Welcome Guest
You last visited December 10, 2016, 11:02 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

does age play a factor when winning the jackpot?

Topic closed. 57 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Clairvoyance.

Page 3 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

yes [ 32 ]  [43.24%]
no [ 42 ]  [56.76%]
Total Valid Votes [ 74 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
Member #14
November 9, 2001
31369 Posts
Posted: June 30, 2007, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

I would say it's much better to win after you are in a relationship with someone that actually loves you...  that is huge.  it does happen....  some of the ones where their marriage dissolve and such it would have happened regardless of a lottery win or was on it's way there before.....

Some well it might not have happened except that one partner found out about anothers short comings because of the media spotlight on the winner IE Jack Whittakar.... sure he was going to strip clubs and what not before the lottery win.....  it's not just something you start doing because of lottery win.... "hmmmmm won the lottery think I will start going to the pink pony" yeah right

I'm marking today on my calendar in Big red X.  I actually agree with you.

Big Grin Angel

love to nibble those micey feet.

Westerose
    Canada
    Member #52915
    June 15, 2007
    189 Posts
    Posted: July 1, 2007, 3:07 am - IP Logged

I'm marking today on my calendar in Big red X.  I actually agree with you.

Big Grin Angel

Thank You :)

I do realize that some of what I post can be extreme at times.

But I hope that everyone else here can agree that true love is far more important than having huge amounts of money.  I  know it is to me. Money can't hug you or kiss you or wipe your tears when you're having a hard time of things.

Still want to win a huge jackpot but I've won a huge prize already with my wife and our relationship.

Even though I talk about winning and things for others to avoid if they win...... I realize this important fact........

Money can't give you your last kiss when you make your exit from this world.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

United States
      Member #51688
      April 19, 2007
      200 Posts
      Posted: July 1, 2007, 3:47 am - IP Logged

I checked "yes" too quickly.  I was thinking that age makes a difference in how you invest the money.  However, I totally agree that it depends on the person. 

I think  age  does  not  make  a  factor ,but  wisdom  does  play  a  huge  role:

Real  old  people  who  hit  in  thier  65-80  yr;  tend  to  be  given  over  to  sugguestio...in  other words  people  tell  them  to  buy  this  and  to  buy  that ;  when  it  comes  to  new  cars  I  bet  the  chldren  and  grandsons  and  daughters  asked  for  it ,just  so  they  could  drive  it ,they  could  care  less  about  the  payments  then  after  all  the  gifts  they  beg  the  old  farts  out  of  some cold-cash ,untill  its  gone......It  seems  that  once  you  reach  old  age  people  don't  want  you  to  have  large  sums  of  money  for  yourselves , and  people  will  do  anything  to  get  it  from  them  ,even  murder ...because  it  has  happened  so  many  times  and  it  does  not  have  to  be  a  million dolars  ...people  are  greedy  and  self-centered ,and  could  care  less that  the  people  who  won  it  ,could  live  a  lot  better  life  style  and  happier  ,if  people  just  leave  them  alone ...mabey  they  won  it  because  they  deservd  it  better than  any  one  elese  at  the  time:

Westerose
        Canada
        Member #52915
        June 15, 2007
        189 Posts
        Posted: July 1, 2007, 3:57 am - IP Logged

I think  age  does  not  make  a  factor ,but  wisdom  does  play  a  huge  role:

Real  old  people  who  hit  in  thier  65-80  yr;  tend  to  be  given  over  to  sugguestio...in  other words  people  tell  them  to  buy  this  and  to  buy  that ;  when  it  comes  to  new  cars  I  bet  the  chldren  and  grandsons  and  daughters  asked  for  it ,just  so  they  could  drive  it ,they  could  care  less  about  the  payments  then  after  all  the  gifts  they  beg  the  old  farts  out  of  some cold-cash ,untill  its  gone......It  seems  that  once  you  reach  old  age  people  don't  want  you  to  have  large  sums  of  money  for  yourselves , and  people  will  do  anything  to  get  it  from  them  ,even  murder ...because  it  has  happened  so  many  times  and  it  does  not  have  to  be  a  million dolars  ...people  are  greedy  and  self-centered ,and  could  care  less that  the  people  who  won  it  ,could  live  a  lot  better  life  style  and  happier  ,if  people  just  leave  them  alone ...mabey  they  won  it  because  they  deservd  it  better than  any  one  elese  at  the  time:

No one really deserves to win more than anyone else. That is an illusion.

But then again the line "He/She deserved to win that thing" at times has been a curse rather than a blessing.

You live a life of abundance! You have won the lottery! Belief creates reality! Believe!

Honduras
          Member #20982
          August 29, 2005
          4715 Posts
          Posted: July 6, 2007, 10:31 pm - IP Logged

for instance.is a 40 or 50 year old person better off in handling their money than a 20 or maybe 30 year old would be.the younger you are the more likely you are to blow it all foolishly?

I am ambivalent about the subject...Yeah it is true that a 40 or 50 year old is better off handling their money than a 20 year old..It is very true...I also have this weird belief that the older you are the more likely you are to win the jackpot...

But what is also true but overlooked is that when you are older and the older you get the more "PICKY" you get...I know for instance than when i was 18 i was happy with having my house, any house...And i am sure some of you felt that way when you were 18, you probably was happy with a car, a nice decent car...But as you grow older you tend to be more picky and this pickiness tends to cost more...I am sure as you grow older you don't want any house but you want a house in a subdivision, with a swimming pool, with lawn, etc, etc, and this tends to cost more...The same scenario with your car selection...I am sure when you turn 40 you would want a luxury sedan rather than your average new 12,000 dollar toyota corolla that you wanted when you just turn 19 (and when you are 40 you probably would want one for your kids, wife, etc, etc)...I've also noticed that when you are 22 you don't think much about TV size, but as you grow older you want a big screen HD tv, etc, etc, etc....I also think you fly more when you are older than when you are younger, but that's just me...This are some of the few examples...Not only in money factors but in everything else you do when you are older you tend to be more "picky" and i think that's fact...

"The Truth is out there"                  from movie "The X-Files"....

United States
            Member #16612
            June 2, 2005
            3493 Posts
            Posted: August 4, 2007, 1:38 am - IP Logged

My vote is yes. If someone wins a jackpot at an old age, I hope they don't have financial problems later in life.

LOTTOMIKE's avatar - cash money.jpg
              Tennessee
              United States
              Member #7853
              October 15, 2004
              11338 Posts
              Posted: August 4, 2007, 1:41 am - IP Logged

I am ambivalent about the subject...Yeah it is true that a 40 or 50 year old is better off handling their money than a 20 year old..It is very true...I also have this weird belief that the older you are the more likely you are to win the jackpot...

But what is also true but overlooked is that when you are older and the older you get the more "PICKY" you get...I know for instance than when i was 18 i was happy with having my house, any house...And i am sure some of you felt that way when you were 18, you probably was happy with a car, a nice decent car...But as you grow older you tend to be more picky and this pickiness tends to cost more...I am sure as you grow older you don't want any house but you want a house in a subdivision, with a swimming pool, with lawn, etc, etc, and this tends to cost more...The same scenario with your car selection...I am sure when you turn 40 you would want a luxury sedan rather than your average new 12,000 dollar toyota corolla that you wanted when you just turn 19 (and when you are 40 you probably would want one for your kids, wife, etc, etc)...I've also noticed that when you are 22 you don't think much about TV size, but as you grow older you want a big screen HD tv, etc, etc, etc....I also think you fly more when you are older than when you are younger, but that's just me...This are some of the few examples...Not only in money factors but in everything else you do when you are older you tend to be more "picky" and i think that's fact...

"The Truth is out there"                  from movie "The X-Files"....

imagine a teenager buying a ticket and hitting the powerball....

mylollipop's avatar - Trek STLOGO6.png

United States
                Member #24380
                October 21, 2005
                623 Posts
                Posted: August 6, 2007, 1:57 am - IP Logged

Great topic. And to answer, most definitely! Coin Toss nailed it, I certainly wouldn't be spending my money on the latest record albums, concerts and movie posters like I did in my teens and 20's. (Whoops,am I showing my age? Records?!! What are those??) Nowadays it would be necessities and nest eggs.

I Agree!

United States
                  Member #51688
                  April 19, 2007
                  200 Posts
                  Posted: August 6, 2007, 2:21 am - IP Logged

No one really deserves to win more than anyone else. That is an illusion.

But then again the line "He/She deserved to win that thing" at times has been a curse rather than a blessing.

Some  peope  have  led  a  better  life  and  have  been  more  giving  and  caring  than  others  ...thats  why  God  , decided  that  they  should  win  and  not  someone  elese;

Not  to  be  confused  with  hard-harted  idividuals  who  won  by  sheere  luck ...or  people  who  mis-spent  the  money ...The  Bible  calls  it  proper stewerting ..  a  fool  and  and  his  money  are  soon  parted !!!!!!!!!!

.Party

NY
                    United States
                    Member #23835
                    October 16, 2005
                    3475 Posts
                    Posted: August 6, 2007, 12:13 pm - IP Logged

"thats  why  God  , decided  that  they  should  win  and  not  someone  elese"

Jack Whittaker netted more than $100 million after taxes, and Mother Theresa is dead. Your god has an odd sense of humor.

AuntiePat's avatar - animaniacs10
                      Just outside of Cleveland, OH
                      United States
                      Member #54079
                      August 3, 2007
                      106 Posts
                      Posted: August 6, 2007, 6:56 pm - IP Logged

My vote is NO-

stupid is as stupid does at any age...

I Agree!

Nailed it--can I change my vote, please?

United States
                        Member #51688
                        April 19, 2007
                        200 Posts
                        Posted: August 7, 2007, 12:23 am - IP Logged

Jack Whittaker netted more than $100 million after taxes, and Mother Theresa is dead. Your god has an odd sense of humor.

whats  your  point  ????????? are  you  questioning  GOD  or  HIS  decissions  ....and  so  what  if  someone  Blows  a  fortuion ,everyone  has  freedom  of  will  , thats  what ( sense  of  humour)  My  GOD  ;  has  @ peole  blow  it  but  when  you  have  a  real  God  , you  can  always  play  and  win  aagain @

United States
                          Member #51688
                          April 19, 2007
                          200 Posts
                          Posted: August 12, 2007, 1:51 pm - IP Logged

I voted yes, but it is a qualified yes.  Some people can handle their finances while they are still in high school.  Some never learn to handle their finances without getting in trouble.  BUT - some people also learn from experience, and will do a much better job of managing their money in their 50s, for example, than they did in their 20s.  As a wild guess, let's say that 50% of the people will make much better choices with the additional 30 years experience in living.  So in that sense, yes, age makes a difference, but it is far from an absolute.

pretty  good  assumtion .....time  is  a  good  healer  in  a  lot  of  ways.....get  the  wisdom  then  play  ,  but  not  so  sure  your  odds  off  winning  would  increase;

United States
                            Member #54138
                            August 6, 2007
                            15 Posts
                            Posted: August 14, 2007, 2:40 am - IP Logged

Well, my faith has taken me places money never will................

And I believe that Mother Theresa would say the same if she were here........(I think she was far MORE richer than Jack Whittaker ever could be........)

There are times where I felt rich even when I did not have a lot of money and I know from personal experiences that true riches have nothing to do with the size of your bank account. 

(I really believe that all money does is give you more freedom to choose).

But, if you were lousy with money before a windfall (and you do NOTHING to prepare/educate yourself about money management)...then you will be lousy with it after a windfall....regardless of age.

In my opinion, IF you do not educate yourself, exercise boundaries....and understand that you must balance compassion with responsibility.......(something that Mr. Whittaker obviously DID NOT DO).............

then it does not matter your age.......or how much money you have.......you will continue to make "bad decisions" not only in money, but in life as welll.

Love, character, faith, compassion, wisdom and intergrity are things that you can not put a price tag on........and God knows that those traits would be of great value to ANYONE, young or old........whether you're a jackpot winner (Jack Whittaker)............OR not (Mother Theresa).

psykomo's avatar - animal shark.jpg

United States
                              Member #4877
                              May 30, 2004
                              5124 Posts
                              Posted: August 14, 2007, 7:09 pm - IP Logged

for instance.is a 40 or 50 year old person better off in handling their money than a 20 or maybe 30 year old would be.the younger you are the more likely you are to blow it all foolishly?

NO....lm.......!!!!!!

NOT when it is connected to money & the LOTTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what's age got to do........with'it

what's LUV got to do.......with'it

..............got to do.......with'it

LOL^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LUV.........(that is) lottery ????

PSYKOMO