Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 3:15 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does money buy you happiness?

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Does money buy you happiness?

Yes it does. [ 24 ]  [40.68%]
No, not directly. It gives you free time. [ 31 ]  [52.54%]
Undecided. [ 1 ]  [1.69%]
Other, see my reply. [ 3 ]  [5.08%]
Total Valid Votes [ 59 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
New Jersey
United States
Member #50273
March 3, 2007
348 Posts
Posted: April 22, 2007, 1:26 am - IP Logged

I think money doesn't buy you happiness.  I think it buys you so much free time that you can do whatever it is that makes you happy.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: April 22, 2007, 2:46 am - IP Logged

Money never guarantees happiness.  Look at all the celebrities who commit suicide or have drug problems, marital problems, etc.  However, as I said on the other thread (which is very similar to this one) it gives you choices.  I'm not looking for more free time.  When I'm not working I often have too much free time, so I like to keep busy.  However, like you wrote, you could spend it doing things you enjoy that cost money like traveling.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
      Member #41383
      June 16, 2006
      1969 Posts
      Posted: April 22, 2007, 3:07 am - IP Logged

You can be rich, or middle income, or dirt poor, and be happy OR unhappy, it's all about what makes you happy.

You can be in Vegas with a couple of million dollars and a few hookers, and be happy (or not), or you can live in the middle of nowhere in complete quiet and solitude, and be happy. Or not.   It depends on what makes you happy.

When I was a kid, I was happy as a lark when I got a new pair of shoes (once a year).

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
        Member #4877
        May 30, 2004
        5117 Posts
        Posted: April 22, 2007, 3:39 am - IP Logged

Money never guarantees happiness.  Look at all the celebrities who commit suicide or have drug problems, marital problems, etc.  However, as I said on the other thread (which is very similar to this one) it gives you choices.  I'm not looking for more free time.  When I'm not working I often have too much free time, so I like to keep busy.  However, like you wrote, you could spend it doing things you enjoy that cost money like traveling.

"Heck NO">>>>>>

but,...............&&&&&&&&&&................their...........IS ALWAY$$$$$$

A.................BUTT.............(OUT-THERE<<<<<<<<SOMEWHERE??)

TEST>>>>>>TEST>>>>>>>TESTing......123456789101112131415

TRAVEL>>>>THE>>>>>>>>NET>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANK-YOU !!!!

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
          Wisconsin
          United States
          Member #1303
          March 27, 2003
          1508 Posts
          Posted: April 22, 2007, 3:59 am - IP Logged

I think money doesn't buy you happiness.  I think it buys you so much free time that you can do whatever it is that makes you happy.

Nothing guarantees anything.  However, is it not suspicious that people who are wealthy do not wish to be poor, even though they can easily give it all away and become so.....?  Therefore, being wealthy must be a good thing.  No one is running away from it.

Some celebrity (forgot who) once said I've been rich and I've been poor....and rich is better."

I think that about sums it up.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2007, 4:10 am - IP Logged

"When I was a kid, I was happy as a lark when I got a new pair of shoes (once a year)" 

Children have a different set of values.  They have wonder and imagination that hasn't been tainted by disappointment and broken dreams. 

"you can live in the middle of nowhere in complete quiet and solitude, and be happy. Or not."

I agree.  I often enjoy being in the middle of nowhere.  However, unless you like to camp out, even the city of nowhere requires money for rent/mortgage, home heating oil, electricity, gasoline, food, clothing and medical bills. 

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: April 22, 2007, 4:13 am - IP Logged

I wish all the people who say to me that money doesen't buy happiness would take me to their bank and give me all that terrible evil cash, and then we'll see what they say after.

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5117 Posts
                Posted: April 22, 2007, 4:30 am - IP Logged

"When I was a kid, I was happy as a lark when I got a new pair of shoes (once a year)" 

Children have a different set of values.  They have wonder and imagination that hasn't been tainted by disappointment and broken dreams. 

"you can live in the middle of nowhere in complete quiet and solitude, and be happy. Or not."

I agree.  I often enjoy being in the middle of nowhere.  However, unless you like to camp out, even the city of nowhere requires money for rent/mortgage, home heating oil, electricity, gasoline, food, clothing and medical bills. 

Well said..(IN A SEASHELL)..JP!!

Well with that said/did anyone know that PSYKOMO was NUT case!!!!!!!!!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&  KRAZY --2!!!!!!!!

LIFE aunt easy, BUTttttttttttttttttt

IT's THE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

BE$T-Thing We>>!

GOT>>>>>>>>>>>!!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                  Member #41383
                  June 16, 2006
                  1969 Posts
                  Posted: April 22, 2007, 5:52 am - IP Logged

I totally disagree.

I know people that are perfectly content with buying the cheapest car, computer, TV, whatever, and using it until it blows up. They are content.

On the other hand, I know folks that get a new computer twice a year, trade in cars once a year (or sooner), and buy new big-screen TV's as soon as the next 'latest and greatest' comes out.

I don't limit it to children, I only limit it to a person's lifestyle, which is unlimited, or, limited by their income (or credit limit). 

chefgaryl's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                    bristol pa
                    United States
                    Member #34145
                    February 28, 2006
                    367 Posts
                    Posted: April 22, 2007, 6:38 am - IP Logged

the root of all evil is not money it is a lack of money!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

United States
                      Member #28503
                      December 17, 2005
                      79 Posts
                      Posted: April 22, 2007, 6:55 am - IP Logged

I voted no. but good friends do.

Timmer692002's avatar - Lottery-036.jpg
                        Shelby Twp,MI
                        United States
                        Member #1883
                        July 19, 2003
                        290 Posts
                        Posted: April 22, 2007, 7:13 am - IP Logged

NO! But, as is said it can rent happiness for a few hours! Smile

MARRIAGE the only WAR were it's okay to sleep with the enemy!!!

Better single than SORRY!!

Marriage - the LAST decision a man can make! Dead

Wandering Aimlessly
                          United States
                          Member #25360
                          November 5, 2005
                          4461 Posts
                          Posted: April 22, 2007, 10:45 am - IP Logged

I totally disagree.

I know people that are perfectly content with buying the cheapest car, computer, TV, whatever, and using it until it blows up. They are content.

On the other hand, I know folks that get a new computer twice a year, trade in cars once a year (or sooner), and buy new big-screen TV's as soon as the next 'latest and greatest' comes out.

I don't limit it to children, I only limit it to a person's lifestyle, which is unlimited, or, limited by their income (or credit limit). 

I don't see what you are disgreeing with, Guesser.  I never said that you can't be happy with the cheapest car, computer, TV.  But you still need money to insure that car and, even if you are a mechanic, you need money for parts and tires, oil, gasoline.  I know a lot of people who don't even own a computer and they don't have cable TV and they don't even drive a car.  So what?  You don't think they'd want to win the lottery? One of my neighbors doesn't get enough social security so she works to supplement the rent. Her son bought her the car she drives for $500.  I doubt if her husband's car is worth even that. She's 70 with a heart condition.  He has cancer and gets a small disability check.  His brother moved in with them and they split the rent.  They always seem very "content" with their lives and have lots of grandchildren who visit them all the time.  You don't think they'd love to win a million bucks so she could stay home and rest?

By the way, I haven't bought a new pair of shoes in about 3 years.

Miss Bee's avatar - strawberry
                            nashville
                            United States
                            Member #4990
                            June 8, 2004
                            1376 Posts
                            Posted: April 22, 2007, 11:02 am - IP Logged

My opinion on this is yes to a degree. Lots of things make people happy, spending a weekend at my Moms with my brothers and sisters and all the nieces and nephews, playing cards and swimming, makes me happy, however if I don't have the money to buy the car, gas etc to get there I missed out on the happiness, so money allowed me to be involved in that precious time. I think money is such an important part of allowing people what they need to be happy.

I love buying things for my three sons, for one it's major life nessecities, food bus fare to school e.t.c.

It would break my heart to not be able to do this for him. For the other two it varies

I am happy knowing my guys are healthy, but I want to be able to be more happy by doing extra things, so yes money can and does buy happiness.

I can be happy without a lot of money but its very hard to be happy without any money, If happiness is a state of mind, and your mind state is always worried about bills and just the basics I think that shows it affects your mind state therefore causing you not to be happy, my favorite word is content, I like that one better than happy. I can be content without to much money but happy I think requires money.

Just one persons opinion, I am quite sure everyone doesn't feel the way I do, That is just my view.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
                              Pennsylvania
                              United States
                              Member #1340
                              April 6, 2003
                              2450 Posts
                              Posted: April 22, 2007, 11:06 am - IP Logged

Totally agree with the free time being the thing that gets you happy! You only live once, and you spend most of your adult life making someone else rich (be it a sole owner of a company or a room full of shareholders). I have a whole budget worked out that insures time rather than big ticket purchases. It's all based on the base JP of powerball so anything more is icing!

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.