Welcome Guest
You last visited December 6, 2016, 2:46 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

As technology and software progress....

Topic closed. 56 replies. Last post 9 years ago by psykomo.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

will it make lotteries obselete???

Yes--within 5 years [ 2 ]  [4.44%]
Yes--within 10 years [ 1 ]  [2.22%]
Yes--within 20 years [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Yes--within 30 years [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Yes--within 40 years [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
Yes--within 50 years [ 1 ]  [2.22%]
Yes--50 years or above from now [ 2 ]  [4.44%]
Nope,never happen [ 39 ]  [86.67%]
Total Valid Votes [ 45 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 0 ]  
Sunny California
United States
Member #40295
May 31, 2006
7712 Posts
Posted: May 26, 2007, 8:22 am - IP Logged

That's it,Dead Aim! Thanks! Pac,take note.

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: May 26, 2007, 8:44 am - IP Logged

That's it,Dead Aim! Thanks! Pac,take note.

Yup..that's the guy. Thanx Dead aim.

I can't even finish solving a crossword puzzle, forget about some genius's thought processes....lOL

It's strange that the person who found this article is named..dead_aim. Maybe you should try figuring it out...ROFL

Sunny California
      United States
      Member #40295
      May 31, 2006
      7712 Posts
      Posted: May 26, 2007, 9:50 am - IP Logged

I'm enjoying all the responses and different points being brought up here,thanks! But it just dawned on me that we will never really know the answer to this,how could we? How do we know what the future will be like? We've all seen those space and futuristic movies portraying what it will be like eons from now. There may be no need for a lottery in the year 5005,ya know? Something else may take it's place entirely,you think?

paurths's avatar - underground
        Switching between Fairfax, VA and Belgium
        Belgium
        Member #19287
        July 29, 2005
        2254 Posts
        Posted: May 26, 2007, 9:54 am - IP Logged

Think about it.  Anyone who writes lottery software is going to try it before selling it.  If there was any chance of winning millions without spending millions, the software would be held back from the market.  If you invented a lottery software and won one or more jackpots with it, would you need to go through the whole process of running a business to sell copies to people you don't know?

A. Person writes lottery software to make money selling product, has little or no interest in playing lotto.

B. Person writes lottery software trying to win, doesn't and decides to sell the product to recoup losses.

C. Person writes lottery software trying to win, sells copies to finance lottery play, hopes customer will suggest something that works.

D. Person writes lottery software and sells it to finance game play, wins big and closes business, moves to the Cayman Islands. 

This isn't to say you can't find useful information in lottery systems and software.  What you won't find is winning numbers. At least that's the case so far with no indication things are improving over software prediction capability from the 1980's, though the game keep getting harder to win. 

That's what I think, who knows I could be right.  BobP

Hi BobP,

i follow you with what you write.

I don't know if it's accurate enough, but here is something i read not to long ago, and from my point of view this comes very close to what it really comes down to:

" No one really needs any lottery software,
        anyone can make their own wheels, use filters, calculate statistics, find out what states had 3 doubles in a row (talking pick3 here), what states had no double in for example 15 draws, find the hitting history for a specific number or set of numbers, calculate and show a list of the statistics concerning times-hit / maximum skip ever / median skip / average skip / ..., and so much more.

Does one need software for that?

Well, that depends on the amount of time one has to do all these calculations, doesn't it now?
        Using pen and paper it will take more than 24 hours before all the calculations are done, and that person can start all over again since the newest draw will have past already.
        Using software this might take a few seconds, and that is one major reason one would use software that does this.

Why on earth would someone by for example Microsoft Word?
        Anyone can type a letter on a typing machine, and it will be much less expensive than first buying a computer and then purchasing MS Office.
        But ofcourse, there are so many functionalities in the software and that is the reason people buy and use it.

Is, once again for example, Microsoft a "scam-company" because a person that buys MS Office expects that when he starts up Word the perfect Letter comes out, without he typing one single thing?
        If Microsoft would state such things in their marketing, then they would be frauds, but they don't, they offer a tool, and they make that very clear.
        Same things goes for lottery-software creators. A site that guarantee's a win each time you play using the numbers created by their software, well... one has a brain, no?
        But if they write on their site, or anywhere else, that their software is a very powerfull tool with which it becomes a piece of cake to get statistics, along with a wheeling engine and such, all things that will help yourself increase your odds, then i don't see why they would be frauds."

Now, it seems to me that many people play the daily games in quite such a way that strikes me as "strange" (which is totally my opinion alone ofcourse).
        So i been wondering what the true goal is of playing these daily games.
        To make a profit.

Right?

Not exactly, at least not to many.
        For me it is more than enough. I am perfectly happy to invest example given each day $30 if the profit is there when one of my numbers come in.
        Even if this profit is only $50 or so. (and the longer it takes for the winning number to amongst my selection, the lower the profit will be, but, it will still be a profit)

Anyway, it seems to me that most folks try to win in this game by investing so little which makes their odds of winning low, but if they win they won like 20 times the amount spent on that day. (but how much was spent entirely..... )

So to some the goal is not to win , but to win big time.
        I find the daily games to be a game of patience, "if you build it, he will come" lol

As for software breaking the lottery?
        Nope, a hit now and then, sure. Even computerized states, which would be the first target of CPU-attack (lol) are pretty close to unbeatable, because the the sequence that produces their "random" number is to complex for any unit on this planet, within a costrange that is acceptable for someone who plays the lottery to win it, to calculate within the correct timeframe.
        Not to mention the "testdraws" in between live draws, of which none will ever see the result.

cheers
        Ricky

lasas3

An onion a day keeps everyone away!!!

sask.
          Canada
          Member #2713
          November 6, 2003
          35 Posts
          Posted: May 26, 2007, 11:42 am - IP Logged

Hi

I agree with Bob and  Paurths,And want to add this, there some real good lottery (program systems) out there if one takes the time to learn how to run them and I think it would take a long long time to get at least half good at arriving at an occasional winning combo straight or boxed I'm talking P3.My small brain tells me that it will take Ions for some one to build a system or program that wins consistantly and would be profitable BECAUSE we are playing a game that is RANDOM and this game WINS money for the States that use it,It will be around for a long long time. But I love trying.

hypersoniq's avatar - 8ball
            Pennsylvania
            United States
            Member #1340
            April 6, 2003
            2450 Posts
            Posted: May 26, 2007, 12:25 pm - IP Logged

Here is the simplest problem you would find in grade school

enter the missing number

100, 125, 150, ??? , 200, 225

Obviously the answer is 175 and the rule is +25... but the method you used to determine that is beyond just about any software or formal definition (try and google it if you don't believe me). expensive neural net software would eventually recognize this pattern...

now, add a layer of abstraction

1,3,6,8,11,13,16,??,21,23,26

answer is 18, rule is +2,+3

you just shut down all but the best pattern recognition software because there is no formal algorithm for what our brain can do from childhood, which is instantly classify and recognize patterns.

Even the apparent "magic" of image recognition software is nothing more than sampling on a grand scale, much the way fingerprints are ID'd using only a few points.

Hardware is already capable of crunching the numbers, what lacks is the proper instructions. A computer is only a tool, and it returns what you ask... perhaps we need to re-phrase the question.

Playing more than one ticket per game is betting against yourself.

Badger's avatar - adu50016 NorthAmericanBadger.jpg
              Wisconsin
              United States
              Member #1303
              March 27, 2003
              1508 Posts
              Posted: May 26, 2007, 12:36 pm - IP Logged

Obviously no one has cracked the "code" yet because lotteries are still around and have been around for years and years. Look how far computers and software have come just within these last 10 years or so. But as time goes on and computers and software get more advanced,do you think it's just a matter of time before someone develops a way to win all the time,sells it on the market, and eventually put the lotteries out of business? Or would some higher power never let it get that far?

No way. First, if someone did manage to develop a method of winning "all the time" as you say, they would obviously not be an ignorant person. Therefore, they would never sell the method. Because that would be like selling the Golden Goose. Won't happen.

And if computers become more advanced, then the lotteries will have more advanced computers. Don't forget, they have all the money. They will certainly upgrade. They will even be able to pay for new algorithms to be developed that will be even tougher to crack.

It's an ongoing process.  The jackpot games (certainly) and the Daily Games (to a lesser degree) take a lot of luck in order to hit the jackpot amounts. You will never reduce the odds against you to zero; you can only hope to lessen the odds some, and then get lucky.

============

How can you tell if a politician is lying?

Answer: His lips are moving.

Sunny California
                United States
                Member #40295
                May 31, 2006
                7712 Posts
                Posted: May 26, 2007, 1:06 pm - IP Logged

With respect to everyone's opinions,perhaps we're all not thinking as far ahead as I suppose I am. And maybe this is kind of even OFF the subject but will there even "need" to be a lottery 1,000-2,000 years from now (assuming the world is still here as we know it)?? Maybe I should start another poll,haha. I don't know about you folks,but I always imagine the state of the world getting worse through the years,not better. I would think a lottery would be the last thing on anyone's mind if there were no more oil or food left in the world. Sorry,don't mind me!

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
                  mid-Ohio
                  United States
                  Member #9
                  March 24, 2001
                  19825 Posts
                  Posted: May 26, 2007, 1:18 pm - IP Logged

True, anyone can get a list of all the possible outcomes of any lottery and by playing them all guarantee themselves a win but it's the payout amounts that make that unpractical.

Since winners can be anywhere on that list, the question is where on that list will the next winner most likely be?  For a pick3 game, if you're playing for a straight hit, the list is 1000 numbers and if you're playing for a box hit the list is 230 numbers so it tempting to think someone should be able to score a hit every time with only a few guesses with some intelligent software that would pay more than it cost to play.

When you consider a game like MegaMillions with a list of 175,711,536 possible outcomes and 2,349,060 of those outcomes will win something, it's even more tempting to think it can be done over a longer period of time.

It might happen someday but I doubt it.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

BobP's avatar - bobp avatar.png
                    Dump Water Florida
                    United States
                    Member #380
                    June 5, 2002
                    3103 Posts
                    Posted: May 26, 2007, 2:11 pm - IP Logged

With respect to everyone's opinions,perhaps we're all not thinking as far ahead as I suppose I am. And maybe this is kind of even OFF the subject but will there even "need" to be a lottery 1,000-2,000 years from now (assuming the world is still here as we know it)?? Maybe I should start another poll,haha. I don't know about you folks,but I always imagine the state of the world getting worse through the years,not better. I would think a lottery would be the last thing on anyone's mind if there were no more oil or food left in the world. Sorry,don't mind me!

Well that wasn't your original question, was it?  The Romans had forms of lottery, raffels with door prizes, etc. and must have felt at times civilization was coming to an end. 

Up until about 150 years ago oil was considered a nusance when found on the property.  We could live without 90% of oil if we had to because we did before.  Back to one horse power per person. It all comes down to population. In 1,000 to 2,000 years it will be standing room only if we don't control the sitituation, then the lottery prize will be 100 empty square feet of space and a pizza with  soylent green sauage.  BobP

MillionsWanted's avatar - 24Qa6LT

Norway
                      Member #9517
                      December 10, 2004
                      1272 Posts
                      Posted: May 27, 2007, 10:05 am - IP Logged

Soylent green sausage on pizza? That's my favorite too. Nothing else taste like soylent green.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                        Wandering Aimlessly
                        United States
                        Member #25360
                        November 5, 2005
                        4461 Posts
                        Posted: May 27, 2007, 10:35 am - IP Logged

Bob, most of the world population growth was never in the United States. However, our country has been affected much more by immigration over the past 2 decades than anywhere else.  Then the immigrants have lots of children and they automatically become American citizens.  In the last 15 to 20 years immigrants and their children account for more than half of the U.S. population growth.  Recent studies show that the past couple of censuses were way off.

BTW, this isn't a political or personal judgment - just a fact.

United States
                          Member #17555
                          June 22, 2005
                          5582 Posts
                          Posted: May 27, 2007, 10:58 am - IP Logged

Bob, most of the world population growth was never in the United States. However, our country has been affected much more by immigration over the past 2 decades than anywhere else.  Then the immigrants have lots of children and they automatically become American citizens.  In the last 15 to 20 years immigrants and their children account for more than half of the U.S. population growth.  Recent studies show that the past couple of censuses were way off.

BTW, this isn't a political or personal judgment - just a fact.

What are you talking about? Eggplant factories never sold pepper steak candy in Indonesia before 1744.

Please get your facts straight.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: May 27, 2007, 11:20 am - IP Logged

What are you talking about? Eggplant factories never sold pepper steak candy in Indonesia before 1744.

Please get your facts straight.

It all comes down to population. In 1,000 to 2,000 years it will be standing room only if we don't control the sitituation, then the lottery prize will be 100 empty square feet of space and a pizza with  soylent green sauage.  BobP

I was responding to the above comment by Bob on population growth and soylent green. I am always hearing about how we need to control the population.  I was reading a census once that indicated that in 2001 more people were born in India in one month than in the entire United States all year.  I guess now that I'm looking at his comment again, maybe he was talking about the whole planet, but that only gives me more reason to play.  If I win I'll be able to buy a ticket to the first flight to another galaxy.  

(what the heck are you smoking?)

United States
                              Member #17555
                              June 22, 2005
                              5582 Posts
                              Posted: May 27, 2007, 12:37 pm - IP Logged

It all comes down to population. In 1,000 to 2,000 years it will be standing room only if we don't control the sitituation, then the lottery prize will be 100 empty square feet of space and a pizza with  soylent green sauage.  BobP

I was responding to the above comment by Bob on population growth and soylent green. I am always hearing about how we need to control the population.  I was reading a census once that indicated that in 2001 more people were born in India in one month than in the entire United States all year.  I guess now that I'm looking at his comment again, maybe he was talking about the whole planet, but that only gives me more reason to play.  If I win I'll be able to buy a ticket to the first flight to another galaxy.  

(what the heck are you smoking?)

Wow that's a lot of Indians. I think they see this and want to grow up to be rock stars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRmqZRPgK1w&mode=related&search=