Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 6:54 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does money buy you happiness?

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Does money buy you happiness?

Yes it does. [ 24 ]  [40.68%]
No, not directly. It gives you free time. [ 31 ]  [52.54%]
Undecided. [ 1 ]  [1.69%]
Other, see my reply. [ 3 ]  [5.08%]
Total Valid Votes [ 59 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
ToJo76*'s avatar - lottolion2
Middle GA
United States
Member #42874
July 9, 2006
3912 Posts
Posted: April 27, 2007, 3:40 pm - IP Logged

No, money can't buy me happiness, but it sure can pay paul so I don't have to rob peter.

I'm with you on this one LilSpeedy!

Happily embracing my abundance daily! Big Smile

konane's avatar - wallace
    Atlanta, GA
    United States
    Member #1265
    March 13, 2003
    3333 Posts
    Posted: April 27, 2007, 4:02 pm - IP Logged

Money seems to be an amplifier of whatever is present already in a person's life, happiness or unhappiness.  Add money and it's as if all life issues (good or bad) are placed under a magnifying glass ... effects multiplied exponentially.

Good luck to everyone!

Racine,Wisconsin.
      United States
      Member #47605
      November 14, 2006
      17 Posts
      Posted: April 27, 2007, 8:26 pm - IP Logged

Does money make you happy? For some people having a lot of money can make them

happy, but I guess for some what money can buy can also make you happy.

It is true that you can be miserable with a lot of money, but then again, if you did

not have enough money, you could be miserable as well.

Yes I think that money can buy happiness for some, although happiness depends

on the person and what makes them happy.

duckman's avatar - ducklogodrake64x64
        Jacksonville Florida
        United States
        Member #23018
        October 6, 2005
        918 Posts
        Posted: April 28, 2007, 12:17 am - IP Logged

"Money doesn't guarantee happiness, but it does allow you to arrive at your problems in style" - Tony Robbins

Smiley

United States
          Member #16612
          June 2, 2005
          3493 Posts
          Posted: April 28, 2007, 12:25 am - IP Logged

My vote is yes if I win a lotto jackpot or any prize.

csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
            Member #15309
            May 13, 2005
            307 Posts
            Posted: April 28, 2007, 7:59 am - IP Logged

Someone said, "money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty."

Sun Smiley             

NY
              United States
              Member #31362
              January 28, 2006
              78 Posts
              Posted: April 28, 2007, 9:54 am - IP Logged

If you are in basically in good health and are a good person then yes alot of $$$ will def make that person extremley HAPPY.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                Member #50124
                February 26, 2007
                601 Posts
                Posted: April 28, 2007, 10:08 am - IP Logged

I Agree!

bubber58's avatar - lol

United States
                  Member #3094
                  December 23, 2003
                  1059 Posts
                  Posted: April 28, 2007, 11:13 am - IP Logged

attitude is what makes you.. not money,,, money gives you the opportunity to be happier.... and if you have never been poor you cant understand being poor as well as the rich being rich...

poor problems- fighting the wolves off your doorstep

cant buy food

no home

no friends

nobody would miss you if you died

these are a few of the many things people face.....

rich problems-- oh that's right I dont know because I've never been there,,, I would guess the problems would be very different... like where to go on vacation, or what car to drive, or how big a house I want to live in, who my friends are..

I guess what I trying to say is with riches it gives you opportunity to chose the path which can bring happiness notice (can) not will bring happiness..

JUST A THOUGHT....have a great day

bubber58's avatar - lol

United States
                    Member #3094
                    December 23, 2003
                    1059 Posts
                    Posted: April 28, 2007, 11:16 am - IP Logged

I like that, that's good

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                      Member #50124
                      February 26, 2007
                      601 Posts
                      Posted: April 28, 2007, 12:07 pm - IP Logged

attitude is what makes you.. not money,,, money gives you the opportunity to be happier.... and if you have never been poor you cant understand being poor as well as the rich being rich...

poor problems- fighting the wolves off your doorstep

cant buy food

no home

no friends

nobody would miss you if you died

these are a few of the many things people face.....

rich problems-- oh that's right I dont know because I've never been there,,, I would guess the problems would be very different... like where to go on vacation, or what car to drive, or how big a house I want to live in, who my friends are..

I guess what I trying to say is with riches it gives you opportunity to chose the path which can bring happiness notice (can) not will bring happiness..

JUST A THOUGHT....have a great day

Rich problems - I've never been there either but I really doubt I'd have any problems deciding where to go on vacation, what car(s) to drive, my home, or anything like that.  If I buy something I don't like, I'd have enough money to just go trade it in for something else.  No problem at all.  Maybe rich problems would be

being robbed

carjacked

kidnapped

peeps wanting to date/marry you just to get their hands on your money

peeps you trust with your investments stealing from you

tax peeps taking the money instead of sending it to the IRS, getting you into hot water

friends/relatives accusing you of changing when really it's them driving you away by expecting handouts or expecting you to invest in their stupid schemes or constantly "subtly" mentioning how they can't pay their credit card bills, or their student loans, or their mortgage payments every single time you see them

everybody expecting you to let them use your vacation home, borrow your "extra" car when theirs breaks down, use your yard/pool for parties, weddings, etc.

every charity in the world soliciting you for donations - and they don't have to stop calling under the do not call law cuz they're charities 

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                        Member #4877
                        May 30, 2004
                        5122 Posts
                        Posted: April 28, 2007, 10:46 pm - IP Logged

"Heck NO">>>>>>

but,...............&&&&&&&&&&................their...........IS ALWAY$$$$$$

A.................BUTT.............(OUT-THERE<<<<<<<<SOMEWHERE??)

TEST>>>>>>TEST>>>>>>>TESTing......123456789101112131415

TRAVEL>>>>THE>>>>>>>>NET>>>>>>>>>>>>>THANK-YOU !!!!

voted.........other,............(BUT)

it could provide some QUALITY and G@@D olde AMERICAN>>>>>

"QUANTITY"

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

to YOUR life,>>>>>>>>>"RIGHT"?

that's why THEY are COMMUNE'g too AMERICA,........RIGHT???????

US Flag US FlagUS FlagL@@K OUT vote for BILLPuke

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: April 28, 2007, 10:55 pm - IP Logged

I kinda disagree.

Povery can indirectly buy you happiness, because once you are no longer impoverished, (hopefully) you remember what it was like, you cherish what you have now vs. when you had nothing.

I remember 30+ years ago, buying my first stereo - I could not afford it so I bought it on 'lay away' - every week I'd show up at the stereo store and put $10 or $20 towards it, and after 6 months I was able to take it home.  I felt like the richest guy in the world. I still have it today, it reminds me of where I came from. 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: April 28, 2007, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

Guesser writes: "Povery can indirectly buy you happiness, because once you are no longer impoverished, (hopefully) you remember what it was like, you cherish what you have now vs. when you had nothing." 

As far as "poverty buying happiness" goes, I think there's a difference between having very little and poverty.  I would smile from ear to ear when I earned 50 cents an hour as my neighborhood's #1 babysitter. I learned to save my money, worked through school, and can totally relate to buying that first stereo or TV.   I also come from humble beginnings, but I've never been so poor that I didn't have food or shelter.  Sure there have been rough times when I had to watch every dime, but that's not poverty.  Poverty is when you hope the temperature doesn't drop too low because you don't have a warm coat.  Poverty is when you have to choose between food or medicine.  Poverty is when you stay in the subway station because you have nowhere else to go.  Poverty is when you skip a few meals so your children won't go without dinner.  Poverty is when you are afraid to turn out the lights because of the rats.  Poverty is when you suddenly become invisible. There's nothing good about poverty. It doesn't make you humble. It doesn't provide cherished memories or make you a better person.  It only makes you cold and hungry and robs you of your dignity.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                              Zeta Reticuli Star System
                              United States
                              Member #30470
                              January 17, 2006
                              10353 Posts
                              Posted: April 29, 2007, 12:24 am - IP Logged

Not exactly poverty but when I was in the Army, when I knew I was getting out, I was a SSG at Ft Ord, Ca. (Monterey).

I had some stripes, I was E-6 and E-9 is as high as it goes, I had over 10 years service (years of service go towards determining pay rates) and once a month, on payday, we went to the local Shakey's pizzareia for our monthly out. That was it for the month. 

I usually went to work with pocket change - coins- and that was enough on base for a pack of cigarettes and one cup of coffee in the snack bar for the day.

I decided to get out and went to Vegas. In my first five years in Vegas in just a break in house and another place that was just one step up from there, in other words median jobs, nothing glamorous, I made more in my first 5 years in Vegas than I made in 11 years in the Army.  

I don't think money can buy you happiness but it sure can take you beyond  the point of merely existing.

As for rich folks and their problems, the dinner scene in Scarface comes to mind.

What a great tirade!

Scared

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.