Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 7:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

incredible story

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 10 years ago by jarasan.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

United States
Member #17555
June 22, 2005
5582 Posts
Posted: May 2, 2007, 9:09 pm - IP Logged

This is not a lottery subject, so I won't elaborate too much.  However, to answer you, Pac, DD is correct.  This is something I copied from an Audubon Society page.

"As long ago as the 1880s birds have been dying in collisions with tall, lit structures. Currently there are more than 75,000 radio, TV, microwave and cell phone towers in the U.S., with more going up every day to serve the explosion in cell phone use."  (By the way, this article is several years old.)

Another quote:  "In an effort to minimize the impact on migrating birds, the US Fish and Wildlife Service has developed a set of recommendations for construction and placement of new towers."

On another note - birds flying into windows is also a major cause of death for these poor creatures.  Sometimes being human in a modern world stinks, but I admit I'm not ready to give up my cell phone or my TV set anytime soon.

thanx for the info...justxploring...

jarasan's avatar - new patrick.gif
    Harbinger
    D.C./MD.
    United States
    Member #44103
    July 30, 2006
    5583 Posts
    Posted: May 2, 2007, 11:00 pm - IP Logged

Did you see the seals eating the penguins on Discovery?  Talk about odds.  When they first documented it, and then filmed it, that must have freaked them out.  One would never think that these two seemingly non competitive species would be at such odds is surprising.  I would have bet against this happening.  But,  I believe that overfishing by european, scandanavian, russian, south american, japanese, canadian, mexican, african, and central american fishing fleets is the root cause of this predator prey mix-up.  Only the u.s.a., australia,  rod stewart, and new zealand practice fishery conservation in the worlds oceans.  Really. 

My point is: if it wasn't for overfishing, seals wouldn't eat penguins, the odds would be against it happening. 

Zorak says: "Once again the humans upset the balance of nature!"