the job, you should not continue the work until that money has been paid.  The homeowner could say "I changed my mind, which is why I didn't pay him for the materials before he started the work."  So in this particular case, the contract might be null & void, since the money was never collected and the colleague agreed to pay at a specific time & date. 

Forgetting what anyone feels is legal or illegal..my personal viewpoint is this:

As Sophia would say on The Golden Girls...."Picture this, Sicily, 1933"....  Back in Boston I had a friend who would ask me to buy her a ticket once in a while.  She even had her own numbers.  I told her "no money, no ticket."  She once gave me the dirtiest look when I was walking into a store and she said "here, play these numbers for me."  I said "sure, but the ticket is mine until you give me a dollar."  She couldn't understand it. She even said "but they're my personal numbers."  If someone here can't understand my attitude, that's okay. We just have different ideas about meeting obligations.

For a person to say "I'm very fair & honest" sounds extremely self-righteous. However, I really believe strongly that I'm an honest person.  I just have certain rules and stick to them.  When it comes to gambling, I believe in paying up or shutting up. 

I Agree!  Yeah! That is what I was trying to say, earlier, put up or shut-up, no ticket no laundry, talk is cheap, etc.  Thanks. I tell younger people if you want to keep a job just show up and work, fulfill your obligation, do what you said you were going to do, and you will always be employed.  It is the way I was raised.

LOL jarasan. 

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51083 Posts
      Posted: March 22, 2007, 10:42 pm - IP Logged

Okay, say you worked with a person for 10 years or more but you still only consider them to be a collegue and not a personal friend.  I mean, your cool with the person at work but you would NEVER hang out with that person outside of work or business. 

Next, you both are talking about the lottery.  You suggest you pool 2 lines in the MM drawing and the other person agrees.  You say you will go and purchase the $2 dollar tickect (QP) and the person agrees to give you the dollar as soon as they go on break. 

You go get the ticket, sign just your name and as soon as the other person gives you the dollar, you have them sign too.  The person comes back from break and doesn't pay you the dollar and says they will get the dollar to you before they leave.  Its the end of both of your shifts and the person says they thought they had a $1 dollar bill on them but they don't and then looks at you like your supposed to just front them the $1 buck.  You look at them like "you said you had a dollar, if you don't your not in on the ticket" (I didn't actually say this but I thought it).  So the other person said, "oh well, nevermind."

Now in this situation, what would you do if the ticket wins the jackpot?  Would you share it with the other person even though they didn't have the dollar in on the ticket?  Would you keep it to yourself since they didn't pay up because they thought they had a buck on them but didn't?

PS:We were actually talking about the movie "It Could Happen To You" and thats why we decided to share a ticket but they didn't pay the buck.  That was the deal, my dollar and your dollar and we'll split it 50/50.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO???

Never Buy Lottery Tickets with this Person Again...

And be Thankful it was Only $1.00...

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

United States
        Member #10720
        January 23, 2005
        933 Posts
        Posted: March 22, 2007, 11:20 pm - IP Logged

It would depend on many things, i.e. the past history of the person, and their intent when they asked to be included on the ticket. A friend could FORGET to put in the $1 in which case I'd still share, honest mistake, or they have a habit of promising to pay something and then not in which case they're not only off the ticket but off my list of friends! Thirdly maybe they didn't have the $1 handy and if they have a history of paying back for things and being helpful then the intent would be what matters. If the ticket won anything and the person intended to screw me then I'd sign the back of it and claim it myself.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
          Member #14
          November 9, 2001
          31537 Posts
          Posted: March 22, 2007, 11:56 pm - IP Logged

It would depend on many things, i.e. the past history of the person, and their intent when they asked to be included on the ticket. A friend could FORGET to put in the $1 in which case I'd still share, honest mistake, or they have a habit of promising to pay something and then not in which case they're not only off the ticket but off my list of friends! Thirdly maybe they didn't have the $1 handy and if they have a history of paying back for things and being helpful then the intent would be what matters. If the ticket won anything and the person intended to screw me then I'd sign the back of it and claim it myself.

I Agree!

love to nibble those micey feet.

az
            United States
            Member #50932
            March 21, 2007
            9 Posts
            Posted: March 25, 2007, 8:35 pm - IP Logged

see my earlier post. 

when i run the pool with the random co-workers i make sure everyone is paid up before i purchase the tickets. no money no play they know this before i buy the tickets. when i come back from buying the tickets i photocopy all the tickets WITH a list of the owners of said tickets. that way there is NO confusion on whose tickets are whose. i also keep all purchases of my normal pool and my personal tickets seperate from each other i.e. i buy at different times and stores. i think i have covered most ownership issues to the best of my ability.

later jim

konane's avatar - wallace
              Atlanta, GA
              United States
              Member #1265
              March 13, 2003
              3348 Posts
              Posted: March 25, 2007, 10:53 pm - IP Logged

see my earlier post. 

when i run the pool with the random co-workers i make sure everyone is paid up before i purchase the tickets. no money no play they know this before i buy the tickets. when i come back from buying the tickets i photocopy all the tickets WITH a list of the owners of said tickets. that way there is NO confusion on whose tickets are whose. i also keep all purchases of my normal pool and my personal tickets seperate from each other i.e. i buy at different times and stores. i think i have covered most ownership issues to the best of my ability.

later jim

to Lottery Post!!

Good luck to everyone!