Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Does money buy you happiness?

Topic closed. 52 replies. Last post 10 years ago by Elizabeth03.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Does money buy you happiness?

Yes it does. [ 24 ]  [40.68%]
No, not directly. It gives you free time. [ 31 ]  [52.54%]
Undecided. [ 1 ]  [1.69%]
Other, see my reply. [ 3 ]  [5.08%]
Total Valid Votes [ 59 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: April 22, 2007, 11:09 am - IP Logged

My opinion on this is yes to a degree. Lots of things make people happy, spending a weekend at my Moms with my brothers and sisters and all the nieces and nephews, playing cards and swimming, makes me happy, however if I don't have the money to buy the car, gas etc to get there I missed out on the happiness, so money allowed me to be involved in that precious time. I think money is such an important part of allowing people what they need to be happy.

I love buying things for my three sons, for one it's major life nessecities, food bus fare to school e.t.c.

It would break my heart to not be able to do this for him. For the other two it varies

I am happy knowing my guys are healthy, but I want to be able to be more happy by doing extra things, so yes money can and does buy happiness.

I can be happy without a lot of money but its very hard to be happy without any money, If happiness is a state of mind, and your mind state is always worried about bills and just the basics I think that shows it affects your mind state therefore causing you not to be happy, my favorite word is content, I like that one better than happy. I can be content without to much money but happy I think requires money.

Just one persons opinion, I am quite sure everyone doesn't feel the way I do, That is just my view.

Good answer, Miss Bee.

Sun Smiley

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
    nashville
    United States
    Member #49896
    February 18, 2007
    1181 Posts
    Posted: April 22, 2007, 11:10 am - IP Logged

i voted yes

LiLSpeedy's avatar - 2714
      Decatur, GA
      United States
      Member #20471
      August 18, 2005
      2668 Posts
      Posted: April 22, 2007, 11:11 am - IP Logged

I think money doesn't buy you happiness.  I think it buys you so much free time that you can do whatever it is that makes you happy.

No, money can't buy me happiness, but it sure can pay paul so I don't have to rob peter.

Winning is Funtastic!

md
        United States
        Member #14047
        April 20, 2005
        579 Posts
        Posted: April 22, 2007, 2:19 pm - IP Logged

Moneycan buy happiness for me.  Notice I said for me.  One example is being able to pay for my kids college education, room and board, give them a car to drive, etc.  Thats makes me happy as can be.  Not being able to provide things such as these would not make me unhappy, but I would be worried about whether or not they would be able to get scholarships etc.  Oh, yeah, one more example. 

Being able to provide for healthcare, quality of life care for aging parents who struggled all of their life, and watch them not have to worry about retirement and how they are going to make it, would make me extremely happy.  I voted yes, money can make me happy.  But money alone doesn't make me happy.  My kids and their lives, being healthy, etc.  make me happy. 

I would rather have money than not have it.  I work hard for my money.  I play within means with regard to the lottery, and if I hit one of those big jackpots, I'll inform everyone here at LP in some obsure way about how happy the win has made me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!    (smile)

Guru101's avatar - rw6jhh
          Indiana
          United States
          Member #48725
          January 7, 2007
          1953 Posts
          Posted: April 22, 2007, 3:35 pm - IP Logged

Money would give me the time to do the things I love, which would make me happy, but money itself doesn't buy happiness.

paurths's avatar - underground
            Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
            Belgium
            Member #19287
            July 29, 2005
            2254 Posts
            Posted: April 22, 2007, 7:14 pm - IP Logged

Money won't buy happiness,

but on the other hand, being unhappy, i'd rather sit and cry in a porsche or bentley than in a trabant...

lasas3

An onion a day keeps everyone away!!!

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: April 22, 2007, 7:29 pm - IP Logged

but on the other hand, being unhappy, i'd rather sit and cry in a porsche or bentley than in a trabant...

The truth is stated beautifully by you.

I'd rather cry while there are ten 25 year old models, having fun with my person.

What a dilemma!

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                nashville
                United States
                Member #49896
                February 18, 2007
                1181 Posts
                Posted: April 22, 2007, 7:42 pm - IP Logged

id rather be miserable or depressed with millions of dollars in the bank and being able to go anywhere i want in the world and whenever i want. i would be very happy and rich

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                  Wandering Aimlessly
                  United States
                  Member #25360
                  November 5, 2005
                  4461 Posts
                  Posted: April 22, 2007, 7:44 pm - IP Logged

I had to Google "Trabant" and there were pictures.  Thanks, I just learned something. 

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3474 Posts
                    Posted: April 23, 2007, 1:02 am - IP Logged

I wish all the people who say to me that money doesen't buy happiness would take me to their bank and give me all that terrible evil cash, and then we'll see what they say after.

Just because people know that more money can't make them happy doesn't mean that they don't also know that less money could make them less happy.

Money can solve some problems, but not all problems. If the problems that are keeping you from being happy are all problems that can be solved by money, then money can buy you happiness. I doubt that many people are in that position, though.

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                      Member #41383
                      June 16, 2006
                      1969 Posts
                      Posted: April 23, 2007, 1:51 am - IP Logged

I don't see what you are disgreeing with, Guesser.  I never said that you can't be happy with the cheapest car, computer, TV.  But you still need money to insure that car and, even if you are a mechanic, you need money for parts and tires, oil, gasoline.  I know a lot of people who don't even own a computer and they don't have cable TV and they don't even drive a car.  So what?  You don't think they'd want to win the lottery? One of my neighbors doesn't get enough social security so she works to supplement the rent. Her son bought her the car she drives for $500.  I doubt if her husband's car is worth even that. She's 70 with a heart condition.  He has cancer and gets a small disability check.  His brother moved in with them and they split the rent.  They always seem very "content" with their lives and have lots of grandchildren who visit them all the time.  You don't think they'd love to win a million bucks so she could stay home and rest?

By the way, I haven't bought a new pair of shoes in about 3 years.

I apologize, you said:

'Money doesn't guarantee happiness'.

Subtle difference, I suppose, but a difference nonetheless.

And your point with one of your neighbors is not much different than my point, they are both valid.

Still looking for where I said 'I don't think anyone would like to win the lottery.....' et al

A person can indeed let money buy them happiness, and they can also let it buy sadness, and they can let it destroy them, everyone is different. 

OldSchoolPa's avatar - Lottery-057.jpg
                        Gurnee, Illinois
                        United States
                        Member #49731
                        February 12, 2007
                        917 Posts
                        Posted: April 23, 2007, 1:54 am - IP Logged

This subject is all semantics schmatics...HECK YEAH, Money can buy one happiness.  Let's see here, I buy myself a Bentley, Mercedes, Maserati, Ferrari...wind blowing through my hair...chicks diggin' me but catching the vapors because my wife would be in the passenger's seat looking marvelous...big house with manicured lawn that I neither have to cook my own meals, clean my house, or do any yard work because I have hired people to do it for me...I would say I would be very, very, very happy indeed.  Everyone knows that people can be happy whether they are poor or rich, but since we are on a lottery website, let's keep it real...you wouldn't be playing your dollar and having dreams of winning the jackpot if you didn't think, at least for a moment, that your situation and mental state would be better were you to win, now would you?!!!  I'm just keepin' it real!  I could go on and on, but I've got to think about the precise time I want to buy my QP's for PB/MM/Hoosier Lotto/WI Megabucks so that I can perhaps be happy indeed that I won the jackpot!

Get MONEY!!! Winning a JACKPOT lottery is all the HOPE and CHANGE I desire!!!  NOW give me MONEY!US Flag

The guy who won the presidency in 2008 really won the lottery...he is now millions richer, travels in first class style, and even has a staff that would be the envy of the richest Powerball winner (she has a staff of 2). Every night he goes to sleep, he probably plays the close of Dave Chappelle's Show: I'm rich beyatch!

guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
                          Member #41383
                          June 16, 2006
                          1969 Posts
                          Posted: April 23, 2007, 5:18 am - IP Logged

This subject is all semantics schmatics...HECK YEAH, Money can buy one happiness.  Let's see here, I buy myself a Bentley, Mercedes, Maserati, Ferrari...wind blowing through my hair...chicks diggin' me but catching the vapors because my wife would be in the passenger's seat looking marvelous...big house with manicured lawn that I neither have to cook my own meals, clean my house, or do any yard work because I have hired people to do it for me...I would say I would be very, very, very happy indeed.  Everyone knows that people can be happy whether they are poor or rich, but since we are on a lottery website, let's keep it real...you wouldn't be playing your dollar and having dreams of winning the jackpot if you didn't think, at least for a moment, that your situation and mental state would be better were you to win, now would you?!!!  I'm just keepin' it real!  I could go on and on, but I've got to think about the precise time I want to buy my QP's for PB/MM/Hoosier Lotto/WI Megabucks so that I can perhaps be happy indeed that I won the jackpot!

You are right, except: you can't pick when you are going to win, but you cannot win if you don't play, so GO PLAY.

Raven62's avatar - binary
                            New Jersey
                            United States
                            Member #17843
                            June 28, 2005
                            49725 Posts
                            Posted: April 23, 2007, 7:04 am - IP Logged

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: April 23, 2007, 7:38 am - IP Logged

Here are excerpts from the link.

"Once you get basic human needs met, a lot more money doesn't make a lot more happiness," notes Dan Gilbert, a psychology professor at Harvard University and the author of the new book Stumbling on Happiness.

Thanx for sharing the link, but personally, I don't need rocket scientists, psychologists, or anyone to tell me such rubbish. The more the merrier.

As the graphic at left shows, going from earning less than $20,000 a year to making more than $50,000 makes you twice as likely to be happy, yet the payoff for then surpassing $90,000 is slight. And while the rich are happier than the poor, the enormous rise in living standards over the past 50 years hasn't made Americans happier.

Here we go again, supposedly smart people who know so much about how people react to money.They lump everyone together like they're making a "People stew", for heaven's sake. These people don't know me from Adam. They haven't the slightest of what I'd do with my fortune or how I would spend it. Gimme a break.

While earning more makes you happy in the short term, you quickly adjust to your new wealth--and everything it buys you.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah..........

Well...that's a great adjustment if you ask me. How does this idiot know whether I would want more, after all those extras, and those extras won't suffice in my personal case. He just got those stats from a large group, and averaged out the outcome.

When you go to a doctor with a problem, he doesen't say..".well...most people with your problem do well after. So just go home and you'll be OK"...LOL... He has to personally examine you to see what specifics are involved. You can't lump everyone.

More money can lead to more stress. The big salary you pull in from your high-paying job may not buy you much in the way of happiness. But it can buy you a spacious house in the suburbs. Trouble is, that also means a long trip to and from work, and study after study confirms what you sense daily.

If I were rich, I wouldn't have a job! Even if I had a job, it would probably be run from my house office, or online.DUHHH!

Two days ago I picked up a family of four. I'm a limo driver. This place was so remote,but when I finally got there, I saw houses that resembled mini-resorts. Atleast 5 mill a piece. I called my boss and told him about how they would have trouble commuting, and he said that it's unlikely that these people have to commute at all...LOL

Friends and family are a mighty elixir. One secret of happiness? People. Innumerable studies suggest that having friends matters a great deal. Large-scale surveys by the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center, for example, find that those with five or more close friends are 50% more likely to describe themselves as "very happy" than those with smaller social circles. Compared with the happiness-increasing powers of human connection, the power of money looks feeble indeed. So throw a party, set up regular lunch dates--whatever it takes to invest in your friendships.

Sure friends are nice, especially rich friends, but they won't pay my mortgage,and everything else, unless they're so rich that they might throw a big bone my way, but then again, if I were to mingle with rich friends in the first place, I would probably not even need a handout.I'd have it made already.

When asked what gives them the most pleasure, people favor health and home over stuff.

1 84% Good health

2 60% A home you own

3 48% Children

4 46% An interesting job

5 36% Free and leisure time

6 22% A yard or garden

7 19% A luxury or second car

8 19% The latest electronic gadgets

SOURCE: 2005 Happiness Study, based on GfK NOP Roper Reports Worldwide survey.

Well duh!!! All the money in the world won't do you any good if you're lying on a hospital bed.

Let's see....The 2005 Happiness study....

I imagine these experts are the same people who try to cram religion down other people's throats. My god is better than your god. I know what the truth is. I'll tell you how to live your life. You'll burn in hell if you don't do exactly as I do. You can't fart on wednesdays, and you can't eat opposum on mondays...