Welcome Guest
You last visited January 24, 2017, 12:09 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

does age play a factor when winning the jackpot?

Topic closed. 57 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Clairvoyance.

Page 2 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

does age play a factor when winning the jackpot?

yes [ 32 ]  [43.24%]
no [ 42 ]  [56.76%]
Total Valid Votes [ 74 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
Kentucky
United States
Member #32652
February 14, 2006
7344 Posts
Posted: June 28, 2007, 4:55 pm - IP Logged

I don't think age has anything to do with  winning the lottery. I know an older couple that worked with me  won the fanasty 5 here in georgia a couple of years ago they are in there 55 to 60 range .they bought cars and a lot of stuff they really did not need and now they are struggling the cars got repod and there home was almost fore closed .no matter how old we are if we don't put this cash to good use when and if we win you can find yourself  BROKE AGAIN!!

With jackpots in the $5 - $10 Million range, people in their 40s or 50s are much more vulnerable if they quit their jobs, overspend, and have no income in 5 or 6 years. Just finding a good paying job might be difficult and they can forget about finding a job that where they could still enjoy the same lifestyle.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
    Zeta Reticuli Star System
    United States
    Member #30470
    January 17, 2006
    10392 Posts
    Posted: June 28, 2007, 6:34 pm - IP Logged

Seeing that no one under the age of 50 ever seems to win these jackpots, I think this question is moot.

Where did you get that? Watch the lottery documentaries, that statement above is not true at all.

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
      Wandering Aimlessly
      United States
      Member #25360
      November 5, 2005
      4461 Posts
      Posted: June 28, 2007, 6:52 pm - IP Logged

With jackpots in the $5 - $10 Million range, people in their 40s or 50s are much more vulnerable if they quit their jobs, overspend, and have no income in 5 or 6 years. Just finding a good paying job might be difficult and they can forget about finding a job that where they could still enjoy the same lifestyle.

I just can't see how someone, at any age, can blow $10 million unless he's a real idiot.  I realize we often read about winners who were afflicted with the Jack Whittaker syndrome, but they have to be the exception.  The only unexpected expenses one might have is an uninsured medical procedure, but the first thing one should do after collecting the check is to make sure he has lots of protection.

I also don't think anyone at any age would need to work, unless he chooses to do so.  Unless you buy a mansion that requires a lot of upkeep and the taxes and insurance are outrageous, investing just $1 or $2 million wisely should last a lifetime.  Most people in a lifetime won't make close to $5 million so I don't know why, if someone wins a big jackpot, he can't be happy living comfortably knowing he has all that security. 

MissNYC's avatar - diva
        Westchester, New York
        United States
        Member #49345
        January 27, 2007
        168 Posts
        Posted: June 28, 2007, 7:43 pm - IP Logged

Seeing that no one under the age of 50 ever seems to win these jackpots, I think this question is moot.

Actually, I remember a few years ago, a young girl in her 20s won either the mega million or powerball. It wasn't a huge huge jackpot, but it was either 60 mil, or she went home with 60 mil (and when I say it's wasn't huge, it wasn't like 300 mil or anything). Anyway, I rember it catching my attention cause I was think wow, good for her, she's so young! But you never heard from her or about her again, which is probably a good thing.

"If you just keep believing, that dream that you wish will come true"

Bed

hearsetrax's avatar - 0118

United States
          Member #52345
          May 21, 2007
          2680 Posts
          Posted: June 28, 2007, 8:55 pm - IP Logged

PonderI doubt having that much money @ once @ any age would be any good for them

Coastal Georgia
            United States
            Member #2653
            October 30, 2003
            1866 Posts
            Posted: June 28, 2007, 9:04 pm - IP Logged

My vote is NO-

stupid is as stupid does at any age...

Westerose
              Canada
              Member #52915
              June 15, 2007
              189 Posts
              Posted: June 29, 2007, 3:10 am - IP Logged

On one of the lottery shows they had the youngest Powerball Winner..... he was going to Uni bought a modest house and was forming a production company to make films which was is major at Uni. Kid has a good plan and is sticking to it. good for him.

Youngest Mega Millions was an 18 year old girl she won around the same time as David Edwards won Powerball and nope we haven't heard from her since so I think that means she is doing fine. But I think she was splitting it with her family.  What was strange about hers is that it was her very first lottery ticket she won on. She just turned 18 and bought the ticket her first near her BDay when the lottery was huge and she was 1 of 5 I believe who won Mega Millions that draw. Talk about someone having a horseshoe on their bum lol

It depends on the person who wins....      for some folks winning older is better for some it doesn't matter..... for some winning younger is better as they can go to college and such...

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Uff Da!'s avatar - InCelebration 001.jpg
                Washington State
                United States
                Member #33973
                February 26, 2006
                347 Posts
                Posted: June 29, 2007, 12:57 pm - IP Logged

I voted yes, but it is a qualified yes.  Some people can handle their finances while they are still in high school.  Some never learn to handle their finances without getting in trouble.  BUT - some people also learn from experience, and will do a much better job of managing their money in their 50s, for example, than they did in their 20s.  As a wild guess, let's say that 50% of the people will make much better choices with the additional 30 years experience in living.  So in that sense, yes, age makes a difference, but it is far from an absolute.

Westerose
                  Canada
                  Member #52915
                  June 15, 2007
                  189 Posts
                  Posted: June 29, 2007, 5:14 pm - IP Logged

I'm glad I didn't win a huge jackpot when I was younger for this reason. I pr'y would not have met my wife if I had then.

When I was younger I dated alot of very beautiful girls. However they had their problems and problems that would have presented me with many problem had I won a huge jackpot....

My wife is beautiful, 5'8" 120 LBS and very pretty. but what sets her apart from other girls I've been with is that I know I can trust her completely. No issue there at all. I know she is the Love of my life and she tells me that I am the love of her life all the time.

To me that is bigger than winning a huge lottery jackpot. don't get me wrong I still play my couple dollar when the jackpot gets big..  But in the Lottery of life (Lotto means destiny) I've already won in that I have a wife that I am attracted to on all levels.... Emotionally, Intellectually, Idealogically, Spiritually, and Physically. That is huge.

You know in regards to winning the lottery we've independently of each other made out lists of how we would spend various lottery prize amounts and they matched..    cept I was a tad more generous to our kids (one each from previous marriages)  lol.... I'd buy them each a car and house dependent on the size of a win so that they could concentrate on Uni....  when the time comes. She'd nix the house... lol

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                    Member #50124
                    February 26, 2007
                    601 Posts
                    Posted: June 29, 2007, 5:25 pm - IP Logged

I'm glad I didn't win a huge jackpot when I was younger for this reason. I pr'y would not have met my wife if I had then.

When I was younger I dated alot of very beautiful girls. However they had their problems and problems that would have presented me with many problem had I won a huge jackpot....

My wife is beautiful, 5'8" 120 LBS and very pretty. but what sets her apart from other girls I've been with is that I know I can trust her completely. No issue there at all. I know she is the Love of my life and she tells me that I am the love of her life all the time.

To me that is bigger than winning a huge lottery jackpot. don't get me wrong I still play my couple dollar when the jackpot gets big..  But in the Lottery of life (Lotto means destiny) I've already won in that I have a wife that I am attracted to on all levels.... Emotionally, Intellectually, Idealogically, Spiritually, and Physically. That is huge.

You know in regards to winning the lottery we've independently of each other made out lists of how we would spend various lottery prize amounts and they matched..    cept I was a tad more generous to our kids (one each from previous marriages)  lol.... I'd buy them each a car and house dependent on the size of a win so that they could concentrate on Uni....  when the time comes. She'd nix the house... lol

I think this subject is worthy of a new topic.  How would your life have been different had you won a large jackpot in your early 20's.  And would the change, good or bad, have been worth it, just to be wealthy.

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                      Wandering Aimlessly
                      United States
                      Member #25360
                      November 5, 2005
                      4461 Posts
                      Posted: June 29, 2007, 5:39 pm - IP Logged

I think this subject is worthy of a new topic.  How would your life have been different had you won a large jackpot in your early 20's.  And would the change, good or bad, have been worth it, just to be wealthy.

Yes, that is a good subject, Lilly.  However, I have no idea how different my life would be now. Without a doubt, money would have had a great influence on the path I took, which was not necessarily the path I chose.

Coin Toss's avatar - shape barbed.jpg
                        Zeta Reticuli Star System
                        United States
                        Member #30470
                        January 17, 2006
                        10392 Posts
                        Posted: June 29, 2007, 6:00 pm - IP Logged

For the last part of my twenties I was living in Las Vegas and thus hitting a jackpot would have probably been an absolute disaster.

Not necessarily from me, which granted might have happened, but by "influence" from others, too.  

I remember Woody Allen's lawyer commenting on divorces and he said something that can apply here, he said that everybody basically becomes a different person every 20 years or so, so when you have two people married to each other, 20 years later they are both different people, and he was surprised that anybody stay together.  

Those who run the lotteries love it when players look for consistency in something that's designed not to have any.

Lep

There is one and only one 'proven' system, and that is to book the action. No matter the game, let the players pick their own losers.

LuckyLilly's avatar - savy chick.png

United States
                          Member #50124
                          February 26, 2007
                          601 Posts
                          Posted: June 29, 2007, 8:31 pm - IP Logged

Yes, that is a good subject, Lilly.  However, I have no idea how different my life would be now. Without a doubt, money would have had a great influence on the path I took, which was not necessarily the path I chose.

I'm not sure how mine would be different, either.  Maybe the only difference would be that at least I would feel like I had a choice as to the paths I had taken.  Looking back, I realize the only choices I made were to make no choices.  lol  I went where I thought I could make the most money, or wherever life threw me, feeling I had to chase the buck in order to get ahead, even if I wasn't thrilled about the job or the location, and staying with a job even tho I was miserable working with a particular group of people.

I've always lived within my means, so I do think I'd still have money left.   The only thing I'd have done back then that I'd regret now is that I'd have given a bunch of money to my family.  Now that I've pulled my head out of my ahem, I see that would have been a mistake. 

As far as relationships, I'm not sure if I'd have been duped by guys attracted to me only for my money, or if I'd have hardened myself to all relationships and not had any that were meaningful.  Knowing me, either scenario would have been very possible.  

United States
                            Member #17555
                            June 22, 2005
                            5582 Posts
                            Posted: June 29, 2007, 8:57 pm - IP Logged

maybe

Westerose
                              Canada
                              Member #52915
                              June 15, 2007
                              189 Posts
                              Posted: June 30, 2007, 7:36 am - IP Logged

I'm not sure how mine would be different, either.  Maybe the only difference would be that at least I would feel like I had a choice as to the paths I had taken.  Looking back, I realize the only choices I made were to make no choices.  lol  I went where I thought I could make the most money, or wherever life threw me, feeling I had to chase the buck in order to get ahead, even if I wasn't thrilled about the job or the location, and staying with a job even tho I was miserable working with a particular group of people.

I've always lived within my means, so I do think I'd still have money left.   The only thing I'd have done back then that I'd regret now is that I'd have given a bunch of money to my family.  Now that I've pulled my head out of my ahem, I see that would have been a mistake. 

As far as relationships, I'm not sure if I'd have been duped by guys attracted to me only for my money, or if I'd have hardened myself to all relationships and not had any that were meaningful.  Knowing me, either scenario would have been very possible.  

I would say it's much better to win after you are in a relationship with someone that actually loves you...  that is huge.  it does happen....  some of the ones where their marriage dissolve and such it would have happened regardless of a lottery win or was on it's way there before.....

Some well it might not have happened except that one partner found out about anothers short comings because of the media spotlight on the winner IE Jack Whittakar.... sure he was going to strip clubs and what not before the lottery win.....  it's not just something you start doing because of lottery win.... "hmmmmm won the lottery think I will start going to the pink pony" yeah right