Welcome Guest
You last visited December 4, 2016, 5:20 pm
All times shown are
Eastern Time (GMT-5:00)

Those "raffle" lottery games

Topic closed. 42 replies. Last post 9 years ago by tnlotto1.

Page 1 of 3
PrintE-mailLink
Grand Rapids, Michigan
United States
Member #53008
June 19, 2007
67 Posts
Posted: July 1, 2007, 10:06 am - IP Logged

Is it worth spending $20 on one of those "raffle" lottery games?  The reason I ask is because my state, Michigan, is again doing one of those $20 raffle games.  I mean should I throw down $20 on one ticket or would it be wiser for me financially to just use the $20 to play other games and/or buy scratch off tickets?  It's hard for me to justifiy spending $20 on just one ticket.  Any advice out there will be greatly appreciated.

Kentucky
    United States
    Member #32652
    February 14, 2006
    7298 Posts
    Posted: July 1, 2007, 3:50 pm - IP Logged

Is it worth spending $20 on one of those "raffle" lottery games?  The reason I ask is because my state, Michigan, is again doing one of those $20 raffle games.  I mean should I throw down $20 on one ticket or would it be wiser for me financially to just use the $20 to play other games and/or buy scratch off tickets?  It's hard for me to justifiy spending $20 on just one ticket.  Any advice out there will be greatly appreciated.

"Is it worth spending $20 on one of those "raffle" lottery games?"

With any game of chance the perception will change when the results are known. It's pretty obvious that somebody winning $1000 - $1Million in the last $20 raffle will say it was worth it and some of those people winning nothing will say it was not worth it.

The reason I said "some" is because even though they won nothing, other players might believe it was still a good bet and make it again. Since Michigan has been selling out their raffle tickets quickly, it looks like those players believe it's worth it.

"I mean should I throw down $20 on one ticket or would it be wiser for me financially to just use the $20 to play other games and/or buy scratch off tickets?"

This is mostly personal preference but if you want to compare apples to apples, see which other games offer similar prizes with similar odds betting the same $20. I know some scratch-off players that even don't care if the lottery offers other games; they continue to scratch until they are out of money. With raffles you usually have to wait at least 5 weeks before the drawing so if that $20 represents your entire lottery budget for that period of time, you won't be playing anything else.

"It's hard for me to justifiy spending $20 on just one ticket. Any advice out there will be greatly appreciated."

If you only have $20 and are looking for action and quick results, I wouldn't suggest getting one raffle ticket.

United States
      Member #34266
      March 1, 2006
      188 Posts
      Posted: July 1, 2007, 4:50 pm - IP Logged

I played a $20.00 NY raffale ticket "once",  when the results came in there was no winner from my county, I never played again.  NYC counties seem to be very lucky counties.  If I were to play any lotto games again, it would only be in NYC.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
        nashville
        United States
        Member #49896
        February 18, 2007
        1181 Posts
        Posted: July 1, 2007, 5:26 pm - IP Logged

I played a $20.00 NY raffale ticket "once",  when the results came in there was no winner from my county, I never played again.  NYC counties seem to be very lucky counties.  If I were to play any lotto games again, it would only be in NYC.

it depends on the person if they are comfortable spending that much on one ticket but in georgia the raffle is $20 so i was there to get megamillions and i decided to try the raffle anyway because the odds are posted as better than a larger jackpot game like megamillions so i didnt mind it but if you think its too much then you should follow your heart either direction

Grand Rapids, Michigan
          United States
          Member #53008
          June 19, 2007
          67 Posts
          Posted: July 1, 2007, 7:27 pm - IP Logged

Well, I did it.  I bought 1 of the raffle tickets.  I guess I'll see whether or not it was worth it in about a week.  Apparently the Michigan lottery says it will draw the winners a week after the last ticket is sold, so I won't have to wait long to find out.  Stay tuned and I'll let you know if I win anything.

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
            nashville
            United States
            Member #49896
            February 18, 2007
            1181 Posts
            Posted: July 1, 2007, 8:13 pm - IP Logged

Well, I did it.  I bought 1 of the raffle tickets.  I guess I'll see whether or not it was worth it in about a week.  Apparently the Michigan lottery says it will draw the winners a week after the last ticket is sold, so I won't have to wait long to find out.  Stay tuned and I'll let you know if I win anything.

good luck milottoplayer you only need one ticket to win. if i lived in michigan i would take advantage of those many raffles they have...

sirbrad's avatar - Lottery-062.jpg
              PA
              United States
              Member #22983
              October 6, 2005
              2226 Posts
              Posted: July 2, 2007, 12:49 pm - IP Logged

I got one, it is only worth it if you win. Best chance at a million you will ever get. (1:125,000)

emilyg's avatar - cat anm.gif

United States
                Member #14
                November 9, 2001
                31343 Posts
                Posted: July 2, 2007, 1:04 pm - IP Logged

Last time in ga. i bought 4 - this time 1 only.

love to nibble those micey feet.

Kentucky
                  United States
                  Member #32652
                  February 14, 2006
                  7298 Posts
                  Posted: July 2, 2007, 5:03 pm - IP Logged

I got one, it is only worth it if you win. Best chance at a million you will ever get. (1:125,000)

Last week I drove to PA and bought a $20 raffle ticket. There are also five $100,000 winners, 200 $1000 winners and 7567 $100 winners so the overall odds of winning anything are 1 in 80.

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
                    Florida
                    United States
                    Member #6147
                    August 8, 2004
                    1396 Posts
                    Posted: July 2, 2007, 5:08 pm - IP Logged

I went to buy one on Saturday and the terminal was down.  Went back today and they were sold out!!!

Good Luck!

Stavros

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                      nashville
                      United States
                      Member #49896
                      February 18, 2007
                      1181 Posts
                      Posted: July 2, 2007, 6:28 pm - IP Logged

I went to buy one on Saturday and the terminal was down.  Went back today and they were sold out!!!

which states raffle was sold out?

stavros's avatar - avatar 6898.gif
                        Florida
                        United States
                        Member #6147
                        August 8, 2004
                        1396 Posts
                        Posted: July 2, 2007, 6:45 pm - IP Logged

FL - drawing is July 4

Good Luck!

Stavros

tnlotto1's avatar - logo
                          nashville
                          United States
                          Member #49896
                          February 18, 2007
                          1181 Posts
                          Posted: July 2, 2007, 6:49 pm - IP Logged

FL - drawing is July 4

ga raffle is on the 7th and they still havent sold out but kentucky says they will extend their drawing date until all the tickets are sold out...

justxploring's avatar - villiarna
                            Wandering Aimlessly
                            United States
                            Member #25360
                            November 5, 2005
                            4461 Posts
                            Posted: July 2, 2007, 7:04 pm - IP Logged

I bought one of the FL tickets on Sunday.  After I plunked down $20 I had "buyer's remorse" but I'm doing my best to focus on the positive.  I'll be happy if I win the $10,000 prize.  There were only about 14,000 left when I bought it.  By 9 they were gone.  Maybe that's a good thing since I was thinking of getting another one.  Last time I didn't buy a ticket.  This time I have even less money. Guess that's a little crazy, but I'll be checking the numbers on Wednesday.

Sorry I can't answer your question.  It's all luck. I asked a similar question last week on LP.  Then I just said "I'll buy a darn ticket!"  Who knows?

Grand Rapids, Michigan
                              United States
                              Member #53008
                              June 19, 2007
                              67 Posts
                              Posted: July 2, 2007, 7:35 pm - IP Logged

That's horrible!  I think one of the reasons I just decided to buy one was because if I kept debating the pros and cons in my mind, by the time I actually decided to buy one they would have all been sold out!  In the past the raffle tickets have sold quickly in Michigan!  Good luck to everyone who has decided to buy one!  I wouldn't mind being just one of the 2500 people who will win $500.  That would make me incredibly happy!