Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 5:17 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

incredible story

Topic closed. 46 replies. Last post 10 years ago by jarasan.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink
guesser's avatar - Lottery-017.jpg

United States
Member #41383
June 16, 2006
1969 Posts
Posted: May 2, 2007, 12:05 pm - IP Logged

Ahh ok..Why would anyone buy 2 ticket's with the same numbers and at diffrent location's to begin with?

Anyway's, He's not getting alot of attention cause the amount is not too big.

If a person was somehow 'sure' they had the winning numbers, and if the amount warranted it, you take the cash option with one ticket, and take the annuity with the other, that's why.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
    Wandering Aimlessly
    United States
    Member #25360
    November 5, 2005
    4461 Posts
    Posted: May 2, 2007, 12:06 pm - IP Logged

Extra extra read all about it..I found the story printed on  the quebec loto news flyer..vol 24 no 4 April 22 2207

No wonder I can't find it.  It won't happen for another 200 years!  LOL  (just teasing) Smiley

Raven62's avatar - binary
      New Jersey
      United States
      Member #17843
      June 28, 2005
      51064 Posts
      Posted: May 2, 2007, 12:54 pm - IP Logged

Extra extra read all about it..I found the story printed on  the quebec loto news flyer..vol 24 no 4 April 22 2207

No wonder I can't find it.  It won't happen for another 200 years!  LOL  (just teasing) Smiley

A mind once stretched by a new idea never returns to its original dimensions!

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: May 2, 2007, 2:48 pm - IP Logged

Hi, Raven.  Thanks for the photo.  I had the link to the web site in my earlier post with the picture, but I don't have the technical savvy to copy it here.  I did send the link to Todd in case he wanted to post it. (I also wasn't sure if the photo was copyrighted since it shows the name of the publication in the lower corner.)

These are the 2 men I mentioned who were childhood friends and both won last September.

EarthWindFire, I agree with Guesser about playing the same numbers. Many times people play the same numbers in different stores.  (I have)  One time I accidentally played my numbers twice.  (didn't win anything however!)  2 of my Lotto combinations for a 6/53 game are identical, except for 1 number.  So I could win 5/53 on both of them.  If you go through the archives, you'll see that a woman played her pick-4 combination 40 or 50 times in one day and won over $100,000 (maybe it was $200,000 but I definitely remember the story)  I think it was at the same store, but she had one of those "feelings."  I know people who play pick-3 and will buy 5 tickets for the same drawing if they feel confident it has a good chance of winning.

Wandering Aimlessly
          United States
          Member #25360
          November 5, 2005
          4461 Posts
          Posted: May 2, 2007, 2:58 pm - IP Logged

If a person was somehow 'sure' they had the winning numbers, and if the amount warranted it, you take the cash option with one ticket, and take the annuity with the other, that's why.

Yup.  Wouldn't that be great?  Even if 3 people won, you'd be 2 of them and get 2/3rds of the prize instead of only half.  I also think of it another way.  Let's say you were planning to help your family. You give your child or sibling one of the tickets to claim. Then there's no additional tax for the gift.  Also, both of you can then send $12,000 each to everyone else on your "list" doubling the tax-exempt annual gift amount. 

x1kosmic's avatar - neptune vg2.gif

United States
            Member #48046
            December 7, 2006
            1699 Posts
            Posted: May 2, 2007, 3:44 pm - IP Logged

Hey justexploring,...

I heard that when they throw rice at weddings the moisture in the birds stomach mixes with the dry rice. and it swells

I think ummm  mabey thats why they switched to trail mix or whatever, ( to throw).

Not being "smarty" or anything..... just sharing if you didn't knowSmile

Wandering Aimlessly
              United States
              Member #25360
              November 5, 2005
              4461 Posts
              Posted: May 2, 2007, 4:04 pm - IP Logged

Hey justexploring,...

I heard that when they throw rice at weddings the moisture in the birds stomach mixes with the dry rice. and it swells

I think ummm  mabey thats why they switched to trail mix or whatever, ( to throw).

Not being "smarty" or anything..... just sharing if you didn't knowSmile

That is what I was referring to x1kosmic.  Thanks for commenting.  I am a bird lover and raised birds at one time.

So I did my homework and found out it just isn't true.  Ann Landers wrote it in her column once and didn't do her due diligence by asking the right people. Actually, the people who attend the wedding have more of a chance of getting hurt by slipping on the rice.  I used to picture the poor little birds suffering as the Uncle Ben's converted rice swelled up with water, but there is no evidence to support that according to the Audubon Society and other reputable organizations.  Cell phone towers, however, cause the death of 10s of millions of migrating birds every year.  That IS a fact, worldwide, but what can we really do about it?

United States
                Member #17555
                June 22, 2005
                5582 Posts
                Posted: May 2, 2007, 4:17 pm - IP Logged

That is what I was referring to x1kosmic.  Thanks for commenting.  I am a bird lover and raised birds at one time.

So I did my homework and found out it just isn't true.  Ann Landers wrote it in her column once and didn't do her due diligence by asking the right people. Actually, the people who attend the wedding have more of a chance of getting hurt by slipping on the rice.  I used to picture the poor little birds suffering as the Uncle Ben's converted rice swelled up with water, but there is no evidence to support that according to the Audubon Society and other reputable organizations.  Cell phone towers, however, cause the death of 10s of millions of migrating birds every year.  That IS a fact, worldwide, but what can we really do about it?

I didn't know about the birds and towers..

How does it happen? The power given off when they land?

Coastal Georgia
                  United States
                  Member #2653
                  October 30, 2003
                  1866 Posts
                  Posted: May 2, 2007, 4:33 pm - IP Logged

I didn't know about the birds and towers..

How does it happen? The power given off when they land?

Nah, it's the brain damage by flying into the towers.

Man, that's gotta hurt !!!

United States
                    Member #17555
                    June 22, 2005
                    5582 Posts
                    Posted: May 2, 2007, 4:43 pm - IP Logged

Nah, it's the brain damage by flying into the towers.

Man, that's gotta hurt !!!

HORSE FEATHERS!....

Coastal Georgia
                      United States
                      Member #2653
                      October 30, 2003
                      1866 Posts
                      Posted: May 2, 2007, 5:02 pm - IP Logged

HORSE FEATHERS!....

No, Pac, they are indeed bird feathers, not horse feathers that fly when they hit those structures at full speed...

Canada
                        Member #51896
                        April 30, 2007
                        10 Posts
                        Posted: May 2, 2007, 8:18 pm - IP Logged

I just want to say...urggggg...I called loto quebec to get to the bottom of this story and it seems others have called too.They, loto quebec, are now saying that the story was miss quoted..Hence this unbelievable story is really not that.

Ok,heres what happened..these two guys have been playing the same numbers for the past 18 years..But for this draw both friends went ahead and played the same numbers not knowing they each played..

Then one of the guys totally forgets that he played because of the excitment when the other friend tells him they won..Then 6 months later  He stumbles upon his misplaced ticket and He realizes that He/they won again,that they played that winning ticket twice.So thats what happen..He found his own ticket that He forgot He played...........

Moral of the story..dont believe everything you read......See Ya!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                          mid-Ohio
                          United States
                          Member #9
                          March 24, 2001
                          19897 Posts
                          Posted: May 2, 2007, 8:27 pm - IP Logged

I just want to say...urggggg...I called loto quebec to get to the bottom of this story and it seems others have called too.They, loto quebec, are now saying that the story was miss quoted..Hence this unbelievable story is really not that.

Ok,heres what happened..these two guys have been playing the same numbers for the past 18 years..But for this draw both friends went ahead and played the same numbers not knowing they each played..

Then one of the guys totally forgets that he played because of the excitment when the other friend tells him they won..Then 6 months later  He stumbles upon his misplaced ticket and He realizes that He/they won again,that they played that winning ticket twice.So thats what happen..He found his own ticket that He forgot He played...........

Moral of the story..dont believe everything you read......See Ya!

That sounds more believable because it's similar to what happen to the Ohio couple I wrote about earlier who played their grand children birthdays and didn't know the other had played them too.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
                            Member #10720
                            January 23, 2005
                            933 Posts
                            Posted: May 2, 2007, 8:29 pm - IP Logged

One time someone did win 2 shares of a Mega Millions jackpot (there were 3 or 4 winners) because he mistakenly played his numbers twice and they came out.

Wandering Aimlessly
                              United States
                              Member #25360
                              November 5, 2005
                              4461 Posts
                              Posted: May 2, 2007, 8:51 pm - IP Logged

No, Pac, they are indeed bird feathers, not horse feathers that fly when they hit those structures at full speed...

This is not a lottery subject, so I won't elaborate too much.  However, to answer you, Pac, DD is correct.  This is something I copied from an Audubon Society page.

"As long ago as the 1880s birds have been dying in collisions with tall, lit structures. Currently there are more than 75,000 radio, TV, microwave and cell phone towers in the U.S., with more going up every day to serve the explosion in cell phone use."  (By the way, this article is several years old.)

Another quote:  "In an effort to minimize the impact on migrating birds, the US Fish and Wildlife Service has developed a set of recommendations for construction and placement of new towers."

On another note - birds flying into windows is also a major cause of death for these poor creatures.  Sometimes being human in a modern world stinks, but I admit I'm not ready to give up my cell phone or my TV set anytime soon.