Welcome Guest
You last visited December 8, 2016, 10:57 am
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

does age play a factor when winning the jackpot?

Topic closed. 57 replies. Last post 9 years ago by Clairvoyance.

Page 4 of 4
PrintE-mailLink

yes [ 32 ]  [43.24%]
no [ 42 ]  [56.76%]
Total Valid Votes [ 74 ]  
Discarded Votes [ 1 ]  
csfb's avatar - Lottery-001.jpg

United States
Member #15309
May 13, 2005
307 Posts
Posted: August 25, 2007, 7:21 am - IP Logged

NO....lm.......!!!!!!

NOT when it is connected to money & the LOTTERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what's age got to do........with'it

what's LUV got to do.......with'it

..............got to do.......with'it

LOL^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LUV.........(that is) lottery ????

PSYKOMO 

Pssyykkoooooooooooooooomoo,,,,,, iiii ............  agreeeee w///  yah ^^^^^^^^^^^!!!!!!!!!Troll

Sun Smiley             

DC81's avatar - batman39
    MI
    United States
    Member #54830
    August 31, 2007
    985 Posts
    Posted: August 31, 2007, 1:12 pm - IP Logged

Hi, I first browsed these forums lastnight and tonight felt compelled to join and respond after reading this topic.

Like others have said, I don't think age has anything to do with it either and I believe that it largely depends on the person, people who don't either learn from past mistakes, their own or others. That or they just can't handle the it. If I were to win, say 100 million dollars after taxes I'd not give a nickle to anyone aside my mother and grandmother and the amount I'd give either of them would only be what I'd think they could handle. I don't really like most of my family/relatives so I don't feel complelled to "share the wealth" with any of them, especially after witnessing what they did over the years with my grandmother after my grandfather had an accident and she gained control of the finances, which was a bad thing since she had little to no experience with handling it and they all got in her ear and bled her nearly dry. Same goes to charities from my experineces of witnessing how vulture like many of them can be.

From my own previous experiences, I'd try my damnedest to fight that impulse to buy junk I don't need at least to an extent, much of which I really don't have an interest in in the first place so it wouldn't be a problem and I'm not going to develop new, stupid ones. There's no reason why I couldn't live off a fraction of the interest 100 million dollars would generate. I have no interest in a excessively large home or at this point in my life, buying a home period nor do I have interest in expensive cars or a number of other things. When I invest I wouldn't get over my head and would try to keep it simple. Though there is a part of me that has this idea of a vault filled with gold and platinum... Which would just be asking for robbers if anyone found out about it.  I would certainly leave Michigan though and go to one of the states with no state income tax where I'd try to live as anonymous of a life as possible, after getting out of Michigan and being likely exposed as winning.

I can see myself staying pretty much the same, just being able to chase those dreams a little easier and probably being a even bigger nerd. Of course now with saying that, I'd probably end up losing it mentally and financially within five years. Rant 

You can't predict random.

RJOh's avatar - chipmunk
      mid-Ohio
      United States
      Member #9
      March 24, 2001
      19828 Posts
      Posted: August 31, 2007, 9:15 pm - IP Logged

"I don't really like most of my family/relatives so I don't feel complelled to "share the wealth" with any of them"
        by DC81

When it comes to sharing their money, there's not too many people that most people like.  Asking someone for their money is usually the end of a good relationship or the start of a robbery.

* you don't need to buy more tickets, just buy a winning ticket * 

Evil Looking       

Down's avatar - Sphere animated2.gif
        Riverside, Ca
        United States
        Member #21722
        September 14, 2005
        173 Posts
        Posted: August 31, 2007, 9:20 pm - IP Logged

age plays a factor in how you spend the money not how you win it...but it seems like older people win the lottery more then younger people.

DC81's avatar - batman39
          MI
          United States
          Member #54830
          August 31, 2007
          985 Posts
          Posted: August 31, 2007, 9:42 pm - IP Logged

"I don't really like most of my family/relatives so I don't feel complelled to "share the wealth" with any of them"
            by DC81

When it comes to sharing their money, there's not too many people that most people like.  Asking someone for their money is usually the end of a good relationship or the start of a robbery.

Heh, when it comes to certain relatives of mine, robbery or worse is almost certain. So I'd have to move fast.Big Smile I just see how many big lottery winners end up spreading it around and in the end have the typical lotto winner/loser story. I can just see what would happen if it were I who won, if I were to share or whatever, they'd just end up screwing up their own lives and then wanting more to "fix" their problems. Best way to stop that is not give them anything, they don't deserve it anyway. Of course then yeah, robbery is a very possible issue, thankfully not something I'll really have to worry about when it comes to the lottery. ;)

I haven't played that often, only a couple tickets on the big jackpots, most I've ever won was in Florida back in early 2002 when I won ten bucks back to back. Might have been 15, can't remember.

Clairvoyance's avatar - eye storm.jpg

United States
            Member #26882
            November 23, 2005
            1404 Posts
            Posted: September 1, 2007, 11:10 pm - IP Logged

for instance.is a 40 or 50 year old person better off in handling their money than a 20 or maybe 30 year old would be.the younger you are the more likely you are to blow it all foolishly?

Yes Nod

Tis the same as sex Lotto Mike........Don't 40 or 50 year olds handle things better? Its called experience LOL!

DC81's avatar - batman39
              MI
              United States
              Member #54830
              August 31, 2007
              985 Posts
              Posted: September 2, 2007, 1:53 am - IP Logged

I believe experience comes from practice, not age. Not to mention one's natural ability to handle rising to the occasion when oppertunity exposes itself.

SoBe Yourself's avatar - lizard3
                Baltimore
                United States
                Member #54999
                September 5, 2007
                47 Posts
                Posted: September 8, 2007, 12:17 am - IP Logged

I don't think so at all. I think in any case, young or old, it depends on the individual person, NOT how old they are. I can think of plenty of 40 something year olds that would be very foolish with money, while I can think of plenty of 20 something year olds who would probably make it double.

After thinking about this question for a long time, I decided to vote yes for several reasons. However, I would have to agree with this response wholeheartedly. Everyone would answer this differently.

"Greed makes people do strange things."

-classic Peanuts cartoon strip

SoBe Yourself's avatar - lizard3
                  Baltimore
                  United States
                  Member #54999
                  September 5, 2007
                  47 Posts
                  Posted: September 8, 2007, 12:19 am - IP Logged

Yes Nod

Tis the same as sex Lotto Mike........Don't 40 or 50 year olds handle things better? Its called experience LOL!

And that is why I prefer a more sophisticated woman. Amen!

Big Smile

"Greed makes people do strange things."

-classic Peanuts cartoon strip

Austin, Texas
                    United States
                    Member #55063
                    September 9, 2007
                    4 Posts
                    Posted: September 9, 2007, 1:08 am - IP Logged

I think anyone with crappy money management skills at any age would blow their winnings in a heart beat. Though, being younger may have a higher chance of blowing it all. I know if I won a large, life changing amount of money, I would want to make damn sure I never ran out of money and invest it wisely.

DC81's avatar - batman39
                      MI
                      United States
                      Member #54830
                      August 31, 2007
                      985 Posts
                      Posted: September 9, 2007, 8:36 am - IP Logged

To me, there are more ways to blow it as you get older, especially when it comes to family if you have kids/grandkids/whatever. You also have a lot more time to think about all the things you've always wanted to do. But I do think it primarily come down to the person and not their age so much.

United States
                        Member #26882
                        November 23, 2005
                        1404 Posts
                        Posted: September 12, 2007, 10:58 pm - IP Logged

I believe experience comes from practice, not age. Not to mention one's natural ability to handle rising to the occasion when oppertunity exposes itself.

Thumbs UpDC81

Well you have a good "POINT" there.....pun intended! LOL!

United States
                          Member #26882
                          November 23, 2005
                          1404 Posts
                          Posted: September 12, 2007, 11:03 pm - IP Logged

And that is why I prefer a more sophisticated woman. Amen!

Big Smile

BananaSophisticated or Just Older? I have heard good things about older men!