Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 10:55 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

incredible story

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 10 years ago by jarasan.

Page 1 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

Canada
Member #51896
April 30, 2007
10 Posts
Posted: April 30, 2007, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

Hi, Im knew to this site and I thought I would relate a story that just came out of loto quebec.

In sept of 2006 a Man won 53,ooo by getting 5 out of 6,plus the bonus number in the 6/49 lottery.

6 Month's later this dude find's a lottery ticket on the street and is perplexed  because this ticket has the same number's that He alway's pick's and is dated from sept 2006.

So He bring's it in to the loto quebec main office and find's out sure enough,it's worth 53,000 bucks.

What are the odd's of this happening?Somebody played the same exact numbers that He did for the same draw date and then proceed's those lose His ticket and it get's found by this dude who already won with these numbers and now wins again by finding this "twin" ticket..

To cool.....

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: April 30, 2007, 12:24 pm - IP Logged

Welcome to Lottery Post, EarthWindFire!!

Where did you read this?  I just typed some keys words ($53,000 and Quebec and Loto) on Google, Yahoo and Metacrawler and can't find anything about this incredible story.  If you have the story from the newspaper or any reputable site, please send the link to Todd (the webmaster here) so he can post it in the News Forum.  I'm sure we'd all like to read it.  Thank you.

United States
      Member #10438
      January 13, 2005
      431 Posts
      Posted: April 30, 2007, 1:19 pm - IP Logged

Hi, Im knew to this site and I thought I would relate a story that just came out of loto quebec.

In sept of 2006 a Man won 53,ooo by getting 5 out of 6,plus the bonus number in the 6/49 lottery.

6 Month's later this dude find's a lottery ticket on the street and is perplexed  because this ticket has the same number's that He alway's pick's and is dated from sept 2006.

So He bring's it in to the loto quebec main office and find's out sure enough,it's worth 53,000 bucks.

What are the odd's of this happening?Somebody played the same exact numbers that He did for the same draw date and then proceed's those lose His ticket and it get's found by this dude who already won with these numbers and now wins again by finding this "twin" ticket..

To cool.....

Freaky Conehead

NY
        United States
        Member #23835
        October 16, 2005
        3474 Posts
        Posted: April 30, 2007, 2:14 pm - IP Logged

"What are the odd's of this happening? Somebody played the same exact numbers that He did for the same draw date and then proceed's those lose His ticket and it get's found by this dude"

The odds of somebody else playing the same numbers as him depends on how many people bought tickets and what the numbers were. If half of the combinations were sold, then there's a 50% chance that one of the other tickets sold had the same numbers. For some numbers there's a much higher chance that somebody else would play them. The chances that whoever bought the other ticket would lose it are also fairly good (relative to lottery odds, anyway). That it would be lost close to where the first guy spends time and that he would find it are the very unlikely  parts. It's much more likely that the guy bought both tickets and just made up the story. It's perhaps even more likely that the story is just an urban legend.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
          mid-Ohio
          United States
          Member #9
          March 24, 2001
          19828 Posts
          Posted: April 30, 2007, 2:27 pm - IP Logged

That happened a few years ago in Ohio but the two players were husband and wife who regularly played their grandchildren birthdays.  They forgot the other one was picking up the tickets so they both bought them and when they heard there were two jackpot winners they discovered they were them.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
            Harbinger
            D.C./MD.
            United States
            Member #44103
            July 30, 2006
            5583 Posts
            Posted: April 30, 2007, 2:33 pm - IP Logged

That happened a few years ago in Ohio but the two players were husband and wife who regularly played their grandchildren birthdays.  They forgot the other one was picking up the tickets so they both bought them and when they heard there were two jackpot winners they discovered they were them.

That is much more believable.

That other one by EWF up there is interesting in that on the first post instead of a hello how are you, a check this out far out super incredible story.  Maybe school project? Again. History repeats itself.

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: April 30, 2007, 2:41 pm - IP Logged

I don't buy it for a second.

Canada
                Member #51896
                April 30, 2007
                10 Posts
                Posted: April 30, 2007, 2:53 pm - IP Logged

This story came out last week in loto quebec's weekly flyer.Im gonna go out and try to find a copy since loto quebec doesnt have an archive section on there on-line version.

And no,There was no connection between the two tickets..The lotto corp wouldn't print that story if they thought the guy was making that up..

The loto corp can track where every ticket was bought..

so give me some time,Ill find that news flyer.. 

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: April 30, 2007, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

This story came out last week in loto quebec's weekly flyer.Im gonna go out and try to find a copy since loto quebec doesnt have an archive section on there on-line version.

And no,There was no connection between the two tickets..The lotto corp wouldn't print that story if they thought the guy was making that up..

so give me some time,Ill find that news flyer.. 

The person who bought the first ticket can easily go to another location and buy another ticket with the same numbers, wait six months before cashing it in, just to make himself news worthy, and try to be popular.

The odds of something like that happening by chance is in the billions, especially because of the time factor involved.

He's just seeking attention, that's all.

United Kingdom
                    Member #31295
                    January 27, 2006
                    73 Posts
                    Posted: April 30, 2007, 3:13 pm - IP Logged

I dont believe a word of it. Sorry but these "good luck" stories wont make spend more money on a lottery.

This belongs in the "...One day I was searching around in some draws and found a lottery ticket. When I checked the numbers I realised I won 500 squillion dollars...". Yeh whatever!!!

Canada
                      Member #51896
                      April 30, 2007
                      10 Posts
                      Posted: April 30, 2007, 3:16 pm - IP Logged

The person who bought the first ticket can easily go to another location and buy another ticket with the same numbers, wait six months before cashing it in, just to make himself news worthy, and try to be popular.

The odds of something like that happening by chance is in the billions, especially because of the time factor involved.

He's just seeking attention, that's all.

Ahh ok..Why would anyone buy 2 ticket's with the same numbers and at diffrent location's to begin with?

Anyway's, He's not getting alot of attention cause the amount is not too big.

United States
                        Member #17555
                        June 22, 2005
                        5582 Posts
                        Posted: April 30, 2007, 3:25 pm - IP Logged

Ahh ok..Why would anyone buy 2 ticket's with the same numbers and at diffrent location's to begin with?

Anyway's, He's not getting alot of attention cause the amount is not too big.

Why?

Why would a guy walk into a university and kill 32 innocent people?

The attention has nothing to do with the amount. It's the time span, and being at the exact place where the ticket was.

Just to let you know, yesterday I bought a couple of tickets for the p-3 with the numbers 144 on them. Later on that day I bought more of the same, ata different location.. feeling that I should have purchased more. The winner last night was 544. My hunch was pretty close.

He might have bought more tickets because he would have to share less, in case others won. I know that seems far fetched, but so does this story.

Just one man's opinion. I'm not saying that you're lying, I'm just saying that I don't believe the story.

Anything is possible, but not everything is probable.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: April 30, 2007, 3:48 pm - IP Logged

I dont believe a word of it. Sorry but these "good luck" stories wont make spend more money on a lottery.

This belongs in the "...One day I was searching around in some draws and found a lottery ticket. When I checked the numbers I realised I won 500 squillion dollars...". Yeh whatever!!!

I agree with you. Also I would like to point out that it's easier for me to believe that there are people out there who would do just about anything to get recognized. The guy who killed John Lennon admitted he was jealous, and that he felt that he was a nobody. He wanted a piece of the action and he got it. As far as notoriety goes.

I said earlier in this post that it's easier for me to believe someone going through the trouble, than believing the odds of something happening by chance. Let's look at the odds.

1. He wins 53 grand, which probably has odds somewhere in the hundreds of thousands.

2. Six months pass by, and he finds a ticket. That alone in itself is remarkable, even without looking at the ticket. Hundred of millions to one. So multiply hudreds of thousands to a couple of hundred millions.

3. He finds a ticket with the same exact numbers he played, for the same exact drawing. That initself is about one in a a billion. Now we multiply something like 200,000 X 100,000,000 X 1,000,000,000 = ?

4. Not to mention the fact that it had to have been recently dropped by whomever owned the ticket, because six months of the elements would have surely made the ticket invalid. I'm assuming the person lost the ticket just in time for the first guy to find it. That alone in itself is about another billion to 1 considering it didn't rain or snow for 6 months rendering the ticket too damaged to verify, then the odds would be:

200,000 X 100,000,000 X 1,000,000,000 X 1,000,000,000 =? I don't have a calculator big enough to get the result.

He is definitely the most luckiest man in all of history...LOL

JADELottery's avatar - MeAtWork 03.PNG
                            The Quantum Master
                            West Concord, MN
                            United States
                            Member #21
                            December 7, 2001
                            3675 Posts
                            Posted: April 30, 2007, 4:12 pm - IP Logged

Usually the fake not to believed stories are generic non-specific names like 'a guy', 'a man', 'a gal', or 'a woman', they never have a name. Also, the actual source of the information cannot be verified nor are the any news related stroies have ever been reported. When you make such calims, back it up with researchable information, references, names, news listings, something that proves what you are saying is true. My default for information like this is always false and will be false till proven true.

Presented 'AS IS' and for Entertainment Purposes Only.
                            Any gain or loss is your responsibility.
                            Use at your own risk.

Order is a Subset of Chaos
                            Knowledge is Beyond Belief
                            Wisdom is Not Censored
                            Douglas Paul Smallish
                            Jehocifer

Raven62's avatar - binary
                              New Jersey
                              United States
                              Member #17843
                              June 28, 2005
                              49767 Posts
                              Posted: April 30, 2007, 5:30 pm - IP Logged

To cool.....

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!