Welcome Guest
You last visited December 7, 2016, 8:59 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Ethics or Not

Topic closed. 44 replies. Last post 10 years ago by justxploring.

Page 2 of 3
PrintE-mailLink

Having found a $40 Mil lottery ticket with the winner Identified on the back, what do U do next?

Cash and Keep [ 3 ]  [9.68%]
Ask Owner for a finders fee. [ 15 ]  [48.39%]
Tell Owner you are splitting 50/50 [ 3 ]  [9.68%]
Cash and donate some to charity [ 0 ]  [0.00%]
If you don't respond we know your answer [ 10 ]  [32.26%]
Total Valid Votes [ 31 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 13 ]  
justxploring's avatar - villiarna
Wandering Aimlessly
United States
Member #25360
November 5, 2005
4461 Posts
Posted: June 3, 2007, 8:52 pm - IP Logged

???

I don't understand this poll.  This really has nothing to do with ethics at all.  I don't think you have much of a choice in this case.  You cannot cash the ticket if someone else's name is on the back of it.  When you walk into the Lottery Office, they will ask for 2 forms of ID including a photo ID (driver's license, passport) and your social security number.  So whoever chooses this answer is admitting to Identity Theft! 

Second, if there is any suspicious activity, the Lottery Office will investigate and there's probably a security video of the transaction.  Maybe someone else can confirm this for me, but I believe any documents you fill out at the Lottery Office are legal forms and, if you sign them fraudulently, you might be committing a crime.  

What would my true answer be?  I think I might contact an attorney and ask for counseling.  I don't believe in stealing or being paid to do the right thing either, but I wouldn't feel guilty if I was able to share the prize either.  People here keep using the word "Karma" but isn't finding the ticket an event that might be a result of a prior good act?   

United States
    Member #17555
    June 22, 2005
    5582 Posts
    Posted: June 3, 2007, 8:54 pm - IP Logged

This is a no brainer. If it's signed, the person who signed it is the owner.

If the ticket was not signed, then I would have a party. But I wouldn't touch the signed ticket with a 17 foot pole, unless you wanted a finder's fee, like it has been said here in the last posts

They call this the land of opportunity. You can recover someone's winning ticket and reap the rewards without guilt in my opinion. The person is getting something that he or she might have never received, if it weren't for you finding it in the first place. I would have absolutely no guilty feelings asking for a finder's fee. There are people in this country who do just that for a living. 

United States
      Member #17555
      June 22, 2005
      5582 Posts
      Posted: June 3, 2007, 8:58 pm - IP Logged

This is a no brainer. If it's signed, the person who signed it is the owner.

If the ticket was not signed, then I would have a party. But I wouldn't touch the signed ticket with a 17 foot pole, unless you wanted a finder's fee, like it has been said here in the last posts

They call this the land of opportunity. You can recover someone's winning ticket and reap the rewards without guilt in my opinion. The person is getting something that he or she might have never received, if it weren't for you finding it in the first place. I would have absolutely no guilty feelings asking for a finder's fee. There are people in this country who do just that for a living. 

There are people in this country who do just that for a living. 

What I meant is that, people in this country charge for finder's fees in order to find HUD "Housing and urban development" funds due back to people when they sell their house.

Wandering Aimlessly
        United States
        Member #25360
        November 5, 2005
        4461 Posts
        Posted: June 3, 2007, 9:02 pm - IP Logged

ABSOLUTELY!!  They're called headhunters, agents, publicists....they usually get a percentage of your salary.  $40 million is a lot of moolah.  $4 million would be fine with me.  (I'd really be happy with $1 million cash, but everyone likes to dicker.) 

Pac, funny you should mention this.  There are books telling people where to find grants, etc.  They're all full of baloney, but one I'm thinking of sells for about $25 at Barnes & Noble.

United States
          Member #17555
          June 22, 2005
          5582 Posts
          Posted: June 3, 2007, 9:19 pm - IP Logged

ABSOLUTELY!!  They're called headhunters, agents, publicists....they usually get a percentage of your salary.  $40 million is a lot of moolah.  $4 million would be fine with me.  (I'd really be happy with $1 million cash, but everyone likes to dicker.) 

Pac, funny you should mention this.  There are books telling people where to find grants, etc.  They're all full of baloney, but one I'm thinking of sells for about $25 at Barnes & Noble.

Yeah!....Like that guy wearing the question marks ranting and raving over govt. grants and the such. I wish I saw him in the 70's while on mushrooms,,,,,I'd be laughing so hard...

OH! by the way...I did that once with the mushrooms while watching that commercial with "Crazy Eddie". A popular New York commercial that was just as annoying as " Head ON" ....Now they have Skin on for warts and pimples and mosquito bites. 

What's next? Foot size on? Just rub the rollon on your feet and you will be bigger than godzilla on valentine's day....LOL

Wandering Aimlessly
            United States
            Member #25360
            November 5, 2005
            4461 Posts
            Posted: June 3, 2007, 9:24 pm - IP Logged

Pac, that's the guy!    Yup.  I ordered his book but was told at a meeting for entrepreneurs that is counseled by former CEOs who live in the area that it's total bull.  They even got angry at me and said "NO GRANTS...ARE YOU LISTENING?  THEY DON'T EXIST!"  By the way, it was at that meeting that I discovered I was too poor to be an entrepreneur.  LOL

OMG, Pac.   I was thinking of "something else-on" when I read your post!  Embarassed

United States
              Member #17555
              June 22, 2005
              5582 Posts
              Posted: June 3, 2007, 9:29 pm - IP Logged

Pac, that's the guy!    Yup.  I ordered his book but was told at a meeting for entrepreneurs that is counseled by former CEOs who live in the area that it's total bull.  They even got angry at me and said "NO GRANTS...ARE YOU LISTENING?  THEY DON'T EXIST!"  By the way, it was at that meeting that I discovered I was too poor to be an entrepreneur.  LOL

OMG, Pac.   I was thinking of "something else-on" when I read your post!  Embarassed

C'mon Justxploring....I can make 17,000 bucks a month selling how to books. Just send me 39.95 for the information....LOL

Banana

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                Member #14
                November 9, 2001
                31354 Posts
                Posted: June 3, 2007, 9:39 pm - IP Logged

"Having found a $40 Mil lottery ticket with the winner Identified on the back, what do U do next?"

1. Return Ticket to the Rightful Owner!

2. Ask for No Reward!

3. Accept Reward if Offered!

U got it -  Cheers

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                  Member #17555
                  June 22, 2005
                  5582 Posts
                  Posted: June 3, 2007, 10:04 pm - IP Logged

C'mon Kitty!!!

You could use a finder's fee....can't you?

Maybe 300 bucks commision...even just 150 bucks....lol

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                    Member #14
                    November 9, 2001
                    31354 Posts
                    Posted: June 3, 2007, 10:06 pm - IP Logged

C'mon Kitty!!!

You could use a finder's fee....can't you?

Maybe 300 bucks commision...even just 150 bucks....lol

Hey Pac - sure could - but only if they offer.  Lovies

love to nibble those micey feet.

United States
                      Member #17555
                      June 22, 2005
                      5582 Posts
                      Posted: June 3, 2007, 10:16 pm - IP Logged

Hey Pac - sure could - but only if they offer.  Lovies

How true.

They will offer, Just give it up...I mean " Just Give it time"....LOL

ROFL

NASHVILLE, TENN
                        United States
                        Member #33372
                        February 20, 2006
                        1044 Posts
                        Posted: June 4, 2007, 3:14 am - IP Logged

I would sign my name on the back of the ticket and then go find the other guy.  My first words to him/her would be "Let's talk".

SirMetro's avatar - center
                          East of Atlanta
                          United States
                          Member #6191
                          August 11, 2004
                          1389 Posts
                          Posted: June 4, 2007, 9:52 am - IP Logged

You left out "Return to rightful Owner without a question"

Personally, I don't care if it's a ticket worth $1 or $100 million, all said and done, a good person is defined by doing what is right, even if no one is watching.

china
                            United States
                            Member #50326
                            March 3, 2007
                            33 Posts
                            Posted: June 4, 2007, 10:03 am - IP Logged

I would sign my name on the back of the ticket and then go find the other guy.  My first words to him/her would be "Let's talk".

Wow,I could not do any of the above from the poll.I would locate the owner and forget about it.

Pick3Place's avatar - DiscoBallGlowing
                              Fort Lauderdale FL
                              United States
                              Member #50178
                              February 28, 2007
                              405 Posts
                              Posted: June 4, 2007, 11:36 am - IP Logged

Dream 2000 

Welcome to LP.  How are things half a world away? 

I would love to visit China some day.

P3P 

Jay at

Pick 3 Place

"May the numbers be with you"

All posts and predictions are for

entertainment purposes only.