Welcome Guest
You last visited January 18, 2017, 12:48 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

do the lotteries have people researching systems and methods?

Topic closed. 51 replies. Last post 10 years ago by emilyg.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

What do you think, do they?

Of course they do [ 39 ]  [45.35%]
They even have people researching lucky tinkets [ 2 ]  [2.33%]
They don't need to, there is no system that works [ 26 ]  [30.23%]
no, they just change matrixes and games [ 12 ]  [13.95%]
Other- explain [ 7 ]  [8.14%]
Total Valid Votes [ 86 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 2 ]  
Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
Zeta Reticuli Star System
United States
Member #30470
January 17, 2006
10390 Posts
Posted: May 9, 2007, 2:15 pm - IP Logged

What about "non-competition clauses"? In some fields of work where someone may obtain a lot of knowledge about something, or develop a customer base, they have to sigh a non-competition clause as part of getting hired. These are usualy something like they can't work in the same business within a certain time frame after they leave (one to five years usually), or they can't work within a certain distance for the same kind of business.  

So what's not to ay a system researcher for a lottery (or perhaps all lotteries) isn't under one of these kind of clauses?  One of those deals where any idea the person develops "belongs to the employer".

Remember the Sears case with the employee who developed some kind of ratchet wrench?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
    mid-Ohio
    United States
    Member #9
    March 24, 2001
    19895 Posts
    Posted: May 9, 2007, 3:12 pm - IP Logged

What about "non-competition clauses"? In some fields of work where someone may obtain a lot of knowledge about something, or develop a customer base, they have to sigh a non-competition clause as part of getting hired. These are usualy something like they can't work in the same business within a certain time frame after they leave (one to five years usually), or they can't work within a certain distance for the same kind of business.  

So what's not to ay a system researcher for a lottery (or perhaps all lotteries) isn't under one of these kind of clauses?  One of those deals where any idea the person develops "belongs to the employer".

Remember the Sears case with the employee who developed some kind of ratchet wrench?

I doubt if such a clause would be enforced in the business unless a person was working for two employees at the same time since many people leave their state lottery jobs and immediately starting working for another state or company during the same type of work for better wages.  Remember Rebbecca Paul from Florida, she took a whole team of people with her when she left to start the Tennessee lottery.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

United States
      Member #30470
      January 17, 2006
      10390 Posts
      Posted: May 9, 2007, 8:04 pm - IP Logged

What about non-competition clauses for lottery researhcers?

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

MegaWinner's avatar - Lottery-029.jpg
        New Jersey
        United States
        Member #50273
        March 3, 2007
        348 Posts
        Posted: May 9, 2007, 8:48 pm - IP Logged

I honestly don't think the lotteries have people researching the big games.  The ball drawings are legit and there would be no reason to have people researching the game because they actually are COMPLETELY random.  There is no math formula in existence that can with 100% accuracy predict the numbers in a lottery.  So again, there would be no point.  Now the smaller and computerized games, I don't know.

Sun Smiley I got my fingers crossed ready to win!!! Sun Smiley

United States
          Member #10720
          January 23, 2005
          933 Posts
          Posted: May 9, 2007, 10:37 pm - IP Logged

Not sure what a "lucky tinket" is, but I better go buy one as soon as I find out! I think the Lotteries, especially on the Multistate games, run statistics on the numbers during several trial drawings to make sure there is no bias beyond a certain normal range. They will switch ballsets, have old ladies pick out which ballset to use or even use a RNG to pick the ballset (so a ball drawing can have an RNG behind it!) and also changing the machine itself (they often have several of the same one), whatever they can to make it as random as possible. This does not necessarily prevent systemization, but it will kill many of the simpler algorithms.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
            mid-Ohio
            United States
            Member #9
            March 24, 2001
            19895 Posts
            Posted: May 10, 2007, 2:27 am - IP Logged

What about non-competition clauses for lottery researhcers?

I consider myself a lottery researcher as I'm sure other LP consider themselves, but I doubt if I could get a paying job doing that even with a non-competition clause.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
              Member #4877
              May 30, 2004
              5142 Posts
              Posted: May 12, 2007, 1:12 am - IP Logged

WHY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>SHOULD THEY..........AAAAAAHH

HE who control's "D" money$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

control's the GAME..............they can change MATRIX & MANY OTHER

THINGsssssssssss..............DON't ...............................U-THINK?????

PSYKOMO 

TODAY:

YES>>...........I am ALARMED @ this POLL?????????????????????????

ONLY in ole germany, ole russia, new france, or new britan could ??

THIS BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LP is INTERNATIONAL...........................so the world can see D USA!!

LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>(in all MATTER's).............................too ALL$$$$

PSYKOMO 

United States
                Member #4877
                May 30, 2004
                5142 Posts
                Posted: May 12, 2007, 2:11 am - IP Logged

TODAY:

YES>>...........I am ALARMED @ this POLL?????????????????????????

ONLY in ole germany, ole russia, new france, or new britan could ??

THIS BE TRUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANKssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LP is INTERNATIONAL...........................so the world can see D USA!!

LOL>>>>>>>>>>>>(in all MATTER's).............................too ALL$$$$

PSYKOMO 

alert:.......5/11/07

MEGA MILLION$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

was a <<<<<"BUST" to all!!!ChairBang HeadRantHippyLepConeheadTrollBat

28-30-33-48-54+25<<<healthy dog would....throw-UPpppppppppp

turdle of a ###!!

United States
                  Member #4877
                  May 30, 2004
                  5142 Posts
                  Posted: May 12, 2007, 2:27 am - IP Logged

alert:.......5/11/07

MEGA MILLION$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

was a <<<<<"BUST" to all!!!ChairBang HeadRantHippyLepConeheadTrollBat

28-30-33-48-54+25<<<healthy dog would....throw-UPpppppppppp

turdle of a ###!!

These.....MM ####'s

Stings,.Stank &

"STUNG"??????

wonna GET this kind of MESS outta>>>>>>>>MEGA-MILLION!!!!!!

thanks for ply'n the lottery......NO<<<<<<<<RNG......BUTHOLE$

PSYKOMO 

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                    Wandering Aimlessly
                    United States
                    Member #25360
                    November 5, 2005
                    4461 Posts
                    Posted: May 12, 2007, 5:04 am - IP Logged

Working for the lottery corporation is like working for AREA-51

Were you ever abducted by aliens, Pumpi?

United States
                      Member #30470
                      January 17, 2006
                      10390 Posts
                      Posted: May 12, 2007, 10:33 am - IP Logged

I consider myself a lottery researcher as I'm sure other LP consider themselves, but I doubt if I could get a paying job doing that even with a non-competition clause.

RJOh

Not the lottery researchers here on LP, I mean people employed by the lotteries to do just that.

Lep

NY
                        United States
                        Member #23835
                        October 16, 2005
                        3502 Posts
                        Posted: May 14, 2007, 2:30 pm - IP Logged

I checked "of course they do" only because I think they make sure the odds are in their favor all the time.  I assume that any online or instant game is researched thoroughly before its release.  The FL Raffle was a huge success for the State.  Then they came up with EZ Match for the Fantasy5 - another way to get people to spend $2 on a $1 ticket.

However, I also believe as you wrote above, that they must check to see if there are any weaknesses, i.e., the same store selling winning tickets over and over again or the same person hitting jackpot games.  I know most people will disagree with me, but I dislike the pre-tests for this reason.  Just because a number is drawn 2 or 3 times in a row, doesn't mean it's not random. I think if the balls are measured & weighed accurately, they don't need to have "fake" drawings before the actual televised ones. 

Making sure the odds are in their favor is simple math, and is an integral part of developing any games they choose to offer. They simply determine the odds and then come up with a prize structure that results in a 50% payout, and they're done. The lotteries have absolutely no reason to waste their resources researching systems.  Operating the game and seeing that it closely follows the expected 50% payout has proven that it works time and time again.

Super8's avatar - Lottery-012.jpg
                          Orlando
                          United States
                          Member #11094
                          February 4, 2005
                          338 Posts
                          Posted: May 14, 2007, 11:01 pm - IP Logged

I agree with KY Floyd 100%. 

The odds are in their favor along with 50% pay offs.

Super8

Surge's avatar - Lottery-063.jpg
                            Ohio
                            United States
                            Member #46493
                            September 11, 2006
                            4177 Posts
                            Posted: May 14, 2007, 11:46 pm - IP Logged

I agree with KY Floyd as well.  The game cannot be random if they alter the game to keep people from winning, and their costs down.  I voted "They don't need to."

It would truely be a waste of time for the lottery commission to research the methods that people use to win.  It's a business, and it's a game.  They WANT people to win.  It doesn't matter, win or lose, people will still play. 

The Ohio Lottery grosses $20-$25 million in INSTANT ticket sales alone every week  I'm betting on more people playing MM and instants than they do P3 and P4.

Keep it simple 

wannawin24's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg
                              GA
                              United States
                              Member #33582
                              February 22, 2006
                              1026 Posts
                              Posted: May 14, 2007, 11:58 pm - IP Logged

o yes they have people researching systems and methods.  That is why we have to start thinking like the "test makers"

My NUMBER FELL!!!
                              Custom Smiley