Welcome Guest
You last visited December 5, 2016, 3:33 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Finally! See the ratings

Topic closed. 62 replies. Last post 10 years ago by sirbrad.

Page 3 of 5
PrintE-mailLink
tntea's avatar - Lottery-059.jpg

United States
Member #5344
June 30, 2004
23641 Posts
Posted: March 24, 2007, 2:32 pm - IP Logged

Until I figured out how it worked  I had given some of my posts a five star..

Others rated them low.. However, the view are climbing..

I take it that they don't like the post, but have to look to see what the next prediction will be..

Whatever cranks their tractor is fine with me..

Another way to use this, would be to consider who does/ who doesn't like you...

OLD/Vtrac   Lottery Bible         Double Warnings      Thumbs Up TN F34/F44

United States
    Member #5344
    June 30, 2004
    23641 Posts
    Posted: March 24, 2007, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

I was thinking that too...

I have posted my last post... for some they have to be thrilled.. .lol

However I will continue with the one I have and then put other prediction in topics that are already started.

United States
      Member #33295
      February 19, 2006
      699 Posts
      Posted: March 24, 2007, 5:07 pm - IP Logged

oops..I accidently rated it a 3 star.

bad mouse,bad mouse

Isabel, you are going to feel very silly when this turns out to be make-believe.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
        Member #15309
        May 13, 2005
        307 Posts
        Posted: March 24, 2007, 5:27 pm - IP Logged

Wow.  That is interesting.  I would probably rate someone I don't like very low - just to be mean.  Heh, heh.

Sun Smiley             

Todd's avatar - Cylon 2.gif
          Chief Bottle Washer
          New Jersey
          United States
          Member #1
          May 31, 2000
          23260 Posts
          Posted: March 24, 2007, 7:50 pm - IP Logged

Thanks for speaking up, lottolaughs.  I was thinking the same thing.  On the one hand, I like all the improvements Todd makes, since this is such a great site.  On the other, rating threads might keep some people from posting new topics.  Anyway, I don't look at the ratings much.  Look at American Idol!  Stephanie got voted off and Sanjaya is still hanging on.  So ratings are only as reliable as the people who are voting.

One thing I learned long ago is that it is literally impossible to make everyone happy.  So I just do what i know is the right thing, and then at least I'm happy with myself.

Ratings are common among busy forums, because they give members "in the know" the ability to direct people to the best topics. It is certainly possible to see negative things in ratings, but just like all the other features at LP, you will use it for a while and then wonder how you lived without it.  Trust me. Big Grin

Check the State Lottery Report Card
          What grade did your lottery earn?

Sign the Petition for True Lottery Drawings
          Help eliminate computerized drawings!

United States
            Member #5344
            June 30, 2004
            23641 Posts
            Posted: March 24, 2007, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

One thing I learned long ago is that it is literally impossible to make everyone happy.  So I just do what i know is the right thing, and then at least I'm happy with myself.

Ratings are common among busy forums, because they give members "in the know" the ability to direct people to the best topics. It is certainly possible to see negative things in ratings, but just like all the other features at LP, you will use it for a while and then wonder how you lived without it.  Trust me. Big Grin

Todd I think it is a nice feature, if used correctly. The site is great.

Always do what you are happy with...That should be number one..

United States
              Member #5344
              June 30, 2004
              23641 Posts
              Posted: March 24, 2007, 8:06 pm - IP Logged

Wow.  That is interesting.  I would probably rate someone I don't like very low - just to be mean.  Heh, heh.

LOL... how would you know if you like them or not..

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: March 24, 2007, 10:25 pm - IP Logged

I hate to give you all some "tough love", but I think we have a collection of the most inept mouse clickers here! Big Grin Clown

Believe it or not, a couple of years ago I found out anyone can  set the computer to adjust the click features. It was designed for older folk who couldn't double-click fast enough. The down side is that you lose the single click feature,in the process.

I learned it on the Kim Komando show....LOL

Chief Bottle Washer
                  New Jersey
                  United States
                  Member #1
                  May 31, 2000
                  23260 Posts
                  Posted: March 24, 2007, 10:29 pm - IP Logged

You can adjust the click attributes on any Windows machine.  Open the Mouse applet in Windows' Control Panel.

United States
                    Member #5344
                    June 30, 2004
                    23641 Posts
                    Posted: March 24, 2007, 10:34 pm - IP Logged

Believe it or not, a couple of years ago I found out anyone can  set the computer to adjust the click features. It was designed for older folk who couldn't double-click fast enough. The down side is that you lose the single click feature,in the process.

I learned it on the Kim Komando show....LOL

Pac.. I will heading to FL the first of May.. We will be going to Edgewater Resort...  My grandson will be walking in front of several producers..

Hopefully I can win some money while down that way..

Chief Bottle Washer
                      New Jersey
                      United States
                      Member #1
                      May 31, 2000
                      23260 Posts
                      Posted: March 24, 2007, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

For those keeping score at home, I have now completed changes to the Active Topics page to add the same features and layout that exists on the new forums pages -- including ratings!

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: March 24, 2007, 10:39 pm - IP Logged

Cool to know Todd. Personaly, I don't have that mousy thingy goin on there. I knew I was good at something. I just knew it.

I love the ratings feature. A lot of good points were brought up about how it could be manipulated with eroneous ratings, whether it's because of a personal thing goin on there, or whatever. But I think that most people will use their conscience and do the right thing.

Unless the topic is out of this world, I will give a 4 star to a really good post. I always leave room for improvement so to speak, for the really good ones in between.

All we need now Todd, is a list of the rater's real names and addresses so we can go over to their house and beatem up for disagreeing....LOL

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: March 24, 2007, 10:43 pm - IP Logged

Pac.. I will heading to FL the first of May.. We will be going to Edgewater Resort...  My grandson will be walking in front of several producers..

Hopefully I can win some money while down that way..

Edgewater resort in Naples? If so...I know exactly where that is....LOL

But you never know, Florida has a tendency to name multiple locations by the same name. And very close by to boot.

We have 3 developments here called "Village walk". Who thought that was a good idea? Now I have to ask the customers which one are you going to.....LOL

Chief Bottle Washer
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #1
                            May 31, 2000
                            23260 Posts
                            Posted: March 24, 2007, 10:57 pm - IP Logged

Cool to know Todd. Personaly, I don't have that mousy thingy goin on there. I knew I was good at something. I just knew it.

I love the ratings feature. A lot of good points were brought up about how it could be manipulated with eroneous ratings, whether it's because of a personal thing goin on there, or whatever. But I think that most people will use their conscience and do the right thing.

Unless the topic is out of this world, I will give a 4 star to a really good post. I always leave room for improvement so to speak, for the really good ones in between.

All we need now Todd, is a list of the rater's real names and addresses so we can go over to their house and beatem up for disagreeing....LOL

Hey Pac, thanks for the input.  Like any of the other features that measure something on Lottery Post, there are always some people who won't like it.  That is as certain as the sun will rise tomorrow.

However, as I alluded to earlier, the ratings over time will become part of the vibrant and rich Lottery Post landscape, and peoples' usage of the ratings will grow better over time, especially as the newness wears off.

By "better", I mean that people will not necessarily try to rate every post they read, but will instead begin to use ratings in order to communicate the "high points" with other members -- specific posts that catch their eye because they are especially good, especially bad, or especially mundane.

Naturally, different people will use the feature in different ways, but the net result will be a good blended characterization of forum posts.

And there is more "characterization" on the way in the future.  For example, I'll probably add the ability to "tag" posts with keywords at some point, making searches work even better.  (Like I currently do with News stories.)

Some people are just more predisposed to resisting change, and that's something that's been with Lottery Post since the beginning.  I still remember the seething hate mail I received when I changed to a multi-forum site from a simple, one-forum topic listing, and started requiring membership registrations. 

For a while I pinned some of the e-mails to my wall, so I could get my mind used to the fact that I would trudge on toward my visions and goals without being held back by some people who had a different vision of what things should be like.

When in doubt, people should take some comfort in the fact that I have spent many, many hours thinking, designing, planning, and plotting toward a future vision of this site -- this service -- in which each member receives all the benefit.

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                              Member #14
                              November 9, 2001
                              31344 Posts
                              Posted: March 24, 2007, 11:17 pm - IP Logged

Hey Pac, thanks for the input.  Like any of the other features that measure something on Lottery Post, there are always some people who won't like it.  That is as certain as the sun will rise tomorrow.

However, as I alluded to earlier, the ratings over time will become part of the vibrant and rich Lottery Post landscape, and peoples' usage of the ratings will grow better over time, especially as the newness wears off.

By "better", I mean that people will not necessarily try to rate every post they read, but will instead begin to use ratings in order to communicate the "high points" with other members -- specific posts that catch their eye because they are especially good, especially bad, or especially mundane.

Naturally, different people will use the feature in different ways, but the net result will be a good blended characterization of forum posts.

And there is more "characterization" on the way in the future.  For example, I'll probably add the ability to "tag" posts with keywords at some point, making searches work even better.  (Like I currently do with News stories.)

Some people are just more predisposed to resisting change, and that's something that's been with Lottery Post since the beginning.  I still remember the seething hate mail I received when I changed to a multi-forum site from a simple, one-forum topic listing, and started requiring membership registrations. 

For a while I pinned some of the e-mails to my wall, so I could get my mind used to the fact that I would trudge on toward my visions and goals without being held back by some people who had a different vision of what things should be like.

When in doubt, people should take some comfort in the fact that I have spent many, many hours thinking, designing, planning, and plotting toward a future vision of this site -- this service -- in which each member receives all the benefit.

todd - you're right.  I'll get used to it and probably end up loving it.

love to nibble those micey feet.